4Kids Obtains U.S. Broadcast Rights to DBZ Kai

Golfkid

4Kids did well with Dinosaur King and even, I guess, taught a Japanese word in it. (Not sure what episode that was in and I only heard about it)

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
You guys got a dub by Westwood Media (that was supposedly created due to fan demand and a dispute between YTV and FUNimation about receiving the episodes late), so unless it was redubbed up in Canada I'm not sure if fans would support the airing of the FUNimation dub.

Funimation and Corus (the company who owns YTV) have since fixed their relationship. Fullmetal Alchemist and Case Closed aired on the channel, as well as Funimation being a distributor for a few Corus shows. Heck, the two companies even co-produced a title in Padalian. While I'd love another Vancouver dub, I'm sure the audience up here can handle the Texans. The real problem lies in that YTV has basically become The Family/ Disney Channel targeting preteen girls, and their families. DB Kai wouldn't fit in that demographic. Although, there is Teletoon, which was actually DBZ's original home in Canada.

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
I think you guys might be getting your hopes up a little too much over the Toonzai, Toonami theory. Both of them are what happens when you take one of the handful of Japanese words people know and jam cartoon in it somewhere. Since Cartoon Sushi was already taken it was probably either that or Hara-Cartoon-Kiri

Sketch

not like those other old guys
Well no one should expect "Toonami" all they should expect is watered down DBZ. Though to some... that's what Toonami meant. :sweat:

bleachj0j

Demon Slayer in training
the thing is I hope it does well because even re-mastered kai still looks like a show from the 90's minus the opening and endings. Will kids watching be turned off by the old look of Kai?

Sketch

I'd certainly consider that a possibility but even as dated as DBZ is it's still packing a lot of stuff that kids have always enjoyed so maybe they'll overlook the age. I mean... MMPR came back though I'm not sure if that's quite a success story at this point. :sweat:

CW4kids has always had weak ratings and I think even their heaviest hitters have done pathetic in the grand scheme. DBZ Kai is not likely to do much better even if it's a "hit" for them but it might do well enough to stick around. That or merch will sell even better from the TV exposure for new viewers that FUNi and Toei may try to make it more worth 4kids while to keep it around.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
So, this is interesting (hat tip to Jacob on twitter). Sean Schemmel's facebook fan club seemingly confirms via the man himself that there will in fact be a second dub of DBZ Kai. Said dub would use Ocean Group talent, have different music, and possibly different content changes too.

Here are the relevant comments from the thread:

Subzero Ice I think some people bashing the Kai dub might be fans of the Ocean Group dub of DBZ, but, lots of people bashed the funi Z dub. The true definitive Kai dub will be by The Ocean Group.
Seán Schemmel
Here is why the Ocean group dub will suck. And it has nothing to do with the actors as I have enormous respect for all of them. As far as I know, the Ocean group dub is going to have this really ****** music (some of which I have heard) and a whole host of added sound effects such as "doinks" and "boinks" and even in one scene, where Bulma simply turns her head in a conversation you hear a "whoosh" sound ala a bad martial arts movie. We are giving you the purest DBZ experience possible, and if you don't like that, then you don't like DBZ.
Matt Cartelli Ocean Group is seriously doing their own dub of Kai?
Seán Schemmel yep. same time as ours. it's all about money people. even for Toei...
So, what does this mean besides the obvious? These seem like the possibilities:
[strike]
1. This dub is what will be on both Nicktoons and Toonzai, meaning that FUNimation's new acting, the show's original music, and perhaps Funi's new script will be exclusive to the home video release. [/strike]

2. This OG dub w/ its differences is being made for Toonzai specifically, which would certainly seem to fit 4Kids' familiar standards--based on what Mr. Schemmel has said about the music and sound effects, at least. A reason to believe this is so is that DBZ Kai is coming to 4Kids later in the year, so it's certainly plausible that this is move is a more recent gambit. I can easily believe that Funi's work started before Ocean Group's did.

3. The OG dub is meant for international airing, specifically Canada and Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:

firefoxprime

90s = Golden Years
So, this is interesting (hat tip to Jacob on twitter). Sean Schemmel's facebook fan club seemingly confirms via the man himself that there will in fact be a second dub of DBZ Kai. Said dub would use Ocean Group talent, have different music, and possibly different content changes too.

Here are the relevant comments from the thread:

So, what does this mean besides the obvious? These seem like the two possibilities:

1. This dub is what will be on both Nicktoons and Toonzai, meaning that FUNimation's new acting, the show's original music, and perhaps Funi's new script will be exclusive to the home video release.

2. This OG dub w/ its differences is being made for Toonzai specifically, which would certainly seem to fit 4Kids' familiar standards--based on what Mr. Schemmel has said about the music and sound effects, at least. A reason to believe this is so is that DBZ Kai is coming to 4Kids later in the year, so it's certainly plausible that this is move is a more recent gambit. I can easily believe that Funi's work started before Ocean Group's did.

wait...so let me get this straight.

funi made dbzkai dub. alright.
funi will then in a week or 2 air an edited version of their new "dbzkai" dub, on nicktoons? okay.

OG is creating a dub of their own for Dbzkai? alright...

so my question is which version is going to air on toonzai???

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
My best guess is OG dub for Toonzai, edited Funi dub for Nicktoons, uncut dub for home video (obviously) assuming this is really true. But I really am guessing. There are certainly questions about the dub and Kai's run on TV to ask FUNimation now.

Innagadadavida

Doenaught
No, the FUNimation dub is what will play on Nicktoons. Here's a clip. That is clearly Sonny Strait and Linda Young. I'm assuming the second dub will air in Canada and Europe where that version is better known.

firefoxprime

90s = Golden Years
Ummm... FUNi's version?

The article said 4Kids is going to air FUNi's dub. Besides, why bring a dub down from Canada if we're already getting one here in the US? It'd be pointless.

My best guess is OG dub for Toonzai, edited Funi dub for Nicktoons, uncut dub for home video (obviously) assuming this is really true. But I really am guessing. There are certainly questions about the dub and Kai's run on TV to ask FUNimation now.

alright...obviously from opposite sides here.

please...let it be funi.
you know what i recently found interesting?
dbz is so old know that we know the series like the back of our hands.
so we're so much more zoned/focused on what happens "around" the series,
than what actually goes on in it...hehe. really shows that there's not that much
depth to the characters at all. hehe...maybe vegeta. i believe he and gohan and
bulma are the only characters that have changed :p correct me if i'm wrong:sweat:

of course those days have already passed. those discussions were probably the hot topic exactly 10 yrs ago.

Sketch

On the plus side, Kai will get to air in Canada now on the downside... the dub will pretty much be the Saban version all over again. Though it's possible they wont edit the violence as much if it's for the UK and Canadian cable.

I don't think 4kids is going to show the Ocean Group version but that'd be an interesting scenario. Two dubs of Kai airing in the US? At least it would give viewers the choice though neither will be on par with FUNimation uncut release which will be the definative version of the dub.

Innagadadavida

Doenaught
I don't think 4kids is going to show the Ocean Group version but that'd be an interesting scenario. Two dubs of Kai airing in the US? At least it would give viewers the choice though neither will be on par with FUNimation uncut release which will be the definative version of the dub.
Oh, Jesus. That would make things even more confusing then they are already. They need to stick with one dub in any given country.

firefoxprime

90s = Golden Years
No, the FUNimation dub is what will play on Nicktoons. Here's a clip. That is clearly Sonny Strait and Linda Young. I'm assuming the second dub will air in Canada and Europe where that version is better known.

i think you kinda missed what i was asking. hmm...not sure.
its already been established the funi dub will air on nicktoons.
seeing as i've switched from time warner to dish (don't ask.),
i've lost both xd, and nicktoons but its cool. i was asking which dub is going to air on toonzai...

but what if 4kids is cheap? what if the ocean's dub is less expensive to broadcast than the funi dub?

ugh. my head hurts.:(

Edit: ah...i see what you mean now.

Exactly, I think this dub is only for abroad. When FUNimation took Dragon Ball Z in-house in 1999 there was a supposed international backlash from fans in other English-speaking nations who didn't like the "American accents" or some such. Meanwhile, YTV was getting their tapes of the edited dub pretty late from FUNimation. Somehow, a deal was made, and the video and scripts for the edited version were sent up to Westwood Media in Vancouver. Of course, Westwood brought back as many of the actors as they could (Scott McNeil and Terry Klassen then took on the roles of those who did not), but money was sparse. Sound effects and music were reused from the Ruby-Spears' Megaman cartoon and the Monster Rancher dub and dubbing began on episodes #123-291 (or by the television broadcast numbering, #108-276). A few edits were done to the dialogue (removing death references) and video, and according to actors the nobody knew who was funding the dub...or why the voice director seemed to change every other day (which explains why the performances are atrocious in that dub).

Long story short, that ordeal might have something to do with why the Ocean Group might be doing their own dub. I have to wonder, though, if the casting and directing will be any better. If they're having to recycle music and sound effects again...then we know it's being made on peanuts. I also must wonder if Kirby Morrow will voice Gokû and Jillian Michaels Gohan, as they did in the latter half of the Westwood dub of Dragon Ball Z.

cohenmarioman

4kids bought the broadcast rights from Funi, so that is the one which will air on toonzai. It and the one on NN will be the same edit, while the uncut will be on DVD later.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts