"Batman: Caped Crusader (Amazon Prime)" Animated Series News & Discussion Part 3 (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
There already was a Lady Clay in the comics if needed. Even DC Super Hero Girls had a Mrs. Clayface at some point.

I think Penguin made more sense as it stands out from the usual femme fatale like villains Batman usually has.

Revelator

Loathsome spotted reptile
I am shocked, shocked!, that in this discussion of female Batman villains no one has brought up Queen Bee, aka Marcia Monroe. She brought out Batman's inner swinger--

bat-spanking-6.jpg (1).jpg

--And other parts of him too:

bat-spanking-7.jpg (1).jpg

-batmat-

Yeah, that lack of good villains quote isn't getting the best reception. I'm assuming this refers to good female villains? At first, I thought that can't be true either! There's Catwoman, Talia, Harley, Ivy, Shiva... and then I realized you have to start digging, Roxy Rocket, Baby Doll, uhh... Magpie? I couldn't make it to ten without really dusting off the DC Encyclopedia.
I will not tolerate this Red Claw disrespect! ;) (just kidding...!)
Is there any particular reason Penguin was chosen over anyone else to make into a woman? Like a female Two Face/Harvey, or a female Scarecrow, or female Clayface, etc?

I even think a woman version of Riddler would have been a cool take as well.
As far as the info we've been given, it's not like they were thinking what villain could they genderswap into a woman, but rather, what could they do with Penguin that was interesting and fresh and the genderswaped version came to be.

--

I wish they would have released this an episode per week. It's been almost 2 weeks since the show was released and I feel the momentum of it fading away. It was great to have all episodes at once but it was also a bit overwhelming, and having an episode or two per week would have meant the momentum of the show to be longer. I did love that bing watch on release day though!

Frontier

Staff member
Don't forget about all the original 60's Villainesses like The Siren, Zelda the Great, Marsha Queen of Diamonds, Ma Parker and Olga of the Cossacks :).
I wish they would have released this an episode per week. It's been almost 2 weeks since the show was released and I feel the momentum of it fading away. It was great to have all episodes at once but it was also a bit overwhelming, and having an episode or two per week would have meant the momentum of the show to be longer. I did love that bing watch on release day though!
Now we're just waiting for the slow crumb of season 2 news :p.

I'm kind of curious though how the show is doing streaming-wise...

b.t.

Personally, I think the casting and subsequent vocal performance of the great Paul Williams was the best thing about the BTAS Penguin. But otherwise, I think he kinda came off like a watered-down version of Tim Burton’s super-grotesque Penguin (which I wasn’t a big fan of in the first place). To me, he just wasn’t in the same league as the BTAS versions of Two-Face, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Clayface and Joker.

I did like him better in TNBA — I think he was generally written better in that series and we finally got to make him look like his glorious Golden Age self.

Frontier:
I haven’t checked in awhile but CAPED CRUSADER was the #1 most-watched show on Prime for most of last week, and at some point I think it was ranked #20 in all of Streaming. Which was pretty freaking exciting, I have to say! :)

(oops, sorry Mods, I forgot to add this comment to my previous post. I’ll try to not let it happen again…)

Last edited by a moderator:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Don't forget about all the original 60's Villainesses like The Siren, Zelda the Great, Marsha Queen of Diamonds, Ma Parker and Olga of the Cossacks :).
Batman '66 characters get kinda tricky to use like they never used "King Tut" out loud this season and gave him the Fletcher Demming name. I'm trying to think to Brave and the Bold if they were named in episodes or were unnamed cameos. Hmm. I don't think so but it's been awhile.

But yes on one hand, there is a great Batman rogues gallery and they could use Magpie, Talia, maybe even a take on the lady Ventriloquist etc. but on the other, the great use of Onomatopoeia got me wondering if others could work in BCC's setting, too e.g. like Killer Frost or Plastique as other out of town assassins coming to Gotham.

Millicay

I did like him better in TNBA — I think he was generally written better in that series and we finally got to make him look like his glorious Golden Age self.
YES. The "legitimate" businessman owner of the Iceberg Lounge is my favorite interpretation of the character, and it's worked so well that not only has that remained unchanged in the comics, but also we're getting a Penguin TV series based on that version in just a few days.

I still like him in BTAS, but I admit "Birds of a Feather" is doing a lot of the heavy lifting. If we're being fair and compare only their debut episodes in BTAS and BCC, "In Treacherous Waters" definitely takes the cake.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Not to get too much off-topic but I presume it's easier to use the '66 show villains when there's an animated project set in that continuity? Like the Batman vs. Two-Face movie, where King Tut played a fairly large role (and had a pretty hilarious scene with Chief O'Hara).

Back on the topic of female Batman rogues, how about Orca? I don't exactly expect her to show up here but it would be interesting, in a mad scientist kind of plot.

CyberCubed

The weird thing about online streaming "viewership" compared to "TV ratings" is that not everyone watches streaming eps as soon as they come out. Some people don't watch shows until they're months old or don't even realize they exist till later. How do they calculate that over the old fashion TV ratings when people had to sit down in front of their TV at a set time to watch an episode when it was "new" or you had to wait until reruns?

I never understood how they calculate whether a show is successful or not. Online streaming also has less advertisements/commercials than shows that aired on TV.

Frontier

Staff member
Personally, I think the casting and subsequent vocal performance of the great Paul Williams was the best thing about the BTAS Penguin. But otherwise, I think he kinda came off like a watered-down version of Tim Burton’s super-grotesque Penguin (which I wasn’t a big fan of in the first place). To me, he just wasn’t in the same league as the BTAS versions of Two-Face, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Clayface and Joker.

Paul Williams is still my de-facto voice for Penguin :).
Frontier:
I haven’t checked in awhile but CAPED CRUSADER was the #1 most-watched show on Prime for most of last week, and at some point I think it was ranked #20 in all of Streaming. Which was pretty freaking exciting, I have to say! :)

(oops, sorry Mods, I forgot to add this comment to my previous post. I’ll try to not let it happen again…)
That's great to hear :D!
But yes on one hand, there is a great Batman rogues gallery and they could use Magpie, Talia, maybe even a take on the lady Ventriloquist etc. but on the other, the great use of Onomatopoeia got me wondering if others could work in BCC's setting, too e.g. like Killer Frost or Plastique as other out of town assassins coming to Gotham.
We got Gentleman Ghost and Onomatopoeia, probably likely we'll get at least 1-2 non-Batman villains next season ;).

Karkull

Eldritch Lord of Chaos
Staff member
I just wrote a piece in defense of of both the new Penguin and Bruce Timm's comments for Aglets Are Sinister. As it turns out, this isn't the first time that the character has gone through a major change. Imagine!

UPDATE 8/18: Based on some of the concept art from Mark Waid's upcoming Justice League Unlimited title, it appears that Catwoman, Poison Ivy, and Harley Quinn will be on the team. We really owe Bruce Timm an apology.

Last edited:

Otaku-sempai

I wonder whether, over the course of this series, we will see Bruce come to the realization that as Batman he can only fight the symptoms of Gotham's sickness. In order to address the causes, he also needs to act as Bruce Wayne. That doesn't necessarily mean that we need to see the establishment of the Wayne Foundation, but it does mean that we could see Bruce transform into more of the philanthropist that he became in the comics.

Maybe Bruce needs to meet a social worker at some benefit or other function who puts him in touch with the realities of the root causes of crime. It would certainly feed into the more grounded elements of the show. That was one of my favorite aspects of the Andrew Vachss novel Batman: The Ultimate Evil, a book with a very noir vibe.

Frontier

Staff member
UPDATE 8/18: Based on some of the concept art from Mark Waid's upcoming Justice League Unlimited title, it appears that Catwoman, Poison Ivy, and Harley Quinn will be on the team. We really owe Bruce Timm an apology.
Honestly this just makes me think that not every marketable female villain needs to get grouped in with the heroes :rolleyes:.
I wonder whether, over the course of this series, we will see Bruce come to the realization that as Batman he can only fight the symptoms of Gotham's sickness. In order to address the causes, he also needs to act as Bruce Wayne. That doesn't necessarily mean that we need to see the establishment of the Wayne Foundation, but it does mean that we could see Bruce transform into more of the philanthropist that he became in the comics.

Maybe Bruce needs to meet a social worker at some benefit or other function who puts him in touch with the realities of the root causes of crime. It would certainly feed into the more grounded elements of the show. That was one of my favorite aspects of the Andrew Vachss novel Batman: The Ultimate Evil, a book with a very noir vibe.
I definitely think in season 2 we're going to see Bruce feel out what he wants "Bruce Wayne" to be and how he expresses himself in that identity.

Maybe he'll catch the eye of Silver St. Cloud if he becomes more a philanthropist :rolleyes2:?

Otaku-sempai

Honestly this just makes me think that not every marketable female villain needs to get grouped in with the heroes :rolleyes:.

I definitely think in season 2 we're going to see Bruce feel out what he wants "Bruce Wayne" to be and how he expresses himself in that identity.

Maybe he'll catch the eye of Silver St. Cloud if he becomes more a philanthropist :rolleyes2:?
Maybe the show should just stick with Julie Madison for now (along with Selina and any other femme fatale types; I wouldn't object to Talia al Ghul).

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Artist Simon Delart did posters for each episode, they're pretty good! You can see them in his instagram account, they're the most recent posts.

These are absolutely spectacular! Makes me wish the actual episodes had legit title cards :D!

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts