"Blue Beetle" Animated Series News & Discussion (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Deadline reports a Blue Beetle animated series is in the works. With Miguel Puga as showrunner, Cristian Martinez as writer, Angel Manuel Soto, Gareth Dunnet-Alcocer, John Ricard and Galen Vaisman as Executive Producers. The show is apparently supposed to follow up on the events of the live-action movie from last year.

Stay tuned for further updates.

Comments?

Frontier

Staff member
That's great that Xolo's Blue Beetle gets to continue in animated form, I think the property is tailor-made for a cool action cartoon :).

And hey, maybe they can throw in a guest star or two like David Corenswet's Superman ;).

But I feel like somebody needs to say it...Blue Beetle can get a cartoon but Wonder Woman can't :p?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Certainly not a character I expected to get an animated series.

Reading between the lines, this show seems to be their way of telling the DCU version of the live action movie then that leads into a (purely 1:1 canon-to-DCU) movie later on. And sounds like the cast will reprise their roles but perhaps like Creature Commandos, any new character could be voiced by someone who will play them in live-action. Like if they continue to build on the Ted Kord mystery, would we see Ted Kord for the first time in the cartoon or will they keep that for the movie?

Curious how much more story they can tell without stepping on plans for the next movie, presumably about the Reach.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I have very mixed reactions to these news! I've been waiting for a Blue Beetle cartoon since the initial 2006 comic run. I'm glad Jaime's finally getting his own show. And while I like the movie, I don't like the show tying in to it. The movie made some creative decisions (aged up cast, no Paco/Brenda, Palmera City) I wasn't into and it means they might be limited on what they can do with it.

It seems like Xolo Maridueña is returning to the role. At least he's got some voice acting experience.
Curious how much more story they can tell without stepping on plans for the next movie, presumably about the Reach.
I'm curious to see if they'll use the show to resolve the Ted Kord plotline, so they can give a theoretical new movie a "fresh" new start.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I have very mixed reactions to these news! I've been waiting for a Blue Beetle cartoon since the initial 2006 comic run. I'm glad Jaime's finally getting his own show. And while I like the movie, I don't like the show tying in to it. The movie made some creative decisions (aged up cast, no Paco/Brenda, Palmera City)
Yeah, that's one thing I hope they change and bring in Paco and Brenda. Would be neat if Traci Thirteen shows up, too.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
I don't want a continuation of the movie, it went way too far off from the source material and it was pretty awful overall.

Frontier

Staff member
Certainly not a character I expected to get an animated series.

Reading between the lines, this show seems to be their way of telling the DCU version of the live action movie then that leads into a (purely 1:1 canon-to-DCU) movie later on. And sounds like the cast will reprise their roles but perhaps like Creature Commandos, any new character could be voiced by someone who will play them in live-action. Like if they continue to build on the Ted Kord mystery, would we see Ted Kord for the first time in the cartoon or will they keep that for the movie?

Maybe this is like a revamped "canon" take on Blue Beetle in the context of the DCU so they can change some things and do their own thing...and maybe give Jaime more to do like fight La Dama or hang out with Paco and Brenda :rolleyes2:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Maybe this is like a revamped "canon" take on Blue Beetle in the context of the DCU so they can change some things and do their own thing...and maybe give Jaime more to do like fight La Dama or hang out with Paco and Brenda :rolleyes2:.
Yes, if you look at the article they're basically saying they're rebooting the movie for the new DCU canon and Puga is the fresh set of eyes that's gonna help with that.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Probably another adult superhero toon considering its kinda live action movie tie in. Despite the high Rotten Tomatoes score, it seems like the movie wasn't that well liked. It had the DCEU's first fart joke and seemed really generic. Maybe this could Blue Beetle's redemption tour. It seems like superhero cartoons are doing there best during the current live action superhero slump.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"Blue Beetle Animated Series Now In Development"​

bbd-trl-88460-1680537451119.jpg

"Warner Bros’ newest superhero animated series will star the Blue Beetle! Apparently the studio started work on a BB cartoon earlier this year, with Miguel Puga (The Loud House, The Casagrandes) as showrunner and Cristian Martinez (Good Trouble, The Fosters) writing scripts. The news was broken by Deadline over the weekend.

The news is surprising, given that Blue Beetle was just given his chance at Hollywood stardom with a feature film that was all but ignored by moviegoers. What’s even MORE surprising is this: reportedly this animated series would be a continuation of the movie."

Did you see Blue Beetle? Neither did I. No one did. This is kind of a miraculous second chance for Jaime Reyes, the man in the bug suit. Ángel Manuel Soto, executive producer of the feature film, will oversee this production alongside Gareth Dunnet-Alcocer."

Read the full article here.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I have very mixed reactions to these news! I've been waiting for a Blue Beetle cartoon since the initial 2006 comic run. I'm glad Jaime's finally getting his own show. And while I like the movie, I don't like the show tying in to it. The movie made some creative decisions (aged up cast, no Paco/Brenda, Palmera City) I wasn't into and it means they might be limited on what they can do with it.
My thoughts exactly. I enjoyed the movie more than I expected but nothing done with Jaime ever lives up to that first comic run for me. I wanted to see a series based on it forever, especially considering that John Rogers was the main writer and has lots of TV showrunner experience.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm

Featured Posts