The Walt Disney Company in 2024 predictions

Asa

• The Sade project that’s been sitting in limbo for years finally gets an update (has it been shelved? Or is it still in production?)
  • Premiere date for the Phineas & Ferb revival gets announced
  • A hour-long series finale for Bunk’d gets confirmed (for real this time)
  • The animated canon’s 63rd animated feature gets a title revealed
  • Simpsons and Family Guy DVD sets resume production after a five year hiatus (the last time they released the two shows to home video were back in 2019)
  • The long-awaited Make Mine Music finally comes to Disney+
  • New Pixar SparkShorts confirmed to be in development

TsWade2

• The Sade project that’s been sitting in limbo for years finally gets an update (has it been shelved? Or is it still in production?)
  • Premiere date for the Phineas & Ferb revival gets announced
  • A hour-long series finale for Bunk’d gets confirmed (for real this time)
  • The animated canon’s 63rd animated feature gets a title revealed
  • Simpsons and Family Guy DVD sets resume production after a five year hiatus (the last time they released the two shows to home video were back in 2019)
  • The long-awaited Make Mine Music finally comes to Disney+
  • New Pixar SparkShorts confirmed to be in development
I don’t know. I have no hope for next year.

Eurbane

renewal for The ghost and molly McGee season 3.
possibly a blu ray 4k release of Mary Poppins.
revive the replacements.

Pahiy

It may be a long list but here are mine for 2024.
  • Freaky Friday II is announced for a June 13, 2025 release date for Disney+. And a paparazzi photo of Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan in cosplay as two anime characters in the street in Atlanta (where the movie is being filmed) goes viral, leading to speculation that the storyline involves children/grandchildren.
  • Disney+ announces a third Father of The Bride (1991) movie called Grandmother of The Groom with Diane Keaton and Martin Short reprising their roles, leads to speculation that Steve Martin’s character George Banks has passed away and with Steve denying the death rumors as he will have a role in the film.
  • A new Muppets movie for the 50th anniversary of The Muppet Show with Muppet superfan Brett Goldstein in a role and a co-writer is announced for a 2026 release date.
  • Inside Out 2 is a modest hit at the box office with a Rotten Tomatoes critics score in the early 90s. And like Minions 2’s Gentleminions, the showings has college-aged late Generation Z & teenage early Generation Alpha doing cosplay as Riley's emotions.
  • Given the box office disappointments of some movies this year, there will be more discussions on what to do with future projects the company announced in previous years, with some moving forward and the cancelation of others.
  • Hocus Pocus 3 is announced for a Halloween 2025 release date for Disney+, with a recast middle-aged Max having a role in the film (with original Max actor Omri Katz in a cameo role with the recast actor) and Hannah Waddinham's Mother Witch character being the main villain in the film.
  • The Honey, I Shrunk The Kids continuation movie Shrunk is reworked into a limited series for Disney+ for 2025 or early 2026, and photos of Rick Moranis on set go viral.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3 beats Mufasa at the box office and causes some discussions over the holiday weekend and into early 2025 regarding live-action remakes and possible sequels to them, as leading into its March 2025 release date, Snow White is still causing headaches and has both sides of the aisle talking for all the wrong reasons that I won't go into further detail.
  • Messy conflicts drag out throughout the year from whoever owns Starz prevent Hulu from being renamed Star in line with the international Disney+ services. And both resolve it by keeping their names Stateside and rival streaming services Peacock, Max, Paramount, and Amazon Prime poking fun about the situation throughout the process on their social handles.
  • A Blossom reimagining as a dramedy is announced for both Disney+ & Hulu with Mayim Bialk as an EP. Another announcement (in an awkward situation by some in the press.) at the same time is a family edition (a parent/guardian and a child playing in a team-like format) of Jeopardy! for Disney+ co-produced by Sony, and the host of that family edition is the parent show's 2017 Tournament of Champions winner and podcast host Buzzy Cohen.
  • Disney XD becomes a casualty in the trend of Cable TV's death and also makes future carriage negotiations for the company a little easier, while how to end that obligated contract to air The 700 Club makes Freeform into a zombie channel as those discussions go nowhere.
  • The entire season of Primos is quietly added to Disney+ and premieres in June on Disney Channel as scheduled to further controversy on stereotypes, with the show becoming a talking point on the cable news shows (and like the live action Snow White, I won't go into further detail.).

Moe

• Disney+ become profitable streaming service.
  • There is 50% chance that Bob Iger would be removed from CEO.
  • Disney's animated film become box office success after disappointment box office sales with Wish.
  • Bring some old Disney shows and movies to Disney+ like Aladdin TV series.
  • Series of digital releases for original series on Disney+.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Disney decides to give up and sell off the Fox catalog and IP (except for the Fox-produced Marvel, Star Wars, and Avatar content), following their abysmal 2023.

Perla Magica

Digital Love
Disney XD becomes a casualty in the trend of Cable TV's death and also makes future carriage negotiations for the company a little easier, while how to end that obligated contract to air The 700 Club makes Freeform into a zombie channel as those discussions go nowhere.
For Freeform after ending two long-running shows might be nothing but all movies + original reality shows + Family Guy/Simpsons/The Office reruns channel. Even though they still have the announced scripted shows and two animated adult cartoons to make, they might end up on Hulu. Time will tell but honestly, I completely lost faith for this channel.

The entire season of Primos is quietly added to Disney+ and premieres in June on Disney Channel as scheduled to further controversy on stereotypes, with the show becoming a talking point on the cable news shows (and like the live action Snow White, I won't go into further detail.).
That will be a weird surprise if the whole season will be early on Disney+.

A Blossom reimagining as a dramedy is announced for both Disney+ & Hulu with Mayim Bialk as an EP.
Following the success of "Bel-Air" huh?

Ace

Ace
I'd expect at some point maybe next year or the years after they start reviving cancelled shows on Disney Channel (like popular 2000s shows like Kim Possible or Lilo and Stitch or maybe even ones from late 2010s-early 2020s). It's already happened with Phineas and Ferb and I don't think they're done yet with revivals. Especially since it's harder to get a new IP off the ground.

TsWade2

I have no predictions for 2024, because I have no hope for next year for Disney. However, instead of being a doom and gloomer, I’m just going to hope that someday Disney will do better in the future. Of course, I hope Wish does better on DisneyPlus and become a classic.

stephane dumas

I'd expect at some point maybe next year or the years after they start reviving cancelled shows on Disney Channel (like popular 2000s shows like Kim Possible or Lilo and Stitch or maybe even ones from late 2010s-early 2020s). It's already happened with Phineas and Ferb and I don't think they're done yet with revivals. Especially since it's harder to get a new IP off the ground.
We might add Doug to the list despite then it's older and it's more a sequel than a reboot.
1703474383201.png

However, could Disney is tempted to do revival of others older series like Gummy Bears and Recess?

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
We might add Doug to the list despite then it's older and it's more a sequel than a reboot.
View attachment 306511

However, could Disney is tempted to do revival of others older series like Gummy Bears and Recess?
I’m still wishing for a Pepper Ann revival that, even if you don’t like this idea, makes the events of "The Finale" all "a dream" and involves the characters in eighth grade.

Also, @stephane dumas, I thought Jim Jinkins said that the Doug sequel series was shot down?

The entire season of Primos is quietly added to Disney+ and premieres in June on Disney Channel as scheduled to further controversy on stereotypes, with the show becoming a talking point on the cable news shows (and like the live action Snow White, I won't go into further detail.).
I doubt Disney would do that. Creator Natasha Kline and her crew have likely promised to tweak the show after the controversies.

stephane dumas

The Doug revival was shot down? *sighs* Too bad it would have been interesting to see, what might have been...

Althought Atomic Puppet wasn't produced by Disney but was broadcasted on Disney XD worldwide (except in Canada and France where it aired on Teletoon and France 4), it could have been interesting to see a new season of this series

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony's TV channels
Staff member
The same prediction I had last year (and didn't happen), Disney selling their share of A+E Networks to Hearst.
Also, since they decided to revive Dlife, I'll throw my wish to see Voyage and/or Viajar revived. Not that it will happen, but...

CNNickFan

Invader Zim
They'll probably suck even more. I hate to be that guy, but what's really stopping them from becoming worse. I expect more layoffs, more shelved streaming content and increased amount of shopped content, less regard for DVD, Blu-Ray and 4K UHD content in favor of Digital releases, more whining about their cable assets and how they're planning to sell some of them, even though they won't, because they're DISNEY!!!

However, what I want from them is the exact opposite. There should be a way where they can actually make Disney+ beneficial for everyone. I also want them to stop mass-producing content for the service. They should shop some of their originals and back catalog to Netflix.

I know they're the giant mouse corporation, but do they really need all these studios? Marvel, FOX, Lucasfilm, Muppets, etc. Sell some of them, and start doing business with the smaller studios, like Lionsgate or the Jim Henson Company (yes, they acquired the muppets from Jim Henson Company, but Jim Henson Company could still produce shows for them).

They need to make their channels watchable again. Disney Channel and Disney XD need rebrands, badly. Freeform and the FX networks are fine, just get rid of the unnecessary spam. They need to work out a deal with Charter to get their networks back on the air as well.

I think they should make Blu-Rays and Direct to Video content a top priority again. If WB can do it, so can you. I'm not saying bring DisneyToons back, but there should be a big DVD release once a year. And please stop trying to kill of the physical assets. Physical media is not dead, no matter what BS the media wants you to think.

And for the love of god, PLEASE do not merge Hulu with Disney+. In fact, they should sell some of their stake. I'm sure anyone would be willing to buy it at this point. The whole original point of Hulu was something so revolutionary to internet TV and streaming, to just take it and dissolve it into part of your monopoly is just insulting.

Their studios also need reform. Their TVA, Feature Animation Department, Television Production Studio, Marvel Studios, it all needs to be changed. We want GOOD movies and shows, and not the bare minimum, or pandering crap.
I still can't believe they stopped those. It's been that long? Even if they were to continue doing it, which they should, they would have a lot of seasons to catch up on.
I doubt Disney would do that. Creator Natasha Kline and her crew have likely promised to tweak the show after the controversies.
I doubt it. Egotistical people never like to admit they're wrong. Also, hasn't the first season already completed production?

Last edited:

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
And for the love of god, PLEASE do not merge Hulu with Disney+. In fact, they should sell some of their stake. I'm sure anyone would be willing to buy it at this point. The whole original point of Hulu was something so revolutionary to internet TV and streaming, to just take it and dissolve it into part of your monopoly is just insulting.
The Hulu app and overall streaming service will still be around, but it will also have all the Disney+ content, while all the Hulu content is also on Disney+.

Heck, having Disney+ on Hulu will be the closest thing we’ll get to having Disney+ on Nintendo Switch.

CNNickFan

Invader Zim
The Hulu app and overall streaming service will still be around, but it will also have all the Disney+ content, while all the Hulu content is also on Disney+.

Heck, having Disney+ on Hulu will be the closest thing we’ll get to having Disney+ on Nintendo Switch.
That's kind of a relief. I thought they were getting rid of it overall, but that raises even more questions from me, such as if broadcast networks will even be interesting in doing business with them anymore.

Moe

Outside of the US, there is no Hulu, y'all get one Disney+ for all and as for this reason, Disney want one streaming service, not two (I'm not talking about ESPN+ because they are under dual ownership with Disney and Hearst that is exception). It is not practical for Disney to consolidate the service right now because Disney and Comcast have to finalize the deal to allow Disney own 100% of Hulu, so this take months and sometime few years, and they have to hear from federal regulators if there isn't any changes, and if no changes, so Disney has to renegotiate with multiple providers to allow their contents to be migrated to Disney+ and Disney let streaming rights for some contents to expire.

Speaking about possible scenario - Disney shut Hulu down? - it is complicated and confusion. Disney could shut separate Hulu down, and require you to watch Hulu contents via Disney+ and Disney no longer offer a separate price for Hulu alone. Disney sees Hulu brand as international version of Star. If Hulu apps would be disappear, under deal with Nintendo, Disney would have to make Disney+ app for Switch and future Nintendo consoles, so it has to be replacement, not loss of service for specific console.

Disney has a bad year but not enough to ruin the corporation entirely nor worse than before, so unprofitability related to Disney+ continues to shrink and next year would be favorable. 2020-2022 are worse than 2023 for Disney's corporation earning. It would require many years for Disney to be ruined. Disney make a lot of money from multiple sources, outside of Disney+ and several flopped films. Remember, Disney's earning in studios and theme parks are separated since 1980s under Eisner era, so revenues from theme parks cannot be used to cover on studios expenses.

The numbers of pay linear TV subscription are declining and declining, so they aren't getting better as more people shift to streaming service, so Disney would close or sell linear TV assets when they are no longer profitable, so it could take years. It took 16 years for Netflix to shut the rental DVD down after first streaming service launched. Disney already concluded that streaming replaces the cable and satellite in their word.

I don't know about why stopped DVD releases and I don't take Covid as excuse because DVD manufacturing factories are automated and I do feel that is part of Disney's strategy to make you subscribe Disney+ or buy digitally, however Disney started to release Disney+ originals to DVD - @Fone Bone bought those.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
The reason why Disney has stopped distribution of physical media in Australia (and eventually will be stopping it in other countries) is because not enough people are buying them. DVD sales are at an all-time low. It seems that these days, people would rather stream their favorite movies and TV shows than purchase them on DVD or Blu-Ray.

Also, the Doug revival was never actually going to happen. It was suggested a while back by someone who no longer works at Disney.

Elijah Abrams said:
I’m still wishing for a Pepper Ann revival that, even if you don’t like this idea, makes the events of "The Finale" all "a dream" and involves the characters in eighth grade.

No offense, but as much as I enjoyed Pepper Ann back in the day, I would prefer that the show just stay over and done with. "The Finale" was a good way to cap off the series and I'm legit sick of revivals at this point.

I don't have any predictions regarding Disney, but I would like it if the studio were to rethink it's decision to pass on Crazy Magic Kingdom (a proposed series animated consisting of all new shorts starring classic Disney characters).

Last edited:

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm
It's such a shame that the anime with the long-pink-haired girls like Hinagiku Katsura and Bocchi are never officially dubbed into English. What do you think?

Featured Posts