Best and Worst Superhero change scenes

ToxicOne

Is feeling creative
The Weed Of Cri said:
In the '80's, there was a Ruby-Spears cartoon called The Centurions in which the heroes wore suits that had attachment points for weapons and other equipment. The power-up sequences were well animated and the way the suits worked made a kind of sense (in a cartoon way, of course).
Yes! Someone knows about the Centurions other than me! Those sequences were awesome!

The Weed Of Cri

Smarter than you
Merilee said:
What exactly is Cutie Honey? I've never heard of her.
Merilee
:cool:
Cutie Honey was the creation of Go Nagai, a manga artist who had a reputation for breaking taboos (and getting away with it). She was Honey Kisaragi an android who had the ability to transform herself into a seemingly unlimited number of aliases, many of who had special abilities (like Hurricane Honey, who was an expert motorcyclist). Cutie Honey was her "ultimate" form, a superhero who fought a criminal organization called Panther Claw, who killed her "father" (creator).
Honey's transformations were accompanied by a brief (and often comical) flash of nudity. She often transformed in full view of witnesses, some of whom were left drooling. Nagai was doing a parody of popular "magical girl" manga of the day, many of which featured their heroines transforming with brief flashes of nudity (for the record, the nude scenes in magical girl shows like Sailor Moon aren't always done for the purposes of titilation; in Japan, nudity, especailly female nudity, is often used to symbolize spiritual purity. Go Nagai, however, did not encumber himself with higher symbolism; his heroine's nude scenes were done mostly for laughs.).

Beat

Retired
Honey's also notable as being a lone superheroine, not needing a team of other heroines or a strong male figure to help her out (heck, she ends up saving guys a lot!)

Go Nagai may be a perv, but Honey's a lot more empowered than a lot of heroines.

Back on topic, I remember the Centurion changing scenes. Stock footage at its finest.:D

Merilee

It IS?!

The Weed Of Cri said:
in Japan, nudity, especailly female nudity, is often used to symbolize spiritual purity.
It IS?! Gosh, America is sure different from Japan!
Merilee

NozeNuggets

STARTOUNZ said:
"I do agree with that, but it's not animated, so it really doesn't count here."
So then, what is it? Chopped liver? It was based on a comic book character that has been animated if my memory serves me right.

The Weed Of Cri

Smarter than you
Merilee said:
It IS?! Gosh, America is sure different from Japan!
Merilee
That's not to say they don't do it to titillate. After all, Japan pretty much invented cartoon fanservice. But sometimes the intent is misunderstood by people who view another culture's art through their own cultural lens.

STARTOUNZ

Best buds since the Stone Age
NozeNuggets said:
So then, what is it? Chopped liver? It was based on a comic book character that has been animated if my memory serves me right.
OK, Just to make you happy, I'll give it to you. I do remember the Wonder Woman change was done at least once in each of the last two SuperFriends series. ;)

Jon T

Friendless Spidey
The Weed Of Cri said:
In the '80's, there was a Ruby-Spears cartoon called The Centurions in which the heroes wore suits that had attachment points for weapons and other equipment. The power-up sequences were well animated and the way the suits worked made a kind of sense (in a cartoon way, of course).
The most impressive thing about those 'stock' sequences is that occasionally, they were modified to reflect specific changes in the equipment the Centurions were using in particular episodes.

Umino

Honey Flash?
Beatdigga speaks the truth. Cutie Honey was the first transforming magical girl after all. (if I'm not mistaken, Sally and Akko-chan didn't really have nude transformations)

What exactly is Cutie Honey? I've never heard of her.
Merilee
*cough*

Skeeter

Roving Wanderer
Merilee said:
Exactly wat I was saying. Also what I meant in 'There wasn't much of a costume' is that they didn;t wear any masks, no capes, her voice didn't change... nothing really remotely different. Their dresses changed...but that's it! I mean anyone could look into the face of Sailor Moon and know she was just Serena. So much for a secret identity.
Magic. The same magic that gives them the power to transform also keeps onlookers from recognizing the Senshi in their transformed states. The only way that's nullified is if someone witnesses the transformation taking place. I could cite several examples from the show.

Also on the point of witnesses, there usually aren't that many around during monster battles. And those civilians that are around are commonly unconscious due to having their energy drained/pure heart, dream mirror or star seed removed/general attack. So no one probably gets a good enough glimpse of the Sailor Senshi anyway.

-Kim

Steve Carras

SUGAR RUSH!!!!
I always loved the tripped out (actually, many of these 50s-easrly 60sd in origin!) sound effects that Hanna-Barbera would use..

The Gazoo "HMMM" and vibew gliss, the eerie long,slow guitar gliss and piano sparkling-sound (imagine the Warner Bros. shield followed by a LOUD thump;it's from the later UPAA cartoons, the DICK TRACY's, etc. and the H-B cartoons.I think CARTOON NETWORK, Nickelodeon, and Disney have used it; it's a standard trnasofrmaiton;hypnosis sound;), the famed Wheesha-deesha" effect when some one spins around, used as well for transformaiton effects, trhe various "Space Ghost" electrical stuff.

http://www.Sounddogs.com has a lot of thsi stuff.

MonkeyFunk

Kids and grown-ups love me so
Merilee said:
Exactly wat I was saying. Also what I meant in 'There wasn't much of a costume' is that they didn;t wear any masks, no capes, her voice didn't change... nothing really remotely different. Their dresses changed...but that's it! I mean anyone could look into the face of Sailor Moon and know she was just Serena. So much for a secret identity.
Yeah but... don't pretty much all the girls in Sailor Moon have the same face?

Master Moron

Oddly, Rei's face seems to be the only sailor senshi who has a face that is slightly different. Her face seems much rounder compared to the others.

Now, my question is does anyone else in the city have a hairstyle like Sailor Moon's? Maybe those jewels on her head disguise her odangos...

Umino

Honey Flash?
Something about the Sailor Senshi make them look different in their normal forms. If you remeber, this is kind of explained right after Venus joins the crew. Minako meets up with them, and they don't regonize she's Venus. Minako states they all look different in their senshi form.

Gokou Ruri

Wielder of the dark arts.
That's probably the most logical reason :D

I'd also like to add Krypto's transformation too. A dog chasing his tail at super speed to change is just classic.

STARTOUNZ

Best buds since the Stone Age
And we shouldn't count out the little guys either. The Mighty Man change was pretty good as his ugly dog sidekick zaps him with his Mighty Machine which shrinks him from his rich man alter ego to tiny superhero and despite his small size gives his rally call "MIGHTY, MIGHTY----MIGHTY MAAAAAN!!!!!!" I also remember the old Filmation DC heroes cartoons starring Superman, Batman, Aquaman, etc. In particular, a couple of them featured the Atom, who as Ray Palmer stands in his superhero pose (You know, arms bent with hands on hips) before he shrinks down and changes into the Atom, which looked weird, but cool. Worst among the group was the Flash and Kid Flash, who somehow have their costumes each compressed into a ring and they somehow pop out inflating like balloons and with a little spin move, they're suited up. The spinning alone would have been good enough.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts