Voice actor deaths that REALLY affected you

aegisrawks

Most of these are dub actors for me but I hope this thread is approved and people join in.

Liza Willert: Dub Actress- She was literally everyone's mom ever since she played Dexter's mom in Dexter's Laboratory. When I heard of her death it was so shocking. Like losing a mother figure.
Daisuke Gori: The poor man played so many awesome manly men, but was a sweetheart and everyone loved him. He had diabetes and slowly but surely was losing his sight which eventually be total. He ended his own life and his body was found with a note that said "I'm sorry." I only knew how good he was after his death but it really got to me. One of his final roles was Jinbe from One Piece, if he had lived he would be one of the Straw Hats by now.
Hiromi Hayakawa: Her story is so sad, she was an inmigrant from Japan but lived in Mexico, she was bullied for her otherness but then became a voice actress and a celebrity after she entered a local reality show. Her life ended along with her baby's during a complication from a pregnancy. She was Merida in Brave and many cartoons in Mexico.

toonatic#_#

While I was (obviously) not alive to truly experience it, Mary Kay Bergman's suicide hurts, not just because of her mental situation, but also because of the infamous "joke" Butch Hartman did about her role as Timmy Turner. It was years ago, but it still feels so disrespectful and *******-ish to do about a person who was dealing with mental health issues.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
I was really bummed when C. Martin Croker died. He took what were, let's face it, generic action show villains and made them his own on Space Ghost Coast to Coast. He wasn't even that old when he passed either.

Phil Hartman, goes without saying. He had such an iconic voice and it was sad knowing we'd never see Troy McClure or Lionel Hutz ever again. And that's not counting all the characters he voiced in other shows/movies. Come to think of it, this was probably the first celebrity death in general that affected me (partially because he was murdered, which was shocking at the time), only rivaled by Gene Siskel's death of brain cancer complications a year later.

While I was (obviously) not alive to truly experience it, Mary Kay Bergman's suicide hurts, not just because of her mental situation, but also because of the infamous "joke" Butch Hartman did about her role as Timmy Turner. It was years ago, but it still feels so disrespectful and *******-ish to do about a person who was dealing with mental health issues.
For those of us who aren't aware, what was the "joke"?

the_joker

Can't think of a title
It wasn't "agonizing", but Kevin Conroy's death was and still is tragic. Mark Hamill has retired from voicing Joker due to Kevin Conroy's passing, and Tim Daly or George Newbern as Superman in future project also won't be featured alongside a Batman voiced by Kevin Conroy.

I just played a number of the Arkham games, and they've been great, especially City. If another great or perhaps better Batman game ever got made, it's unfortunate that Batman wouldn't have his voice, or at least he wouldn't be around for it.

cheril59

It wasn't "agonizing", but Kevin Conroy's death was and still is tragic. Mark Hamill has retired from voicing Joker due to Kevin Conroy's passing, and Tim Daly or George Newbern as Superman in future project also won't be featured alongside a Batman voiced by Kevin Conroy.

I just played a number of the Arkham games, and they've been great, especially City. If another great or perhaps better Batman game ever got made, it's unfortunate that Batman wouldn't have his voice, or at least he wouldn't be around for it.
Funny thing, Thom Huge left PAWS Inc. when Lorenzo Music died. I'll bet he took it REAL hard, man.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
From those I followed live? I concur C. Martin Croker. Moltar and Zorak, in his style, are special products of their time. Loved the creativity and range. Also Casey Kasem. No more og Shaggy after so many years. Like many I watched Scooby Doo a lot. Plus both their deaths are somewhat unfortunately sad stories. But the one that struck me the most was definitely Reuben Tuck. He was the voice for almost all major tv channels, including Cartoon Network, in Asia Pacific for 15 years. The best thing about him was you couldn't tell. He had great energy. And his demise was sudden just before retiring. I cried with that one. Gary Owens gets a mention too. Og Space Ghost and Feral. I enjoyed both characters.

If I had to name some other before I really got online realising they're gone... then probably Mako, Tony Jay or DonLaFontaine. Those are special narrators.

And then you have classics like Mel Blanc, Alan Reed, etc. who no need to explain.

Last edited:

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
I was too young to remember when Mel Blanc passed away. Alan Young was a bummer but at least he lived a really long life. It's the ones who die young that are the most shocking, at least to me.

DocForbin

I think for me the death of Heather North in 2017 kind of hit me pretty hard since she voiced Daphne on Scooby-Doo. I admit I had a crush on Daphne back in the day. Grey DeLisle certainly has done pretty well being Daphne's current voice but hearing Heather North voicing her brings back some fond childhood memories. And let's not forget she had a few live action roles as well (most notably in The Barefoot Executive and an episode of Adam-12).

Vuxovich

Two Serbian voice actors passed away from the COVID-19: Nenad Nenadović (the voice of Goku) and Marko Živić (the voice of Rafael the Toucan). It really devastated me. But what I found weird that none of the Japanese voice actors have passed away from the COVID-19. Why?

aegisrawks

Two Serbian voice actors passed away from the COVID-19: Nenad Nenadović (the voice of Goku) and Marko Živić (the voice of Rafael the Toucan). It really devastated me. But what I found weird that none of the Japanese voice actors have passed away from the COVID-19. Why?
Oh well I tried being nice but that's it.

Vux, this is not talking in the thread to honor a VA you loved, this is doing what you do in every one of your threads, ask weird questions with parameters that have nothing to do with each other. PLEASE dont do that, and if you have to please do it elsewhere.

wiley207

I was especially devastated by the deaths of Robin Williams, Christine Cavanaugh, Alan Young, June Foray, Russi Taylor, and Gilbert Gottfried. And though they're more like puppeteers, I was also similarly saddened by the deaths of Jerry Nelson and Caroll Spinney.

Vuxovich

Oh well I tried being nice but that's it.

Vux, this is not talking in the thread to honor a VA you loved, this is doing what you do in every one of your threads, ask weird questions with parameters that have nothing to do with each other. PLEASE dont do that, and if you have to please do it elsewhere.
Accept my apology!

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts