"The River" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Kool345

Starting at 8/7c on ABC
I'm surprised for the weeks this show has been on, no one has made a talkback thread yet, and the season finale airs next week. Anyone watching this show besides me? Here's a rundown so far:

Episode 1 - Tuesday, February 7th 9/8c - "Magus"

Summary: Six months ago, Emmet Cole, adventurer and host of The Undiscovered Country, disappeared while on an expedition deep in the uncharted waters of the Amazon River. The fruitless search and subsequent 'memorial service' left thousands of fans in shock at the loss of their icon. Now, his emergency beacon had been activated, and his wife Tess, who reluctantly faced reality, organizes a search party to find him. The team comprises her estranged son Lincoln, who was more than ready to leave the past behind; Emmet's long-time friend and Undiscovered Country producer Clark Quietly; Magus mechanic Emilio Valenzuela and his daughter Jahel; Lena Landry, daughter of cameraman Russ Landry who has disappeared along with Cole; and Captain Kurt Bryndilson, head of the expedition. What the team doesn't know is that this journey will take them to a place where magic comes alive and things are never what they seem.

Episode 2 - Tuesday, February 7th 10/9c - "Marbeley"

Summary: When Jahel becomes possessed by Emmet Cole's spirit, Tess becomes undeterred from her goal of finding clues to her husband's whereabouts. The team then discovers a tree draped in children's dolls, and an old legend reminds them that the dolls ward off the "spirit of the abandoned girl." A crew member disappears and Tess realizes that she must endure the ongoing horrors, in order to reunite her family.

Episode 3 - Tuesday, February 14th 9/8c - "Los Ciegos"

Summary: When the Magus crew disturbs a tree's spores and goes blind, camera operator AJ Poulain must find a cure and face his fear before the team becomes blind permanently. Meanwhile, the crew is stalked by the local Morcego tribe, who is judging whether they are worthy to stay or face the fatal consequences.

Episode 4 - Tuesday, February 21st 9/8c - "A Better Man"

Summary: The Magus team encounters Jonas, one of Emmet's cameramen who had disappeared with him six months ago, and discover that he's been the victim of a mystical curse. Soon, this discovered curse becomes a matter of life and death, not just for Jonas, but for the rest of the crew as well. When the others plan to leave and continue the mission, Lincoln must face this challenge and be the moral compass.

Episode 5 - Tuesday, February 28th 9/8c - "Peaches"

Summary: The Magus finds itself stranded and in need of some parts, when another ship comes to their rescue. However, the new ship's crew of environmentalists are far more dangerous than they appear, despite seeming friendly. Lena and Jonas discover the other ship has Lena's father, missing cameraman Russ, chained in the hull of their ship. Once more, the Magus' crew is in danger.

Episode 6 - Tuesday, March 6th 9/8c - "Doctor Emmet Cole"

Summary: After finding Emmet's camera bag during a trek to the Sahte Falls, the Magus crew examines the tapes and finds footage of Emmet, with two of his crew members looking for "The Source"; a tribe living in the jungle who have powers to heal or achieve anything. As a mysterious demon follows them, killing one of the crew members that leaves the other one in shock that she decides to leave, Emmet is left by himself. In the jungle, he realises that he might have made a mistake coming out here. As he progresses through the jungle alone, hungry and weak, the mysterious demon follows him, and as it is about to take Emmet's life, tribesmen come and save him. They heal him, and take him to a base in the jungle, before hurrying off. People from the base see Emmet and rush towards him to help. The Magus crew realise that he is alive and trek the jungle to find the base, only to discover it is abandoned.

Episode 7 - Tuesday, March 13th 9/8c - "The Experiment"

Summary: Being stalked by cannibals, the Magus crew continues to follow clues to Emmet Cole's disappearance at an abandoned research facility. Kurt Brynildson must make a sacrifice in order to protect the team.

The season finale airs next week, Tuesday, March 20th, at 9/8c on ABC.

My thoughts on this series are that its pretty interesting to me to see the paranormal adventure/action feel this show has. I love the suspense, especially episode 7, which had suspense throughout the enitre episode. I think this show is pretty good and I hope ABC renews it for a second season. If this show does get renewed, I have a feeling though it would only last for a maximum of three seasons, as what much more can happen based on the plot/idea behind the show. If it doesn't get renewed, in May ABC is releasing all 8 episodes from season 1 on DVD, so I'll buy it. What are your guys' thoughts on The River?

bat313

I enjoy it a lot but I agree, it is not a show meant to last for more than 2 or 3 seasons. It would be obnoxious to have them still looking for Emmett 4 seasons from now and I would probably stop watching. Hopefully the show has completely planned (similar to Lost) and won't be dragged out for ratings.

Creepiest episode by far was the doll tree episode. Maybe it's just me but i HATE old dolls and to see those creepy things blinking and moving while everyone was asleep just scared the heck out of me!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.

Featured Posts