Yo-Kai Watch-the Dead Horse of Disney XD?

SoundDestroyer

Setting new ways to follow
So here's an interesting research regarding Yo-Kai Watch,which is an example of dead anime franchise in America.
Yo-Kai Watch was an acquired anime by Disney XD that began to air on October 5,2015,a year and 8 months after series debuted in Japan.
The first 5 episodes of anime aired at 5 PM as a premiere week,from 5th to 9th of October respectively.
Then all new episodes aired every Monday at 5 PM (starting from episode 7,episode 6 aired on a 13th of October,which was strangely,Tuesday).
After episode 12,the show was gone for little hiatus,returning on December 28th (Episode 12 aired on November 30th).
Episodes 13-17 were burned off,as part of another premiere week,from 28th of December to New Year's Day 2016.
After episode 20 (Airing on January 25,2016) the show took another hiatus,returning on February 22nd.
From Leap Day of 2016 (29th of February) to March 4th,the network burned off the final episodes of Season 1,ending on March 4,2016.
Season 2 began to air on August 1st,2016. (Ironically,Japan started to air this season on July 11th,2014,only 6 months after finishing 1st season).
Season 2 episodes aired every day at 12:30 PM,starting from 1st to 12th of August (from 27th to 36th episode respectively).
After that,episode 37 aired on August 27th,and new episodes aired every Saturday... At 8:30 AM. Sounds like a deathslot,huh? (Starting from September 3rd,episodes 38-41).
42nd and 43rd episodes aired on one day,on October 8th (According to Yo-Kai Watch Fandom Wiki,not really sure). Then it continues the same trail,Saturdays at 8:30 AM (episodes 44-51).
Episodes 52-56 were burned off part of another week bomb,from 26th to 30th of December. Then it continues again,albeit on a different slot this time,Saturdays at 9:30 AM (Episodes 57-62).
Episode 63 aired on April Fools Day 2017,but then... Oh Boy...
They aired episodes out of order. SERIOUSLY,DISNEY? No,you gotta be kidding me.
Yep,they aired it,and that's true. Episode 64 aired on March 4th. Then the same thing continues with episodes 66-68,which aired on 11th,18th and on 25th.
But then everything went pretty much to normal,episode 65 and episodes 69-75 aired on usual 9:30 AM slot,starting from April 8th.
The final episode of season 2,episode 76 aired on June 3rd,2017,ending the second season.
In addition,Disney XD aired the only localized movie in America of Yo-Kai Watch,Yo-Kai Watch: The Movie,along with half-hour special: Whisper's Secret Past on November 12th,2016 at 8:30 AM (Special) and at 9 AM (Movie).
And finally,the 3rd season started to air on July 2nd,2018,starting Mondays at 5:30 PM.
But there was a problem,and it was BIG...
They aired not only episodes,but also SEGMENTS out of order. AGAIN! For example:From episode 79,the 1st and 2nd segments aired on July 16th,leaving the 3rd segment unaired. I'm not gonna list every changes,discover for yourself.
The 3rd season ended on December 15th,2018,making likely 3rd season-final in America.

So,where are we now?
America got not so many localized Yo-Kai Watch stuff.
This Includes: Not so many games (including 1st,2nd,3rd main games,Blasters and a short-lived version of localized version of mobile game Puni-Puni. Wibble-Wobble.)
Anime series (103 out of 214 episodes were localized for an American audience).
AND ONLY ONE out of 3 movies (from the original continuity).
That's it. That's everything i can count.
Now if you see how many stuff we still need localize from Japan,we have:
3 different anime series,with different continuities set.
Shadowside, which tells about Nate's future life, Yo-Kai Watch!,which is continuation of Original Series and Yo-Kai Academy Y,which is cross-concept of Yo-Kai Watch+My Hero Academia+Kamen Rider.
A TON of games (Yo-Kai Watch 4/4++, Blasters 2, Just Dance spin-off, Sangokushi and a chunk of mobile games).
AND A GAZILLION of movies (Enma, CGI/Live-Action Hybrid,two Shadowside movies and a Y-Academy movie).
But mostly,we have to still dub 111 episodes of the original continuity ! (111,lol wut).
As of now,we didn't heard anything about neither games, nor anime,and the status of the series in America are forgotten.
And Disney XD beating up this show to death,airing weekends at 8:30 AM.
And that won't be for that long,because as of August 22nd,the show will be yanked off the schedule again!
So,do you think Disney XD might losing rights to franchise,or the franchise will get more American localized content?

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
Yeah, I was into Yo-Kai Watch when it came out in the US, but it’s already past what would’ve been it’s peak around Yo-Kai Watch 2. I remember Bakugan being a lot more popular in the US than Yo-Kai Watch and the Bakugan video games weren’t that great from what I played. Besides in Japan where Yo-Kai was popular for a while even dethroning Pokémon at certain aspects, it’s already past it’s peak at this point probably when Pokémon GO stole back thunder from Yo-Kai Watch. I think we’ll still get the newer games eventually but they’ll likely never do a simultaneous worldwide release like Pokémon.

SoundDestroyer

Setting new ways to follow
Yeah, I was into Yo-Kai Watch when it came out in the US, but it’s already past what would’ve been it’s peak around Yo-Kai Watch 2. I remember Bakugan being a lot more popular in the US than Yo-Kai Watch and the Bakugan video games weren’t that great from what I played. Besides in Japan where Yo-Kai was popular for a while even dethroning Pokémon at certain aspects, it’s already past it’s peak at this point probably when Pokémon GO stole back thunder from Yo-Kai Watch. I think we’ll still get the newer games eventually but they’ll likely never do a simultaneous worldwide release like Pokémon.
For America, there was definitely a switcheroo- here Bakugan succeeded than in Japan,but for Yokai they failed here.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm

Featured Posts