Top Ten Cartoon Network Shows That Need a Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMS Toon

Banned
Here is my top 10 list of Cartoon Network shows that need a reboot.

1. Codename Kids Next Door
2. Courage The Cowardly Dog
3. Megas XLR
4. Johnny Bravo
5. Cow and Chicken
6. Whatever Happened to Robot Jones
7. Chowder
8. Camp Lazlo
9. Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
10. Dexter's Laboratory

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
It's not hared to explain - we need to continue to make more original fare. NOT bring back stuff for people who can't get over things that need to be gotten over, like nostalgia. Same goes for your Disney reboot ideas, TBH with you.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I'm with ShopSoldier. The 1990s was a good era for USAnimation, but you can't live in the past. It's time to move on. I'd rather see Cartoon Network break new ground and produce new and innovative original programming rather than just rely on it's former glory. The 90s CN shows were OK, for the most part, but I don't need to see any of them get rebooted (we sure as shootin' don't need another Dexter's Lab revival after how abysmal the last one was), although some more episodes of Megas XLR might be nice, but I'd settle for a complete DVD release of the series.

Last edited:

szjdfgs

I'd like to at least see Galactic Kids Next Door come to reality if we're talking about reboots. Warburton talked about it in great lengths in his blog that he had plans and wanted to come back but the network just wasn't interested at the moment.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
A new season of Megas would be nice, but IIRC, CN let the rights to that slip away.

Chowder? If we're talking a return to season 1 Chowder, then maybe. Season 2 and beyond, HECK no!

The others? No, just no, for the reasons Goldstar Neo and ShopSoldier said above me.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
It's not hared to explain - we need to continue to make more original fare. NOT bring back stuff for people who can't get over things that need to be gotten over, like nostalgia. Same goes for your Disney reboot ideas, TBH with you.
I agree with this, except for Samurai Jack because it never got a proper ending. I really want to find out how Jack defeats Aku.

Just give us that Samurai Jack movie, Cartoon Network! DX

Jazz1000

Evil PLANS...
Reboots are not needed o_O we already had Powerpuff Girls and Ben 10, we don't really need 3 more reboots on CN,
i agreed with ShopSoldier and everyone else here

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Honestly as I've stated before the current CN line up is actually potentially it's strongest right now. Which I think even CN realizes as it's extending this line up far longer then any shows it has before. PPG is only being done as not only was it the most popular CN show as a way to actually show whether or not the current CN can have a successful show with female main characters as the specific main characters. Not a "sort of main characters" like with Steven Universe but the specific main heroes. And though there is some debate about that, on that merit alone I want the PPG Reboot to succeed so more female led shows can thrive. Your other picks TMS Toon... sorry I don't see that happening. And in fact I'm going to go into the reasons why specifically.

1. Codename Kids Next Door

Actually the creators did want to do more with KND. Thus that whole April Fools thing we saw a few months back that showed interest in wanting to push more KND. But not as a reboot or anything, but as a sequel spinoff. I doubt we'll see that but if you want to push anything more for KND don't reboot it, continue it with the stuff with Numbah One and the Galactic Kids Next Door. That's the direction it should go on. Reboots to me are really only necessary if you have a solid enough idea to start off with but went in such terrible places for it you need a new restart point. Not if you have a place where if you can continue you can still have good ideas.

2. Courage The Cowardly Dog

Courage is in a weird way a show I can see actually working with a reboot focusing on new terrors and what not for Courage to face but it doesn't feel needed. Especially as though it was a fairly popular series it was always still a weird outlier on Cartoon Network. One the network cared for and appreciated and obviously promoted and used quite a lot but... one who they never felt like they needed to expand on like some of their other more popular shows. Plus unlike with KND where the staff still shows some interest in it, John Dilworth and crew have clearly moved on from Courage into other things entirely. And like with most series I'd want to see the original crew back. Granted we didn't get that with PPG but... Courage even more then that is one of those series that only would work if a specific tone and atmosphere was poured into it. You can give a different fresh coat of paint on PPG to make it work but you can't do that with Courage IMHO. I know I said I could see it working but only if the original team was involved which again they won't be as they've moved on.

3. Megas XLR

You know a few of these won't happen if only because some of these shows weren't even popular when they first debuted. Megas is a big example of that and it's a show CN did try pushing heavily as well but it never took off. IMHO it's also kind of an ovverrated show as though it does have some good episodes (the season 2 finale especially) it wasn't nearly as funny as it could of been. Still minus the staff moving on, the interest in general isn't really there. I guess fans would want this more then a Juniper Lee or Puffy Ami Yumi reboot but... that's still a very small fanbase man. Not to mention that the CN shows more then ever are skewing to characters more connected and relatable to either kids or older teens which I can't really get with Megas at all. Sorry but slacker bros like Mordecai and Rigby are way more reltable then Coop and Jamie. Not to mention funnier and go on more interseting adventures honestly.

4. Johnny Bravo

Uh, Johnny Bravo had TWO Reboots already man. The original run, then a second run with a different staff, and then a third run with Van Partible back. Why give it another run? Seriously not even Family Guy technically came back as many times as Johnny Bravo. And it's one of those shows that honestly shows it's age more then a lot of other cartoon network series. As yeah it's type of joke and set ups were kind of funny in the 90's but yeah as even the second reboot showed it had sort of warn off by the 2000's and would just be stale in this day and age. Seriously watch the Mad segment "Once Upon a Toon" and remember what kind of show Johnny Bravo was and why it wouldn't really fit coming back in this time. And speaking of that...

5. Cow and Chicken

Yeah Cow and Chicken is even more dated as it's one of those "Ren and Stimpy" esque shows we saw a lot of in the 90's because of how popular Ren and Stimpy was to Nick. Which is why Cow and Chicken was the first mainstay Cartoon Cartoon to end it's run.. even before the 2000's and digital inking was a thing, because it's a very old idea. Heck you want to know how old it is? The banned episode that dealt with the gang of "lesbian bikers" would have no problem passing nowadays with what we see and hint with in shows like Adventure Time and Steven Universe. Shows just how limited this show was and nothing about it screams that it needs a reboot. I think I can give PPG a pass because we could use more high octane incredible super speed action packed heroe comedy series again but pork butts and 10 times more Charlie Adler then required? No thanks. Same goes with I.M Weasel BTW.

6. Whatever Happened to Robot Jones

Again another show that wasn't ever really popular at all. The only thing noteworthy about Robot Jones besides it's animation style was the fact that like Clarence it had to have it's lead actor replaced... but more for "technical legal reasons" then... we're not going to what happened with Skylar Page here okay? And look CN already tried another show focused on robots going to school and having adventures in it's current line up. It was called Robotomy and it didn't go anywhere and neither did Robot Jones. Which is another one of those series that isn't nearly as good as people look back and remember. Seriously people are kind of blind to CN Nostalgia to realize how really solid the new line up is and how bleh some of the old line up is, like this. Especially when other series on CN right now have much better and more interesting retro kind of art styles then this one.

7. Chowder

Chowder isn't even that old to have a reboot man. Even by Amazing Spider Man logic having one would be pushing it. And really even more then Flapjack, Chowder is a remnant of one of the few bright spots in CN's weakest period of original show line up. And like Flapjack, it's only pretty good by proxy of what else was around it at the time. It is noteworthy for being the first real CN show to try having kids play the kids who star in the show which we have nowadays but it's nothing that needs to be revisted. Especially when it's creator has moved on to Harvey Beaks and really whose going to pick up the reigns for Chowder? A show I'm honestly convinced only lasted as long as it did because it was the closest thing CN had to a hit in that period in the late 2000's so they needed to cling to something. Not like today where the shows they keep renewing are still actually really popular and have a reason to still be around.

8. Camp Lazlo

Camp Lazlo is the definition of a mediocre show. It's animation, it's characters, it's plots, it's acting, and even it's marketting and overall preformance are just mediocre. Joe Murray will forever be known as the guy who created Rocko's Modern Life which was a show that lasted just as long on Nickleodeon but had way more of an impact and much more overall enjoyment then this show which... just did okay. And honestly why would you want a reboot of something that was just okay? I can understand wanting to reboot something great to recapture it's glory or even something awful as there may of been an idea that was just done terribly you can improve upon but... you don't reboot medicority okay. There's nothing in Camp Lazlo that screams it needs to be worked on more or heck even really seen again. It was just there and honestly remains there for a reason.

9. Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends

I guess it's at least a successful idea that you could do more with again but this isn't PPG where it was a monstorous hit people who didn't even know about kids cartoons would know about. And honestly even though it's run was rather shaky it ended on a solid enough note that doesn't really warrant much. And quite honestly if you want more Foster's Home for Imgainry friends... there are already shows for that. You want the zany situations and out comedic banter of Foster's? Try Wander Over Yonder. You want the emotional core and character interactions from this cast bouncing off one another? My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic. Seriously Craig McCracken and Lauren Faust moved on and put their stamps on other shows that honestly also never got as bitterly meanspirted or cruel as Foster's got which does make them better products as well.

10. Dexter's Laboratory

Look we already saw what happened when Dexter's Laboratory was worked on by someone who wasn't Genndy Tartakoskey (who has obviously moved past Cartoon Network and is working on movies and other projects) and his team. That was the third and fourth seasons of DL. You want that again? Really? .... Yeah I don't need to argue anymore why this is a bad idea.

So yeah in short we're only getting one CN reboot for a reason and asking for more from unpopular/mildly popular/shows that ran their course just fine is just pointless.

Jazz1000

Evil PLANS...
Look we already saw what happened when Dexter's Laboratory was worked on by someone who wasn't Genndy Tartakoskey (who has obviously moved past Cartoon Network and is working on movies and other projects) and his team. That was the third and fourth seasons of DL. You want that again? Really? .... Yeah I don't need to argue anymore why this is a bad idea.

So yeah in short we're only getting one CN reboot for a reason and asking for more from unpopular/mildly popular/shows that ran their course just fine is just pointless.
yeah i hate to see that coming back after what happen to it's recent seasons, i mean do people not get idea that there just going be as bad as spongbob/FOP is now?

ShadowBeast

Courage the Cowardly Dog I can see getting rebooted after the CG short.
Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends They ended this series because they ran out of ideas, so they knew to quit before it got FOP bad. The best way to continue this show would be with specials. this way the stories would more likely be good with very little chance of decline.
Megas XLR This I can see getting rebooted only as an Adult Swim series since it has that maturity to it.
Codename Kids Next Door The creators seem to continue this show so a reboot would not be needed, especially since given enough time the creators must have fresh new ideas.
The rest of the shows listed I can't see getting rebooted or continued.

Getouttamylab!

Was a coiled up attack snake before it was cool
I'd like to see G:KND get rolling, but otherwise, ShopSoldier pretty much hit the nail on the head. There really isn't much need for every single show from CN's past to get rebooted (especially ones that, quite honestly, were rather mediocre, like Camp Lazlo). CN's doing reasonably well without rebooting shows willy-nilly. (The TTG! overload notwithstanding.)

TMS Toon

Banned
I'm gonna be honest you guys I agree with you, none of these reboots really need to come back, I only did these threads to see how you guys would react to any of these shows coming back, because ever since The Powerpuff Girls, Teletubbies and The Magic School Bus reboots were announced I kept on seeing articles almost every day saying what shows should get rebooted and most of the show's listed on there ie. (The Moxy Show, The Wild Thornberrys, Lloyd in Space) are pointless reboots, with little to no explanation on why they should get rebooted.

I'm actually sick and tired of people complaining and talking about how 90s shows were the best and how they should get rebooted, seriously people need to stop living in the past and grow up, especially the people on buzzfeed who regularly talk about 90s shows 24/7.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
I'm actually sick and tired of people complaining and talking about how 90s shows were the best and how they should get rebooted, seriously people need to stop living in the past and grow up, especially the people on buzzfeed who regularly talk about 90s shows 24/7.

This was covered in another thread in another forum, but the majority of the people on sites like BuzzFeed currently are people in their 20's who grew up during the 90's, and with the internet and social media at their disposal they tend to speak the loudest about declaring their nostalgia. In 20 years, there will be dozens of online chats about how great the shows of the 2010's were. It's the Circle of Life.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I would honestly like to see G:KND. I much rather see it as a TV movie than a series to be honest.

jaylop97

Staff member
I'm gonna be honest you guys I agree with you, none of these reboots really need to come back, I only did these threads to see how you guys would react to any of these shows coming back, because ever since The Powerpuff Girls, Teletubbies and The Magic School Bus reboots were announced I kept on seeing articles almost every day saying what shows should get rebooted and most of the show's listed on there ie. (The Moxy Show, The Wild Thornberrys, Lloyd in Space) are pointless reboots, with little to no explanation on why they should get rebooted.

Honestly no one here really talks about 90's shows to begin, and modern shows aren't that bad. While you consider reboots are refreshed shows they are different that the original show so nobody would gain nostalgic feelings for it.
Cartoon Network has a solid lineup now
Then again you surely had a weird change of heart for your thread, but i think that its time to close this thread for your inconsistency of reboots and now you are against them

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts