Warner Bros. Animation Early High Definition Shows

awinger24

What's New Scooby Doo, Baby Looney Tunes, Duck Dodgers, Loonatics Unleashed, and Tom And Jerry Tales are many of the earliest shows from Warner Bros. Animation to be produced in high definition and widescreen (16:9).

For broadcast on Kids WB and Cartoon Network, it is in the standard definition format either in Betacam SP or Digital Betacam.

When What's New Scooby Doo? and Baby Looney Tunes' first episodes were delivered in 2002, the overseas animators had to deliver the scenes entirely either on HDCAM tapes (which the format debuted in 1997) or on electronic files direct from the digital source (animation software). The episodes were later finished on AVID editors with the HDTV 1080p standard but it had to be compressed and cropped for SD broadcast on networks and cable TV.

What are your thoughts on this? This was before Betacam SP and even HDCAM tapes were phased out in favor of all electronic distribution and delivery.

Petran Markou

tapes need to be digitally archived anyway because they demagnetize with time.
But it depends if the creators wanted to take advantage of the wide screen format or used it just to extend the background.

Reminds me that one episode of Chip and Dale was produced in cinemascope (ultra wide screen ratio), yet majority got to see it in sd format.

Spotlight

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts