"The Incredible Hulk (1966) - The Complete Series" UK DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this DVD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Total voters

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Discuss the DVD for this classic series released today!

hulk66.jpg

Studio: Liberation Entertainment
Release Date: 25th August 2008

Synopsis: From the imagination of Marvel Comics' Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, The Incredible Hulk takes his first steps from the page to the small screen! Aired as part of the 1966 Marvel Superheroes TV series, the awesome beast is revealed in his original form - animated directly from the comic book pages. This 2-DVD box set brings together the complete original Hulk animated series for the first time.

Scientist Dr Bruce Banner oversees the detonation of an experimental gamma bomb. Just before the explosion a teenager, Rick Jones, strays in the danger area. Dr Banner saves the boy but is blasted with a full dose of gamma rays. That night he undergoes the very first transformation into the super-strong, sometimes near-mindless brute known as The Hulk.

As we don't have a completed talkback thread collection for The Incredible Hulk, and this is a bare bones disc, please comment on both the show and the DVD in this thread. Thank you.

1. Origin of the Hulk/Enter the Gorgon/To Be A Man
2. The Terror Of The Toadmen/Bruce Banner Wanted For Treason/Hulk Runs Amok
3. A Titan Rides The Train /The Horde Of Humanoids /Hulk On The Rampage
4. The Power Of Dr. Banner/Where Strides The Behemoth /Back From The Dead
5. Micro-Monsters/The Lair Of The Leader /To Live Again
6. Brawn Against Brain/Captured At Last/Enter... The Chameleon
7. Within This Monster Dwells A Man/Another World, Another Foe/The Wisdom Of The Watcher
8. The Space Phantom/Sting Of The Wasp/Exit The Hulk
9. Hulk Vs. Metal Master/The Master Tests His Metal/Mind Over Metal
10. The Ringmaster/Captive Of The Circus/The Grand Finale
11. Enter Tyrannus/Beauty And The Beast /They Dwell In The Depths
12. Terror Of The T-Gun /I... Against A World /Bruce Banner Is The Hulk
13. A Man Called Boomerang/The Hulk Intervenes/Less Than Monster, More than Man

Comments?

Danzigg

I received my copy the other day, It's great to see all the episodes together. A few things about the release...

As some of you may be aware each episode was comprised over 3 chapters each had there own title. Which I have noticed recently with the rest of the 60's Marvel Cartoons it's not split over 3 segments but edited into 1 episode. I'm glad to say each episode is over 3 chapters, So attention to detail! Nice.

The sound and picture are really good, sound more than picture, as sadly this is not the same restoration as the 60's Spider-Man had, this still looks dated, but hey you get past it.

The artwork, i was surprised by the most, as the artwork previewed on the Spider-Man & HAF DVD looks a trifle dodgy "Firestar!" cough, cough.
The DVD case goes into a cardboard sleeve and comes with a nice booklet detailing the episodes contained and even a reference to what issue each episode is adapted from.

The menu intro is still the same, no extras, just a trailer for Wolverine & the X-Men.

You know for £11.99 this is great, no wait better than great....Incredible!
Walking away from this you know folks Lib Ent get it, they really do get it, square on the jaw. I think future releases can only get better, and I'll be watching out for them when they arrive.

joltman

I received my copy the other day, It's great to see all the episodes together. A few things about the release...

As some of you may be aware each episode was comprised over 3 chapters each had there own title. Which I have noticed recently with the rest of the 60's Marvel Cartoons it's not split over 3 segments but edited into 1 episode. I'm glad to say each episode is over 3 chapters, So attention to detail! Nice.

The sound and picture are really good, sound more than picture, as sadly this is not the same restoration as the 60's Spider-Man had, this still looks dated, but hey you get past it.

The artwork, i was surprised by the most, as the artwork previewed on the Spider-Man & HAF DVD looks a trifle dodgy "Firestar!" cough, cough.
The DVD case goes into a cardboard sleeve and comes with a nice booklet detailing the episodes contained and even a reference to what issue each episode is adapted from.

The menu intro is still the same, no extras, just a trailer for Wolverine & the X-Men.

You know for £11.99 this is great, no wait better than great....Incredible!
Walking away from this you know folks Lib Ent get it, they really do get it, square on the jaw. I think future releases can only get better, and I'll be watching out for them when they arrive.
Does it actually have any Marvel Superheroes logo anywhere?

Jon T

Friendless Spidey
Does it actually have any Marvel Superheroes logo anywhere?

It doesn't have the actual 1966 Marvel Super Heroes logo or opening credits as originally broadcast; I don't believe that was ever transferred to any of the video masters, which is why every copy going around is from an old black & white print.

This set was pretty impressively put together, and much better than the releases of the other four series from Maximum Entertainment. This is likely the first time anywhere on home video that all 13 stories of Hulk (or indeed, any of the MSH series) have been released complete with all the original episode recaps. I also particularly liked the DVD menus, which make great use of the series' melodramatic stock music and sound effects. The included booklet is also an impressively put-together extra, even including writer and artist credits for the original comics the stories were based on.

The only thing that puzzled me was the fact that the episodes were not presented in production order. With "Origin of the Hulk" as the first episode, at first glance it seems as if the episodes were supposed to be arranged according to the publication order of the original stories, but that's not the case, and aside from the first two stories, all the rest are pretty much in a random order. Still, great to finally have these on DVD after all these years!

Danzigg

It doesn't have the actual 1966 Marvel Super Heroes logo or opening credits as originally broadcast; I don't believe that was ever transferred to any of the video masters, which is why every copy going around is from an old black & white print.

Do you have an image of this? I don't know if I'm getting confused with other Marvel logo where spidey flips and lands on Marvel.

Jon T

Friendless Spidey
You can find an image of the 1966 Marvel Super Heroes title logo here. I'm guessing this the one joltman was referring to. This logo was shown on a special set of open credits originally used on all the Marvel Super Heroes series. When they were split apart into five separate series for syndication, this opening and logo disappeared. There are black and white low-quality copies of the original opening to be found online though, which for the foreseeable future is probably the only place you'll ever see this opening.

Do you have an image of this? I don't know if I'm getting confused with other Marvel logo where spidey flips and lands on Marvel.

The logo you mention with the CGI Spider-Man is the production logo for Marvel Productions as shown at the end of episodes. The most likely future DVD candidates for series having this logo at the end of the episodes are the 70s/80s Marvel series, some of which were re-branded with it. It appears on the Robocop animated series Maximum Entertainment put out earlier this year.

Just a quick question here...

Some folks posting above have mentioned the chapters being edited into one long segment. Does that mean they've been re-edited? Do they have the cliffhangers and the individual intro titles for the three chapters of each storyline?

Inquiring minds want to know...I have a -ahem- "limited edition" DVD which has all the individual segments complete, but if it's all there and all complete, I'd much rather have an official version.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Sparklefan1234 wrote on Mejo's profile.
My unpopular post was because the movie was my first real exposure to Tom and Jerry as characters.

I like a lot of Disney's short cartoons that don't contain dialogue. :)
@Moe They've added a Nash Bridges channel to Freevee , Lionsgate made a Free channel, it first showed up on Direct TV stream a couple days ago.
How about the potential Gumball + Bocchi the Rock! animated crossover? What do you think about this/that potential one?

youtube Nickelodeon short uploaded Nick News roller coaster clip (from last year). Nick News hasn't had new episode since last March!
Shea Fontana's brother Casey died a few days ago.

Featured Posts