"X-Men '97 (Disney+)" Animated Series News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I don't expect this to be much more violent or anything than the original series. Not like Samurai Jack season 5 compared to the earlier seasons. I think What If? was also rated "TV-14" and it isn't too over the top. Marvel Zombies will be "TV-MA" so that's another story, but that's to be expected considering the subject matter.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I kind of expect Disney+ to rate their originals a little high compared to other services. With Echo, for instance, I wasn't expecting its content to really get as violent as a Netflix Marvel show but I'd probably give it a TV-14 myself instead of the MA they gave it.

Strangely enough, I saw X-Men 97 labeled as TV PG on the site yesterday, when it was TV 14 before. Maybe they reconsidered?

Screenshot_20240310_140052.jpg

dmxx116

Frontier

Staff member
They're really leaning hard into the nostalgia and retro feel and I love every minute of it :).
Now that we can see a little bit more of the animation (in terms of the fluidity of movement during fight scenes), I think it's safe to say that this is 2D animation and that it looks great! Kind of like how people probably expected Young Justice season 4 to look -- I am NOT knocking Phantoms, but I'm just acknowledging that some people were disappointed with its animation... so they should be a bit happier with what we're getting here.
The action scenes look more CG than the standing around and non-action scenes which seems more 2D. It's weird.

Though honestly I wonder if some of the stiffer bits are an intentional homage to the originals' animation.
It would be nice if they did teasers like this every week. Though I'd be fine even only a mid-season or season finale teaser, too.
I'm assuming we might get 1-2 clips per week for every new episode ;).
"Previously on X-Men" is kind of a tradition that hopefully won't be ignored in this new show.
So long as this is a weekly release, we are very likely getting "Previously on X-Men" :proud:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
A few more updates-

Info on issue #3 of the the tie-in comic available May 22, 2024.

DANGER ABLAZE! Powerful new foes descend on the X-Men, endangering not just our merry mutants - but any innocent civilians caught in the crossfire! Will humanity's improved opinion of mutants survive the chaos - and will one member of the team find herself pushed past her limits? Find out in the penultimate installment of the official prelude to the hit new Disney+ TV show!

Reported run times for the first 2 episodes.

New poster released.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member

It reminds me of the Marvel cards from 1991 or 1992 maybe. I had a few of those and loved them.

I love this approach but I wonder when they'll release a poster that is more of a standard series poster.

il_570xN.3870287391_hlv4.jpg

The Cyclops card in particular felt familiar to me

All the cards are recreations but I wonder if Morph's is.

*Edit*
There are individual posters, too, going down the thread

Last edited:

ShadowStar

Frontier

Staff member
Wow, that's...pretty dramatic. One of the leading creative voices behind the continuation fired before it even premiered? That's almost unheard of o_O.

Apparently he also deleted his entire social media presence so I wonder if that's related :confused:?
This bodes well...

It feels strange making it public during the promo run. I wonder how recent it is.

Speaking of which...
Storm is as overdramatic as ever :p.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I've seen it suggested DeMayo was fired for his behavior and there might have been an incident where he posted indecent photos online. Only rumors for now I suppose (and I am not really interested in following the reports further). If somehow an official statement or article regarding his firing comes out it's fine to share it but I'd rather not have the discussion focus on all that.

His work on the show should still stand, the article above mentions he finished writing for season 2 as well. I don't think there would be any editing of his scripts at this stage and removing his name from the credits seems a bit extreme to me. The question I think would be, who would take his place, if the show continues past this.

Regardless this is kind of bad press the show (any show, really) doesn't need only days before it's much anticipated premiere.

View attachment 307636

A new poster made it to Marvel Korea's Instagram.
I thought it was the same background at first but those VHS tapes have Mojo, X-Cutioner, Emma Frost and Juggernaut on them. Pretty cool.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It should be interesting seeing how Juggernaut factors in now that Xavier is gone, too.

EDIT: From the front page of Anime Superhero.com.

""X-Men '97" Showrunner Fired Ahead Of Premiere"​

ex848kqs.jpg

"We’ve got one week until the X-Men return…the 1990s cartoon X-Men, directly from where they left off, in Marvel’s X-Men 97. In the first episode, the crew will be dealing with the loss of their leader, Professor X. It turns out behind the scenes, the crew who made the show will also be dealing with the absence of their own leader.

Beau DeMayo, series showrunner, head writer and the man who came up with the idea of bringing the 90s X-Men back in the first place, has been pink-slipped. Why? No one knows. The story broke yesterday and there was no official comment from Disney or Marvel. DeMayo isn’t speaking. To quote a completely different show that’s the opposite of X-Men in tone…looks like we have a mystery, gang!"

Read the full article here.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
It should be interesting seeing how Juggernaut factors in now that Xavier is gone, too.

I don't imagine it really happening but I can picture Cain hearing about Charlie's "death" and coming for his cut of the inheritance.

Random thought: I'm just thinking about how they adopted the Marvel Animation name for animation out of Marvel Studios now, so I wouldn't expect them to use the Marvel Studios opening fanfare. I don't expect much but it would be cool if they gave Marvel Animation it's own cool intro, highlighting old shows.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts