We’re Back: A Dinosaur’s Story

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I watched this movie last night for the first time in a long time. It was a childhood favorite of mine. It’s one of those movies where every line is familiar.

Although I wouldn’t call it a great movie it does have a few things going for it. First off the score by James Horner is outstanding and sounds genuine and sentimental. Secondly, I applaud it for doing something different. In a time where every animated movie was trying to be Disney, it dared to be different by trying to be Don Bluth.

The main problem with the movie is that some of the choices it made. This movie had many odd plot threads that were tacked on and not fully explained. For instance the movie had a framing device of Rex telling a baby bird the story. You honestly kind of forget about it so it seems pointless. There was also a subplot about the kids the dinos met having problems with their parents, but these problems are resolved off screen in a montage. They could have just left them out. Also this movie had a quite frankly bizarre voice cast. Walter Cronkite, Jay Leno, and Julia Child were among the talents. Just why? It would be like if a movie today had Rachael Ray, Jimmy Kimmel, and Wolf Blitzer on board.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on the movie?

Pooky

Staff member
I did see this as a kid, but my main (earlier) memory is seeing it promoted on the UK Channel 4 weekday mornings show (not explicitly for kids) The Big Breakfast; I can't remember if this was for the theatrical or VHS release (I'm guessing the latter) but the angle was that it was the Spielberg Dinosaur film for kids who were too young for Jurassic Park, which I thought was cute. Jurassic Park had been rated PG in the UK, which meant (unlike the 12+ or 15+ where admittance was restricted strictly to patrons of that age and above) parents could take children of any age, which was not without controversy, and some adverts strongly cautioned parents of children under the age of 8.

I know reviews at the time mostly weren't great and that it hit the era of snarky internet reviews too, but I suspect in some ways it may play better now than it did then. It's a feature film utilising US-style traditional animation, and there are only so many of those. Even Quest for Camelot has some merit in this regard IMO.

It's also one of my favorite film titles.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts