Why 4Kids Entertainment didn't outsource their voice-acting work to Los Angeles and Vancouver, unlike DIC Entertainment?

Vuxovich

I have noticed that two of New York City-based companies, Sunbow Productions and Bohbot Entertainment, outsourced their voice-acting work to Vancouver. However, this wasn't the case for 4Kids Entertainment. In my opinion, Sonic X, GI Joe: Sigma 6, Viva Piñata and Chaotic would work better if they were voiced in Vancouver by the Ocean Studios. The latter two because they were produced by Vancouver-based animation studio Bardel Entertainment. Unlike DIC Entertainment, 4Kids never did any Vancouver-made dub with the Ocean Studios or a cross-regional voice acting project. Why was that?

Last edited:
maybe they had an in-house studio at one point and also they used TAJ to dub in NYC

Where as now, Modern Pokemon (JN and HZ) use Iyuno which gave them access to not only NYC but also Hollywood

So that's why Liko's Partner Pokemon is Laura Carrot (2019) and Friede is Alex Lion from Madagascar

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I have noticed that two of New York City-based companies, Sunbow Productions and Bohbot Entertainment, outsourced their voice-acting work to Vancouver. However, this wasn't the case for 4Kids Entertainment. In my opinion, Sonic X, GI Joe: Sigma 6, Viva Piñata and Chaotic would work better if they were voiced in Vancouver by the Ocean Studios. The latter two because they were produced by Vancouver-based animation studio Bardel Entertainment. Unlike DIC Entertainment, 4Kids never did any Vancouver-made dub with the Ocean Studios or a cross-regional voice acting project. Why was that?

They were a NYC based company and it was likely cheaper for them to hire local talent than scout for talent in other cities.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Tara has asked some of the other actors and actresses about this on 4Kids Flashback. At one point, the actors were in contention with the management. I believe it was over them creating a bank of Pokemon sounds. This was done to avoid the expense of paying actors back to make these sounds every week. When the actors complained about losing these extra roles, they were told that 4Kids would just move production to Canada if they were unwilling to go along with 4Kids’ ways of doing things. Some of the actors moved to Los Angeles and ended up recast by other New York actors, while others continued to work for 4Kids.

Bluebaron

Tara has asked some of the other actors and actresses about this on 4Kids Flashback. At one point, the actors were in contention with the management. I believe it was over them creating a bank of Pokemon sounds. This was done to avoid the expense of paying actors back to make these sounds every week. When the actors complained about losing these extra roles, they were told that 4Kids would just move production to Canada if they were unwilling to go along with 4Kids’ ways of doing things. Some of the actors moved to Los Angeles and ended up recast by other New York actors, while others continued to work for 4Kids.
One of the other earlier podcasts mentioned that they just wanted to dub it in Canada at first in general.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts