"X-Men '97 (Disney+)" Animated Series News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
That includes some interesting little tricks, Winderbaum says. “Part of the design of the overall look of the show is to create a small video transfer effect over the animation to give it a little bit of that television in the ’90s patina,” he says.

Evoking memory with those techniques also makes it possible to occasionally break the rules and open up the action in ways the original series could not. “We have a strict code of ethics,” says Winderbaum. “But there are specific points where we crack it on purpose for what I think is great dramatic effect.”

That's interesting... I hope it doesn't become distracting.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
20240306_135211.jpg

Official episode list. Love the retro TV guide. It reminds me of the ones they did for WandaVision.

Would have been extra cool if it was an issue of Disney Adventures.

Last edited:

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
I hate to be a broken record but... where's Kitty?

Jubilee is the team's young teenage girl member. Heck, Kitty's comic entrance was the Dark Phoenix Saga, along with Senator Kelly who's approval of the Sentinels was started by the X-Men's attack on the Hellfire Club (Shaw and his associates being seen as a legit club).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I'm curious about "Motendo / Lifedeath - Part 1". Could it be an episode with two separate segments in it?

Speaking of which, the rumored episode titles reported a while ago seem to have been accurate, except for this "Lifedeath" one (it was announced as "Shine with Strength Reborn" previously).

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I think I know the Lifedeath story from the comics but I never actually read those issues. Another mid to late 80s X-Men story, like a lot of what we've taken from the trailer and other sources so far. They could, of course, do something completely different with it.

The Jubilee and Roberto pairing makes me wonder if any other New Mutants/Generation X characters might appear down the line. Cannonball himself had a whole episode centered around his recruitment. Even Kitty could slide into the mix if they ever do a young class.

ShadowStar

Now that we can see a little bit more of the animation (in terms of the fluidity of movement during fight scenes), I think it's safe to say that this is 2D animation and that it looks great! Kind of like how people probably expected Young Justice season 4 to look -- I am NOT knocking Phantoms, but I'm just acknowledging that some people were disappointed with its animation... so they should be a bit happier with what we're getting here.

Frontier said:
"Tolerance is Extinction" - Operation Zero Tolerance?
Yes, please -- I really, really hope so. Bastion and the Prime Sentinels would be great villains for this show!

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member

I was hoping for teasers like this that had more of that Fox Kids promo feel. They were experts at getting a kid pumped up.

Now that we can see a little bit more of the animation (in terms of the fluidity of movement during fight scenes), I think it's safe to say that this is 2D animation and that it looks great! Kind of like how people probably expected Young Justice season 4 to look -- I am NOT knocking Phantoms, but I'm just acknowledging that some people were disappointed with its animation... so they should be a bit happier with what we're getting here.
I can barely remember the visual problems I had with Phantoms and I only remember the parts I thought looked cool.

I'm happy to see more action shots with this teaser since that was something I thought the trailer wasn't super heavy on, outside of a few shots like Gambit and Wolverine's combo move, and Storm's lightning blitz.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I was not expecting Cyclops' "I surrender... Not!". :p I'm sure he used the same line (well, the "not" anyway) at least once on the original series.

It would be nice if they did teasers like this every week. Though I'd be fine even only a mid-season or season finale teaser, too.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I was not expecting Cyclops' "I surrender... Not!". :p I'm sure he used the same line (well, the "not" anyway) at least once on the original series.

It would be nice if they did teasers like this every week. Though I'd be fine even only a mid-season or season finale teaser, too.
Scott does it to the Sentinels at the beginning of the climax of "Night of the Sentinels".

I would be down for more teasers. Although I'm fine with the mid-season and finale teasers. I expect them to go with the "Previously on X-Men" openers, for sure.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Yeah, I remembered the "Night of Sentinels" scene but couldn't recall if the line was used anywhere else. Not that it's such an important or brilliant line of dialogue.

"Previously on X-Men" is kind of a tradition that hopefully won't be ignored in this new show.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I wonder why some of the old voice cast has been moved around, like Catherine Disher playing Val Cooper rather than Jean Grey, is Disher too old old to play Jean Grey or something at this point?

Also, this show is supposed to be TV-14, I wonder what they will able to get away with on this show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts