The Kingpin of Crime in Animation: A Retrospective

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
To celebrate the release of The Amazing Spider-Man 2, I will be taking a look back over far too many characters that are associated with the film and it's tie in video game. The images appear courtesy of Amazing Spider-Man .Info and Marvel Animation Age. Please let me know what you think. Enjoy!

Spider-Man has never been shy of crime lords. Since his original inception Spidey spent most of his time fighting supervillains and gangsters, rather than commies and aliens like most of the Marvel books at the time.

Debuting in the superlative Amazing Spider-Man #50 "Spider-Man No More!", The Kingpin was initially intended to be the biggest of the crime lords that had littered the earlier Spidey book. With John Romita Sr. taking over the artistic chores of Amazing Spider-Man following the shocking departure of Spider-Man co-creator Steve Dikto, he wanted the characters design to reflect that. Here's how he recalls The Kingpin's origins on the special features for the Daredevil movie DVD.

Stan's procedure used to be, he would leave me a little card on my drawing table saying next month, the character is going to be called The Kingpin. That's all. No description, no limitations, the sky was the limit. All the criminals, the master criminals that Steve Dikto and Jack Kirby had created has a similarity, they all lean, mean looking, moustached with a felt hat and a stripped suit, what I would call the established criminal type. So when he said The Kingpin of Crime, I immediately gave him the most different look I could. I fashioned him after a wall street tycoon baron type.â€

51VGF.jpg

Looking at Romita's early drawings of the character (who he cites as his favourite creation, much to the horror of Firestar fans) it's clear there's a Marlon Brando influence in there to me. He's now more of a Daredevil villain after Frank Miller took over the reigns of that book in the 80's and produced what I believe to be his finest ever work.

My own initial impressions of The Kingpin are not fond ones, despite him probably being my favourite Spidey villain. For you see, as a young lad, The Kingpin was the bane of my existence for several months. As the 6 year old I received the gift of a Mega Drive and a few games for Christmas, chief amongst them being Spider-Man Vs. The Kingpin. Unfortunately, Santa's elf got them in Japan and I had another month to get an adapter to play the bugger (although I later learned that if you saw the side of a Japanese Mega Drive cartridge off, it will still remarkably work on a British system!)

For those of you pour souls who don't own or haven't played the game, the story is a simple one; The Kingpin has planted a huge bomb that will destroy New York in 24 hours and has blamed it on Spider-Man. Offering a $100k reward for Spider-Man's capture, Fisk has turned the entire city against Spider-Man. Upon hearing rumours of Dr. Octopus hiding in a warehouse, the player breaks in and laying a beat down on Ock, he reveals that The Kingpin has hired plenty of his old villains to stop Spidey and they each hold a key to disarm the bomb. His investigations lead him the sewers to fight The Lizard (and we learn Foggy Nelson is right, there are alligators in the sewers!), Electro at a power plant (stopping the transmissions, clever boy Spidey) and The Sandman in Central Park, where all the thugs hang out. Upon realising that he has no further leads after that, he simply comes out into the open as Spidey to see "who else tries to beat my brains out?" before further confrontations with Hobgoblin and Venom (who later kidnaps Mary Jane eventually lead to a final confrontation with The Kingpin with Mary Jane moments away from sinking into a vat of acid.

Spider-ManvsTheKingpinU_000.jpg

The game is based on then Amazing Spider-Man artist Todd McFarcline’s models and they look outstanding for a 16bit game. The people behind were clearly Spider-Man fans or did their homework there's plenty of nods here, including a cameo from J. Jonah Jameson and one of the game's coolest functions; in order to clear your name, you can take photos of Spidey fighting crooks which are sold to The Daily Bugle and the money you earn increases your web fluid.

As much as I love the game, it was the bane of my video gaming existence for years and try as I might, I couldn't complete it without cheating. I kid you not True Believer, last year I literally sat down and played the game, was defeated by The Kingpin (I ran out of web fluid and was helpless to save MJ from sinking to her doom) and then played it AGAIN, right the way through before again, tasting defeating from the fists of Fisk. I couldn't blame MJ this time either as The Kingpin kicked my ass in a matter of seconds.

I recently actually managed to defeat the behemoth last month without cheating on a Saturday morning before I went out. As far as video gaming prowess goes, it is the one trump I hold over my brother, to counteract his boasts of achieving 100% on Arkham City, while I fail at a mere 98% as I cannot do complete the Nightwing million point challenge to save my dignity.

So now we've covered his comics and video game/childhood traumas, how does he fair up in animation?

As one of the main villains back from the Romita days, The Kingpin was bound to make his debut on the small screen sooner or later. Spider-Man himself made the translation over to the small screen in 1967 and Kingpin would eventually feature in the second season of the show.

Sadly, the production company behind Spider-Man 67 (as it would later become known) Grantray-Lawrence animation in Canada, would file for bankruptcy after the first season of Spider-Man concluded. They were none for having notoriously cheap budgets, which explains the use of stock footage found throughout the Spider-Man cartoon, and why the Marvel Superheroes Show simply added moving mouths to the panels from the various comic books which they adapted.

Following the bankruptcy, Ralph Bakshi Studios took over production from Spider-Man. With the budget slashed again, Bakshi went to work on the show and sadly, ruined it. The show was cheap and cheerful before the change, but Bakshi, despite claiming to be a comic book fan, clearly had little regard for either Peter Parker or Spider-Man, nor the assorted villains from the comic book which the first season managed to adapt. The clean, simple background of New York were replaced by trippy messes which had no resemblance to the city that never sleeps. Amongst the numerous oddities were the fact that most of the villains now had green skin. Stock footage was used to an embarrassing degree, regardless of whether it made sense to the story or not.

Kingpin himself would appear in the second episode of season two, which actually serves as a prequel to season one. Following the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter Parker attempts to find work as a copyboy at The Daily Bugle, in which Jameson offers him a job simply because he is the nephew of a murdered man, citing it as his good deed of the day.

11.jpg

The story sees Jameson attempting to rat out The Kingpin over a drugs racketeering run, in which The Kingpin is forcing chemists to buy his imitation drug at gunpoint and Peter overhears The Bugle star reporter Foswell (nice nod) working as The Kingpin's stooge. The Kingpin later attacks Jameson in his office and kidnaps, ordering him to kill the story. Jameson isn't presented as the coward he was in the first season (while hilariously declaring himself the "fearless publisher" of The Daily Bugle). As far as plots go, this episode is probably the seasons best, however it has terrible pacing; just as the story gets moving, we are treated to an endless montage of webslinging shots, marred by horrendous red and black backgrounds. There is even a scene in which Spider-Man has only 2 minutes to get to the Daily Bugle to stop a bomb; what should be a fast paced race to save his new workplace is again turned into a web slinging highlight montage. The story would've worked better as two 10 minutes episodes rather than 20 minute stories, in order to cut down on the excessive reuse of animation.

The designs had gone to hell by the time season two started, but Kingpin looks decent enough. His skin isn't green, which is a bonus. He doesn't have the presence that John Romita Jr drew him with, but that is to be expected for a show made his cheaply. Casting again is fine, the Canadian cast were kept for season two, so Paul Soles is still Peter Parker and his crime fighting alter ego. Kingpin, along with numerous other villains in the show, is portrayed by Tom Harvey.

Kingpin would return in season three, in a rarity. The villains in the later seasons were not known for appearing more than once but Kingpin was always the exception in these seasons, as sadly, no other new villains from the comics appeared. The Big Brainwasher is actually based on The Amazing Spider-Man #59-61 as Mary Jane (in her only appearance in the show) invites Peter to watch her dance at a new club she works at, but unfortunately for her, the club is owned by The Kingpin. Tom Harvey returns to voice The Kingpin, but he is redesigned and... he's skinny. It just looks odd seeing a skinny Kingpin, I cannot lie. The animation and models in the show just got worse and worse as time went on, but seeing Kingpin change from newly animated skinny to the bigger model from the repeated animation; even sillier is when a clearly skinny Kingpin announces himself as 300lbs of pure muscle.

02.jpg

It's not as good as Kingpinned, and Kingpinned isn't as good as some of the earlier efforts from the first season. It is a shame, I always rather enjoyed the original series of the 67 show, despite how crude and occasionally camp they were. There was a lot of enjoyment to be found from them, whether it be via nostalgia or just appreciating the long sought after jazz scores; sadly, the second and third seasons are all too often a trip down memory lane not worth taking.

Moving on to the 70's and perhaps Marvel's most obscure cartoon. The Spider-Woman cartoon of the late 70's has always been an oddity to me. There were certainly more popular characters to make an animated series from in the 70's, especially considering Spider-Man himself was absent from television at the time and a female lead in an action show can't have been a massive priority back then. There are rumours circulating that Marvel actually created Spider-Woman simply to licence the name Spider-Woman and a similar themed Spider womany show was planned at the time.

Whatever its origins, Spider-Woman debuted in 1979 and only lasted one season, quickly forgotten following its initial airings. One of my earliest cartoon memories is actually watching the premiere episode on an old Spider-Man VHS I had, which featured 67 Spider-Man episodes Return of The Flying Dutchman and Farewell Performance and Spider-Woman's Pyramids of Terror which I watched over and over again as a child. I have fond, nostalgic memories of the episodes and thanks to the wonderful people of Clear Vision, I now own the complete series on DVD so have had the opportunity to view the show in its entirety. I actually bought the full 80's Spider-Man show, Spider-Woman and all of Spider-Man: The Animated Series as soon as I could, as I thought that the DVDs would be shortly discontinued. I haven't actually made my way through all of Spider-Woman yet (I was eventually planning on a Spider-Woman site for Marvel Animation Age... haven't started that yet either). The few episodes I did watch had little to no reference to the comic books but for the sake of completeness, but following our very own Spider-Friends informing me that The Kingpin appeared in one of the episodes, I unearthed my DVD watched the respective episode.

He bears very little resemblance to The Kingpin of Crime of the comic books. He is a short, fat criminal, who is seen constantly chowing down on food. His henchmen are clearly inspired by The Enforcers, but are not known as Ox, Fancy Dan or Montoya. The main plot of the episode sees Kingpin and his enforcers steal a paint that will make them invisible.

The invisible paint storyline is as stupid as it sounds, but cartoons were far more juvenile back then. The show has Jessica Drew serving as the editor of Justice Magazine and there is something of a romance between Jessica and her photographer Jeff, who is clearly modelled after Peter Parker (hence why Parker doesn't appear in the show) and her nephew Billy, who usually manage to get themselves involved in the episode while never quite twigging that Drew is Spider-Woman. It's the Clark Kent/Lois Lane/Superman triangle but the girl is the hero this time around. With the show being set at a magazine/newsroom, I doubt this was unintentional, especially as I believe this debuted around the time of the superlative Superman: The Movie (still the best Superman movie to be seen on the big screen.)

The most interesting part of the episode is that the invisible Kingpin actually sees Jessica do her Wonder Woman transformation twirl and deduces she is Spider-Woman and he announces to the world that Drew and Spider-Woman are one as the same. Spider-Woman eventually apprehended the Kingpin and his goons, and uses a Spider-Woman robot to trick Kingpin into thinking they are two separate people. It was a disappointing ending that came from nowhere, but given the time, one can't expect much more.

I found the episode to be enjoyable. Realising there was another Spider-Man team up that I had never seen before, I watched that immediately following this episode and the Kingpin appearance was by far the better of the two. From what little I have seen of the show, it was a refreshing change to see a supervillain from the comic books features, but its not something I would suggest anyone go out of their way to see unless they have a massive desire to see John Romita Sr's beautiful Spider-Woman costume animated, but as a curiously glance, it was an enjoyable way to spend half an hour of ones time.

Bigger and better things were to come for Kingpin, of course.

Next: Acceptable in the 80s?

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Pretty great start to another retrospective.

I never played that game, but it looks like something I would have probably enjoyed.

Kingpin on the 60s Spidey show was pretty fun. "Kingpinned" is a nice episode, but I agree that the pacing felt too slow at times and the story could have ended twice as fast. I did like how early in Spidey's career this took place though, with people still not believing he actually exists. The Foswell mention was a nice touch.

"The Big Brainwasher" isn't as much fun but still a decent enough adventure I guess. Kingpin's slim design looked weird, but even his henchmen looked weird. I suppose it was nice seeing Mary Jane make her debut in animation although she was introduced as Captain Stacy's niece, which didn't really make any sense.

The only things I actually remember from Kingpin's appearance on Spider-Woman were that he kept eating stuff, him turning invisible (but we could still see the food he was eating, I think) and the robot Jessica uses to trick him in the end. Pretty forgettable stuff as a whole, which kind of goes for the entire show. The Spidey guest-appearances are probably the things I remember the best from the show, and that's not saying a lot either.

Looking forward to the rest of his appearances - especially the 90s Spider-Man TAS where I think he was one of the better villains (and the best animated Kingpin we've seen so far), though he was kind of over-used by the end.

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Pretty great start to another retrospective. I never played that game, but it looks like something I would have probably enjoyed.

If you like old school games, you'd love Spider-Man Vs The Kingpin. I am still shocked a proper sequel was never produced... This was a massively popular game way back in the day that sold almost in comparison with the Mega Drive itself.

RoyalRubble said:
]Kingpin on the 60s Spidey show was pretty fun. "Kingpinned" is a nice episode, but I agree that the pacing felt too slow at times and the story could have ended twice as fast. I did like how early in Spidey's career this took place though, with people still not believing he actually exists. The Foswell mention was a nice touch. "The Big Brainwasher" isn't as much fun but still a decent enough adventure I guess. Kingpin's slim design looked weird, but even his henchmen looked weird. I suppose it was nice seeing Mary Jane make her debut in animation although she was introduced as Captain Stacy's niece, which didn't really make any sense.

I thought Kingpin was a lot better than anything that came after it. I did like it taking place seemingly only weeks after Parker had become Spider-Man.

RoyalRubble said:
Looking forward to the rest of his appearances - especially the 90s Spider-Man TAS where I think he was one of the better villains (and the best animated Kingpin we've seen so far), though he was kind of over-used by the end.

He was probably my favourite villain in TAS. Expect me to go on for some time :)

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
In their attempts to lure network attraction, Marvel created their own Spider-Man animated series for syndication in 1981, as a continuation of the 67 cartoon which they were also trying to sell into syndication, and thought a batch of new episodes would help attract further syndication interest.

The result was the 1981 Spider-Man cartoon, now known as the solo show. The series followed ESU student Peter Parker and his double life as costumed superhero Spider-Man having to juggle his job as a freelance photographer for The Daily Bugle, his miserable attempts at romance with Betty Brant and keeping his identity secret for his dotting Aunt May.

Given how significantly more popular Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends and how little this show is aired, it is often known as the forgotten Spider-Man show, but thanks to the nice people at Clear Vision, it is now available on DVD. Before the discs were released I had managed to see the majority of the episodes on poorly encoded video tapes and if truth be told, I never expected to get this show on DVD. If Disney have shown no interest in releasing the immensely popular Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends on DVD, I just didn't see them ever considering releasing a forgotten show such as Spider-Man 5000 (the show's production title, which is the name the Region 2 DVDs where released under)

01.jpg

The Kingpin is one of only two villains to make more than one appearance in the show, the first of which is as one of the villains in The Wraith of the Submarinor. One of The Kingpin's scientists creates a chemical formula that can burn through anything and the Kingpin uses this formula to unite the crime lords of the States into forming a new order under his rule. I was surprised to see Hammerhead, Man Mountain Marko and Silvermaine in the show, but from his interview over at SPIDER-FRIENDS.COM - The Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends Webpage, writer Donald Glut is a fan of the Spider-Man comic books. Donald Blake even makes a cameo as the physician treating Namorita.

The episode is one of my favourites from the show’s 26 episode run due to the large cast of villains, a guest star and a decent enough plot of The Submarinor ready to declare war on the surface world due to the pollution infecting Namorita. A lot of the 80’s episodes had a cheesy/comedy subplot to them, but this one actually mentioned to dangle a few plot threads without making one of them seem like padding or avoiding the main plot of the episode. Namor of course learns that humanity as a whole cannot be blamed for the mistakes of a few criminals and he and Spider-Man team up to stop The Kingpin and his various crime lords.
Kingpin himself is the huge villain with acute fighting skills this time around, rather than a lard arsed binge eater. One of the scenes shows him easily defeating various martial arts masters in hand to hand combat. One cannot expect to see Frank Miller’s Kingpin here, as the Miller did not take over writing chores of Daredevil until 1981, the same year the series aired. Miller used The Kingpin as his principal foil in the crime book, following his dissatisfaction with writer Roger McKenzie’s scripts. In the special features of the Daredevil DVD (which is a must view for fans) Miller comments;

“In comic books, in superhero comics, people have wasted an awful lot of creative energy and hard work, looking for kids who aren’t there. The audience who read Daredevil was not juvenile. They weren’t… and I got this character who’d been pretty… I mean even the most generous people would call it a grade B character. He was the poor man’s Spider-Man, and everybody knew that, but I kind of saw him as being much cooler.”

Alas, this version of The Kingpin had not made it to the printed page, so there was no chance of him making it to the small screen either, especially not with the tone of cartoons in the era. While it is true the show did not have to deal with BS+P because the show was syndicated, breaking any of their established ‘rules’ would’ve gone against the point of the show to begin with; selling Spider-Man to a network.

Kingpin’s second appearance isn’t as good, sadly. There is a lot of… odd stuff to be found in the 80’s show, as Spider-Man seems to be quite happy to walk around doing things as Spider-Man that you wouldn’t normally see him do, such as taking jobs, visiting Aunt May’s house while she attempts to kill him (I swear I am not making that up) and going to the Doctor’s as Spider-Man, not Peter Parker.

02.jpg

Return of The Kingpin sees Spider-Man realising he receives no reward for the hundreds of lives he has saved or the millions of dollars he has prevented from being stolen and is convinced by Hal Hunter to come work for him, and is given seemingly innocent tasks to do but alas, Hal is a frontman for The Kingpin and Spidey ends up aiding the criminals in their robberies. Spidey is a little too dumb not to suspect there is treachery afoot long before he does but with this being an 80’s show, brilliant or clever twists were a rarity.

That’s not to say there isn’t enjoyment to be had from the show however. As mentioned in every Spider-Man related retrospective, the designs are inspired by the works of Amazing Spider-Man stalwart John Romita Sr and the models are never less than pleasing to the eye. Spider-Man himself usually looks magnificent and The Kingpin is one of the better models from the show, faithfully translated from Romita’s illustrations. The music is also very catchy, especially the hero theme whenever Peter puts his hood on or heroically leaps into action… however it must be said it pales in comparison to Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends as the show isn’t as much fun. Ted Schwartz’s Spider-Man sounds too depressed most of the time to deliver Spidey’s one liners but if you can tolerate cartoons from the pre-Batman: The Animated Series era, I think you’ll enjoy the show. If any of you have multi-region DVD players, I would recommend picking up the box set of the show from Region 2, as sadly, it’ll probably be your only chance to see the show.

Following the syndication show, Marvel successfully obtained their goal of getting Spider-Man back on Saturday mornings as NBC bought Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends, following Marvel agreeing the mandates to make the show a team up cartoon and ensure they have a pet Dog, who most children of the 80s would grow to loathe as a unfunny comedy dog.

The show was more comedy than action as the sheer ludicrous situations the trio found themselves in could only be played for laughs plus, this was the 80s, an unmatched haven for cheesy cartoons as action shows weren't allowed to be violent and were often snigger worthy when they attempted to try. Watching an episode of this show makes one truly understand how Batman: The Animated Series changed the landmark of TV animation.

I always found the show to be charming, harmless fun. I often get the impression that this is what Ultimate Spider-Man is attempting to be, but the writers aren't talented enough to pull it off, with the characters and situations coming across as dumb and arrogant rather than witty and charming and the humour more eye roll worthy rather than snigger grinning.

As with most villains in the show, The Kingpin only appeared in one episode, The Pawns of The Kingpin, in which he and Dr Faustus brainwash Captain America into doing their bidding and Iron Man aids the star spangled man with a plan in his thievery as he dare not question the good Captain's methods or integrity.

Writer Donald Glut was clearly a fan of the comic books as most of his episodes had nods to them in somewhere... even the inclusion of Dr Faustus is something which would pass by even the most knowledgeable of fans, myself included. His characters model is clearly based on producer Dennis Marks however as what I assume to be some kind of insider nod, as Marks also voices the character (which is why he sounds similar to The Green Goblin, who Marks also lent his vocal talents to.)

Speaking of voices, Walter Edmiston voices The Kingpin once again. Taking into account that this is pre-BTAS days and most villains are hammed up cackling goons, Edmiston is a rare exception as he is taken a bit more seriously as a gruff crime lord. I would dare say he is the best cast of all the villains in the show, with the possible exception of Dr Doom who I thought sounded pretty bad ass due to the heavy robotic tone that was added in post production. The show shared character models with Amazing Friends but this is not seen as a negative in my eyes. I will spare you a further chapter in my book length love letter to John Romita Sr, you must be sick of reading about it by now.

The plot of the episode is nothing to write home about, with mind control being pretty commonplace in the 80s but it is pretty cool to see the Spider-Friends team up with Captain America. The team ups didn't feel forced or mandated like they do now in Ultimate Spider-Man, they were just fun. There was no toy line for the show either, so there's no blatant product placement here... The nods and guest stars were included because the creative team thought they were entertaining. Even the blatant backdoor pilot for the X-Men show doesn't scream SPIN OFF! like Ultimate Spider-Man does with Avengers Assemble.

The episode isn't one of the more memorable of Amazing Friends as The Kingpin isn't really a stand out villain. That would all change by the next Spider-Man show...

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I liked how on the 80s solo Spidey show Kingpin was shown to be more agile and had some martial arts training - especially in comparison to how he was last seen in animation, continuously eating something. "The Wraith of the Sub-Mariner" is one of the better episodes, I agree that it was nice seeing all those bad guys together and the story was pretty neat as well.

As for "Return of Kingpin"... well, Spidey is just too naive here and the episode is somewhat entertaining despite having too much silly stuff going on. It's not terrible, but nothing really worth watching either. I'd say it's probably the weakest episode from this show.

As with most villains in the show, The Kingpin only appeared in one episode, The Pawns of The Kingpin, in which he and Dr Faustus brainwash Captain America into doing their bidding and Iron Man aids the star spangled man with a plan in his thievery as he dare not question the good Captain's methods or integrity.

I think you mean Iceman.

"Pawns of the Kingpin" is a fun episode. Sure the brain-washing plot isn't that original but it works. Nice way to bring Doctor Faustus into the episode, too.

I also think that Ultimate Spider-Man is attempting to mimic Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, at least when it comes to the team-up episodes, but the end result isn't as enjoyable.

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Marvel followed their successful X-Men show with a new Spider-Man animated series in the winter of 1994. The show had a difficult birthing process with story editor Marty Pasko being hired and fired during pre-production and supervising producer Bob Richardson having family difficulties and the majority of the executives being unable to decide what direction the show should follow.

John Semper had worked with Stan Lee at Marvel Productions and now 'The Man' was insisting that Semper be given the reigns of the show and upon arriving at the premises found that no real work had been done. There were no scripts or even a show bible completed. Semper was not a subscriber to the villain of the week formula and insisted that the show have a long running 'soap opera' format that would feature lengthier stories fixating on Peter's romances and his crime fighting duties as The Amazing Spider-Man. Executive producer Avi Arad had different ideas, as he wanted as many villains to appear as possible, so they could be included within the shows toyline. Semper proposed the inclusion of the villains but with several two partners included in the initial 13 episodes. Much discussion (...arguing) took place over the Venom storyline, so much so that the planned 2 part storyline became 3 parts to give Spider-Man more time in his black suit and develop Brock more before he became Venom.

Season one didn't have an ongoing storyline as the later seasons did, but the show was quite continuity heavy, a rarity in its time. Most of the first seasons ongoing storylines were connected by the shows main nemesis, Wilson Fisk, The Kingpin of crime.

30.jpg

He would make his debut in the second episode that aired The Spider Slayer. He is shown as the main villain, by essentially blackmailing Norman Osborn into hiring Spencer Smythe to kill Spider-Man with his spider slayer robots, which is typical of The Kingpin in this show, masterminding the criminal activities from behind the scenes. I personally thought the use of The Kingpin in this was genius. It ensured that New York had an organised crime racket for Spider-Man to fend off. Indeed, Spidey wasn't even aware of The Kingpin's existence until halfway through season three.

The Kingpin wasn't used in this manner in the comics during the Stan Lee/John Romita Sr run of the 60s, he is more akin to the 'big bad' role he played in Frank Miller's critically acclaimed run on Daredevil. Semper justified The Kingpin's use as follows;

"The Kingpin's been the most prominent villain in the series, because he's such an evil force, in true Sherlock Holmes fashion. I literally made Kingpin into a modern-day Professor Moriarty. He is the evil behind all the other evil. He is the mastermind of crime, and the most insidious thing about him is that nobody knows that he's out there doing it."

He is seen at the end of The Spider Slayer convincing Spencer’s son Alistair to continue Spencer’s work under his employ, and offers to provide funding for new Spider Slayer robots in order to eliminate Spider-Man. Kingpin was treated as the most intelligent villain in the show at this point and this episode started Smythe’s association with Fisk, which would continue up until the end of the third season. I personally liked the dynamic between the two, and thought it added a lot to the show. I was also impressed with how Smythe wasn’t established as a bumbling comedy sidekick (see Leader/Gargoyle in the Hulk cartoon of the time). Later episodes would reveal that Spencer was indeed still alive, and this was simply Kingpin manipulating others to get his own way. Kingpin explains that since Spider-Man arrived in New York, his organised crime livelihood had been jeopardised and given his plans for world wide conquest, he needed to have his home base secured and Spider-Man's constant interference was a plague upon his house. This would be further developed in season two, but I am getting ahead of myself. Kingpin's appearance where usually in two part stories, with the exception of The Alien Costume storyline, which many, myself included, consider to be the show's finest storyline. I also regard it as the greatest black suit Spider-Man adaptation - it's better than the original comic book, Spider-Man 3, Ultimate Spider-Man and even The Spectacular Spider-Man. If you haven't picked up that Venom Saga DVD, you ought to, in my humble opinion.

Venom was described as a political juggernaut by series writer Stan Berkowitz, with everyone aware that Venom HAD to be done, as he was the most popular Spider-Man villain in the comics at the time and fans everywhere would've been extremely disappointed if he were not featured. The two part story eventually became three, which, no question, was the right call. The Kingpin's role is once again behind the scenes, as he hires The Rhino to steal Promethium X, a rare new isotope discovered upon an asteroid by Colonel John Jameson. When Rhino succeeds, disgraced journalist Eddie Brock covers up Rhino's involvement by ignoring Rhino's presence at the scene and providing J Jonah Jameson with photographic evidence of Spider-Man breaking into the shuttle. Fuelling his already vengeful hatred of Spider-Man, Jameson places a million dollar bounty on Spider-Man's head as Spidey finds that a strange 'rich, thick and creamy' substance has bonded to his costume. The show's best visual followed when he came to, as he was hanging upside down in a beautiful new black suit. Make no mistake, this was by far the best model in the attire show and TMS did their damnedest to make it look nothing less than stunning. The red and blue suit never looked this good.

11.jpg

Before I go on a tangent explaining the beauty of the black suit, I will quickly return to the Kingpin. Realising that they have insufficient equipment to test the Promethium X they have now acquired, Smythe and Kingpin again hire Rhino, who has his rematch with our newly black suited Spider-Man. The story boarding in the first season was usually pretty decent in the fight scenes to say the show wasn't allowed to be remotely violet, but Spidey easily smashes Rhino, which was a direct contrast to their earlier fight inside the shuttle. Part two sees Kingpin attempt to cover his own tracks as he instructs Smythe to eliminate Eddie Brock, who witnessed Rhino stealing the Prometheian X. The story arcs all come together in this part - Kingpin attempting to acquire the artifact, Brock framing Spidey, Jameson putting a price on Spidey's head and Spidey's anger issues with his new costume. The arc is brilliant throughout, having introduced two cool new villains, developed Spidey's feud with Brock and Jameson and well... The first two parts are just bloody beautiful to look at. It dips tremendously in quality at part 3 but if you need to read about, there's a nice little Venom retrospective you can read here.

Kingpins next and final appearance of the season would be one of his most prominent as Norman Osborn creates and hires The Hobgoblin to kill Fisk and he is saved by Peter Parker. I have always felt The Hobgoblin episode were underrated in the shows run... I actually think he is more interesting that The Green Goblin here. Even show runner John Semper is not a fan of The Hobgoblin, as he told Marvel Animation Age.

My least favorite two episodes would have to be the Hobgoblin two-parter. My fired predecessor’s only lasting contribution to the series was his decision to use the Hobgoblin instead of the Green Goblin. So, based on that early decision, Avi had ramped up an expensive toy line revolving around the Hobgoblin. By the time I arrived on the series, I was stuck with having to roll that character out first, (because of the impending toy line) which is just plain wrong. I kind of patched it up in the series by making Norman Osborne create the weapons for the Hobgoblin first before deciding to use them for himself as the Green Goblin, which I thought was a good fix. But that first Hobgoblin two-parter is just a waste of time designed just to sell toys. I hated it when we had to write it, I hated it when it aired and I still hate it. The Hobgoblin is boring.

I always likes how devious Hobgoblin was here... Clearly cash crazy, after he's fired by Osborn he negotiates with Fisk himself, realising that he has bargaining power with the name of his previous employer. Even after Fisk gives him a job, he returns to Osborn to obtain fancier weapons (and yes, they made another toy out of his fancy new glider) and when Fisk fires him, he runs Fisk out of crime Central and declares himself the new Kingpin.

Hobgoblin was a brilliant villain... Mark Hamill voiced him and in my opinion, this is his best role, beyond The Joker of course. He is just brilliant as the arrogant, over achieving villain. He, as always, it just fantastic. Sadly, The Hobgoblin hasn't been animated since. He was to feature prominently in The Spectacular Spider-Man season three before Sony sold the television rights back to Marvel. Television you are a cruel mistress.

Speaking of brilliant casting... Roscoe Lee Brown, take a bow. He... He's just outstanding. He adds so much to the role, I would easily say he's the best cast character in the show. Considering some of the talent involved, this is no small feat. His dialogue is a cut above the rest of the characters. If you've seen The Big Man in Spectacular Spider-Man, the similarities between the two are many, but I think The Kingpin is GE better villain. Brown is just brilliant, he sounds intelligent, sophisticated and his voice is powerful enough to command any supervillain around. I also like the way he pronounces Smythe. A1 for Mr Brown. I've heard him in a few other roles and he is never anything less than outstanding, the Man was born for voice over work. He sadly passed away in 2007.

He eventually uses Osborn who uses Spider-Man to confront The Hobgoblin at Crime Central and Spidey manages to save the kidnapped Harry Osborn and they have a pretty decent fight. I first saw these on the BBC broadcasts here in Yorkshire and now I have them on DVD, I am surprised to see how badly they were edited. None of the razor sharp discs are shown... Shameful considering the lack of violence and how beautiful the animation is throughout the episode (and season, with the exception of The Alien Costume Part Three).

He eventually got his kingdom back and Spidey was still none the wiser of his existence. Bold storytelling... Much better than a villain of the week, wouldn't you say?

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
As season two continued on, the crime lords turned against Kingpin for being unable to stop Spider-Man, which brought about appearances from Silvermaine (thankfully minus his cyborg suit), Hammerhead and even a cameo from The Owl. In a final attempt to eliminate Spider-Man following the failure of Smythe's Spider Slayer robots, he facilitates the breakout and formation of The Insidious Six, with Dr. Octopus, The Scorpion, The Shocker, The Chameleon, The Rhino and Mysterio.

He eventually kidnaps Silvermaine as his Insidious Six try to finally kill Spider-Man as he announces his intentions to become chief of the crime lords. Unfortunately for Fisk, his six abandon him and Spidey saves Silvermaine, this would again come back to bite him as he feud with Silvermaine later in the season over The Tablet of Time.

Kingpin would also feature briefly in The Mutant Agenda/The Mutants Revenge as the money man being The Brand Corporation. He has minimal involments, but Herbert Brand would eventually replace Smythe as The Kingpin's right hand man. I don't know why Brand was chosen as he wasn't especially interesting and his design opened him up to unfavourable comparisons to another villain with two sides to his face from another popular superhero cartoon but I will get to that when we review Smythe's transformation.

Much of season two’s storyline was taken up by Spider-Man’s on-going mutation disease and Fisk was left to the wayside for a lot of the season. Unfortunately the main threat for a lot of the season was Morbius, a villain introduced in the second season premiere wonderfully, but later mainly served as a tedious reminder as to how a lot of the show’s creativity had been overcome by a needlessly strong Broadcast Standards and Practises presence.

The show’s production values hit the skids after Duel Of The Hunters and the show lost its lush animation and the detail in the character models became too much of a hindrance rather than an enjoyable boast of just how good TMS were. I am not entirely certain of what happened behind the scenes to cause this dramatic increase in quality but it was immediately noticeable. The aforesaid models, the colouring, the backgrounds, the animation, the storyboarding… the fights became laughable as nothing seemed to happen because the characters were not allowed to hit each other. Some clever staging in season one made this less noticeable, especially The Rhino and Lizard fights, but now… I can’t conceive how anyone was expected to do an action show with so much restriction. Stock footage was used to an embarrassing degree, and would only serve to take one from out of the story the writers were trying so desperately hard to suck you into. One can tell from the interviews I (and others) have conducted with Story Editor John Semper that he desperately wanted to create a captivating, unpredictable, brilliant Spider-Man show, but too many where either incapable of keeping up with him, saw the show as a toy commercial and nothing more, or were too busy bickering to focus on what was best for the show.

…Apologies for the rant, I will get back on topic now. Can you image how far away from the point of the thread I would actually get if I ever dared attempt a Morbius retrospective?

11.jpg

By the time we got to The Tablet of Time, The Neogenic Nightmare was starting to show it’s age, but we at least got the return of The Kingpin and Silvermaine. This time the two of them battled it out over The Tablet, which had the ability to de-age people. The interesting twist is that Kingpin kidnapped Silvermaine’s daughter and Silvermaine kidnapped Fisks wife, who was beginning to hate Fisk becoming The Kingpin of Crime as it was all consuming to him. The episode was burdened with too many characters most of whom had nothing of interest to offer. I had a soft spot for Tombstone, but we’ve all seen him be used much better in animation since (although in fairness… he WAS The Kingpin, he just didn’t look like him and wasn’t called Wilson Fisk). Vanessa Fisk is not the Vanessa Fisk of the comics, she is just Kingpin’s annoying wife. There’s not much going on in this story that I can tell you I enjoyed… it’s pretty tedious throughout.

Oh, and on a sheer fanboy note, seeing The Lizard get smacked around by The Lizard by a younger Silvermaine after he had such a good fight with Spider-Man back in Night of The Lizard was the equivalent of seeing a top heel jobbed out and squashed by an opening match jobber. It took me a long time to get to a wrestler reference in this retrospective didn’t it? I don’t even have to mention that silly rumour that King Kong Bundy was going to portray The Kingpin in the live action Daredevil movie now, do I?

By the time we next saw Kingpin on the show, Spider-Man had passed his mutation disease onto The Vulture, and we finally enter The Green Goblin. Kingpin had an instrumental role in his origins, being both the person who demanded Osborn continue to work on the gas which physically created The Goblin and his control/abuse of Norman helped create the separate Goblin persona.

With the media gaining wind of illegal chemical experimentations threatening to cost Osborn his role as COO of Oscorp, Kingpin insists that Norman continue to manufacture the gas until an explosion at Oscorp leaves Osborn missing and a few weeks later, members of the board, including Fisk, are kidnapped by The Goblin.

The Goblin doesn’t reveal Fisk’s identity to the rest of the board (or Spider-Man) and Fisk spends most of the episode as the philanthropist, until he sees an opportunity to trap both The Goblin and Spider-Man in the flooding lair, even Jameson questions just what Fisk was doing.

02.jpg

Fisk never discovers that Norman and The Goblin are the same person, and agrees to discontinue manufacturing the gas as it’s complications are too numerous to continue.

The episode is a brilliant one, surely worthy of the wait if you were one of the many fans wondering just where the hell The Goblin was. Of course this was an age when I had no idea what was going to happen from one episode until the next until I watched the episode – no trailers, clips, behind the scenes interviews or synopsis here and I am pretty sure only men were allowed to read the news.

Things changed dramatically in Framed, in which Peter Parker is, you guessed it, framed by his new employer Wilson Fisk. The story is told in flashbacks for a lot of the first half, as Parker is found in Court for treason and once he is denied bail, Spider-Man breaks him out. This is where The Chameleon’s belt became a bit of a hindrance… it was utterly obvious that it was him, which ruined the rather cool reveal later on in the episode.

On a side note, since I’ve not got around to a Chameleon retrospective yet, I thought it was a cool gimmick that The Chameleon never actually spoke himself. He always changed into someone else whenever he was required to speak. There isn’t actually a voice actor for Chameleon on the show. Very cool.
Framed again harks back to The Hobgoblin, Part One in which Parker saved Fisk from the titular villain and Fisk offers him a job at Fisktronics as a reward. It’s interesting to note that Fisk had no alternate motive here, he only set Parker up as his fall guy after the Feds discovered that someone was smuggling data to unfriendly nations, which he actually blamed Smythe for.

We see more of The Kingpin’s origins in the episode as Matt Murdock tells Peter of how he was blinded by radioactive waste and how his dad worked for the up and coming mobster known as The Kingpin. Kingpin isn’t featured a great deal in part one, but gets his backstory fleshed out in part two.
As a massive Daredevil fan, I immensely enjoyed both episodes. I think they are the best team up the show did… it’s up there with the X-Men crossover, if not slightly above it. Shamefully we haven’t seen Daredevil animated since as his own proposed TV show was nixed by a FOX executive, according to Spider-Man writer Mark Hoffmier, as he didn’t think anyone would be interested in a show about a blind lawyer. If you read the above interview, it sounds like even getting Daredevil to appear on Spider-Man was a chore in itself, due to the stupidity that was Broadcast Standards and Practises overbearing presence on this show. How does someone confuse Daredevil with Satan?

With Spidey saving Daredevil from the burning Fisktronics building, Daredevil reveals to him that Fisk is The Kingpin. It took three seasons to get there, but I think the magic was lost after that. The feud between Spidey and The Kingpin lost it’s direction after this, but I will get to that later on.

137.jpg

We see Kingpin is unimpressed with Smythe’s plan to frame Parker (and the cost of the building that they had to blow up to destroy any evidence) but he later boasts that his relationship with his son is better than the relationship he had with his Father and we get something of an origin sequence for Kingpin, about how he became the big bad of New York’s crime racket. Following a bungled robbery with his Father, Fisk was sacrificed by his old man and arrested. While in prison, he learned the necessary skills to become a big time player upon his release. We learn his real name is actually Wilson Moriarty, which is undoubtedly a nod to Sherlock Holme’s number one nemesis, but Fisk used his ‘mastery of technology’ to erase his past entirely, becoming Wilson Fisk and later having his Father killed to tie up all loose ends up to his past.

The ending of the episode is brilliant as Spider-Man and Daredevil finally apprehend Fisk, only to discover it’s actually The Chameleon in disguise (see what happens when you don’t show his belt!).

We see The Fisk family come full circle as Richard is arrested and does not offer the prosecutors his accomplices name and Richard will one day obtain his revenge. Comic book fans will be aware that Richard Fisk eventually becomes The Rose, but alas, it was not to happen in this show.

The next episode sees Smythe and Kingpin turn on each other, as Kingpin blames Smythe for his son’s arrest. Fisk then turns Smythe into a cyborg and Smythe is replaced by Herbert Landon, which helped no one. He was simply a boring character and came across as a pale imitation to Smythe. They toyline dictated that we would see Smythe become The Ultimate Slayer from the comic books as he was one of the first figures to be made in the first wave. Off topic, but how awesome was this toyline? Pretty much every villain you can think of was made into a toy, the toyline lasted years before we got the stupid Deep Sea Diving Spider-Man variants.

As I mentioned earlier, The Kingpin storyline lost it’s focus once Spider-Man discovered Fisk was The Kingpin. He didn’t appear as frequently in the show as he did prior to the show. He started appearing in standalone episodes, whereas his prior appearances were all two or three part stories. The Spot was a crap episode, and Fisk was treated as a Saturday morning cartoon villain throughout… there was no gravitas to the story and his appearance did not make the episode feel like a big deal, he was just another character. Shameful.

14.jpg

Kingpin would make a more positive impact in Goblin War!, as The Hobgoblin approaches him for a partnership as The Hobgoblin steals the time dilation accelerator but does not have the facilities available to him to power it. Kingpin naturally distrusts Hobgoblin and demands Norman Osborn reveal who he is, which was just the final push Norman needed to turn him back into The Green Goblin, which set up the awesome season finale in Turning Point. Kingpin works far better as the invisible hand behind the scenes rather than bring in the thick of it, which happened far too often as soon as his identity was revealed.
nd the scenes ways in season four, as he facilitated the breakout of Walter Hardy from S.H.I.E.L.D in order to learn the secrets of Abraham Erskine’s Super Solider Formula and create an army of super soldiers to serve him. Following a merry go round with Dr. Octopus, S.H.I.E.L.D and The Chameleon, Fisk blackmails Hardy by threatening his daughter Felicia, who had been a strong supporting character from the second episode, and like Norman Osborn, was another long teased supporting character who was on their way to become a superhero/supervillain.

When first viewing The Cat, I remember thinking how cool it was that they managed to sneak a Captain America cameo in there, as he had largely been ignored by the Marvel cartoons of the era, and he was the one guest star I really wanted to see. In retrospect, it was another blow to The Kingpin that he was the one blackmailing Walter and exposing his identity to Felicia, he was still not known as a crime lord in the show. There was nothing to stop Felicia exposing him afterwards. The rest of the story is largely enjoyable and there was a definite chemistry between Spidey and The Black Cat but the rest of the season is largely standalone, there is no big arc to follow beyond the Spidey/Black Cat romance I personally remember waiting for the episode when they both unmasked but it never happened. It could’ve made for an interesting twist, especially when the storyline ended so abruptly.

I personally thought a conclusion to The Kingpin storyline with Fisk finally being outed to the public would’ve made for a more interesting season, but alas, Fisk would barely appear, instead we get YES! More Morbius episodes. Kingpin’s dumb plot this week was that Landon believed that Morbius held the key to making them both immortal. He plays a bit part in The Haunting of Mary Jane Watson as he sells Smythe’s android technology to Mysterio, in return for Mysterio using it to finally kill Spider-Man. He is again relegated to a minute part in The Prowler, a tedious episode in which he cons a small time hood into thinking he has gained power, but in reality, he has gained yet another pawn to do his bidding.

Season four never lived up to it’s potential and it seemed the show was running out of steam, or at least it lost it’s direction. Season five was an improvement and Kingpin featured strongly in the opening episodes, starting with The Wedding, in which Fisk actually acquires a newspaper and goes into business against Jonah, and uses Parker's wedding as an excuse for publicity. Yes, that’s how a couple in their early 20’s afford a lavish wedding only weeks after being engaged. Kingpin's role as just another villain in the show continued. He still had a presence about him of course and Roscoe Lee Brown was never anything less than outstanding in the show, despite his dialogue often feeling placeholder. Season five continues with the Six Forgotten Warriors arc, in which he once again reassembles The Sinister Six in order to infiltrate S.H.I.E.L.D (again) in order to learn more about Wolfgang Kroysvick Doomsday Weapon, which was believed to have been created by The Red Skull in order to ensure the Nazi's won World War II. It again seems odd that Fisk would travel to Russia with his Insidous Six himself, as he is seen throughout the episodes associating with known criminals… it seems too distant from The Kingpin’s MO. Sadly, this arc confirms him as just another villain. His final appearance in the end is as nothing more than a jobber to Electro.

After such a brilliant start, he became a deposeable villain. He makes a final appearance in the show in the alternate reality of both The Scarlet Spider and the rich, arrogant armoured Spider-Man's Dimension as Parker's Lawyer, which, as it turns out is a ruse and he sides with Spider-Carnage who eventually betrays him.

69.jpg

In an interesting twist, The Kingpin who Madame Web sends off to jail is actually the Scarlet Spider's Kingpin, which means 'our' Kingpin was never actually brought to Justice for his crimes. I would've much preferred to see Spidey finally out and defeat The Kingpin but alas, it was not to be. I would've much preferred a final Spidey vs The Kingpin story over that irritating, stupid Return of Hydro-Man storyline, but I will spare you that rant.

In closing, Kingpin is the finest villain the show had. When he was at his best, he was the shows premiere antagonist, with his mere appearance adding to each episode, however, the quality dipped as the show continued, and one could argue neglect kicked in and the quality dipped.

I watched a handful of season one and season three episodes as research for this piece and to be honest... neglect kicking in could describe the entire show.

Kingpin started very well and became one of best villains in any cartoon, but sadly, by the end of the shows run he was just another villain.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Agreed that by the end of the show, Kingpin's plans and characterization just didn't feel as exciting as they were in the beginning. I liked how they did sort of show his origin in an episode, and even introduce his son in a story but that didn't lead to anything more interesting later on (though I'm guessing the Rose would have appeared, if the show continued). Also liked how it was in Daredevil's episode that Kingpin's true identity was revealed.

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
As aforementioned in previous posts, The Kingpin is now considered as more of a Daredevil villain over Spider-Man, thanks to the character defining work of Frank Miller in his run as writer/artist on Daredevil, so much so that when Marvel optioned the rights to the theatrical film rights, Daredevil was considered as part of the characters library. Naturally, when the film began production, The Kingpin was quickly announced as the main villain, with news that Bullseye and Elektra would also feature in the movie, which was heavily inspired by Frank Miller'stories.

The movie had a troubled production, with Fox unsure on the script and at one point, refusing allow Daredevil to wear a costume, before they got wind that Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man movie would feature Spidey’s famed red and blue suit onsie. The main conflict of the film was the rating. Director Mark Steven Johnson was aiming (or at least shot) an R rated movie, and FOX insisted that the feature be PG13. In the end, it was indeed released as a PG13 movie, after FOX hacked the film to bits to make it PG13 and get the run time in under 100 minutes, so theatres could get more viewings in and rake more green from it. They had done this earlier with X-Men and would again continue this irritating trend in the Fantastic Four movies. Honestly, Rise of The Silver Surfer barely had a third act; I was looking forward to Galactus arriving on Earth but as soon as he did...poof. The filmmakers should be ashamed of themselves.

But I digress; the late Micheal Clarke Duncan portrayed The Kingpin, finally putting an end to the rumour that King Kong Bundy would be cast in the role. This was announced with very little controversy thankfully, as a small minority complained as Clark was black. His presence added a lot to the file, as the man was already huge and put on considerable weight for the character.

Unfortunately Clarke isn't given a lot to do in the role. He is not the well spoken, intelligent villain Spider-Man: The Animated Series portrayed, he is the hired muscle who worked his way up to top dog of the crime world.

They did the annoying Tim Burton trick of having it be Fisk who killed Daredevil's dad, which added little to their feud. I am one of the few people who admit to enjoying the film. I recent bought the Blu Ray for the purpose of this post... It hasn't ages well. The script problems are even more apparent and Colin Farrell and Jennifer Garner turn in horrible performances as Bullseye and Elektra. Clarke again, does very well with what he has and I actually enjoyed Ben Affleck as Daredevil (I have never understood the media/internet obsession of belittling him at every available opportunity, he is a good actor and fantastic director) but the film received underwhelming reviews and wasn't a massive box office success (a lot of which could e attributed to its February release.) A sequel was planned, but the Elektra spin off threw a spanner in the works. I won't comment on that film, as I have never actually seen it (the only theatrical Marvel film I haven't bothered with.) I've heard its utter drivel and was told to spend the 90 minutes doing something else, so I played Spider-Man vs The Kingpin on my Mega Drive and got my ass kicked. I bet I still enjoyed myself more than anyone who paid to see Elektra.

04.jpg

Clarke would reprise his role in 2003's Spider-Man: The New Animated Series. The model shares simulaties with MCD, but Kingpin is not fashioned in his traditional white suit... The model is a little flat, as a lot of the new costumed characters were. It was the fight scenes in which the show truly excelled.

Royal Scam is not the best of episodes and is rather flat throughout, save for a fight acne at the end of the episode as The Kingpin commandeers a helicopter for the fight piece. The rest of the plot involves Spidey being duped into stealing a computer chip for the FBI and missing MJs play because of it. There are better and worse episodes of the show, it is a simple middle of the pack episode and Kingpin could easily be replaced with any interchangeable villain.

Sadly, we've not seen Kingpin on the small (or big) screen since. He was to feature prominently in The Spectacular Spider-Man before show runner Greg Weisman learned that Sony did not hold the rights to Kingpin (which still hasn't been fully explained - how did he appear on the MTV show but not Spectacular?) His place was taken by L Thompson Lincon as The Big Man. Tombstone takes many, many characteristics from Kingpin and is not surprisingly one of the best, if not the, best villain in the show.

Alert fans will hear a nod to 'fat man' in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes episode 'Hail Hydra!' but that's your lot of late.

With Marvel now owning the rights to The Kingpin again following Fox losing the same, I imagine we will see Kingpin on the small screen soon.

Whether or not it will be worth the wait is another matter entirely...

KCJ506

I felt TAS really missed an opportunity for some character development with Kingpin. After his wife left him, they could have had some episodes with him trying to reconcile with her. But nope.

And I think he was ridiculously overused. Almost about everything somehow connected back to him. Just about every villain was either created by him, worked for him, or tried to take over his empire. I understand he's the Kingpin Of Crime, but the way the show used him really hurt the other villains. Especially Doc Ock. The Ottobot two-parter didn't have Kingpin contributing anything and could have been removed from that episode and wouldn't change anything.

The Morbius storyline in Season 2 was pretty much the only huge story arc that was Kingpin free. Even in the Venom three parter, he appears in two of the episodes. This is why I liked Season 1 the best out of TAS. Minimum Kingpin and several of the villains got to shine in their own episodes solo. Which is something we barely got afterwards. Other than barely half a handful of villains, I can't think of any other villains from Season 1, that got their own chance to shine like that after the first season.

And a fun fact, Kingpin's voice in the Sega CD version of Spider-man vs the Kingpin was Master Splinter(1987 TMNT cartoon).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I remember thinking back when I first watched "Royal Scam" that it would lead to a live-action crossover for Spidey and Daredevil (this was before I knew about all the various studios legal stuff concerning Marvel characters - not that I fully understand it now). Still, a decent enough episode and I appreciated the fact they went with a character from the comics instead of creating another original villain for the episode.

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
To celebrate the long awaited return of The Kingpin to our screens tomorrow, I thought I would bump this appearance for those of you who missed out on this look back on his previous experiences.

Do any of you have anything to add about The Kingpin?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts