What if DIC bought Fox Kids instead of 4kids back in 2002?

Dwain345

Banned
In an alternate senario, suppose 4kids failed to acquire the rights to Fox Kids back in 2002 and instead DIC got to the rights first. Would Saban and DIC team up to make Fox Kids stay afloat in 2002 and beyond?

Streaker Prower

In an alternate senario, suppose 4kids failed to acquire the rights to Fox Kids back in 2002 and instead DIC got to the rights first. Would Saban and DIC team up to make Fox Kids stay afloat in 2002 and beyond?
Yep! And DIC would stay in business and not merge with Cookie Jar in 2008

Dwain345

Banned
Yeah, but what exactly would DiC fill much of the timeslot with? Stuff from their competitors? 4Kids stuff leading to a new deal with Nintendo AND Sega at the same time?
DIC would bring Sailor Moon, Strawberry Shortcake 2003, Super Mario Bros show, Sonic Satam

Review Metabee

Who gets stuck with all the bad luck?
It's January 2002. DIC, Universal, 4KIDS and Nelvana are bidding each other on the 8AM-12PM slot on FOX.

FOX no longer owns Digimon, Power Rangers, Mon Colle Knights and the English dub of Transformers: Robots in Disguise, something had to be done about the block urgently. FOX reached out to 4 companies who were in need

DIC, Universal and Nelvana are fond of the FOX Kids block (They all had programs on it in the 2001-2002 season)

Out of all odds and $12,000,000. DIC won.

February-September are the same for the block, albeit FOX doesn't even bother to rebrand FOX Kids letting the "Foxriders" rebrand stick around until the very end

September 14th 2002. The big kahuna is launched and it's called "DIC Kids Network" or Fox just brands it as FOX Kids (with the 2002 branding this time around)

Here's some things that I will have to go through and what happens to alot of these shows that aired in the 2001-2002 season on FOX Kids

Digimon (Tamers has reruns on UPN and Frontier premieres there)
Galidor (Moved to ABC Family where reruns are played until 2003.)
Mon Colle Knights (Stays dormant until late 2006 when reruns appear on Toon Disney)
Medabots (Picked up by ABC Family)
Woody Woodpecker (Show stays dormant and never airs on TV again)
Transformers RID (same as Woody)
Power Rangers (Moved to ABC Family/Kids)
Magic School Bus (replaced by E/I lineup)
2002-2003 Schedule (The block is more automated than expected, new episodes are only for those that haven't aired yet)
Weekday Morning Schedule (this is for affiliates that NEED this timeslot for their 3 hours of E/I, not compulsory but reccomended)

7:00AM: Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century (E/I)
7:30AM: Gadget Boy's Adventures in History (E/I)

The actual "meat" of the block is on Saturday Mornings

2002-2003

8:00AM: Stargate Infinity (E/I) (Giving this show a premiere place and a home for a couple of years)
8:30AM: Sonic Underground (the show didn't air on syndication afaik)
9:00AM: Sabrina: TAS (Later replaced by secret life)
9:30AM: Gadget & The Gadgetinis (DIC own US rights and as a little revenge for ABC Family for not airing the show)
10:00AM: Alienators: Evolution Continues (The only Saban FK remains of the block)
10:30AM: Archie's Weird Mysteries
11:00AM: Super Duper Sumos (Doesn't air on SLAM but instead FK)
11:30AM: Gadget & The Gadgetinis

Yep. There is NO chance DIC would be able to get actual ratings, their block on syndication was doing pea damage compared to Kids WB! and even UPN... This block would probably cause detrimental impact to DIC itself and would probably leave a good chunk of the company in shambles

JulianRO

It would have been a good idea for DiC to buy Fox Kids since its library would have been owned by WildBrain, after DiC was acquired by Cookie Jar.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
It would be interesting if Knights of the Zodiac premiered on Fox Saturday morning instead of CN Saturday night. Maybe they would’ve aired more episodes, and certainly at a better timeslot than it ended up in on SVES. Although this relies on Dic lasting more than one year on Saturday mornings for a fall 2003 lineup. It is hard to see a lineup like the fantasy schedule from Metabee doing well in ratings. I wouldn’t change it much other than to swap out one of the Gadget slots for the Littles or Sherlock Holmes. The Dic library is limiting, and mainly suited for E/I filler. Stargate Infinity would do even lower ratings than it did on Fox Box on this block, since it wouldn’t have the benefit of people tuning in early while waiting for hits like Kirby. Maybe rerun Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad at 11:30 as a parallel reality substitute for the Fox Box’s Ultraman Tiga. The more Power Rangers feel to this 90s version of Gridman might suit Saturday mornings better than 4Kids’ strange dub of Ultraman.

Review Metabee

Who gets stuck with all the bad luck?
It would be interesting if Knights of the Zodiac premiered on Fox Saturday morning instead of CN Saturday night. Maybe they would’ve aired more episodes, and certainly at a better timeslot than it ended up in on SVES. Although this relies on Dic lasting more than one year on Saturday mornings for a fall 2003 lineup. It is hard to see a lineup like the fantasy schedule from Metabee doing well in ratings. I wouldn’t change it much other than to swap out one of the Gadget slots for the Littles or Sherlock Holmes. The Dic library is limiting, and mainly suited for E/I filler. Stargate Infinity would do even lower ratings than it did on Fox Box on this block, since it wouldn’t have the benefit of people tuning in early while waiting for hits like Kirby. Maybe rerun Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad at 11:30 as a parallel reality substitute for the Fox Box’s Ultraman Tiga. The more Power Rangers feel to this 90s version of Gridman might suit Saturday mornings better than 4Kids’ strange dub of Ultraman.
DIC's entire lineup is suited for E/I filler for FOX... Not to mention most of their shows have finished production years ago (obviously relying on reruns). FOX's ratings during those times would fall drastically and DIC would be forced to leave FOX...

I think this would also leave regular viewers of FOX Kids much more confused and would probably move to Kids WB! (where most 4KIDS productions would go)

DIC would only bring 2 new shows to the table whereas last year FOX Kids was brimming with new shows (the weekday slot of course had the new Transformers Robots in Disguise and 28 new Woody episodes to air)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.

Featured Posts