Beavis And Butt-Head Relaunch on Paramount+ Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Need an actual talkback for this here. Here we go.

Mike Judge's Beavis And Butt-Head "Escape Room / The Special One"

Escape Room:

It was my opinion that the 2011 relaunch was the finest season of that show Mike Judge ever did, and this was similarly terrific. It had a classic Beavis And Butt-Head-style premise (they confuse the bathroom for the escape room) and resolution (they pee and poop in the escape room) and yet it's a modern NEW topic. Very well done.

I also noted the interstitials where they watch TV / online videos seem much shorter than they used to be. That makes sense because they were actually a cost cutting measure to save money on new animation back in the day and that's no longer necessary. The thing is, the music videos themselves back in the day were funny in their own right, and gave Judge a chance to riff and improvise comedy, so they obviously still need to be present, if not as prevalent. ****.

The Special One:

I love the questions this raised about Beavis' psychopathy. We'll discuss that in a moment, but what I loved about the cartoon is that the premise was subversive and unexpected, and the resolution made perfect sense to something that outright weird. It plays as if Beavis And Butt-Head is an animated fable, and always has been. Many long jokes are structured this way too.

As for Beavis' mindset, if he is crazy and imagining the Fire speaking, the smart things the Fire says suggests Beavis has a core of intelligence he doesn't normally have access to. That might explain why he is so enraptured with Fire and willing to do what it says until he realizes all it wants is for him to better himself. Alternately, it's possible Beavis is NOT actually crazy, and the Fire as seen IS sentient and alive, and speaks to him and only him. I'm going to choose to believe the second interpretation. Because the idea that Beavis is a struggling, untapped genius makes me too sad. I'd rather believe the world itself was insane.

For the record, I did not dig Judge's riff during the music video. Because the music video was SO unambiguously awful. It's been AGES since I've seen the original show, and I can't imagine that all they riffed during were bad music videos. This one was so bad, I felt it was low-hanging comedy fruit. I would be similarly unhappy to see those two commenting on an old Mentos commercial. Everybody already knows they are dumb. There is nothing funny Beavis or Butt-Head could say about them. I felt that very strongly about this awful country video.

The story itself was fantastic, but the intermission was surprisingly weak, which is troubling as it's part of the first episode back. ****.

Episode Overall: ****.

Mike Judge's Beavis And Butt-Head "Boxed In / Beekeepers"

Boxed In:

Van Driessen means the new episodes don't follow the continuity of Beavis And Butt-Head Do The Universe, in which the boys were transported for 1998 to the year 2022. I think that's probably for the best (they don't have to create an entirely new high school and neighborhood cast, and Judge can keep voicing those characters) although that movie remains my single favorite Beavis and Butt-Head project of all time. So it's a continuation of the previous two series operating in Peanuts Time, instead of the soft reboot operating in real time the movie was. It's more consistent because the 2011 season operated on Peanuts Time too.

Van Driessen confiscating the drill as Beavis was lowering it towards his eyes was probably the first responsible thing he's ever done when teaching those idiots.

Where do they find these online videos? I loved Butt-Head saying he was going to talk like this from now on.

I like Beavis, but the fact that he can't stop himself from spanking his monkey in front of other people if the urge arises says he's a problematic character at best. The whole intermission made me laugh though. I ain't going to deny that. I'm not proud.

Beavis is interesting because he quickly pivots to suggesting it might be fine to live in the box. I actually understand the mindset of weighing the pros and cons of giving up early on, especially if the task ahead seems so impossibly hard. Judge wants us to find Beavis stupid for the suggestion (along with his wishful thinking that there will eventually somehow be chicks in the box). I find his hopefulness in a hopeless situation relatable instead. ****.

Beekeepers:

It never fails to amuse me when Beavis likes a music video Butt-Head hates. The funniest time ever was when Beavis stood by his opinion so fiercely he scared Butt-Head into backing off, but I like seeing Beavis seeming to understand him digging this boy band is pretty much indefensible. And when Butt-Head sees him twerking the couch I don't recall ever seeing and hearing Butt-Head so genuinely upset. Butt-Head is a sociopath who doesn't really care about anything. It's interesting that that was the thing that majorly offended him. Butt-Head's demeanor is always snide and amused in a mean-spirited way. For the first time ever he drops that smirky facade because he's genuinely mad. Beavis spanks him monkey in front of him, he gets a slap across the chops. He does THIS, he must leave his own house never to return. I actually almost get it.

I actually missed the shampoo bottle during the scene in the bathroom, so it being shampoo WAS a surprise. What's hilarious is Beavis and Butt-Head being angry at the "bees" for making shampoo instead of honey.

We're supposed to laugh as Beavis' violent misfortune with the bees, but I felt sympathetic towards him when he says doesn't want to open the box because it hurt. He doesn't have the verbal skills to explain why he knows it's a bad idea, and Butt-Head talks him into it anyways, but one of things that I relate to Beavis with is the fact that he doesn't have the ability to properly express what he's feeling, and he clearly wishes he did. And even if he did Butt-Head would torment him about it. But it wouldn't matter, because that would mean he could hang out with better people than Butt-Head. There is something tragic to me about the fact that on some level Beavis knows he's broken and can't do anything about it.

Mike Judge deliberately made sure that we remembered that his voice for Anderson may have been the prototype for Hank Hill, but it's still slightly different. Not only is Anderson's voice slightly deeper, he talks MUCH slower and more deliberately than Hank. He's what Hank will probably sound like at age 80. But it's still a slightly different voice.

I felt bad for Beavis by the end of this. ***.

Episode Overall: ***1/2.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Mike Judge's Beavis And Butt-Head "Roof / River"

Roof:

A couple of very dark episodes with unresolved endings. I liked the second more than the first.

I'll tell you the interesting thing about the first, that differentiates this version from the original MTV run. Anderson doesn't end up humiliated and outraged over Beavis and Butt-Head ruining the job he had for them. He isn't punished simply because he's dumb enough to trust them. But the boys destroying the hearing aids instead makes their misfortune seem just.

Butt-Head is really tough to take in this episode. The one thing I liked that made me laugh is when Butt-Head told amnesiac Beavis his name and called him Ass-Face. It was a remarkably smart joke when Beavis asked him which one of those was his name, and which one of those was the thing he was calling him.

If the status quo going forward is that the boys are punished for their stupidity instead of the people trusting them being punished for that, we are in good shape. ***.

River:

Another similar, dark premise but it had a perfect joke. Beavis and Butt-Head were at the dump looking for a floatation device. And lo and behold, there are a pair of inner tubes right there like a gift from God, and Butt-Head crows about their good fortune. The next scene is them riding a shopping cart and pushing it into the lake. I happen to think smart characters are funnier than dumb characters. But the comedy on Beavis and Butt-Head must be SO damn hard to write because what these idiots can actually grasp and understand is practically nonexistent, and you can't really do too many clever ideas with them. But that was using the boys' total dumbness to good effect right there.

The rest of the cartoon was only so-so, and the interstitial wasn't that funny. The interstitial in the first short wasn't that funny either, so that's another thing these two cartoons have in common. ***1/2.

Episode Overall: ***.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Beavis And Butt-Head "The New Enemy / The Doppelganger"

The New Enemy:

The raccoon story was pretty dumb, although it's significant to me that Tom Anderson won the story AGAIN in his second real conflict with the boys, which says the mindset of the show has changed since it came back. Which is good.

The intermission was the more interesting part to me. It's always amusing to me that Beavis is torn between making fun of his loose mother when Butt-Head starts in on her, or telling him to knock it off because he just won't shut up about it. Frankly, I find Butt-Head obnoxious. ***1/2.

The Doppelganger:

The episode answers the question of "Is there possibly a worse hang than Butt-Head?" I'm going to say Keith qualifies. Honestly, it's sort of nice to have some normalcy enter the show, but the truth is as sane as the guy seems, he's also super clingy. I see why Beavis was annoyed, even if he dug the fist bump at the end.

I feel bad that Beavis has nobody to fist-bump. Maybe Butt-Head is the worse hang after all. ****.

Zorak Masaki

I wonder if they'll ever watch any metal videos again. While it may not be that popular in the mainstream (heck, a lot of the videos on the original show were obscure), metal bands do still make videos. Heck, considering how many metal bands loved the show, they'd probably be glad to contribute videos, even if B&B give them the "this sucks" treatment.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Mike Judge's Beavis And Butt-Head "Nice Butt-Head / Home Aide"

Nice Butt-Head:

Pair of great cartoons this week.

The first one proves that even after nearly 30 years, the show hasn't run out of ideas yet.

I didn't find much of Beavis' reactions too credible, which might be a bit of a failing on my end. Beavis preferring the cruel Butt-Head is I think not because Beavis is cruel himself, but because he's self-loathing and knows nothing else. Beavis fears and is very resistant to change, even when it's good. He has a definite inferiority complex about it.

As for Butt-Head, it is very illuminating to me that his psychopathy apparently is just down to a chemical imbalance in his brain. It makes me hate him slightly less.

The interstitial with the pig was great. You know what? Beavis DOES sound like that. *****.

Home Aide:

I opined elsewhere the 2011 relaunch was the finest thing the franchise ever did (at least until Beavis And Butt-Head Do The Universe). But this cartoon shows Mike Judge is playing for keeps. He knows there are plenty of fans of the show who are nerds, and are disappointed the Universe movie wasn't followed up on. Here, he uses multiple Universes to suggest that Universe still occurred, as did this one, and so does the Universe of 2011 and this show, where events occur in "Peanuts' Time", the years pass, and the characters don't age. Ever have a continuity beef with this show? This cartoon has you covered.

If this is Butt-Head's actual future from our version, I almost think it serves him right for what a loathsome ass he is. Beavis, per usual, has a bare minimum amount of people skills and self-worth. I wouldn't object to this future for him. But yeah, if this is where Butt-Head actually ends up, I'll be happy. He deserves it. *****.

Episode Overall: *****.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Mike Judge's Beavis And Butt-Head "Virtual Stupidity / Locked Out"

Virtual Stupidity:

This specific level of stupidity beggars belief a bit. I'm sorry. I'm having a hard time accepting it.

The videos were cool. I love Beavis saying that was dark and Butt-Head apologizing. The beat your meat song is funny too.

It also makes sense that Beavis hates firemen. I loved him saying you wouldn't believe what comes out of firehoses. And he concedes the fire department DID save his life four times so they can't be ALL bad.

But the framing story was too dumb, even for me. ***1/2.

Locked Out:

Butt-Head declaring that Pixar sucks has gone down as the most rewarding part of the relaunch for me so far.

Buford and Bernando. How dumb is Tom Anderson? Really, he's not any smarter than the boys.

I love that Beavis was scared of the movie Ghost. Totally in character for him.

Funny stuff. ****.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Mike Judge's Beavis And Butt-Head "Kidney / The Good Deed"

Kidney:

Stewart! That takes me back. He's somehow even more pathetic years later. ****.

The Good Deed:

After Cosby I don't find the idea of Spanish Fly funny. But the episode didn't really use it, and the boys didn't seem to understand it, so it's a bit forgivable.

I like how Beavis seems to be better at singing (in their minds) and that pisses Butt-Head off.

It was all right. ***.

Episode Overall: ***1/2.

Dragnatek

So Smart Beavis and Butt-Head are the Watcher now, complete with them watching events from the moon. Well both Adult B&B episodes were great so I'm fine with that.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Nice surprise that Smart Beavis and Butt-Head and Middle Aged Beavis and Butt-Head are recurring on the show as AU.

For a second I thought they were gonna imply Keith was Butt-Head's dad. But he was just simply the worst in a different way, lol.

And they died at the end of Good Deed.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Mike Judge's Beavis And Butt-Head "Two Stupid Men / Freaky Friday"

Two Stupid Men:

I couldn't believe that music video. How was that ever allowed on television? Yeah, MTV is cable. Still.

The framing story was a bit obnoxious. It's less funny to see them screw with other people when they are adults. Judge should reserve the adult episodes only for them screwing around with each other.

Also I realize it's a cartoon, and a dumb cartoon at that, but in reality Beavis and Butt-Head would NOT be called for jury duty at the same time, much less serve on the same jury as each other. I know Family Guy pulled the same trick but I'm calling b.s. here.

Still it was pretty good altogether. ***1/2.

Freaky Friday:

The glass being confused for a mirror was on-brand for those losers.

I really, REALLY liked the ending. And there are few cartoons of this show that I like the endings of. Beavis asks Butt-Head if he's Beavis or Butt-Head. And Butt-Head says something uncharacteristically wise: It doesn't matter. Beavis asks him if they've learned a lesson, and Butt-Head says he hopes not. That is a brilliant ending on a show where brilliant endings are rare because the main characters cannot deliver them. Well, the relaunch just did anyways. *****.

Episode Overall: ****1/2.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Mike Judge's Beavis And Butt-Head "Weird Girl / Time Travelers"

Weird Girl:

I figured it out. Beavis is Charlie Brown, Glennis is Peppermint Patty and Fire is the Little Read-Haired Girl.

The ending is depressing on some level, but Glennis is still out there, and she still loves Beavis, even if he's too dumb to understand it.

The series is meeting the cultural moment because the instant Beavis does his Great Cornholio bit at the beginning, he's tackled by school security. Things have changed.

"Another fine offering from the good people at MTV." Or maybe they have not.

Van Dreissen has always bugged me, but he's a total leering creep with his Romeo and Juliet fixation here. Creepy story period by the way. Weird thing for a grown man to fetishize.

Poor Glennis. ****1/2.

Time Travelers:

That music video bit was golden. I love Butt-Head saying Beavis was in rare form. And the kid in the video is so young Butt-Head laughs and says he's a victim. They're listening to Mozart to help his development. That joke had me rolling, but it was also a huge cheat. WAY too smart to be said by Butt-Head. But the boys often gain a startling level of insight for the music videos never present in their adventures. And finally Beavis says Butt-Head's comments are mean, and Butt-Head said another unusually insightful thing, and reasoned that the kid gets to score when he's 11. He'll be fine. I love that.

The shark video was great too. "Oral reef" IS clever, but it's not too clever that I can't picture Butt-Head not being able to come up with it.

The framing story was a bit ridiculous. I laughed when Butt-Head told Beavis to stop wrecking his game. Oh, Butt-Head. Beavis is the least of your problems there, pal.

And Van Dreissen proves at the end another reason why he is utterly useless. Are we supposed to believe Beavis And Butt-Head are the resident idiots on this show? Because they don't look so dumb standing next to their teacher. Just saying.

Funny. ****.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Mike Judge's Beavis And Butt-Head "Spiritual Journey"

I thought that was pretty great. I absolutely love that the Rabbi loves Iron Man. He pauses for a second and then talks Beavis' ear off. That's great and not a joke you'd see on the original series. I don't think Mike Judge was much of a pop culture aficionado when he was actually writing it.

The bit with Beavis falling in love with the skinny hot girl eating ten Big Macs on camera was hilarious too. I think that girl is gross and that they have the weirdest stuff on the internet.

Beavis being an expert in lizards is a pretty funny idea too.

Butt-Head repeatedly saying Beavis' name to make him nothing was great too. Also Beavis solved the mystery of who sharpied shlongs on his face.

I'm guessing that was the season finale since it was a full half-hour episode. It was cool. ****1/2.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
The new revival has had it’s share of surprises.

In the 2000s, Beavis & Butt-Head was the one show I dreamed would eventually come back. I didn’t believe it was ever going to happen at times.

I was quite eager and excited during the return in 2011. Had a few cruddy episodes, but mostly it was good! I don’t know why the cancellation caught me by surprise.

In the world of streaming and everything coming back, my reaction to this new batch has been stunted. And I HATE that given how much it’s meant to me in the past.

Do The Universe was a mess for me. For multiple reasons. But it works well enough as a pre-cursor/pilot for this current series.

[Smart Beavis & Smart Butt-Head]: In the new movie, I thought they were very lame. I guess they fit in a sense that this is a beloved 90s property, and them as aliens would be something off an Austin Powers sequel.

Their main purpose in the show itself is to introduce you to the boys from the 90s that grew into middle aged men. Maybe the aliens would grow on me a little more if there was an episode centered around them in space.

[Old Beavis & Old Butt-Head]: The way they turned out as adults is both bittersweet and remarkable. They make up some of the most interesting episodes in the entire season.

Of course they never scored. But man, it’s a miracle the far gone alcoholics aren’t homeless, let alone still alive.

The kidney episode was the most messed up with them yet lol. Stewart (grew up to be Winger Bill Dauterive) might be the only human interaction the two received in years.

The very second someone from their old life steps in to help them, his life gets ruined as well. And it happens to the most innocent character.

I guess it’s his own damn fault for jumping into a surgery like that right away. No duh he had second doubts.

Then there’s the one with them taking advantage of employment programs, which was also pretty raw.

Someone mentioned above they should actually listen to metal, and yeah. I mean, they’re watching tiktoks and YouTubes just like their younger counterparts. They have the rights for that stuff, no? I wonder if they could play older stuff possibly for those segments.

Either way, I’m glad it’s not Jersey Shore anymore.

[Beavis & Butt-Head in normal form]: It’s sort of on par with how 2011 was, albeit a bit more inspired at times.

The only episodes that did absolutely nothing for me whatsoever was the Weird Girl & Beavis with his talking fire.

A lot of other episodes such as Nice Butt-Head, Freaky Friday & the DDT one are all great and really play nicely with some of the tropes.

Some flaws from Do The Universe are still present.

I hated the writing in the movie where near the end they had to spell out “yes, these are very stupid teenagers. And yes, they are very horny.”

A lot of the characters in this are no longer oblivious to these two, and that kinda takes the fun away at times.

Maybe they thought that part of it was getting stale. But there’s instances where I feel like the episode would be a lot funnier if some of the NPCs engaged the way they used to.

They’re mostly either too quirky in their own right, or they just ignore B&B’s antics entirety while still commenting that they’re weird.

I love Titmouse to death. But I hope the art style as far as the new character designs improves.

All in all though, quite satisfied with the turnout!

Last edited:

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
I knew Weird Girl was going to be just plain sad the second it started. And it sure was. That's not gonna stop people from shipping Beavis and Glennis though.

Both cartoons in Kidney / The Good Deed ended with them dying. Well, Beavis definitely dies in both, at least. Is that a first for the show? They seem indestructible at times. I thought they'd be able to shake off drinking banned acidic pesticide.

As someone who was, in fact, a teenager for part of the 1990s I take offense to the idea I should look that ugly by now.

Spiritual Journey deserved its double length because it never stopped being funny. The preacher and the rabbi were great.

They misinterpreted a name as "diarrhea" again, but never thought of Daria?

Funniest line of the entire season: "Did you know over 75% of the world's surface was once covered in sharks?"

[classic swim]

SwimShady
A recurring complaint that I keep seeing with this return is “Beavis abuse.”

To me, Butt-Head being mean to Beavis was always to be expected and isn’t really an issue.

The problem is I feel like at times it’s not balanced correctly.

It’s a one sided aspect of what made the original show funny.

I thought about one of my favorites from the 90s: Murder Site. The point of that episode was to show not only could Beavis snap back at Butt-Head when being insulted... but also that Beavis. Is. Messed. Up.

Butt-Head can rag on Beavis a lot here, and Beavis just sorta takes it these days. But a lot of these new episodes keep playing with the idea that Beavis was always the better of the two.

The original show was pretty ruthless about Beavis not being the innocent one and also being beyond saving; which made even field for the duo.

There needs to be some episodes in the new batch that show the side of Beavis that’s demented and quick to retaliate to Butt-Head’s comments.

Think it’s been awhile since I even heard him say “shut up, asswipe!”

Reactions: Ace

Ace

Ace
A recurring complaint that I keep seeing with this return is “Beavis abuse.”

To me, Butt-Head being mean to Beavis was always to be expected and isn’t really an issue.

The problem is I feel like at times it’s not balanced correctly.

It’s a one sided aspect of what made the original show funny.

I thought about one of my favorites from the 90s: Murder Site. The point of that episode was to show not only could Beavis snap back at Butt-Head when being insulted... but also that Beavis. Is. Messed. Up.

Butt-Head can rag on Beavis a lot here, and Beavis just sorta takes it these days. But a lot of these new episodes keep playing with the idea that Beavis was always the better of the two.

The original show was pretty ruthless about Beavis not being the innocent one and also being beyond saving; which made even field for the duo.

There needs to be some episodes in the new batch that show the side of Beavis that’s demented and quick to retaliate to Butt-Head’s comments.

Think it’s been awhile since I even heard him say “shut up, asswipe!”
A lot of the comedic potential is seeing the two bounce off each other and react to things around them. Distancing the two ruins the shtick and is way less entertaining.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Mike Judge's Beavis And Butt-Head "Refuse Service / Downward Dumbass"

Refuse Service:

This is easily the worst premise of the relaunch so far. During the middle of the run of the old show, it did stupid premises like this ALL the time, and it always wore thin. There's nothing clever here. It's not even an actual joke or misunderstanding. It's just stupid.

Butt-Head confirms psychiatrists have labeled him a sociopath, which I have been calling him for years. But he doesn't care. About that or anything else. Sounds about right.

Butt-Head being disgusted with the skull unboxer's cheery attitude is right. There's something deeply wrong with him.

I can't get over what a comedy dead end that was. I understand why the old show occasionally did stuff like that. In 2022 it's unacceptable. *.

Downward Dumbass:

Is this the first time they had the end credits play over the actual ending in franchise history? I think so.

The visual of Beavis sliding through the mall in the greased up yoga pants was absolutely hilarious. Well-timed animation on the show as well, which is also unusual.

Butt-Head made an interesting observation about the survivalist guy doing the video. If he's gonna just fry up stuff he got at the market, wouldn't it just have been easier to take a box of Froot Loops with him and eat that? I like that the show points out that people like Butt-Head have more common sense than the average YouTuber.

Much better than the first cartoon, but man, low bar. ***1/2.

Episode Overall: **.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
Watched the most recent episodes. I’ve suspected the order to be finished about three times now and more keep popping up lol. Not complaining.

[Refuse Service]

I dunno. There were a handful of things I found notable about the episode.

We’re finally seeing Burger World again, and now I know the context behind that one promotional image used for the show.

This one felt like a modern day rehash of all those early Burger World episodes.

In the 90s, these kids grilling your ass tasting dollar menu items seemed like everyone’s nightmare.

You’ve always heard those jokes (or possibilities) in the drive-thru about how they all spit on your food and things like that.

But now we live in a world where a McDonald’s worker is shot and killed over fries being too cold.

So needless to say our views on the burger joints are much less simplistic!

The emphasis on the right to refuse, and the talk on toxic work environments says enough about these last ten embarrassing years.

It’s about what you’d expect, propping Beavis & Butt-Head into one topical discussion that they misunderstand in a funny matter.

That’d be fine, except the execution of the other characters killlllllllssss this episode.

Beavis messing with the cops was very funny! He called the police man a butthole! Then that interaction just ends? And a massive fight breaks out, but not because of Beavis & Butt-Head refusing service?

Man, these npcs hardly have any good chemistry with the show at all. Forget the fact they already look dissociated from the art of the show, they barely fit naturally in a comedic sense.

They changed the Burger World manager, although he looks and sounds similar. In the old show, he would’ve popped back at the end of the episode to confront them. But here he just says his lines at the beginning and disappears.

It’s not like you have to revive old characters in order for these episodes to work. Todd was one of my all-time favorites from the OG show, but his 2011 voice was horrendous and didn’t at all represent or sell the character.

With or without classic characters, you just gotta try a little harder. Stop letting deliveries fall flat.

Bull$!&@ was uncensored. Makes me wonder if we will get atleast one episode that falls into TV MA category.

[Downward Dumbass]

They’re both looking at mall mannequins just like old times. Only they think they’re statues lol.

Again with the npcs, the grown woman walking up to Beavis and telling him “everyone looks sexy in yoga pants” was the strangest damn encounter ever.

“He made a face out of eggs and sausage cause he’s lonely.” Got a really good laugh outta me from the video segment.

The yoga pants one was ok, the payoff of Beavis being dragged all across the shopping mall was pretty good. Again, wish the npcs wouldn’t suck so much.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Beavis And Butt-Head "The Most Dangerous Game / Bone Hunters"

The Most Dangerous Game:

Amusing premise and well-done execution. Funny. Predictable and hilarious pay-off too. ****.

Bone Hunters:

Beavis destroying the TV is a good reminder that the kid is kind of dangerous. I personally have always found Beavis's wants and desires kind of sweet. And the relaunch has done a great job of showing that. But the truth is there should also be an edge to Beavis. In the sense that he spins out of Butt-Head's control sometimes. I don't really care about him whacking Butt-Head back or there being a more equal dynamic to the abuse. But I think part of the reason Butt-Head advises Beavis to settle down is partly because he's afraid of him when he doesn't. And I like that the relaunch is exploring Beavis' struggles in being in a codependent relationship with a sociopath like Butt-Head. But Beavis is always supposed to be portrayed as having mental issues himself. I'd argue even if Beavis is easier to put into society at large, those actual issues are far larger and more dangerous. And I like that the episode gave Beavis enough rage to actually destroy the TV.

For the record, I understand why Beavis and Butt-Head were upset, because the notion upset me too. I actually think dating a sex addict is a GREAT reason to break up with somebody, and I'm willing to risk Beavis' wrath to say that. But it's a terrible reason to GHOST somebody. It's you acting like the relationship was less intimate than it was. And if there was an overabundance of sex, you shouldn't be ghosting the person for any reason. They deserve a clear-cut dump and explanation.

Butt-Head firmly tells Beavis that this is one time he won't tell him to settle down, and that he firmly agrees with him for once. That's actually interesting.

The framing story was all right. Any measure of success Beavis and Butt-Head ever find in their lives is always illusory. Even if they are able tp blend into society successfully for a brief shining moment, they are always unable to sustain it. It's actually a bit depressing, but considering how dumb they are, any different outcome would present a bad moral to the viewer.

Interesting cartoon. ****.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
[The Most Dangerous Game]

Episode was great! It went by one of the oldest tricks in the book.

Loved the part where Butt-Head discovered his genius idea, that face he made.

Beavis was so sleep deprived he called him Birdman.

The way they looked without sleep reminded me of their appearance when they almost died contracting multiple things from the homeless guy in the Twilight fad episode from 2011.

The security guy that said (and did) nothing just made me think “this would’ve been the perfect opportunity for Buzzcut.”

The sword chopping guy video felt like a vintage Beavis & Butt-Head bit. Might be one of, if not my top favorite from this lot in terms of the videos.

[Bone Hunters]

Butt-Head’s “HEY” returned.

I’ll jump right into the video segment because it’s more interesting.

****Long tangent incoming****

Ghosted segment was another thing from these two episodes that reminded me of a previous quality from 2011 episodes; and not a good one.

I could not get behind those Jersey Shore bits. At all.

Y’know, at least with the MTV music videos, there was artistic integrity to be had. Even with Skrillex!

But the stuff with Jersey Shore was taking a good show and using it to amplify your mindless reality tv CRAP.

I don’t care if Butt-Head kept saying Snooki farted; it was clear and disgraceful promotion on MTV’s part, no matter how hard Mike Judge will try to convince you that he genuinely cared about satirizing garbage.

And then Jersey Shore got Beavis & Butt-Head cancelled!

So yeah. Needless to say I was instantly put off by this Ghosted one as it was starting.

But then suddenly Beavis got real exaggerated out of no where, and the ending to this had the most conflict I think in any video segment they’ve ever done.

It turned out a lot nicer than I thought. And I get they should be able to go into their reality shows if there’s substance with the material or commentary; but still.

That’s where my patience starts to run incredibly thin.

...........bone episode was fine!

Their Bonersaurus was about as crude as Truckasaurus from early Simpsons.

I love how they were creative enough to craft such a thing and still make “Boners R Us” t shirts by mistake.

The success they got was alright.

In a older episode they would’ve been coined as post modernist visionaries. In an even older episode, they would’ve just had a passerby or two call them morons.

Butt-Head admitting that they’re stupid was a little on the nose.

But yeah, those episodes were mostly nice.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.

Featured Posts