Cartoon Network shows pulled from HBO Max

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Late to the party,

When I first heard "HBO Max removing Cartoon Network shows", my fear was it was stuff like Dexter's Lab and Johnny Bravo. but it appears to be only shows made in the last 5 years ("Uncle Grandpa" being the oldest, I believe). I wonder why older material is safe, but newer material is stuff being purged?

I thought this video did an interesting explaination:

I thought "If you own the property, why would it cost you to leave the property on your streaming platform?", but that seems to suggest they do have to pay some sort of royalty or something (to the show creators?) for it to be on the streaming platform. I don't think it's ratings - even if everyone was watching these shows non-stop, it seems more tied to just the fact that HBO Max is in the middle of a merger, and it costs money to have these shows on the platform (for some reason).

It sucks, because even though we're not watching "OK KO" reruns on the service every day (or every few weeks), it still feels like it should just be there, if we ever do want to watch it again.

EDIT: What are the odds these all get moved to Hulu?

And no, this isn't a grand return to Cable as a broadcast platform. If anything, this reinforces to me that Cartoon Network died when "Steven Universe" ended.

Last edited:

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
I don’t know, all this talk about this removals has really not been good for my health. So unless something else important happens, you won’t see me here or any other of these other threads.

Same here. I'm already dealing with some stuff IRL right now, so this Zaslav BS isn't helping me any. I know that at the end of the day it's just mindless entertainment and I know that the industry will eventually bounce back from this (it always does), but the more I read about this the angrier, sadder and more frustrated I get, and I don't need that right now. The last time my mental health took a hit I had to leave this site for 5 years, and I don't want a repeat of that, so I'll probably just refrain from discussing this topic anymore unless something really big or newsworthy happens.
Yeah, I don't blame you guys. I really don't. The news regarding Warner Bros Discovery for the past couple of weeks has taken a toll on my mental health as well. It's incredibly agonizing, frustrating, and so saddening that is not worth getting angry over this crap. I had enough things to worry about in my life, so I cannot let Zaslav's bulldukies ruined it for me.

Unless there's something huge that is worth discussing, I'm done talking about Warner Bros Discovery(and probably Cartoon Network as a whole).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Yeah, I don't blame you guys. I really don't. The news regarding Warner Bros Discovery for the past couple of weeks has taken a toll on my mental health as well. It's incredibly agonizing, frustrating, and so saddening that is not worth getting angry over this crap. I had enough things to worry about in my life, so I cannot let Zaslav's bulldukies ruined it for me.

Unless there's something huge that is worth discussing, I'm done talking about Warner Bros Discovery(and probably Cartoon Network as a whole).
I'm more in the mindset of staying and fighting. I understand how exhausting this can be. This has been my mindset since at least 2015. But whether it is bad for my mental health or not, fighting this crap and calling it out, and possibly contacting my Congresswoman and Senators is how I deal. I can either give up or be productive. I choose the latter every time. Mostly because since 2015 the world at large literally hasn't given me any other choice.

But as far as feeling like crap about a given subject goes, and pushing on anyways, that's already my deal. Used to it.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
I'm more in the mindset of staying and fighting. I understand how exhausting this can be. This has been my mindset since at least 2015. But whether it is bad for my mental health or not, fighting this crap and calling it out, and possibly contacting my Congresswoman and Senators is how I deal. I can either give up or be productive. I choose the latter every time. Mostly because since 2015 the world at large literally hasn't given me any other choice.

But as far as feeling like crap about a given subject goes, and pushing on anyways, that's already my deal. Used to it.
Sure, I can understand.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Its like @Fone Bone said - I'm looking forward to people, including myself, doing something about this proper. A good start is to stop supporting platforms that self destruct like this. Support those that actually know what they're doing and actually respect your intelligence, in terms of what content they put out. True voting with one's wallet.

Another good one, hard to swallow for most of us as it is? Get politically involved about it on the local and state level (start small before going federal; that's how true populism works.).

You can be "blackpilled" for a little while, but as life goes on, sooner or later? You're gonna gave to take that "white pill" and do something about things that annoy/anger you - by becoming more productive. Just the unfortunate FACTS & TRUTH of what it means to be IRL.

I know I can pretty much tell that WBD's inevitable fate in the coming years won't be a pleasant nor gentle one, without saying too much more than I have yesterday about it, IMHO. Too bad complaining too much about it ain't gonna fix a thing - and it's not like they aren't gonna try to put out some decent new stuff here and there eventually, but still.

Last edited:

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Alright, I had about enough of this after reading this.

I've put together contacts. Share them and use them. Time to let them know what we think!

HBO Max

HBO

WBD

CN president

Chief Content Officer HBO/HBOMax

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
My message to HBO Max:

Alan Zaslav must be fired. He is destroying Warner Discovery. I am very concerned about the creative freedom his choices have been curtailing. I will be contacting my Congressperson and Senators about that this week and I will urge them to create laws protecting creators and their content.

If what Zaslav is doing isn't illegal, it damn well should be.

Markus Nelis

I'm glad CN will bring SCI back. Tells you immediately at least they respect their creators. HBO Max treats them like they were nothing and remove them one by one. I feel like CN will rerun other shows as well that got removed on HBO Max. Not that everything will air but a few selection of shows. So at the end of the day, I'm thankful the linear channel somewhat still exists. Imagine if it didn't!

Markus Nelis

Owen Dennis said this on substack:

No idea. I’m told from various sources that this wasn’t supposed to happen until next week sometime so that Cartoon Network/HBOMax/etc could have time to tell all the show creators and artists what’s going on. That’s obviously not what happened, and now this is where that disorganization has gotten us. Cartoon Network warned them not to do this as it would hurt relationships with creators and talent, but they clearly do not care what any of this looks like publicly, much less about how we feel about it.

Full article.

Mod Note: Double posted merged, Please use edit button instead of double editing. It's an active thread, others will see the edit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Full article.

This is the best article I've read about this. I shared it in an update to my Kos diary. Thank you SO much. Very helpful.

Surreal Kangaroo

Staff member
When I first heard "HBO Max removing Cartoon Network shows", my fear was it was stuff like Dexter's Lab and Johnny Bravo. but it appears to be only shows made in the last 5 years ("Uncle Grandpa" being the oldest, I believe). I wonder why older material is safe, but newer material is stuff being purged?
My theory is that the older that are on there are already been established as fan favorites. Notice they have stuff like Dexter and Ed Edd n Edd, and not shows like Mike, Lu, & Og and Time Squad.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Full article.

That was an interesting article. His anger and confusion over the situation were all completely understandable. That quote that you mentioned earlier also perfectly covers exactly why this was such a stupid move on WB/Discovery's part. Even if they are saving some pocket change by removing these shows, they're just burning so many bridges with their creators. The fact that Cartoon Network warned them not to do this and they did it anyway is really bad too, although sadly not surprising given how they've already cancelled finished products. Was saving money really worth the amount of backlash they've received?

I do like how he's still hopeful for the fate of the series. The fact that the series was trending on Twitter and it's still in the top sales for iTunes does say a lot about its popularity and the money the higher ups could have made off of it. It still might be difficult to pull off, but perhaps a bit more plausible, especially when sales off of iTunes would probably stand out more to higher ups because money talks. As bad as this whole mess has been, at least it has given attention to more series like Infinity Train.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Owen Dennis said this on substack:

Full article.

Mod Note: Double posted merged, Please use edit button instead of double editing. It's an active thread, others will see the edit.
So does this mean that the other CN shows like Fungies, Summer Camp Island, Victor & Valentino, Tig n Seek, and Uncle Grandpa won’t get written off?

5YearsOnEastCoast

It is one thing to remove all of these shows from streaming service, but to remove basically EVERY mention of those shows from social media and practically acting? That is insane. Like why would they do that? Was just deleting all Infinity Train related tweets somehow saving money?

This whole situation is a mess.

Also I noticed that all of those shows that got removed, premiered at some point during last 10 years.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I'd like to hear your thoughts on these proposals:

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.

Featured Posts