The top action cartoons over the last 30 years

CyberCubed

Action cartoons didn't really get good till the 90's because most shows prior were just toy commercials and heavily censored that the good guys could not even punch the bad guys due to censors, and the action was kinda lame and the villains were bumbling rather than menacing. Look at the old Superfriends cartoon from that time to remind yourselves how "bad" superhero shows were handled back then.

The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was a turning point for action cartoons I'd say. While of course compared to today's standards the show is dated and suffered from similar censorship issues, the fact that the show was meant to be a comedy means it could get away with Shredder being a bumbling villain than a serious character like later incarnations. The show had more action, characters were allowed to hit each other, and while it had some slapstick, it toed a fine line between action oriented plots and silly episodes.

I'd say the top action cartoons of the last 30 years in no particular order:

- Batman: TAS
- Superman: TAS
- Batman Beyond
- Justice League/Unlimited
- Teen Titans 2003
- Young Justice

- Gargoyles
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (80's)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003/4kids)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012/Nick)

- The Legend of Korra

- Spider-man: TAS
- Spectacular Spider-man
- X-men TAS
- X-men Evolution
- Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes (2011 show)

Some honorable mentions: Star Wars CG cartoons, Samurai Jack, Brave and the Bold, etc. I can't really count Harley Quinn because that's an adult comedy and not really an action show

Other than the shows on the list, a lot of action shows have not aged well or were too dumbed down for kids or toy commercials, so it's hard to recommend them without nostalgia. Some shows like The Batman simply weren't that good even when they originally aired (besides Season 4 which was great), or the other Marvel cartoons of the era.

If you already watched every show on this list, you've basically seen the best action cartoons of the last 30 years. This is basically the cream of the crop, so barring future cartoons, this is as good as it gets.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I’m not really an action person, but I do like Gargoyles and Avatar the Last Airbender. I also like Samurai Jack from a visually standpoint.

veu

I saw the action cartoons on the list.
In my opinion they are all excellent, especially Marvel and DC.
Among the action cartoons of the last 30 years I would undoubtedly add Winx Club and Huntik Secrets & Seekers, two really well-made Italian cartoons.

JoeMabbon

Robot Clone
I'd argue that most of Hasbro's action output from the late 2000s to early 2010s would make the cut.
  • Transformers Animated
  • Transformers Prime
  • G.I. Joe Renegades
  • Kaijudo
Transformers Earthspark is pretty young, but I'd rank it up there as well.

I can see why people wouldn't care much for Mainframe's 90s action shows (Reboot, Beast Era Transformers), what with their dated CGI. But like early Pixar, the writing elevates them.

Like Hasbro, I think DC's late 00s and early 10s stuff is worth a look. Especially Batman Brave and the Bold and Green Lantern.

And there's the move towards adult action cartoons that's produced some modern classics, like Primal and Invincible.

So yeah good stuff's out there. Just gotta look.

Edit: I don't want to just list every action cartoon I like, but Megas XLR can't go unmentioned.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts