Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
In space, no one can hear you.

alienromulus.jpg

Release Date: August 16. 2024
Studio: 20th Century Studios,
Director: Fede Alvarez
Starring: Cailee Spaeny, David Jonsson, Isabela Merced, Archie Renaux, Aileen Wu, Spike Fearn
Runtime: 1 hour, 59 Minutes
Rating: Rated R for for bloody violent content and language

Plot Summary: While scavenging the deep ends of a derelict space station, a group of young space colonizers come face to face with the most terrifying life form in the universe.

Related Threads:
-Alien/Prometheus/Predator/Prey News and Discussion Thread
-Alien Talkback
-Aliens Talkback
-Alien^3 Talkback
-Alien Resurrection Talkback
-Alien Vs. Predator (2004)
-AVP: Requiem (2004)
-Prometheus Talkback
-Alien: Covenant Talkback

Related Links:
-Official Website

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Has anyone actually watched this yet?

I'm not in a position to go see this in theaters presently, but I've went ahead and read enough plot descriptions and spoilers online, to basically know the entire plot (and "scene by scene" breakdown) by now.

Spoilers ahead:

Story sounds like too much of a rehash of prior Alien films. And we've already had "giving birth to monster hybrids" in "Alien Resurrection" and in "Prometheus". Also don't like the "Black goo" from Prometheus getting into my Aliens films. I was hoping this was a clear signal that "the prior 2 Ridley Scott films never happened", but nope, they're all still connected (and too convoluted).

I didn't mind they recreated actor Ian Holm's android character (it sounds like they got permission from the family of the actor, this is a non-controversy, to me).

I also find it strange they found the alien from the original film....in a cocoon? How did it get into a cocoon?

These are just some random thoughts from me.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I also find it strange they found the alien from the original film....in a cocoon? How did it get into a cocoon?
I haven't seen the movie but I did see that shot in a trailer. My initial theory is after the Xenomorph from Alien was ejected into space, it slowed down its metabolism out of survival instinct then cocooned itself. We've seen vicitims being cocooned, could be the same material. Then Weyland-Yutani found it and extracted DNA samples then as in all Alien movies, it goes downhill from there.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I haven't seen the movie but I did see that shot in a trailer. My initial theory is after the Xenomorph from Alien was ejected into space, it slowed down its metabolism out of survival instinct then cocooned itself. We've seen vicitims being cocooned, could be the same material. Then Weyland-Yutani found it and extracted DNA samples then as in all Alien movies, it goes downhill from there.

That's probably the best explanation.

Pooky

Staff member
I saw it last night; it's OK. I heard about the most controversial elements of the film before seeing it so they didn't bother me too much, not sure how I would have felt if I had gone in cold. Some people have called it The Force Awakens of the Alien films and I'd say that's about right, although here they do not shy away from homaging and drawing influence from some of the less popular and beloved films. The performances are generally good and the characterisation isn't bad, and there is a certain amount of freshness early on, but by the end, while there are still some novel elements it does start to directly pastiche scenes from earlier films, which I personally never find to be necessary or particularly entertaining. Some of the action is good and there is some solid suspense, but I continue to think that modern films do not do a great job of lighting characters in the dark. On the whole, while it was downright asinine at times, I probably preferred the flawed ambition of Covenant, but I think this will play much better for most people.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts