Will Ryan Dead At 72

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter

Voice actor Will Ryan, who's done a lot of voice work for Disney, has died at the age of 72. There was an episode of Mickey Mouse Funhouse that aired on November 19, the day he died, where he reprised his role as Willie The Giant one more time.

Screenshot_20211120-010138.png

Last edited:

Mandouga

He was also on the early Disney Channel series Welcome to Pooh Corner, though I’m not sure which role(s) he played. He might have even been on Dumbo’s Circus, which came a couple years later. He was also Scrooge McDuck in “Sport Goofy in Soccermania”, which is basically episode 0 of Ducktales. He regularly appeared in Adventures of the Gummi Bears, though again, I don’t know who he played. Outside of Disney, he was the voice of Grubby the Octopede in the Teddy Ruxpin franchise, which also features his music partner Phil Baron as the voice of Teddy (they were a musical duo called “Willio and Phillio”). He was also Digit, Warren T. Rat’s right-hand cockroach in “An American Tail”.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low Spark of Lyman

What a night! I had to do six encores at the club.
He was also on the early Disney Channel series Welcome to Pooh Corner, though I’m not sure which role(s) he played. He might have even been on Dumbo’s Circus, which came a couple years later.
IIRC, he had stints voicing several Winnie the Pooh characters in the 80s. Going by what I have on the Garfield* Wiki, he was Barnaby on Dumbo's Circus.

Another one of his more recent roles was Papa Bear (from the Chuck Jones version of The Three Bears) on Looney Tunes: Back in Action.

*He did several voices in Garfield and Friends, and even co-wrote some of the songs for the Am I Cool or What? project.

EDIT: Looks like he voiced Rabbit and Tigger for Welcome to Pooh Corner. Plus the singing voice of Eeyore (otherwise voiced by Ron Gans in the series, both succeeding Ralph Wright). He previously voiced Rabbit in Winnie the Pooh and a Day For Eeyore (succeeding Junius Matthews).

Last edited:

Mandouga

I don’t know about Tigger. My understanding is that Hal Smith (who voiced Pooh, and Owl) also voiced him, but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wiley207

Hal Smith did voice Tigger on a couple of Disney read-along book-and-audio sets in the late 70s (where he was also voicing Pooh, Eeyore and Owl), but starting in the 80s Will Ryan became the "backup Tigger" for when they couldn't get Paul Winchell (such as in "Welcome to Pooh Corner".)
Speaking of Disney read-alongs, this 1981 "Three Little Pigs" Storytape co-produced by Fisher-Price and Disneyland Records, Will Ryan's Big Bad Wolf was the most spot-on of all the character voices on the cassette. (He'd go on to also voice the Big Bad Wolf in the first scene of "Mickey's Christmas Carol".)

Eurbane

he did the voice of petite in the land before time, herald the seahorse of the little mermaid, frog of frog and toad, betram the goose from the mother goose treasury, and the duck brothers of courage the cowardly dog.

• Agree
Reactions: Asa

Low Spark of Lyman

I first saw Mark Evanier mention Ryan being younger than stated, relaying what Katie Leigh (co-star on Dumbo's Circus) said. I wasn't sure if that was legit information (if only because there was an air of "well, he didn't seem that old"), but now I think confidence in that bit of information is warranted.

This isn't the first time I've seen someone's birth year get updated after death: two earlier examples are Rick Ducommun in 2015 and Rip Taylor in 2019 (both of whom also guest starred in Garfield and Friends). Maybe James Avery as well.

Low Spark of Lyman

I remember when Wikipedia said he was in his 80's. I wonder why they made such a big mistake?
It may not just be that site.
This isn't the first time I've seen someone's birth year get updated after death: two earlier examples are Rick Ducommun in 2015 and Rip Taylor in 2019 (both of whom also guest starred in Garfield and Friends). Maybe James Avery as well.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts