"X-Men '97 (Disney+)" Animated Series News & Discussion, Part 2 (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I find it stranger Magneto is still listed among the villains. A hint of what to expect from him going forward, or just promotional material not exactly accurate to how the show actually plays out.

Juggernaut could potentially show up once Xavier returns. I'm still hoping we see Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch in regards to Magneto.

Speaking of which, with the "don't mess with the Summers" tagline, before watching the new clip I was hoping Havok would be involved (he was also part of X-Factor alongside Pietro and Forge on the old show).

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I find it stranger Magneto is still listed among the villains. A hint of what to expect from him going forward, or just promotional material not exactly accurate to how the show actually plays out.
We still see him leading the villains in the intro every week. One thing I have been wondering...

It's complicated but do we even know that the Magneto in Bastion's captivity, who he's going to use for some evil purpose, isn't a clone like Joseph.

Frontier

Staff member
I think Bastion is going to brainwash Magneto into attacking so he has justification for pushing the Prime Sentinels and war against Mutants.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"Airbnb Recreates The X-Men’s “Xavier Institute” For Fans To Visit"​

AirBNB-X-Mansion.webp

"Airbnb, the online platform for rental accommodations has recreated various rooms and spaces from the famous Xavier Institute, also known as the X-Mansion, the home and base for the X-Men. As a bonus, Jubilee, often depicted as the youngest member of the team (including in X-Men The Animated Series and it’s sequel, X-Men ’97 currently premiering new episodes on Disney+), acts as your guide as you explore these areas.

The official messages from Airbnb follow, most of them in Jubilee’s own words: “Calling all mutants! Or anyone who feels just a little bit different. Now’s your shot to find out how super special you are at Xavier’s Institute for Higher Learning. We’re totally ready to welcome mutant trainees like you to our newest class. Anyway, get ready for the coolest orientation ever! The X-Mansion is the best place for you and other mutants to learn about and control your awesome mutant gifts. Your stay will be packed with training, cool experiments, secret mission briefings, a class photo, and more! When you’re wiped out, crash in my room, Wolverine’s, or one of our other dorms. Can’t wait for our mutant sleepover!”"

Read the full article here.

ShadowStar

Why am I getting more and more Fatal Attractions vibes for how things are going to shake out o_O.
Yeah, you aren't the only one... as I've said previously (but only about two weeks ago -- I couldn't have seen this coming at the start of the season).

Frontier

Staff member
Wow, they really are scaling everybody else back to their 70's/80's costumes. And I guess in-universe they're just going back to stuff they used to wear :p.

Trish lives :D!

Wolverine looks straight out of the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon o_O.

I'm guessing Roberto ditched Jubilee and she's ticked :oops:.

It all comes down to the X-Men needing to save the world :eek:!

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I hope there will be, because to be honest, I don't like the Marvel Girl and 1970's Cyclops costumes. But that's just my personal feeling. I consider those costumes to be a step down from Jean and Scott's 90's costumes.
I personally love the costumes, in context. I think my first ever exposure to Cyclops was a brief look at the Jim Lee costume but I really started loving the X-Men because of the Konami arcade game, which in turn was based on the Pryde pilot and featured those classic Cockrum/Byrne era looks. I think it looks so awesome in the hands of the right artist, and as part of that team aesthetic. Jim Lee improved on the costume so much, just as he did with Rogue, that it's hard to go back when it's not a retro situation. Lee's Cyclops, Rogue and Gambit are their iconic looks for me. It does make me wonder what the look of Season 2 will be like. I'll miss the Jim Lee look of the team.

As far as the Marvel Girl costume, I don't even like it much as the Cyclops costume but I just like it as part of the very specific period it's from. My favorite use of it was during the X-Men vs Imperial Guard battle on the moon during the Dark Phoenix Saga. It's one of my least favorite Jean costumes (Phoenix is the iconic one for me) but I do have fondness for it as sort of an emblem of Scott and Jean's young love.

x_men__tas_by_timlevins_devoh3q-fullview.jpgx_men__tas___v_2_by_timlevins_devoh7s-fullview.jpg2bfb83c71a147a5a3b3a30ce896c9854--john-byrne-jean-grey.jpg

Amen to that. He was such an integral part of the '80s comic books.

My boy can never catch a real break.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts