Whats with all the hate for Disney XD?

Radical Raven

Bow bow bow, bow bow bow...
I've wondered this since the change was first announced. When it first came into public knowledge that it was going to be a "boys channel", there was a lot of moaning that it would just be the same-old glorification of sports and music. Now that we know they're are going to be a lot of traditional animated shows (new and old) people are still complaining about the change. It just seems like people are going out of their way to hate this channel. Why?

chdr

I agree. I'm actually looking forward to DXD, a lot more than what was Toon Disney.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Huntsman

Friend of Toon Zone
The obvious reason is that a lot of animated programs are no longer going to have a legitimate shot at being shown on the network. With Toon Disney, there was always the possibility that an old animated program would be shown as part of a super stack or in some random airing, but Disney XD has a much more limited target demographic and I sincerely doubt that they’ll be showing things such as “101 Dalmatians: The Series” or “Chip ‘n Dale Rescue Rangers”. People loved Toon Disney because it was a place to watch the classics, and even though the classics had been reduced over the years thanks to Jetix, people were still able to watch them. That doesn’t seem as likely with Disney XD. Disney XD will air some older animated programs, but as far as I can tell, “Batman: The Animated Series” is the only one that has been confirmed.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
The obvious reason is that a lot of animated programs are no longer going to have a legitimate shot at being shown on the network. With Toon Disney, there was always the possibility that an old animated program would be shown as part of a super stack or in some random airing, but Disney XD has a much more limited target demographic and I sincerely doubt that they’ll be showing things such as “101 Dalmatians: The Series” or “Chip ‘n Dale Rescue Rangers”. People loved Toon Disney because it was a place to watch the classics, and even though the classics had been reduced over the years thanks to Jetix, people were still able to watch them. That doesn’t seem as likely with Disney XD. Disney XD will air some older animated programs, but as far as I can tell, “Batman: The Animated Series” is the only one that has been confirmed.

Jackie Chan Adventures, Superman, Iron Man, Spider-Man and The Spectacular Spider-Man are planned for inclusion too.

The Huntsman

Friend of Toon Zone
Jackie Chan Adventures, Superman, Iron Man, Spider-Man and The Spectacular Spider-Man are planned for inclusion too.
“The Spectacular Spider-Man” isn’t exactly old. As for the others, I can’t say that I’m surprised, but my point still stands that many other shows aren’t going to have much of a chance at being shown on Disney XD. Some of them might, such as “Gargoyles”, but they aren’t going to be showing “The Little Mermaid” or anything of that sort on a network that is geared specifically towards boys. Toon Disney had a wider target demographic, which permitted it to have a wider array of programming.

peterg14

Full of Stuff
I would mind if Toon Disney had some awesome schedules and shows that they showed everyday, but over the past year, they've basically become a cycle of the same 6 shows, with maybe a small chance to see something different. At least now, the channel will get some fresh blood.

Martin Juneau

Cartoon/comic-artist
I wishing to have Toon Disney for have a better experience of the old Disney animated shows. Since they make out of the syndication, Toon Disney have the bext experience for the 80's to 2000's Disney animated shows. I feel sad the're gone. :crying:

NewcomerDC

The hate is coming from the old school Disney fans who loved how their shows were treated with respect. Although they might've had flaws with either script writing or animation, the days of The Disney Afternoon/One Saturday Morning were the best Toon Disney had to offer along with DIC programming and other good quality shows from Disney Channel and ABC Kids.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
I don't really hate it, and some of the shows are really promising.

My only problem that this and Fox soon to be rid of their Saturday Morning line up, diminishes the alternatives that animation fans have as far as basic cable goes. If Nicktoons/Boomerang/Funimation Channel were more available, it would just be a minor inconveniece at the most.

Burgundy Ranger

Follower of Power Rangers, especially TV listings
and I sincerely doubt that they’ll be showing things such as “101 Dalmatians: The Series” or “Chip ‘n Dale Rescue Rangers”. People loved Toon Disney because it was a place to watch the classics,
I really have no great feeling one way or the other about the switch.

Mainly because I'll never grasp how shows like the ones you mention come anywhere close to being "classics."

So, it's just switching out one batch of formulaic programming for another.

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
I think it might be due to a lack of DVD releases. Look at the Power Rangers box sets overseas which we don't get here. I think there would be a lot less griping if every single animated TV series Disney released was available beginning-to-end on DVD, but unfortunately, they usually stop midway through a show's release, and seem to blame "lower sales" for the reason to stop. Disney should do some better budgeting on both the timing and number of copies produced of the final volumes of a show's DVDs, instead of assuming to produce the exact same amount of DVDs every single time.

The Huntsman

Friend of Toon Zone
Mainly because I'll never grasp how shows like the ones you mention come anywhere close to being "classics."
Was that really necessary? Regardless, it all boils down to personal opinion. I have been an ardent supporter of Disney XD and I have created several threads letting people know about the animated programs that are going to debut on the network, but I believe that it is well within my rights to be a bit disappointed that several animated programs that I love are probably never going to be seen on TV again.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I am kind of upset because I always thought of Toon Disney as a haven for animated Disney shows (but that thought has been dying over the past couple of years), and now its a channel for elementary school boys.

Off-topic: Does anyone know if they are going to be playing House of Mouse on Disney XD?

Mad Mod 49

Personally, I think Toon Disney has been dead and over with since 2004 due to the pimping out of Jetix; rebranding it Disney XD is probably for the best, that way it won't feel so "fake" like it does now (being called Toon Disney when there's barely any Disney.)

Burgundy Ranger

Follower of Power Rangers, especially TV listings
Was that really necessary? Regardless, it all boils down to personal opinion.
I'll never debate or deny that it's all personal opinion and one opinion is no better or worse than any other.

All I did was state my opinion -- strongly, yes, but nothing more than an opinion all the same -- that most of what came out in the early 90s was rather mundane and run-of-the-mill.

Dudley

Staff member
I was shocked and upset at first. I grew up watching Toon Disney every time I had the chance. It was another channel where I could watch a lot of cartoons.
But once Jetix came on, and they started producing original shows, and getting shows like Superman, Batman, and airing Fox Kids shows after acquiring Saban Entertainment, I looked more forward to that than anything that Toon Disney aired.
The only thing I enjoyed on Toon Disney was the movies.

So long as the classics (or better yet, the shows I actually watched) on Toon Disney are available to view through other venues, then I don't really mind them going. So long as Disney XD still airs plenty of classic animated movies, I'll be fine.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
A great deal of the hate is due to the fact that this format/name change signals the final nail in the coffin as far as the Silver Age Disney shows (Rescue Rangers, TaleSpin, Goof Troop, Darkwing Duck, the 1 Saturday Morning shows, etc.) and 90's era acquisitions (Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, the Fox Kids shows, et al) ever returning to television, at least as long as Disney owns them all. Before, when Jetix was just a block and but one percentage of Toon Disney, people could hold on the hope (however thin a veil it was) that these shows would someday return, but with the channel changing names and getting a complete overhaul format-wise, those hopes are pretty much in the dumpster.

There's also disdain for the channel's "wannabe cool" demeanor; their ads are trying very shamelessly to pander to the suppsoedly "hip" teen/tween demographic. This desire to captialize on the early adolescent audience has earned Disney a lot of razzing over the recent years.

Mad Mod 49

Well, even for Disney XD as I am, it's pretty much impossible to not admit that the marketing sucks. Hint for Disney's marketing team: if you want something to come across as cool, then don't use "cool" stereotyping...it just makes it seem UNcool. :sweat:

J!!!

You're such a little kid~
I love XD already Spiderman Batman and Superman all on 1 channel

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts