Cartoon Series They Should Have Made (but didn't)

pharmmajor

They definitely should have made an animated series based on Calvin and Hobbes. It would have been great.

Joe

Well, personally, I've always preferred the Marx Brothers, but I think one reason why we never got a Laurel & Hardy animated series was because network execs tend to think that kids wouldn't want to watch a cartoon starring adults who aren't superheroes, spies or detectives. Heck, the only way we could get the 3 Stooges on Saturday morning TV was for Hanna-Barbera to turn them into bionic superheroes. There was a New 3 Stooges series of animated shorts, which had a very low budget and the violence was extremely watered down.

I'm fairly glad not many comedians got turned into cartoon shows. They're almost always missing what made the live-action performances funny and usually end up being pale imitations.

Tobias

Who you gonna call?
As popular as Max Headroom was I wonder why there was no animated series?

Because Max Headroom was a one gimmick character who works best in EXTREMELY small doses (Commercials, parodies like they did on Family Matters, etc.). Don't get me wrong, I love the character, but a whole show based around him would get tiresome- fast. That's part of the reason the live action show failed.

Mavericker

I'd like a "Puffy Ami Yumi" cartoon for adults. :sweat:

They should make an action/adventure show about lumberjacks.

Last edited by a moderator:

J. B. Warner

Increasing my wordiness
They definitely should have made an animated series based on Calvin and Hobbes. It would have been great.

I dunno, the characters just seem to work best in the comics medium. Can you imagine some animation studio trying to convert Bill Watterson's lush style into something that fits a TV animation budget? And then there's the matter of voices - what do the characters sound like? Casting characters who thrive in a silent medium is one of the hardest things to do.

And let's not forget that an animated series would fly in the face of Watterson's artistic vision. If the guy wants his comic strip to remain a comic strip, then I say let it stay that way.

Mavericker

Mr. Bill could have worked as a cartoon show-instead of relying on a live-action hand to move the characters around. Would people go for it or would it have been too sadistic?

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
Mr. Bill could have worked as a cartoon show-instead of relying on a live-action hand to move the characters around. Would people go for it or would it have been too sadistic?

Mr. Bill would completely fail as a cartoon. Its' cheapness was part of its' gimmick. All Mr. Bill is is a clay doll getting tossed around and mutilated by a live pair of human hands. How could anyone possibly transfer that into animation?

Mavericker

Mr. Bill would completely fail as a cartoon. Its' cheapness was part of its' gimmick. All Mr. Bill is is a clay doll getting tossed around and mutilated by a live pair of human hands. How could anyone possibly transfer that into animation?

Make the hands characters.

"Hello Mr. Hands."

cyde

That shows how stupid an idea like that is.

Mavericker

Superman Beyond- it could be set-up like Batman Beyond but Kal-El's at the helm instead of Bruce Wayne, and Kal-El takes his young telekinetic clone under his wing.

Of course Superboy is dead-but an adult version of him would have been cool.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Superman Beyond- it could be set-up like Batman Beyond but Kal-El's at the helm instead of Bruce Wayne, and Kal-El takes his young telekinetic clone under his wing.

If Kon-El were an adult, then he wouldn't be SuperBOY, now would he?

I'd like to see Kon-El in animated form, but we wouldn't need another Batman Beyond type show to feature him.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich

No offense, but that's not very original; it's just Batman Beyond with Clark and Conner in Bruce and Terry's shoes. DC/WB doesn't need to clone themselves.

Personally, I'd rather see a Young Justice show.

Emperor Fred

Grand Nabob
Quantum Leap would work as an animated cartoon-they would just tone it down for kids and make it so kids can relate to it.
I remember reading in TV Guide way back in the day that they were planning to do an episode of Quantum Leap where he leaps into a cartoon. This idea obviously never ended up getting off the ground, and I have no idea how they would have pulled it off ("it was all a dream," I suppose), but that's what I heard.

Mavericker

No offense, but that's not very original; it's just Batman Beyond with Clark and Conner in Bruce and Terry's shoes. DC/WB doesn't need to clone themselves.

Personally, I'd rather see a Young Justice show.

I'd like to see a series about an adult Superboy though.

Mavericker

I must repeat: Superboy as an adult would just be SuperMAN. There's be no point.

Also, Superboy's Kryptonian name is Kon-El, not Kal-El.

I know-I was talking about Clark Kent.

Tron would work as a series-a team of heroes trapped in cyberspace fighting in cyberspace to save it and to go home-but that's just going to make people think of "Fat Guy Stuck in Internet." :D lol

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts