50 Greatest Cartoon Characters Analysis

Shiloh Otter

Anxiety in the house
I like your list alright, but that said it lacks Gumby, and Top Cat, for that matter.

Also, The Smurfs came from Belgium.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Ah so he did.

But Homer is Homer, and thus deserves a pole position on his own.

TV Guide did the same thing with their Top 50 Characters list. Homer was listed in one spot, and Bart & Lisa Simpson were listed in another number. If you ask me, that only leads to confusion. Homer is one of the Simpsons. why not just list them all collectively as The Simpsons? TV Guide also listed Boris Badenov and Natasha Fatale in a separate place than Rocky & Bullwinkle. I don't really see the point of having different characters from the same shows listed separately.

Sharklady

Pioneer claymation character Gumby should be on this list. Without him, there'd be no Wallace & Gromit (who are better, IMO, but too recent to qualify as Classic.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cartoons90

Not bad man. I would have put Mickey over Bugs, and put the Rugrats on there (they were pretty much the animated crown jewel of Nickelodeon before SpongeBob debuted in 99), but still well put together.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I wouldn't put Rugrats on my Top 50 at all. IMHO, Rugrats was a very overrated series. I personally never "got" that show, nor did I understand what was so great about it, I never found those babies all that funny. Plus I hated Angelica with a passion. All personal opinions aside, I think that Rugrats is too recent a show to be placed on the same list with Looney Tunes and The Flintstones.

TV Guide put the Powerpuff Girls on their Top 50, but a part of me is cynical enough to believe that the main (if not only) reason that they did was becasue the PPG movie was coming out that same month. If the Powerpuffs were going to be on the list, then Dexter from Dexter's Lab should have been on there as well. After all, Dexter's lab was the 1st Cartoon-Cartoon, not to mention the premiere World Premiere Toon. There would have been no Cartoon-Cartoons had Dexter's been a failure.

Charles Chimag

I also find this amusing!
Oh... the word cartoon and the presence of Garfield threw me off. Sorry. :sweat: They're still good, though.

kaseykockroach

I really don't want to offend anybody, but why is Mickey on there? He has no personality whatsoever. He's simply a 'mascot'. Not that his cartoons were'nt entertaining. But I just can't see the appeal of this character when there are other, funnier and more entertaining characters.
I apoligize if I offended anybody.:(

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
Because he was one of the first cartoon mega-stars, and is an internationally known and recognized character. Whether you like Mickey Mouse or not, he's too iconic to not be included.

Zen Man

I purposely left out Gumby because I wanted to focus on characters from the more traditional form of animation. Though I do recognize Gumby's importance as it relates to the claymation genre.

Zen Man

Wow, that's a list and a half. Though there are a few I'd disagree with: MightyMouse. well, I absolutely hated a show of beating cats, so sue me.:p And most B&W cartoons are way below what I like. (Mandy:"I don't do rubberhose") And so much of Hanna Barbara seems redundant. Felix the Cat and Betty Boob? They seem to be ad icons now for some reason, but I defy anyone to have seen a full episode. :sweat:
This is an unexpected surprise. I have seen him on specials about Mel Blanc(?) Though they were only meant to demonstrate military hygiene to a vast number of soldiers who were likely illiterate, they are funny and great to watch. :anime: I'd love to see the episodes about VD.:anime:

Fred Flinstone. I've always felt it was the epitome of child cartoon with a bit of adult humour. There are many, Johnny Quest, Archie's ScoobyDoo and Pink Panther, that I see as a very diverse base for animation that many copies are made from or imitated.

You do have a strong base of the beginnings of animation.

They have some Snafu shorts on YouTube. Pretty funny and pretty risque stuff at the same time. :D

Zen Man

Strangely enough, I had a dream a few weeks ago where all the characters I listed were honored in a primetime special. They were all dressed up and seated together according to their rankings and each character was given a special video package highlighting their careers that played to the audience.
Sorta like a hall of fame type deal.

Talk about freaky!!! :eek: Gotta cut down on the chocolate. lol

DrTooth

I have that issue. I even have it with the Bullwinkle/Homer Simpson cover (the best one IMO). I agreed with some of the list... but seeing Pikachu in it? If this list would have been compiled a year later, his spot would have gone to Yugioh. And Wonder Woman? No. She never had her own cartoon. They just wanted a female to add to the list, and there wasn't anyone more memorable. Plus, much as I like Bobby hill, he can't compete with a lot of characters left off the list.

Ghostbuster Man

"Batman's my Cousin"
Great list. I'm glad you set up a list that showcases all the great characters and franchises that revolutionized cartoon and comic art the way it was meant to be listed. Good work!

zoombie

Great list, but as expected I have a few disagreements, no one is going to agree 100% with anyone's list.

I agree with the top of list, if I can nip pick at little bit, I would not put Goofy ahead of Donald Duck. Donald Duck was the best classic Disney star in my opinion, he was better than Mickey, but you have to give Mickey points for being so well known world wide, he gets a pass, but besides, Mickey, Donald is the best, not saying Goofy is bad or anything.

I thought in the old theater short days, the Warner Brother shorts were better than Disney, but that is just my opinion.

An excellent list BTW.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zen Man

Great list, but as expected I have a few disagreements, no one is going to 100% with anyone's list.

I agree with the top of list, if I can nip pick at little bit, I would not put Goofy ahead of Donald Duck. Donald Duck was the best classic Disney star in my opinion, he was better than Mickey, but you have to give Mickey points for being so well know world wide, he gets a pass, but besides, Mickey, Donald is the best, not saying Goofy is bad or anything.

I thought in the old theater short days, the Warner Brother shorts were better than Disney, but that is just my opinion.

An excellent list BTW.

Yeah great point.

If I were to re-do the list, Donald would definately be elevated ahead of Goofy. Although they're both great, many people place Donald behind Mickey and ahead of Goofy in terms of popularity and seniority.

MegaMus

It's a pretty good list! Although I haven't heard about some cartoons. But nevertheless it's good. Bugs is over Mickey, huh? I completely agree with you! But why Buster and Babs Bunny aren't in the list? I won't mention those who I'm not familiar with but Babs alone is much better than for example Super Mario Bros. As for myself, I'd put these characters a lot higher than 49-th place. Why do you think they don't deserve it? Only because they weren't something like "the first and the only in some way"?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts