Why do anime fans only like 90s/2000s anime dubs?

Dwain345

Banned
I think the current english dub especially on current Simuldubbed anime since 2016 were not have a big impact to their fans than the early 00's to early 2010 no matter how good the dub VA is and the talent pool for english dub is expanding thanks for the remote recording.most of fans and some website always mentioning the dub of classic anime that they always recommend to watch like Cowboy Bebop, Dragon ball Franchise, Fullmetal Alchemist and Full metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Yu Yu Hakusho, Samurai Champloo, Gurren lagann, FLCL, Ghost Stories ( Many fans like and defend the dubs when the dubs using Politic, religion and Sex reference rather than accurate to the script because the misinformation that the japanese told them to do so ) and Space Dandy ( the only modern dubs that was often discussed until now) and not many people mention modern dubs like AOT, SAO, OPM, or any Isekai anime like Rezero, Konosuba and Shield Hero because of fans prefer watch it in sub rather than the dub.
I understand that the 90s/2000s dubbed anime always being favoured by many anime fans more than the modern dubs, is it the quality that makes fans think the 90s/2000s dubs being the best than modern dubs, but why do people said this?

MomoAyase

Personally, I don't like watching animes with dubbing because they often take too long to release. We all want to stay up to date with the season's anime and having to wait for them to be dubbed can be frustrating. Besides, when you get used to Japanese it is very strange to hear how they speak other languages.

SuperSuck64

Misanthrope Supreme
From what I can tell anime fans don't like any dub regardless of year because of both their purist attitude towards anime and their irrational Westphobia and constant projection of their intolerant views onto translators and voice actors while acting like censorship and localization are a problem exclusive to the US and caused by evil SJW agendas and not just standard practice and adherence to regulations when distributing commercial work for any country.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Admittedly I don't pay attention to most corners of the fandom anymore, but I was under the impression that dubs were generally looked at more favorably than the ones from the '90s? At least when it comes to the fans that actually watch dubs.

The fact that the turnaround time to dub series has to be much quicker than in the past only makes the VAs' work more impressive.

Spotlight

Staff online

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm

Featured Posts