Yu Gi Oh Arc V English Dub Premieres in Canada

aegisrawks

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-v-anime-premieres-in-canada-on-friday/.90819

4K Media's official Yu-Gi-Oh! website announced on Thursday that Canadian television channel Teletoonwill premiere Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V on Friday, July 24 at 7:00 a.m. EDT and Saturday, July 25 at 1:00 p.m. EDT. Teletoon's website currently lists Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexalin both time slots.

In addition, Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V will premiere on GO! Network in Australia this August or September. The US premiere time will be announced at a later date.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V, the most recent Yu-Gi-Oh! anime series inspired by Kazuki Takahashi's original manga, premiered in Japan in April 2014.

The story is set in Maiami City on the coast of Japan. Yūya is a second-year middle school student who loves to entertain people. Although he is small, he has been training his tough body and Action Duelist arms with weapons. His dream is to become an "Entertainment Duelist" who makes people smile. One day, Yūya ends up fighting an exhibition match with the current champion of Pro Duel world…

RDG

Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive
Yeah, I've just about given up on the US TV premiere already.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Yeah, I heard about this earlier today. The official website does say to stay tune for a U.S. premiere date, but the fact that the dub is airing in multiple countries before it does here does not provide much hope. It just screams that they're having a lot more difficulty in finding a channel to pick up the show in the U.S.. At this point, I'm just hoping for legal subs to come out more than anything else, especially when they've already started DM subs and GX subs will start next month, but they should do something with the dub at some point. Having it legally available on Hulu and/or Crunchyroll would be better than nothing.

PokemonTVDub

This seems to be something wrong with this article. ARC-V isn't scheduled to air 7AM EDT tomorrow, an episode of Goosebumps is shown to be in that timeslot on my television guide. Perhaps it is only airing Saturday?

Light Lucario

Staff member
Since this was clearly a last minute announcement, it's possible that the schedule hasn't been updated to include the dub's premiere in that timeslot.

4Kids4EverFandom

I agree! Its better for 4K Media to go the Digital media route and premiere New Yu-Gi-Oh ARC V Episodes on YouTube/Hulu/Crunchyroll. It may be best to announce it very soon. In fact I'm kinda convinced that "Premiere Time will be announced at Later Date" i bet that could mean that it is definitely premiering as online exclusive. Yu-Gi-Oh's Better off to premiere online ANY Yu-Gi-Oh series, let's face it tv just won't do it justice anymore since saturday mornings are dead.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I agree! Its better for 4K Media to go the Digital media route and premiere New Yu-Gi-Oh ARC V Episodes on YouTube/Hulu/Crunchyroll. It may be best to announce it very soon. In fact I'm kinda convinced that "Premiere Time will be announced at Later Date" i bet that could mean that it is definitely premiering as online exclusive. Yu-Gi-Oh's Better off to premiere online ANY Yu-Gi-Oh series, let's face it tv just won't do it justice anymore since saturday mornings are dead.

I don't see how saying that the premiere time will be announced at a later date means that it will be announced soon or that it will be an online exclusive premiere. I agree that it would be better in the long run, for the series to be online exclusive, but I think that you're jumping to conclusion based off little information and getting your hopes up.

I also don't think that Saturday Morning blocks being gone is the reason why TV won't do the franchise "justice" as you put it. I think it's more like they were stuck on Saturday morning blocks for far too long. Pokemon was taken off of Kids' WB's lineup in season nine and was moved to Cartoon Network starting with the Battle Frontier season. Even before that, they often aired Pokemon reruns on the channel. That made the transition easier and get more kids to know where the series went after leaving Kids' WB. Granted, Pokemon being a more popular brand and the video games selling like hot cakes were big factors too, but if something similar happened with Yu-Gi-Oh! starting with GX or 5D's, things could have been different. It could have had a stable timeslot on another channel that kids actually watched instead of premieres being stuck on Saturday morning blocks.

StorytellerMJ5

So, it could still possibly end up on a channel in the US, but who knows when or if that will happen. Cartoon Network would seem like a good choice to me, but they may not want the show. Online could be a decent place for them to put it, IMO.

Light Lucario

Staff member
To, those who were able to catch it how was it handled?

I don't live in Canada, but from what I've heard from those who do, it was the same first episode they played during one of the livestreams for a Yu-Gi-Oh! tournament. The only difference is that they included the last forty or thirty seconds of the episode that were cut from the livestream for some reason. There are some good voices, but quite a few bad ones and some really stupid dialogue. The main plot of the episode is basically the same from the Japanese version, but it's still a pretty bad dub. Based on the first two episodes, it's watchable at best, but insufferable at worst.

mumbo

Look skyward
I saw the premiere and it's what you'd expect out of a Yu-Gi-Oh! dub. Yuya's voice is better than Yuma's, but they called Strong Ishijima the Sledgehammer and he has a stupid Arnold Schwarzenegger voice. A few puns added here and there. Par for the course.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I saw the premiere and it's what you'd expect out of a Yu-Gi-Oh! dub. Yuya's voice is better than Yuma's, but they called Strong Ishijima the Sledgehammer and he has a stupid Arnold Schwarzenegger voice. A few puns added here and there. Par for the course.

That is sadly true and not at all surprising. If 4K Media was interested in improving from how 4Kids handled the dubs, they would have done that during Zexal instead of waiting for Arc-V. I still think that Yuzu's father has the worst dub voice thus far. That Arnold Schwarzenegger voice was stupid, annoying and made him much more ridiculous than intimidating, but his character is only around for this episode and the first five minute of the next one, so that made it a bit easier to deal with. Yuzu's father is one of the more prominent supporting characters in the first season and has to pull of some emotional moments, as well as comic relief moments, so giving him such a cartoonish voice that it would fit in perfectly in an abridged series was a terrible idea.

Yuzu's voice still amazes me though. It fits her character so nicely. If only her dub name didn't enrage me for being completely pointless and stupid. Yuya's voice is good. I was hoping he wouldn't sound so much like Clemont from Pokemon XY despite sharing the same voice actor, but it grew on me and I think he was having more fun with his role once the duel started. I really hate the dub catchphrase. I didn't mind it so much at first, but the more I think about it, the more it bugs me. It really doesn't fit Yuya's character to be focused on action. Even though he does Action Duels, his focus is really on having fun and making other people smile through his duels. His catchphrase in the original version emphasizes that, while the dub gives him a generic swing into action that while ties into the pendulum, really doesn't fit with his personality or goal. There were quite a few unnecessary dialogue changes and the dub just flat out making stuff up, such as the whole ARC system, but that's basically the dub in a nutshell.

Frontier

Staff member
Yuzu's father is one of the more prominent supporting characters in the first season and has to pull of some emotional moments, as well as comic relief moments, so giving him such a cartoonish voice that it would fit in perfectly in an abridged series was a terrible idea.
Too bad about that...reminds me of some of GX season 2 and the first half of season 3, where the scripts for the dub got looser and looser and Grandpa Muto was portrayed like Abridged Grandpa :p.

I really hate the dub catchphrase. I didn't mind it so much at first, but the more I think about it, the more it bugs me. It really doesn't fit Yuya's character to be focused on action. Even though he does Action Duels, his focus is really on having fun and making other people smile through his duels. His catchphrase in the original version emphasizes that, while the dub gives him a generic swing into action that while ties into the pendulum, really doesn't fit with his personality or goal.
That's a big downer. At least past Yu-Gi-Oh! dub catchphrases usually fit the character and the series, or at least felt somewhat appropriate, but it doesn't sound like Yuya's accomplishes even that :(.

There were quite a few unnecessary dialogue changes and the dub just flat out making stuff up, such as the whole ARC system, but that's basically the dub in a nutshell.
Well, that's never a positive sign :confused:.

Zeether

HASSHA!!
They should honestly just do what Bushiroad has with Vanguard and Buddyfight and make the dub uncut and only online, because if the TV broadcasts are getting messed up and not getting good ratings there's no point. I'm not sure how successful Vanguard has been but I don't see Yu-Gi-Oh getting an online only broadcast/stream hurting it.

It's ridiculous that in this day and age they still keep editing the dub. I bet they still do that "truncate the cards because we'll get sued for showing the real ones" thing too.

jaylop97

Staff member
I for one can't wait to hear the voices I just enjoy them, sure they do it over the top but its entertaining.

As far as the US handling Arc V I'm sure they are going to need a poor drum roll as I'm sure its not going to get a decent channel.

And then again I found it surprising that there was little to the subject of the show airing that quickly in Canada and elsewhere than the US I expected some announcement but I'm sure Konami did not want people to wait

Light Lucario

Staff member
Too bad about that...reminds me of some of GX season 2 and the first half of season 3, where the scripts for the dub got looser and looser and Grandpa Muto was portrayed like Abridged Grandpa :p.

Yeah, I remember those episodes of GX. At least the dialogue with Grandpa Muto was so stupid it was funny, which was one of 4Kids' strengths with some of their dialogue. This is just plain stupid, which is much less entertaining.

Frontier said:
That's a big downer. At least past Yu-Gi-Oh! dub catchphrases usually fit the character and the series, or at least felt somewhat appropriate, but it doesn't sound like Yuya's accomplishes even that :(.

Jaden's dub catchphrase worked fine and so did Yugi's, but I don't know about Yusei's. It fit with the concept of Riding Duels, but not so much with his character in retrospect. Yuma's catchphrases kind of worked, although changing them around was a bit odd. They kind of had to do that given that his original catchphrase didn't have a proper English equivalent. They really needed to incorporate fun or happiness somewhere into Yuya's catchphrase. Swing into action doesn't capture that as well as "The fun has just begun" in my opinion.

Frontier said:
Well, that's never a positive sign :confused:.

True, but it's not a new development with the dubs unfortunately. I don't think that they've changed anything significantly enough to create a dub plot hole in this series yet, but changing what the machine that projects the holograms so that they can add another reason why the series is called Arc-V pretty much captures how most of the changes in the dub are: unnecessary and stupid.

They should honestly just do what Bushiroad has with Vanguard and Buddyfight and make the dub uncut and only online, because if the TV broadcasts are getting messed up and not getting good ratings there's no point. I'm not sure how successful Vanguard has been but I don't see Yu-Gi-Oh getting an online only broadcast/stream hurting it.

They might make the series online only, although probably not uncut unfortunately, because of how long it's taken for the series to premiere in the U.S. The fact that the dub has premiered in other countries really gives the impression that they are having a hard time finding a channel to pick up the series. Plus, they have pretty slim pickings to choose from and putting the series on their website would give them more control than what they usually have in regards to when the episodes air. Not to mention they might have to do that eventually if what happened to the Zexal dub is any indication.

[quote="Zeether"}It's ridiculous that in this day and age they still keep editing the dub. I bet they still do that "truncate the cards because we'll get sued for showing the real ones" thing too.[/QUOTE]

They still edit the cards, but I find that to be a more reasonable edit. They legally aren't allowed to leave the card unedited or translate the Japanese text in the show, so they have to change them, although the Pendulum cards do look a bit odd in the dub. It is really unfortunate that the dub is what is is. 4K Media is so stuck in the 90s in regards to what would appeal to kids. I understand that some changes need to be made, but a lot of their changes are just unnecessary and provide a watered down version of the show instead of a good dub. It's a huge shame for me because I love Arc-V a lot and I don't think most of its strengths are going to shine through this dub, especially if they more changes down the line and make serious changes to the characters' personalities. If they cut back on the unnecessary changes and had some better voices/voice acting, then it might be more than just watchable at best.

To be fair, a part of me thinks that I'm being more harsh with the dub because of my love for the original series. A friend of mine saw the first two episodes during the livestream and enjoyed them, so without seeing the original version, the dub might be more decent for those going into the series blind. Even so, I also think that it does have the same problematic elements that make all of the other dubs in this franchise bad.

Last edited:

Zeether

HASSHA!!
That's my main beef with Yu-Gi-Oh now. After watching Vanguard dubbed it's hard to go back to that because of 4K being insistent on such ridiculousness.

RDG

Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive
I for one can't wait to hear the voices I just enjoy them, sure they do it over the top but its entertaining.

As far as the US handling Arc V I'm sure they are going to need a poor drum roll as I'm sure its not going to get a decent channel.

That's just it; it may not get a U.S. channel at all. Although from what I've read, it may be best if the show didn't air in the U.S.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
That's my main beef with Yu-Gi-Oh now. After watching Vanguard dubbed it's hard to go back to that because of 4K being insistent on such ridiculousness.

You could try watching the legal subs they have available if you want. They already have all of 5D's subbed on Crunchyroll, a few DM episodes subbed, some of Zexal and GX subs are going to start on August 1st. Arc-V legal subs should be on their way too, but they'll probably want to dub more episodes of the series before that happens, Still, it might be worth checking out the legal subs if you want to get back into the Yu-Gi-Oh!, especially when the subs are a better indication of the series' quality than the dubs usually are and in the cases of GX and 5D's, it's the only way to get the whole story due to how their dubs were incomplete.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.

Featured Posts