Turning Red vs. Brave: How Pixar Changed in the Last 10 Years?

Turning Red vs. Brave

• Turning Red

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Brave

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

awinger24

Turning Red vs. Brave: How Pixar Had Changed in the Last 10 Years? (Open Discussion)

I like to create this open discussion about how “Turning Red” appears to be an improvement over another film that had production issues, and that was “Brave”, formerly titled “The Bear and the Bow”.

As many know, Brenda Chapman was the initial director of Brave, until after butting heads with John Lasseter, she was booted off the project. She was replaced by male director, Mark Andrews. Originally, the film was supposed to focus on the mother/daughter relationship between Merida and Elinor, something that resonates with Chapman and her free-spirited daughter. As Andrews came on board, he was probably ordered by Lasseter and the Braintrust to make it more gender neutral. That means adding slapstick/humor, having a magic subplot, turning Elinor into a bear, which almost makes it look like Pixar is remaking Brother Bear. And also how Merida is characterized in rewrites, moreso a male’s perspective on female. How Merida is often seen as a brat. And how the film shifts focus on King Fergus and other male characters.

Turning Red, however, while one of the last films approved by Lasseter, got off the ground as soon as he and Catmull left Pixar. With new trust from Pete Docter, Domee Shi was able to complete her film the way she wanted. And it broke many of Pixar’s traditional formulas, especially the buddy picture (pairing of two) aspect. We see the film focus on Mei Lee, her friends, and most of all her relationship with Ming. And how Ming’s father wasn’t stealing the spotlight. We finally saw someone with a female perspective and it didn’t feel compromised. And the film itself is consistent with its tone and story. I guarantee if John Lasseter was still on board, he would replace her with a male director and the story would have been a mess. But instead, it is Pixar’s first film solely directed by a female and a women of color with no interference.

So, Turning Red or Brave?

I’ll leave the rest of the discussion to you on how both films compare and contrast in story, pacing, and characters.

trfan

Was the Buddy aspect the only thing that was flouted?

I wonder how Lasseter would have responded to some of the more unconventional scenes... such as the ones that pushed the PG envelope. (Mermaid drawings, Red Peony etc.)

awinger24

Was the Buddy aspect the only thing that was flouted?

I wonder how Lasseter would have responded to some of the more unconventional scenes... such as the ones that pushed the PG envelope. (Mermaid drawings, Red Peony etc.)
Probably so.

Lasseter would have disapproved those scenes and he might have replaced them with scenes similar to what was in Brave. More screen time of Merida’s dad, Mei only having just one friend instead of a group. And Mei doing boy stuff that would have made the film “universal”.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I voted for Turning Red, but I honestly don’t think Brave is that bad. I think it gets way too much hate.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm
It's such a shame that the anime with the long-pink-haired girls like Hinagiku Katsura and Bocchi are never officially dubbed into English. What do you think?

Featured Posts