"ThunderCats (2024 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Discuss this Dynamite Comic series!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Declan Shalvey and Drew Moss join forces to bring this exciting new entry in the ThunderCats canon to life!

THUNDERCATS #1

STL303234

Writer: Declan Shalvey
Artist: Drew Moss

Fleeing through space to escape their dying home world, the ThunderCats were attacked en route by their mortal enemies, the Mutants of Plun-Darr. After diverting their damaged flagship to a planet called Third Earth, the surviving ThunderCats now strive to rebuild their society in harmony with the new world's natives. But the Mutants, determined to possess the ThunderCats' mystical gem, the Eye of Thundera, have tracked them down - and they've also forged an alliance with Mumm-Ra, the devil-priest of Third Earth!

Now the ThunderCats, led by an inexperienced Lion-O, must band together as never before to protect their legacy from this combined enemy. But will they be able to withstand the onslaught of Mumm-Ra the Ever-Living, once he sets his eyes upon them?

Rate and Discuss the ThunderCats comic series from Dynamite Comics!

Related Discussions:

-Gargoyles (Dynamite Comics) Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Spider-Man

This comic is off to a really good start! There was a lot of catch up the book had to get through but it didn't slow things down too much. The art's great though and I hope Moss working here doesn't slow down the Gargoyles books anymore than they have been. The twist at the end has me hooked for at least the next couple of issues for sure. Seeing Lion-O, Cheetara, Tygra and Panthro and the others back is pretty cool and the writer has a good grasp on things so I hope it continues.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
It's a solid start so far. I'm glad they didn't dwell on the origin too much, though I hope some of it is revisited later to get some of that pathos.

My only issue (more of a nitpick) is that Tygra should lose the mustache and Panthro should gain some facial hair.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"A New Thundercat Is Revealed For Dynamite’s “Thundercats” Comic Book Series"​

Thundercats-2-cover.webp

"Fans of the original 80’s cartoon (and the later incarnations from the 2010’s) should be intimately familiar with the main cast, the feline anthropomorphic heroes Lion-O, Cheetara, Tygra, Panthro, WilyKit and WilyKat. The 80’s cartoon eventually expanded to include other survivors of “Thundera”, new heroes such as Bengali, Lynx-O, and Pumyra. The 2010’s version of the show would later add others into the mix (Javan and Caspin, among others). But now there’s a new Thundercat on the prowl.

Dynamite Entertainment recently relaunched the “Thundercats” franchise as a new comic book series, starting with the recent Issue #1 released this month. Now, with the 2nd issue, writer Declan Shalvey and artist Drew Moss are introducing “Calica”. For a series that was originally designed to sell action figures, the mythology of “Thundera” and “Third Earth” has proven captivating enough over the years to allow for new characters and world building, so yeah, why not have a character based off of Calico cats?"

Read the full article here.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
With Calica's upcoming introduction in the second issue, this means three of the four comic book series have introduced a ThunderCat who didn't originate in any of the three animated series such as Lynxana in the Star/Marvel comic book series and Bobcat in the Wildstorm/DC comic book series with the Panini UK comic book series for the 2011 reboot being the only exception.

Vuxovich

With Calica's upcoming introduction in the second issue, this means three of the four comic book series have introduced a ThunderCat who didn't originate in any of the three animated series such as Lynxana in the Star/Marvel comic book series and Bobcat in the Wildstorm/DC comic book series with the Panini UK comic book series for the 2011 reboot being the only exception.
Did that Panini UK comic book series for the 2011 ThunderCats reboot concluded its story or it was cut short due to some reason?

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Thundercats #2

(click on the pic to enlarge)

Synopsis:

In the aftermath of his first battle with the Mu'Tants, Lion-O attempts to use the Sight Beyond Sight to ask for guidance from their lost leader, Jaga. The vision he receives instead leads the ThunderCats to discover another Thundarian survivor on Third Earth! Meanwhile, Slithe and his Mu'Tant band have discovered the pyramid of Mumm Ra - and they're about to learn firsthand how dangerous the Ever-Living one can be!

Red-hot writer DECLAN SHALVEY (Alien, Old Dog) and acclaimed artist DREW MOSS (Gargoyles: Dark Ages, Vampirella/Red Sonja) ramp up the excitement in this second chapter in their all-new ThunderCats adventure, featuring exquisite covers from interplanetary talents DAVID NAKAYAMA, LUCIO PARRILLO, JAE LEE & JUNE CHUNG, as well as SHALVEY and MOSS!

Reading this comic? Share your comments below!

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Having read issue 2, I was surprised about the final panel hinting Calica may have a connection with Mumm-Ra.
Did that Panini UK comic book series for the 2011 ThunderCats reboot concluded its story or it was cut short due to some reason?
I'm not sure, to be honest with you.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I liked the starting scene with Lion-O grieving his loss of youth alongside the twins. It was neat that they were all friends once.
Having read issue 2, I was surprised about the final panel hinting Calica may have a connection with Mumm-Ra.
I hope she doesn't end up too much like 2011 Pumyra.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Thundercats #3

large-5264913.jpg

(click on the pics to enlarge)

Synopsis:

As the wary ThunderCats continue to explore their new home, Lion-O finds himself inexplicably drawn to Calica, the beautiful and mysterious survivor of the crashed Mu'Tant ship. But Panthro and Cheetara view the unfamiliar Thundarian with suspicion, and the ensuing confrontation threatens to fracture their fragile new society - leaving them vulnerable to enemies from both outside and within!

The drama intensifies in this third chapter of the highly anticipated new series from award-winning author DECLAN SHALVEY (Old Dog, Hero Killer) and fan-favorite illustrator DREW MOSS (Gargoyles: Dark Ages) - both of whom contribute a cover for the issue along with acclaimed artists DAVID NAKAYAMA, LUCIO PARRILLO, and JAE LEE & JUNE CHUNG!

Reading this comic? Share your comments below!

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"Dynamite Announces ThunderCats: Cheetara Spin-Off Comic Series"​

Cheetara-Covers-scaled.jpg

"The recently debuted ThunderCats comic book published by Dynamite Entertainment is already getting a spin-off. ThunderCats: Cheetara #1, a prequel series starring Cheetara by Soo Lee and Domenico Carbone, will hit stores in July.

ThunderCats began as an action cartoon series in 1985 and ran for four seasons with a grand total of 65 episodes. Like many action cartoons of that era, action figures gave birth to the series and nostalgia kept the property alive. ThunderCats has been rebooted twice in TV form. First, with a serious version in 2011, and then with the comedic ThunderCats Roar in 2020. Neither lasted long, but it seems as though ThunderCats has found success as a comic book series.

The most recent ThunderCats comic book was launched by Dynamite Entertainment in February of this year. Written by Declan Shalvey and drawn by Drew Moss, ThunderCats #1 sold over 180,000 copies, leading to a second and third printing of the book. Going back to their 1980’s roots, the ThunderCats series sees our heroes escaping the doomed world of Thundera to make their home on Earth only to find themselves locked in battle with Mumm-Ra and the Mutants of Plun-Darr."

Read the full article here.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I read issues 3 and 4. I'm glad this first arc is actually as long as it is. Four issues seems like the right length. I don't know I would've lasted if they kept up dragging the conflict between Lion-O and Panthro or Lion-O being seduced by Calica, the latter being a bit creepy due to him being a kid in an adult body. Though it doesn't seem like she was working for Mumm-Ra after all, which is interesting.

Poor Tigra can't catch a break.

Considering the series' sales success, I'm not surprised there's a spin-off, and Cheetara seems like a solid pick.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Sparklefan1234 wrote on Classic Speedy's profile.
I just saw this on Reddit and instantly thought of you. ;)

Least favourite cartoon?

For me it's Poochini, I dislike the torment that Poochini goes through most of the time.
It's been 17 years and 17 days since the Problem Solverz pilot for Adult Swim (Neon Knome) was made! Even though I do prefer the final product, I think this pilot would make for a good series on [as].
Episode 2 of The Amazing Digital Circus just crossed the 100 million views mark!

I dont know if CNNickFan is a new member or an old one I didnt notice before but I loved their post on Jamie Kellner. A much needed voice of Reason

Featured Posts