Boomerang (US) News & Discussion II: Rebrand

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
IMO, the only thing that could save Boomerang is if they started airing more obscure cartoons, like Camp Lazlo, Class of 3000, Mike Lu and Og, Juniper Lee, or Time Squad, but they'll never do that. They'd only air popular/well-known cartoons from that point, because if they dare attempted to air some unpopular shows, it'd make Boomerang somewhat interesting, and we cannot let that happen!
Well, for what I have heard from Dave Byer on Twitter, Boomerang are not interested in airing old CN originals anymore since they usually get poor ratings.

Moe

You needs to accept the reality about cable TV is dying and it is beyond the repair. Studios shift their resources on streaming services because they would be very profitable and make a lot of money after get out of unprofitability territory, also more studios don't mind to license their shows out to third party linear channels like Weigel owned channels, especially WBD did with Weigel for new MeTV Toons.

Even cable TV is dying, there is no imminent closures of cable channels right now and when decline continues further (get worse) until it became a crucial (multiple channels become unprofitable), so they are ready to close multiple channels and you are likely to have fewer cable channels. Enjoy your cable TV while its last.

You are welcome to sue Weigel for hurt Boomerang and it would be interesting legal test, so have fun with this.

By the way, WB/Turner struggled with Boomerang for more than 20 years after series of rating disappointment and they tried to fix for years, so it was all unsuccessful. They leave on autopilot, walk away and forgot until they came back for new experiment as attempt to fix the broken channel. Cassie is right about rebrand ruined the Boomerang further.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Warner Bros. hasn't been passionate about Boomerang U.S. for years now. In 2015, it looked as though Boomerang U.S. was going to get a revamp, but that turned out to be mostly just a few new bumpers and wraparounds, which amounted to little more than a fresh coat of paint.

Some fans here in the U.S. may be passionate about Boomerang but WB seems content to leave the channel on autopilot. I agree that there's no real reason for Boomerang U.S. to exist now.

As for the prospect of Boomerang airing shows like Time Squad, Class of 3000, The Secret Saturdays, etc., it's possible that some of those former CN shows have either been written off or Boom can't air them due to legal or monetary issues. Keeping in mind that Boomerang's ad revenue is much lower than that of Cartoon Network.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moe

As if Boomerang ever gets good ratings to begin with? LOL
They probably did for very short time with Scooby Doo show in 2001, lol.

I remembered about watch cartoon shows on Boomerang in 2002 and they air cartoon shorts (Looney Tunes, Popeyes, Pink Panther, Tom and Jerry, MGM), Hanna-Barbera shows, Ruby-Spears shows and numbers of acquired shows like Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends. Zero Cartoon Network original cartoon shows at all.

Boomerang schedule is almost go back to old way, but only difference - they got new Scooby Doo shows, new LT shows, new Tom and Jerry, Baby Looney Tunes and Duck Dodgers weren't exist in 2002.

CassieTheDragon

They probably did for very short time with Scooby Doo show in 2001, lol.

I remembered about watch cartoon shows on Boomerang in 2002 and they air cartoon shorts (Looney Tunes, Popeyes, Pink Panther, Tom and Jerry, MGM), Hanna-Barbera shows, Ruby-Spears shows and numbers of acquired shows like Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends. Zero Cartoon Network original cartoon shows at all.

Boomerang schedule is almost go back to old way, but only difference - they got new Scooby Doo shows, new LT shows, new Tom and Jerry, Baby Looney Tunes and Duck Dodgers weren't exist in 2002.
I mean, maybe they got decent ratings when it was new but not rebrand-era Boomerang.

Moe

I mean, maybe they got decent ratings when it was new but not rebrand-era Boomerang.
Yeah, rebrand version made much worse and it looks like WBD attempted to rebrand Boomerang to make attractive to pay TV operators, so it wasn't success, so they gave up again.

Charter didn't carry Boomerang until they bought Time Warner Cable + Bright House in 2016. In my area, suburban residents had to get Dish or DirecTV if they want to watch Boomerang, so it was available on Time Warner Cable since day one in 2000. I lived in city of Birmingham and had cable TV from Time Warner.

Last edited:

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
According to Cord Cutters News, Boomerang has moved up to the #1 spot of cable channels most likely to shut down in the latter half of 2024. (Second is FXX.) WBD's partnering with Weigel Broadcasting and pouring the bulk of its' classic content into MeTV Toons puts Da Boom in serious jeopardy.

Make of that what you will.

Last edited:

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
^I didn't say Boomerang was definitely shutting down; the article merely states that the likelihood of that happening within the next year or so is very high currently.

Look, I get it. You have a strong emotional connection to this channel and don't want to see it gone. I feel your pain. The way Warner Bros. has been shafting Cartoon Network while unabashedly overloading the Adult Swim side of their channel is painful for me to witness; WBD's general shenanigans have put me through the emotional wringer. Like @Goldstar! put it: CN is in a Catch-22 situation: nobody watches CN because there's nothing new on the channel, and CN refuses to put anything new on the channel because nobody watches it. But despite it all, I still hold on the slim hope that Cartoon Network will one day climb out of the deep ditch it's currently in and that it and Max will one day become the cartoon-friendly hubs they once were, but the writing's on the wall; the rules of TV entertainment are changing; cable itself is dying a slow death, and even if Boomerang doesn't go away entirely, let's face it: it's been on autopilot for about a decade now. The one glimmer of hope Boom had was having Dave Byer as scheduler, and now he's moved on. I don't see Warner Bros. Discovery suddenly starting to give a crap about this channel now. Just keeping it 100.

I've 98% given up hope for a Cartoon Network rebound, but since CN is in more homes than Boom and has much higher ad revenue, there's still a chance (albeit a razor thin one) that it could come inching back to relevance one day, if not as a channel, then as an app or a window on Max. Boomerang's potential future isn't that bright in the wake of current trends: best case scenario, it gets morphed into something else entirely or it could go back to being a programming block on CN; worst case scenario, it just fades out, but even if that were to happen, MeTV Toons will exist.

Last edited:

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
^It's not shutting down.
You don't know that. There's no way for any of us to know precisely what Warner Bros. Discovery plans to do with any of their channels because WB typically keeps its plans secret until the last possible moment.

If someone had told me 3 years ago that Warner Media would be taken over by the company that gave us Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives and Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo, I would have told them that they were crazy. As we speak, Adult Swim is taking over Cartoon Network just like Jetix took over Toon Disney before the entire channel was re-branded into Disney XD. And with MeTV Toons premiering next month, who knows what's going to happen with Boomerang? WB could just let the channel continue on the same treadmill that it's been on for the last 10 years, or they could merge Boom with Discovery Family, or they could transform both channels into a Cartoonito channel. We really don't know, and we won't know until WBD makes some kind of formal announcement.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Has anyone noticed the Scooby Doo Show from the 70s is airing on CN starting on June 9 at 8 am est? I wonder if they are planning to shut down Boomerang this summer, and phase the more popular Boomerang IPs back over to CN.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Has anyone noticed the Scooby Doo Show from the 70s is airing on CN starting on June 9 at 8 am est? I wonder if they are planning to shut down Boomerang this summer, and phase the more popular Boomerang IPs back over to CN.
Well, as @Goldstar! said, who knows? Anything can happen. Nobody thought WB is merging with the same company that brought us Honey Boo Boo, yet it did, so...

That's just what I said last week! Ouweleen knows what he's doing for CN!
Ehhh....I would say, agree to disagree for now...

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I don't know if Boomerang is necessarily ending, although if Dave Byer is correct, we're going to hear news about the channel that won't be very pretty coming soon.

If it was to shut down, I've thought before that it would be nice if some of Warner's A-listers- Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Flintstones, Scooby, maybe Jetsons- increased their presence on Cartoon Network proper, even if it's during less ideal hours like early mornings (ie 6-8 am). Is The Scooby-Doo Show's arrival on CN a test to see if these older shows can still work on CN? I'd like to think that there will always be room for them.

CassieTheDragon

To be entirely honest i'm not sure they even will shut Boomerang down for now. I have this feeling they'll just let it rot and die in the corner. I could be wrong though.

They do have Wally Gator back on Boomerang's schedule, though (as of January of this year) and I am aware Wally's been gone for a while, but unfortunately they still play the Boomerang theater bumper that's been the same since the day the rebrand happened.

And since MeTV is getting so many obscure shows too... what's the point?

Spotlight

Staff online

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts