What Is The Future Of Non-preschool Mickey Mouse Shows?

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
A very common complaint towards Mickey Mouse is that he's often portrayed as more a corporate mascot rather than a real character. It's especially notable in the Disney Junior shows, which get a lot of exposure, which doesn't exactly please older fans of the character. When the Paul Rudish Mickey Mouse series came out in 2013 (and became The Wonderful World Of Mickey Mouse in 2020), it was seen as a breath of fresh air due to how he had a more dynamic personality. However, it seems like this won't be the case anymore. The Paul Rudish series ended back in July with the episode Steamboat Silly, there currently aren't any announcements for non-preschool Mickey shows, and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is coming back. It seems like the character just being a corporate mascot is here to stay. What are your thoughts on this?

Toon Guy

I'd sure like to see a Looney Tunes Cartoons-esque series of Mickey Mouse sometime soon, either by Walt Disney Animation Studios (their latest Goofy skits and anniversary shorts were exceptional) or Disney Television Animation.

Last edited:

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
I'd sure like to see a Looney Tunes Cartoons-esque series of Mickey Mouse sometime soon, either by Walt Disney Animation Studios (their latest Goofy skits and anniversary shorts were exceptional) or Disney Television Animation.
I'd definitely like to see Disney make some new shorts starring the Sensational Six a la Pete Browngardt's Looney Tunes Cartoons initiative; either that or a new Disney Plus show set in Mouseton or something akin to ABC's Mickey Mouse Works. Years ago Goldstar and I conceived an idea for a show set in Toontown which was sort of a Jellystone! meets House of Mouse called Welcome to Toontown, in which Mickey has a 'prankster with a heart of gold' persona. In fact we blogged about it here:

(Disney, if you're interested, give us a ring. Have your people call our people. ;) )

I know some people disdain the Mickey preschool shows, but they won't be going away anytime soon, as they bring in the ratings and put tiny butts into seats; I'm personally OK with that, as long as that's not all we get.

I don't think Mickey's ever going to stop being a mascot, again that's fine, as long as Disney remembers that he's also a character. Given how successful the Paul Rudish shorts were, I don't think we've seen the last of fun, zany Mickey, at least I hope not.

TsWade2

Me too. I don’t like the idea of Disney is reviving that awful preschool show Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, but that’s just me. Maybe Disney will make a new short series of Mickey Mouse and Friends when Mickey turns 100 years old. It’s five years away, but hopefully when House of Mouse is added on DisneyPlus, then my patience will be much easier. But, I can always rewatch Disney old shorts and Paul Rudish’s Mickey Mouse in the meantime. I’ll do the best I can not to rant about that possible disaster reboot Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Wish me luck! :rolleyes:

Toon Guy

I never really cared for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse myself, and I'm not particularly happy it's coming back either, but if that's what the current generation grew up with, and that's what the little kiddies like, each to their own, I guess. It just would be nice to have another show that replicates, or at least is inspired by, the classic Mickey Mouse shorts like Paul Rudish's show did, and a Mickey Mouse with a personality.

TsWade2

I never really cared for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse myself, and I'm not particularly happy it's coming back either, but if that's what the current generation grew up with, and that's what the little kiddies like, each to their own, I guess. It just would be nice to have another show that replicates, or at least is inspired by, the classic Mickey Mouse shorts like Paul Rudish's show did, and a Mickey Mouse with a personality.
I agree. But it might take some time. Let's give it at least five years and we'll see. Besides I don't want to go over obsessing about it like I did in a past. And believe me, it's no fun. :rolleyes:

DeanBurrito25

Disney deemed Rudish Mickey its own park ride, so I'd like to hope that they will provide some leniency when it comes to future adaptations. Even after all these years, the company is extremely protective of the character, but every once in a blue moon, you get a notable exception like Runaway Brain or Epic Mickey or the aforementioned Rudish shorts. That entire series was a risk and it paid off in spades; I've found myself laughing at those harder than most of the original Mickey shorts! It more than proved that a lot of untapped potential still remains.

As for Clubhouse, enough time has passed to warrant a revival, not to mention the Zoomers who grew up with that show are likely nostalgic for it now. If it looks anything like Roadster Racers (which has aesthetically better looking CG animation in comparison), I can't complain about that. I get the concern though, I feel like Disney also isn't doing much with Winnie The Pooh beyond that upcoming preschool show.

TsWade2

Disney deemed Rudish Mickey its own park ride, so I'd like to hope that they will provide some leniency when it comes to future adaptations. Even after all these years, the company is extremely protective of the character, but every once in a blue moon, you get a notable exception like Runaway Brain or Epic Mickey or the aforementioned Rudish shorts. That entire series was a risk and it paid off in spades; I've found myself laughing at those harder than most of the original Mickey shorts! It more than proved that a lot of untapped potential still remains.

As for Clubhouse, enough time has passed to warrant a revival, not to mention the Zoomers who grew up with that show are likely nostalgic for it now. If it looks anything like Roadster Racers (which has aesthetically better looking CG animation in comparison), I can't complain about that. I get the concern though, I feel like Disney also isn't doing much with Winnie The Pooh beyond that upcoming preschool show.
I agree. I think the last Mickey Mouse short we have right now is Once Upon A Studio. I also agree that Disney is doing a better job with their CGI on MATRR and MMF than MMCH. So as much I hope the CGI on the MMCH 2.0 will be better, but I’m not going to like that idea. But it’s just me.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts