"The Batman - The Riddler: Year One (2022 Mini-Series)" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Discuss this special The Batman comic series!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Discover the backstory to The Batman's terrifying foe, The Riddler, in this special DC Black Label series written by Paul Dano.

THE RIDDLER: YEAR ONE #1

riddlery1tb.jpg

Art by: Stevan Subic
Written by: Paul Dano

Actor and writer Paul Dano understands the Riddler’s every motivation… As depicted in Matt Reeves’s hit movie The Batman, the Riddler wasn’t simply an amusing eccentric with an affinity for wordplay and baffling clues, but as terrifying a villain as any in the annals of the Dark Knight.

Here you can see Edward Nashton evolve into the menace known as the Riddler. How did an unknown forensic accountant uncover the dark secrets of Gotham’s underworld and come so close to bringing down the entire city? This six-issue miniseries is an immediate prequel to The Batman-the detailed, disturbing, and at times shocking story of a man with nothing to lose. Artist Stevan Subic makes his American comics debut, collaborating with Dano to deliver a shadowy and gritty tale of a society’s forgotten man who refuses to go unnoticed any longer. Subic’s recent Conan the Cimmerian for French publisher Glénat has brought him great acclaim in Europe, and he’s about to break out globally with a Batman series unlike any you’ve seen before.

Rate and discuss this special DC Comics release!

Related Discussions:

-The Batman (2022) Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Attachments

• riddleryearone.jpg
    riddleryearone.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 39

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The mini-series just concluded and if you're the type that reads all the tie-in material, this is highly recommended for The Batman. I think the movie gave Riddler enough development, but this comic takes it to another level. Not saying it humanizes him or makes him a more sympathetic character, but man, if this is what Paul Dano was carrying in his head while he filmed the movie, phew!

The only real nitpick I had had nothing to do with the story itself, was that each issue came out like every 2 months. If it wasn't for fellow old man @James Harvey reminding me and vice versa about an issue coming out, would have lost track of it, lol. The hardcover collection is set come out on November 21, knock wood.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I'm usually wary of the recent trend of actors writing comics about their characters, but this has been one of the few exceptions. True, the backstory of Eddie Nashton as a loner who stumbles upon corruption in his day job plays out as one would expect, but the approach the comic takes to his psyche makes it downright spellbinding and ambitious. Issue 5 is the standout since it takes place almost entirely within Eddie's journal.
The only real nitpick I had had nothing to do with the story itself, was that each issue came out like every 2 months. If it wasn't for fellow old man @James Harvey reminding me and vice versa about an issue coming out, would have lost track of it, lol. The hardcover collection is set come out on November 21, knock wood.
Between Batman: The Audio Adventures and Batman '89, I've gotten almost used to long gaps between issues.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The hardcover collection for the this special The Batman tie-in series from DC Comics is now available!

THE RIDDLER: YEAR ONE

0723DC188.jpg
0723DC189.jpg
[

Writer: Paul Dano
Artist: Stevan Subic

Award-winning actor Paul Dano expands upon the backstory of the character he played in Matt Reeves's hit movie The Batman. This version of the Riddler isn't simply an amusing eccentric with an affinity for wordplay and baffling clues, but as terrifying a villain as any in the annals of the Dark Knight. Here you will see Edward Nashton evolve into a menace who holds all of Gotham City in his grip. How did an unknown forensic accountant uncover the dark secrets of both Gotham's underworld and its political leaders and come so close to bringing down the entire city? This prequel to The Batman presents the detailed, disturbing, and at times shocking story of a man with nothing to lose. Dano is joined by acclaimed European artist Stevan Subic, making his American comics debut. Collects The Riddler: Year One #1-6.

Rate and Discuss The Riddler: Year One right here!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts