Cartoon Network shows pulled from HBO Max

Light Lucario

Staff member
I don't have any streaming services but yeah I can understand. All I really care about is just new stuff coming to Cartoon Network. And Zaslav has said that they are still gonna prioritize linear TV so that's good to hear
If they're willing to remove so many shows from HBO Max, including some that started on Cartoon Network proper like OK KO and Mao Mao, I'm not sure how much good we can expect from them prioritizing linear TV, at least as far as animated series go. Stuff like this, and really all of their decisions since the merger for that matter, doesn't leave a lot of confidence for me at the moment.

GonzagatotheMWC

If they're willing to remove so many shows from HBO Max, including some that started on Cartoon Network proper like OK KO and Mao Mao, I'm not sure how much good we can expect from them prioritizing linear TV, at least as far as animated series go. Stuff like this, and really all of their decisions since the merger for that matter, doesn't leave a lot of confidence for me at the moment.
But he Said they would STILL make linear TV a priority I think things are gonna be fine. This merger is gonna surprise everyone I'm telling you. Plus also you have to look at viewership rates. If no one is watching the shows why would they waste their time supporting these shows. Like I said it's a BUSINESS decision and people don't realize this.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
I think it also shows one of the major downsides of relying on streaming services. As nice as it is to watch shows whenever we want to, if companies can just remove even their original series at any given time for whatever reason, then that means people can't watch them legally, especially if they don't want to release the series on DVD or Blu-Ray.
Okay, now that's a very good point, and it is one of the major downsides for streaming services in general.

Light Lucario

Staff member
But he Said they would STILL make linear TV a priority I think things are gonna be fine. This merger is gonna surprise everyone I'm telling you. Plus also you have to look at viewership rates. If no one is watching the shows why would they waste their time supporting these shows. Like I said it's a BUSINESS decision and people don't realize this.
I realize that it's a business decision. That doesn't necessarily make it good or negate that a lot of people's work with these shows are effectively being thrown away with this decision. Even if the viewership for these shows were that low, that's still a lot of shows to remove, which isn't typical of original series for streaming services either. I can't say if the merger is going to be good or bad in the long run, but my point is that with all of their questionable decisions as of late, it doesn't bring a lot of confidence on what they'll do with linear TV regardless of what he said about it.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
Hopefully linear TV for Cartoon Network won't be CN Real 2.0.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JaredCap43™

I'm the Mighty Pocoyo, no CEO can defeat me!
If I were to pitch a show, it would be to PBS Kids, Disney, or Amazon (not including Nick because of the Paw Patrol and SpongeBob standards), and not Cartoon Network, Cartoonito, Adult Swim, or HBO Max because it would suffer from the static corruption that Zaslav started.

DogBoneController

If I were to pitch a show, it would be to PBS Kids, Disney, or Amazon (not including Nick because of the Paw Patrol and SpongeBob standards), and not Cartoon Network, Cartoonito, Adult Swim, or HBO Max because it would suffer from the static corruption that Zaslav started.
I would prefer DreamWorks. By most accounts it's a fun place to work (though the Comcast takeover has somewhat dampened that).

Moe

No, most of contents are pulling as list in OP is going to be tax write-off, so it means they cannot air on CN either at all, so once content is tax write-off, it is unavailable to watch legally everywhere.

cable tv for life! It's gonna make a comeback I'm telling ya
Keep dreaming, cable TV continue to decline further and further, so rating will tell you.

Downsize the streaming service isn’t going to bring people back to cable, so Viacom tried in the past and it was failure, so people would cancel everything together and rely on free OTA channels.

Zaslav made a lot of money with Discovery contents air on their channels but it cannot be said same for WB contents - they are different and complicated. The real issue with HBO Max is excessive spending on original series with not much return with revenues from subscription. Zaslav is going clean the WB’s financial mess but it isn’t going to help to resurrect the cable TV.

You are going to be disappointed rather than optimistic about cable TV in the future.

Also, WBD is going to cut a lot of scripted shows on cable channels, especially TBS and TNT.

Sam the Cartoonist

And here I was naively thinking The Boondocks reboot cancellation would be the only bad thing to come out of WarnerMedia this year. I got HBO Max only a few months ago but won't have time to enjoy it to its fullest until the end of week at least due to life stuff so I just feel like I've been played down and dirty.

Guess it's time to go back to sailing to seven seas again.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Prior to the merger, I thought that HBO Max was one of the more solid streaming services out there. I didn't have a subscription, but they had a solid library of shows and movies under their belt and if they had announced something like new Steven Universe, Infinity Train or the biggest long shot Justice League Action, I would have been all over it. Now I'm not sure if I'd want to get an HBO Max subscription. If they can just toss away so many shows, including ones that I really like, for tax write-offs, it's hard to want to support them. Maybe that will change with other future projects, but stuff like this makes it feel less likely to happen for me.

Moe

My god. That's awful. :mad:
Exactly, that how I felt about this news. :(

Don't forget Megas XLR. I'm curious as to whether or not those shows have English audio tracks considering some might consider VPN'ing for those shows.
I'm wonder if they include English subtitles but I'm not hold my breath, so that why I bought some CN contents on iTunes if they are available on HBO Max.

Light Lucario makes a good point about relying solely on streaming services not being the best idea. If it's a show that you love and will watch over and over, you should see if said show can be legally purchased via Amazon, iTunes or something similar and buy it. The entertainment market is very cutthroat, and one shouldn't assume that an original series will stay on a single streaming platform forever.
but I don't know if those contents are going to be pulled from iTunes and Amazon, and out of print for physical media, so we have to wait to see about what happen after they get pulled from HBO Max.

The shows are still available as purchases on Amazon, iTunes, Google Play, and Vudu for the moment at least.
It is currently in limbo - I encourage all of you to buy those contents as soon as possible and it is unknown about whichever will be pulled. I know that is going to break a wallet.

And this is why we prefer watching them on physical media.
It didn't help if physical media is unavailable or out of print.

It is unusual for streaming service to remove the original series, so recent would be Marvel TV shows on Netflix and moved to Disney+.

How does this all not violate contracts made between the shows' creators and the network? If this possibility was ever stipulated in those contracts, I have never heard of such a thing. This practice should be illegal. People don't make art for CEO's to write it off and bury it. Period.
Creators would have to consult with lawyers and take WB to court to resolve the issue with contract.

Y'all could contact your representatives to legislate the bill to amend IRS code to remove the company's ability to use tax write-off on TV and film contents, also don't forget to explain about situation with WB.

Other way - talk to media outlet but many people aren't comfortable with this option.

I can't thinking about whichever contents that Disney use as tax write-off, even after they bought and own 20th Century.

I wish that Amazon should buy WB, so it is very unlikely for Amazon to can the contents, however some shows may get cancelled and some staffs get laid off, but no tax write-off.

I have to say, most entertainment news doesn't make me genuinely upset, or even angry. Even stuff I dislike doesn't truly effect my mental health.

This truly bothers me in a way few other pop-culture things do. I am currently not at my best because this news is totally freaking me out.
I was angry at beginning after saw first news, eventually went disappointed, so when more news came in, more disappointment for me but not angry.

I feel very bad for those creators who worked hard to make contents.

Prior to the merger, I thought that HBO Max was one of the more solid streaming services out there. I didn't have a subscription, but they had a solid library of shows and movies under their belt and if they had announced something like new Steven Universe, Infinity Train or the biggest long shot Justice League Action, I would have been all over it. Now I'm not sure if I'd want to get an HBO Max subscription. If they can just toss away so many shows, including ones that I really like, for tax write-offs, it's hard to want to support them. Maybe that will change with other future projects, but stuff like this makes it feel less likely to happen for me.
I thought it was but HBO Max rarely add old CN shows, Popeyes shorts, H-B shows and Looney Tunes shorts, so those aren't added since 2020 for H-B shows, Popeyes shorts and Looney Tunes shorts, and 2021 for old CN shows. HBO Max removed some H-B shows and Popeyes shorts last several months ago in March or April 2022.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I'd like to hear your thoughts on these proposals:

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.

Featured Posts