Top 10 greatest Saturday morning cartoons

Mist

Celebrating 20 Years of Sonic
What are your favorite Saturday morning cartoons EVER? Here is my list..

eek_cat.gif

eekletter.jpg
eekontv.jpg

10. Eek! The Cat
A great show about an overly optomistic purple cat eiether always getting: (a) Mauled by Sharky or (b) getting hurt some other way. I hope it comes to DVD someday.

garf.gif

garfieldodie2.jpg

9. Garfield and Friends
I remember watching this every Saturday morning when i was young. I love Garfield's dry wit. The only downside the show had was U.S Acres. I wanted 30 minutes of just Garfield.

741027168594-072-sRGB.jpg

8. Oggy and the Cockroaches
I assume most people didn't really like this show, as it didn't last as long as say, Bobby's World, Life with Louie, or Space Goofs, but i loved it. I was always cheering for Oggy. I really hated those cockroaches. The animation too, was excellent.

twistedfelix.gif

7. The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat
I watched the movie of Felix at a friend's house once and i loved it. So when i heard about Felix getting his own show, i was expecting it to be like the movie. I wasn't expecting some happy-go-lucky show with a style which looked like it was some 30's cartoon, but i loved it nonetheless.

lifewlou.jpg

6. Life with Louie
A fictional autobiography of Louie Anderson's childhood. I loved the holiday specials and i was estatic when i learned it was becoming a full series. you gotta love Louie's dad. :D

mollybump.gif
squishmolldoubt.gif

5. Bump in the Night
A claymation show which ran on ABC back in 1993, about a green monster which lives under a boys bed and loves to eat socks. I don't know why i loved this show so much. Mr. Bumpy and (I forget the Blob's name) made a great duo.

sammax_a.jpg

4. Sam and Max: Freelance Police
Like most great series, this one was short-lived. I loved the animation style for this cartoon, and all of Sam's (He's the rabbit right?) wacky antics. I hope that someday this sees a DVD release.

mcartoon.JPG
supermario.jpg

3. Super Mario Bros. 3
While i'm a die-hard Sonic and SEGA fan, my favorite of all the Mario series, would have to be Super Mario Bros. 3. They didn't really try to be serious and action-packed here like the sonic cartoons, and were more lighthearted stories, which always ended with Koopa and his kids getting defeated. It also had some good music too.

bobby_home4.gif

2. Bobby's World
Bobby's World has always been a classic cartoon for me. When it first came out, i was about Bobby's age myself (Well, maybe a year or two older) And i always used to daydream, so i could relate a lot to him. i loved the animation style, and Bobby's design.

satam_1.jpg
satam_3.jpg

SSS048.JPG

1. Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM)
While i don't really care for the SatAM continuity anymore, with how they turned Eggman into a monster, had all this Princess and King crap, and all the furries which look nothing like Sonic characters, for its time, it was my favorite show ever as a kid and made Saturday my favorite day of the week. And it had a great theme song too (Though a little cheesy lyrically)

Honorable Mention
: X-Men. The first comic-book based cartoon i really got into. Needless to say, i was pretty disappointed in the movie, but that's getting off-topic. And also, Super Dave. I loved seeing Dave get hurt and always yell in pain. XD

[/center]

Last edited by a moderator:

Zach Williams

Here's my Top 10, although I really don't have a top 10. So in no particular order......

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Pokemon (First seasons)
Bobby's World
Digimon:Digital Monsters
Recess
Animaniacs
Static Shock
Funky Cops
Jackie Chan Adventures
Felix The Cat & Friends

True Noir

I haven't watched Saturday morning cartoons in like a year or two but here are some in no particular order.

Sonic: The old one
Digimon: First 2 seasons
Medabots
Animaniacs
TMNT
Fantastic Four
Spiderman
Recess

Sketch

not like those other old guys
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Sonic the Hedgehog
Super Mario Bros.
Garfield and Friends
Eek the Cat
Earthworm Jim
Freakazoid
Life with Louie
Spider-Man the Animated Series
Digimon Seasons 1 and 2 (especially 2)

I'd say Sam & Max but I haven't seen it enough to make it an all time favorite but it gets honorable mention. The same goes for The Tick.

Tintin

Bugs Bunny & Tweety Show
Dumb & Dumber
Garfield & Friends
The Pink Panther (90's)
The Mask
Oggy and the Cockroaches
Sonic the Hedgeghog (the 90's series)
Mon Colle Knights
Disney's Aladdin
Timon & Pumbaa

Marvel_Knight

Ahh, dammit
10)

Animaniacs:

The classic adventures of Yakko, Wakko, and Dot. I just remember LingOL at this a lot.

9)

Freakazoid:

This was awesome. This show was crazy.

8)

G&F:

Same as CjFilmz.

7) Spider-Man: TAS:

One of my first exposures to comic book adventures. Loved seeing this.

6) X-Men: TAS:

More mature than Spidey. Liked the animation style more. So much action and character interaction. So cool.

5) Big Guy and Rusty:

This was like a different kind of show. Different and unique. Never read the comics though.

4) X-Men: Evolution:

Shaky at first but got a lot better.

3) Batman Beyond

2) Superman: TAS

1) Batman (all of it, when it was on SAT)

Tobias

Who you gonna call?
10. Beetlejuice (non Fox episodes)

9. The Real Ghosbusters

8. The Addams Family (1992)

7. Mr. T

6. Superpowers Team: Galactic Guardians

5. Earthworm Jim

4. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (1st season only)

3. The Pound Puppies (1st season only)

2. Superfriends: The Legendary Superpowers Show

1. ALF - The Animated Series

Honerable mentions: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Sonic SAT, The New Scooby Doo Mysteries, 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo, Care Bears, Pepper Ann, & Garfield & Friends

PC!

lolwut?
I was never much of a saturday cartoon junkie when I was younger, but I did watch Sonic the Hedgehog regularly since that was early on in my fanboyism and I had to see anything Sonic. I started becoming a SatAM cartoon junkie around '99 when Fox Kids started airing Digimon. Nothing was better for me than waking up early on Saturday mornings to watch Digimon.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Only ten? Nice try.

1. Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures. The reason I got up on Saturdays and had the awesomest theme song EVER!!!

2. Superman. Probably my favorite DCAU series before Justice League.

3. Adventures of the Gummi Bears. The greatest Disney SatAM series was also the first.

4. Spider-Man '94. Great theme, Awesome characters, crappy dialogue. What more could you want?

5. The Adventures of Batman and Robin. Almost as great as Batman The Animated Series.

6. Eek! The Cat. It never hurts to help! AAAAAARRRRGH!

7. The Tick. Even better than the live-action series.

8. Muppet Babies. A childhood fave.

9. X-Men '93. A great superhero show.

10. Garfiled and Friends. A classic with two awesome theme songs.

11. Batman Beyond. Great revision of the Batman legend.

12. The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley. Hanna Barbera's first surreal series.

13. Static Shock. A current fave.

14. New Batman Adventures. Another great Batman series.

15. Fraggle Rock the cartoon. Only one season but I have nothing but fond memories.

16. The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. A classic that hasn't aged a day.

17. Alf. Best. Theme. Song. EVER! Or at least tied with MM:TNA.

18. The Zeta Project. Sob! I miss this so much!

19. Darkwing Duck: Not as great as the weekday version but this is where we first saw Steerminator.

20. Kissyfur. I remember loving this cartoon. I wish it was on DVD.

Dee

What?
My favorites:

Back to the Future. Yes, many call it lame... but before MIB, my love was BTTF and the cartoon was so nifty!

The Real Ghostbusters: What kid didn't adore this? We had all the action figures and slimer with the chewed up Pizza--- and the little proton packs... oh man I miss those.

Big Guy and Rusty: I dunno why--- but I loved it.

The Extreme Ghostbusters: Enjoyed it because it was Ghostbuster related and it was made by the same people who made Men In Black TAS

The Weird Al Show: Not entirely animated, but it had a chunk of animation in it. Who can say no to an animated Al and Harvey Hamster?

Men In Black the Series: It was MIB perfection to me. It had Gregg Berger as Kay and man he was so good. The alien inventions were so cool and I loved the LTD. There was Elle, who was so darn cool--- and all sorts of old aliens and new aliens and a number of celeb voices in the first season including Tony Shalhoub as Jeebs and Vincent as the Bugs.

Hehe... I love that show :elle:

Killtacular

the race wars had begun
Superman: TAS
Freakazoid
Sam and Max
Earthworm Jim
The Tick
Science Court

..and that's it. There are no other good Saturday morning cartoons.

nwm2112

I'm not really into Saturday-morning cartoons that much at all, but I loved the Woody Woodpecker show from '99. Someone please bring it back...

T

tartsonawire

1. Freakazoid! : This show is sooo awesome, and I'm so glad I got all the eps on tape the last time CN aired them all!

2. Muppet Babies: Too cute! I liked Wrolfe

3. Weird Al Show: Al, along with anything he does, is just awesome. It was like a newer and better (IMO) PeeWee's Playhouse.

4. Animainiacs: Loved it. Like F!, crazy enough for the kids, smart enough for the grown-ups.

5. Road Rovers: I only watched this because it came on before or after F!, and I liked it.

6. Earthworm Jim: Loved the game, loved the toon

7. The Tick: I liked it, but never managed to catch it too often. Spoon!

8. Eek! the Cat: Ditto.

9. Looney Toons: Who doesn't love classic Loony Tunes? They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

10. Garfield & Friends: I liked this because I was and am a life long Garfield fan. I liked US Acres, too. Bo was awesome!

Sketch

not like those other old guys
Matt Wilson said:
Freakazoid
Sam and Max
Earthworm Jim
The Tick
Science Court

My aren't we possitive... ^as always^

You didn't like Garfield, Eek the Cat, or Ninja Turtles? I'm disowning you Mr. Wilson. Oh wait... I already did that when you said Tetris and Super Mario Bros. were crappy games.

tucsoncoyote

Time to get my "Game face" on
My Top 10, You might be surprised.

Here are my top 10 Saturday Toons, and it might surprise a few people, then again maybe not..

10. Thundercats / Silverhawks (Tie) -- These Two shows by Rankin Bass were of Course the real reason why I got hooked into those 1980 Cartoons, and for Good Reason, Especially Thundercats. After all this you could say was the first time any cartoon Company had done athromorphic Cartoons, at least as I remember, besides Silverhawks Tooks Cybernetics and Bionics to a whole new level as well. but both were fairly good, and not bad..

9. Saturday Supercase (Especially the Space Ace Segments) Alright This one was perhaps the Only Saturday Show that i liked and of course during my teen and young adult age i was hooked on Video games, and My fave of course was Space Ace. and I really liked all those Space Ace episodes, not close to the video games but close..

8 The Perils of Penelope Pitstop.. This Wacky Races Spinoff during the Late 1960's and early 1970's was perhas the best reason to think sometimes like a villain Paul Lynne (who voice the Villain) was perfect for the role as the Hooded Claw, and some of his wacky "Rube Goldstein Ideas" were the best to try and do in Penelope, of course, Those goody two shoes, the Ant Hill Mob (Why would a bunch of Guys do this?) would always save the girl, and I loved how Lynne would always do his favorite line.. BLAAAAAAAST!

7. Superfriends (all versions) what Can I say? I'm an addict for Superheros too, and what better way then to watch this show on Saturday (Thank heavens JLU is back on! cause now I know why I was hooked.)

6 Dungeons and Dragons CBS in the Early 1980's Had perhaps the best idea.. Take a Role Playing game, insert 6 kids into it.. Mix.. and watch the fun as you had the bumbling Magician Presto (who amazingly looked like Harry Potter!) and the Pompus Cavalier Eric would butt heads with one another. while the Ranger Hank, (the Leader of the Group) was always trying to keep order..(Though Shiela, (The Thief) and Diana (The Thief Acrobat) were hotties in their own right.) Bobby (The Barbarian) really didn't appeal to me, but it gave me a great reason to enjoy RPG's

5. Speed Racer (1970's version) (where I lived it was on Saturdays!) and believe me Speed, Trixie, Sparky, Spridle and Chim Chim Rocked.. The Mach 5 was a sweet Ride, and Racer X (Speed's Brother) was killer as an agent.. Loved the antics, and the fun.. and not bad for a Japanese import..

4. Voltron (Defender of the Universe- Lion Version) Another great Import from Japan.. and Princess Allura..(No wonder the guys were pining over her!) but what was cool was the Giant Robot formed..and Speaking of Robots.

3. Transformers (G1) Let's face it Hasbro had the Formula down right initially and seeing the fun full length movie later shows that this was way better then Beast Wars and Beast Machines, or even today's versions of Armada and Energon.. but Beast Wars with it's CGI Version shows what can be done.. but what was better was...

2. Reboot I initally saw this one in the early 1990's and the series was ll about computer games but let's face it ABC was never going to show season 3.. that is until CN Took over... but then it brings me to my number one animated show (if you call it such..)

1... Thunderbirds..(Surprise!)... Yep Just released on the big screen as a Live action movie, this weekend, this show was indeed on Saturday, and in fact sure it wasn't animated but Using animated puppets do count don't they? Gerry Anderson shocked the world when he gave all those cool Tracys the gift of Gab.. and the vehicles? Well I would always Love to get behind the flight controls of T-bird 1.. and really take it out for a Test spin. Or maybe if not that.. Love the idea of T-Bird 2..(A radical design for it's time, yet was capable of 5,500 MPH) but the guy I loved most? Brains.. he's my idol!
let's just say taht Thunderbirds, as definitely the definitive show that shows, no matter what you can say. Thunderbirds are definitely Go.

:coyote:

Baltofan

Top 10

1. Animals Of Farthing Wood
2. Watership Down
3. Dexter´s Lab
4. Powerpuff Girls
5. Courage The Cowardly Dog
6. CND Rescue Rangers
7. Sonic Sat AM
8. Pokemon
9. Digimon
10. Aladdin

Merrytoon

is just drawn that way
Included are only shows that I watched on Saturday morning, not shows that aired on Saturday moring, but that I watched at another time.
1.Muppet Babies
2.Garfield and friends
3.The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show
4.Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
5.Back to the Future
6.Ghostbusters
7.Jem
8.Barbie and the Sensations
9.Life with Louie
10.The Tick

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Matt Wilson said:
Freakazoid
Sam and Max
Earthworm Jim
The Tick
Science Court

SOMEONE'S never seen Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures.:D

AdamYJ

The Saturday Morning Kid
There are just so many. I'll list as many as possible in no particualr order.

X-Men TAS
X-Men: Evolution
Xiaolin Showdown
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (both series).
Muppet Babies
Spider-Man: TAS
Bobby's World
Gummi Bears
Darkwing Duck
The Mighty Ducks
Sonic the Hedgehog
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Project G.eeK.eeR.
Gargoyles: the Goliath Chronicles
Frteakazoid
Animaniacs
The Real Ghostbusters

and . . . that's more than ten anyway, why bother going on.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.
Somebody please give me a show that I won't ever regret watching.
Samurai Champloo, $5 on Apple TV. I know the series is 20 years old which is, like, 100 years in anime world, but definitely worth the buy!
I now genuinely want to see Steve Blum voice Kermit in something official. He is spot on.

Featured Posts