A Is for Alien: An ABC Book

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Disney has partnered with Penguin Random House to produce a lighthearted retelling of Alien as a children's alphabet book.

fffbf0247eaa44a30f073356d617f7eb.jpg

This isn't a joke. You can preorder it here:

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
You have got to be kidding me?

Capture1241.PNG

Did any executive at The Mouse House got drunk one day when watching Alien and think, "yeah, this is good for kids!" You can not make this crap up.

Alien is not suitable for kids whatsoever. That's like making a Disney Junior show based off of Predator, like why?! Why?!

Look, I never seen the Alien movies, but you don't have to watch Alien to know that this is the most ridiculous idea I've heard Disney can do.

If it was the Simpsons children's book, sure whatever, that's one thing. Kids loves The Simpsons. But freaking Alien?! A rated R MATURE movie gets a children's book?!

Wow.

Yeah, I'm sure 5 year olds sure love to read about a book about a alien creature pop out a person's guts. Totally not scarred for life at all! /s

And people wonder why people say that Disney should never bought Fox. Because of stuff like this.

Ace

Ace
I thought it was parody at first because Disney has been known for streamlining mature franchises for more general audiences.

but kids do like wierd creepy horror stuff. I mean there's always some indie horror thing that's popular with kids on YouTube so kids might get a laugh out of something like this.

Zorak Masaki

I've seen parodies of Alien on kids shows like Animaniacs and Regular Show, and there's probably other examples, the Xenomorph has essentially become a stock horror villain now anyway, heck, Alien was part of the late, lamented Great Movie Ride (and that was BEFORE Disney bought FOX).

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I saw this earlier and thought it was fake. Kind of funny.
Once upon a time there were Robo-Cop toys and a kids cartoon. (That cartoon is owned by... Disney)

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
Staff member
Wasn't there a children's book done about The Office too?

this is hilarious I hope as many franchises as possible attempt this

DeanBurrito25

Very child unfriendly movies like Robocop, Beetlejuice and Ace Ventura got animated series. It's not that unbelievable.

If this does not get a follow-up based on Aliens where "G" stands for "GAME OVER, MAN", I riot. :p/s

DeanBurrito25

Okay, you’re right. Apologies if I come across as overreacting.
That was more a general statement more than a target to anyone here, so no worries.
It's [kiddifying adult movies or shows] practically a genre in itself!

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
It's not REALLY for children. It's a gag gift for parents. That's who it's targeted at.

Very child unfriendly movies like Robocop, Beetlejuice and Ace Ventura got animated series. It's not that unbelievable.
I dispute the idea that Beetlejuice and Ace Ventura weren't child friendly. As for Robocop, it's a different situation than this because THAT cartoon was actually aimed at kids. I think that makes it FAR more objectionable than a preschool Alien book aimed at new parents with a wry sense of humor.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I know you said this wasn’t a joke, but I still can’t believe it.
Wasn't there a children's book done about The Office too?

You’re right, but at least The Office is more appropriate.

Zorak Masaki

It's not REALLY for children. It's a gag gift for parents. That's who it's targeted at.

I dispute the idea that Beetlejuice and Ace Venture weren't child friendly. As for Robocop, it's a different situation than this because THAT cartoon was actually aimed at kids. I think that makes it FAR more objectionable than a preschool Alien book aimed at new parents with a wry sense of humor.
Ace Ventura was far from family friendly. It's got tons of profanity and sexual humor, and the reveal of the main villain is, lets just say, far from PC. The second film is only slightly more toned down. As for the book, it may be a gag gift, but why release it under the Little Golden Book branding if that was the case?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Ace Ventura was far from family friendly. It's got tons of profanity and sexual humor, and the reveal of the main villain is, lets just say, far from PC.

Back in my day, kids watched far worse. Ace Ventura was mild compared to a PG movie from the 1980's. The Goonies was appalling on every level.
As for the book, it may be a gag gift, but why release it under the Little Golden Book branding if that was the case?
That's part of the gag. It's WHY it's funny.

And they'll sell copies. Ultimately, that's what Little Golden Books are designed to do. Who will really object to a book of theirs for adults and collectors as long as it is still preschool friendly in line with everything else?

You guys are overthinking this.

Pooky

Staff member
Ace Ventura was far from family friendly. It's got tons of profanity and sexual humor, and the reveal of the main villain is, lets just say, far from PC. The second film is only slightly more toned down.

"Kids" is a broad term. There's nothing in that film that kids in the 90s weren't joking about themselves by the age of 10, probably younger. Yes, it's very "problematic" now, honestly even when I revisited it in the mid-00s I was kind of shocked, and yes a lot of critics called it out for that even then, but much of society wasn't very PC on those issues in the 90s either, even though we thought we were. Point is it was very popular with kids, even here in the UK where it was officially rated "12+"; popular enough indeed that they went to the trouble of cutting around a minute and a half out of the sequel to secure a more kid friendly "PG" rating. As strange as it may seem to us now, there's a reason they made an Ace Ventura cartoon then.

Anyway, this just looks like "ha ha Adult thing but toned down for kids" which is the flipside of "ha ha kids thing but with explicit content for adults". I don't find either very clever, fresh or funny in 2023. I guess it's the slightly less hackneyed of the two.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.

Featured Posts