The Official Live-Action "Yu Yu Hakusho" Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
The live-action Yu Yu Hakusho series premieres today on Netflix.

Yu Yu Hakusho, the legendary smash-hit manga from Weekly Shonen Jump, is finally getting a live-action adaptation! This series of unprecedented scale is brought to life by an all-star cast that includes Takumi Kitamura, Jun Shison, Kanata Hongo, Shuhei Uesugi, Sei Shiraishi, Kenichi Takito, Goro Inagaki and Go Ayano.

The strength that comes from having something to protect versus the strength that comes from having nothing to lose...
Feast your eyes on this top-class Asian battle action series, featuring world-class, cutting-edge visual effects and presented by a cast and staff who are at the pinnacle of Japanese entertainment!

Episode 1
Awakening to a startling truth, Yusuke is greeted by a Spirit World guide. Meanwhile, malevolent otherworldly forces unleash chaos in the Human World.

Episode 2
Rogue yokai steal three dangerous objects. As Yusuke grapples with his new powers, children playing at a park mysteriously collapse to the ground.

Episode 3
Charged with reclaiming the final dangerous object, Yusuke infiltrates a mansion. Later, Koenma assigns him a powerful mentor to help with training.

Episode 4
On Kubikukuri Island, Yusuke's crew disperse to confront their foes. Locked in a prison cell, Keiko encounters Yukina and devises an escape plan.

Episode 5
Yusuke finally comes face to face with Toguro and uncovers the shocking truth. Koenma confronts Sakyo as the Demon World rapidly opens up.

Related thread:
News & Discussion thread.

Comments?

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Stunts were and main cast were really good, story was incredibly condensed, I mean incredibly condensed. Seems nostalgia for the anime has helped it as it's doing well on the daily charts and will probably make the weekly charts. Not bad for a reboot of a show that originally got kicked off Toonami and given a 5 AM deathslot despite a rabid cult following. Gotta give Yu Yu Hakusho a lot of credit for being the grandaddy of the supernatural themed battle shonen as Bleach, Jujutsu Kaisen, Blue Excorcist, Chainsaw Man, and many other series took a lot of cues from it. It's worth a watch, but it wasn't as lavishly faithful as One Piece. Decent adaptation and people who refuse to watch cartoons may find this enjoyable.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Just finished watching it and overall, I would give this a 7/10. I think the actors were well-casted for the most part and the action was pretty good. To be honest, I thought we were going to get at least 8 episodes for this, so I was surprised that it was only 5 episodes. Because of this, they basically condensed the first two seasons/arcs of the show and I agree it was rushed at times(although I saw a comment that said they should have included the Dark Tournament arc, but that arc was 41 episodes in the anime, so there was no way they were going to do that). Personally, I would have loved to see a 10-12 episode season, but given the circumstances, they did a good job with what they had. Also, it ended in a way where they can continue the story if it gets picked up for another season or it's a nice self-contained story.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
So, in its first week, it ranked number 1 for non-English shows with 7.7 million views and 32,100,000 hours overall. In the U.S., it ranked at number 5 and of course in Japan, it ranked at number 1.

Netflix Top 10 - Global

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts