Would you like to see more anti-heroes in cartoons?

KaiserLemon

And I don't mean in adult cartoons, they have plenty of them already, I mean in cartoons aimed at more general audiences.

In recent history, protagonists in animated series have been kind-hearted and compassionate individuals. Some even have a strict, self-imposed rule against killing. (Steven Universe, for example) While I do adore these characters, part of me also wants to see more flawed and morally ambiguous protagonists in TV animation.

My ideal cartoon anti-hero would have a cynical and sarcastic demeanor, have no qualms against harsh methods when dealing with villains, and can be downright rude at times. Though they're not without their noble qualities. I can see them being the protagonist of an action series.

With that said, they're not someone who's a colossal jerk like Eddy from Ed, Edd n Eddy or an outright villain like Invader Zim.

Do you want to see more anti-heroes in more general audience cartoons today?

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Generally, I prefer comedy (where there are no absolutes for the most part) shows to action shows, but I would say that while I do enjoy the occasional anti-hero, I don't want every protagonist in every show to be one. If every one is an an anti hero then no one is.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
And I don't mean in adult cartoons, they have plenty of them already, I mean in cartoons aimed at more general audiences.

In recent history, protagonists in animated series have been kind-hearted and compassionate individuals. Some even have a strict, self-imposed rule against killing. (Steven Universe, for example) While I do adore these characters, part of me also wants to see more flawed and morally ambiguous protagonists in TV animation.

My ideal cartoon anti-hero would have a cynical and sarcastic demeanor, have no qualms against harsh methods when dealing with villains, and can be downright rude at times. Though they're not without their noble qualities. I can see them being the protagonist of an action series.

With that said, they're not someone who's a colossal jerk like Eddy from Ed, Edd n Eddy or an outright villain like Invader Zim.

Do you want to see more anti-heroes in more general audience cartoons today?

I think if you watch X-Men 97, you will get to see some Anti-Heroes.

stephane dumas

I don't know if it could count but in the world of Franco-Belgian comics, Gaston Lagaffe aka Gomer Goof is classified as a anti-hero. An office junior at a publishing company who's also a lazy inventor.
gaston_lagaffe_franquin_1957.jpg

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
I think Shadow Weaver from the 2018 She-Ra might count.

But interestingly enough a rare case I think in Western Animation of one rejoining the side of Good, but not becoming a better person before the end. Even her sacrifice is herself still being detestable. Not a bad thing, but just noting how rare it is. Clearly just working with the Rebellion for practicality.

KaiserLemon

As for my ideal cartoon anti-hero, they would have a cynical and sarcastic demeanor, have no problems with taking lives, and can be downright rude at times. Despite this, they would be a good person deep down and cherish their friends.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?
TVLand, CMT, MTV2 (as well as Nickelodeon channels) will be simulcasting Kids Choice Award 2024 according to zap2it!

Featured Posts