What anime have you been watching?

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
I noticed that there are active threads about this in the General Animation and Entertainment Board but not here. Just a general place to discuss/review, recommend, and/or disavow any anime you've seen recently.

I binged the rest of Excel Saga last weekend and capped it off with Puni Puni Poemy. I think I may have lost my mind, but beyond that...Excel Saga, for the most part, still holds up. It's hard to make the same kind of argument for Puni Puni Poemy, as its goal is primarily to offend and satirize some of the seediest tropes of the anime industry. It also takes any sense of subtlety from Excel Saga (of which it hardly had to begin with) and throws it out the window. At the beginning of the second episode, for over a minute, I couldn't figure out if the audio track was in English or Japanese, because I could not make out what the hell the main character was screaming.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Making my way through Virtua Fighter, since it's free on TMS's YT channel. Given that the games are hardly bastions of deep storytelling to begin with (they've always been all about the gameplay), it's interesting how it fleshes out the characters. (Though truthfully, some of the tropes are pretty standard, like Pai finding Akira obnoxious but warming up to him over time) Pretty good dub too, for a studio that hasn't done a whole lot.

Other stuff:
- I recently finished the first 12 episodes of Spy X Family. A bit of a slow build up with the premise but it definitely has potential. And obligatory "Anya is adorable" comment.
- Retro Crush had Megazone 23 parts 1 & 2 so I watched those. Intriguing ideas, pre-Matrix no less! And dig that high budget animation, back when OVAs were higher quality than TV.
- It took long enough, but I finally watched Tokyo Godfathers. Overall I liked it, with a unique cast/setting and some interesting visual character acting.
- Speaking of playing catch-up, Space Adventure Cobra, 40 years after the fact. Gotta love space opera.
- My Hero Academia, currently going through "season" 4 (the set that starts with "The Scoop on U.A. Class 1-A").

Shiloh Otter

Anxiety in the house
I've been watching Yuru Camp as of late. I've seen the first 10 episodes as of this post, and I love that there's not much to it.

It's just got this real cozy vibe to it, and sometimes you just want something like that.

I've got 2 episodes left of season 1, and I'll be rotating through other shows for a little while (not anime) but I'll definitely be coming back to it.

animeadept

I'm rewatching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It's been years since I last saw it and I can't remember some of the plot. I missed watching Roy and Riza working together! aahh my ship is sailing

Markus Nelis

After DB creator passed away, I've been watching a lot of the Dragon Ball series. It's going to be hard but I'll try to watch every episode of the franchise. Wish me luck.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
Not any this month, but watched the Case Closed (Detective Conan) episodes that were dubbed on TubiTV. Even found that Crackle had the early seasons subbed.

Watched and enjoyed Gundam The Witch From Mercury cause of the couple and due to seeing it mentioned by some Owl House fans.

Violt

I've been watching a lot of stuff. I am watching the new anime series that have just come out in summer 2024.

I started on the second season of Shy. I will be watching Fairy Tail 100 Years Quest and season 2 for Tower of God and Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.

Featured Posts