Cartoons you find overhated/underrated

AnimatedFan01

On the flip side, where not too long ago I made a thread dedicating to cartoons perceived as overrated, this thread does the exact opposite approach, and focuses on cartoons you find to be or have been unnecessarily hated or not really hated but vastly unappreciated. (I know there may not be too much point to this thread when we already have the unconventional/unpopular opinion thread, but that one isn't limited to just cartoons one finds overrated or underrated, so no big deal.)

Here are my picks for underrated/overhated cartoons:

-Robotboy: As someone who was never fond of My Life as a Teenage Robot (trust me, it was just a teen sitcom in animation with action thrown in), this certainly sufficed for me as a gender-inverse substitute. I honestly feel like the only reason people disliked this show was because of Gus, the obnoxious, crude troublemaker and G-rated Eric Cartman. Well, I'm in the minority of people who found Gus to be pretty darn funny what with his big ego and obsession with food, as well as his voice. While he did get a little unnecessarily gross with his propensity to fart and pick his nose and I didn't like his selfish behavior, he at least made up for it in comedic root. That, and because it rips off many other cartoons (MLaaTR, Megas XLR, South Park for Gus, Foster's for Tommy's square head and hair, and Dexter for Tommy's mom), but who said rip-offs can't be good? Look at Jimmy Neutron, a blatant Dexter ripoff which is regarded as a classic. I mainly liked the episodes that revolved around the kids being kids and wasn't too interested in the antics of the villains, but I'd take enjoyment in watching Robotboy save the day with his spontaneous transformation. Robotboy himself also deserves credit for being cute as a button, yet badass and bold when trouble calls. The only characters I didn't like were Tommy's dad for being stupidly abusive and negligent to his loyal son, and his brother as well for being a jerky teenage bully stereotype who, much like Terrence aka Mac's brother from Foster's, always got his just desserts when meeting his end.

-Squirrel Boy: How ironic of another "boy" cartoon to come up on this list just after the first one. Anyway, I loved the Calvin and Hobbes vibe this show offered with the boy-and-talking-animal concept only the personality roles are reversed (boy is the rational one, animal is the troublemaker). This show did a stellar job at combining childhood naivety with cartoonish antics and slapstick, what with all the zany sound effects and unexpected pratfalls. While Rodney's dynamic with Andy was pretty entertaining, it was really his interactions with Mr. J that made the show. I enjoyed how much he absolutely detested Rodney's guts and wasn't afraid to emphasize his cynicism through sarcasm, and how Rodney intentionally caused him grief in the most comedically painful of ways. Rodney himself was hilarious with his over-the-top craziness and stupidity; he's a perfect example of how jerk characters can be done right with a good amount of consideration (at least he cares about his best friend and owner Andy). Andy was pretty admirable too with his cheerful demeanor and childlike innocence, with a bit of nerdiness to show that he's not so above it all. Leon was a cute lovable doofus in a similar vein to Patrick Star and Ed. Lastly Mr. J was easy to root for because you always pity the annoyance he suffers from an imbecile, just like Squidward and Mr. Wilson. The voice acting was spectacular too - Richard Steven Horvitz meshes his Billy and Dagget inflections to once again portray a hyperactive dimwit, and does it with such a unique vocal range. Pamela Adlon is always good at portraying nerds, and I hear the same talents in Andy which she used for Bobby Hill and Milo Oblong. Red Foreman had just the right deep tone to voice a character as jaded and no-nonsense as Mr. J. My only complaints are the humor felt a little too forced and corny (one episode has Andy visit a fair with Rodney and he remarks, "I don't know why they call this a fair; they should call it an awesome!" but there were enough funny moments to make up for it (I remember the flea market episode where a thought bubble of Andy tells Rodney "Whatever you do Rodney, make sure you spend my 5 dollars on something really stupid" which was hilarious). Also some of the character designs were a bit ugly (especially Kyle the bully's and Andy's crush Martha's) and animation was a bit sluggish, but the colorful artwork and realistic set designs sufficed. The only character I truly hated was Kyle, the big fat bully (at least his bird Salty Mike was somewhat generous).

-My Gym Partner's a Monkey: I feel like had it not been for the butt jokes and horrendous title, this show would have been better-received. It's a shame too, because the show was quite funny in my opinion. Jake the Spidermonkey was hilarious! As with Rodney he's the perfect example of how to do a jerk character right. He's right up there with Bloo. I loved Tom Kenny's voice work as him involving the dramatic and hyperactive SpongeBob-like inflections. While the humor did get a little over-the-top gross with episodes like Bubble or Nothing and The Butt of the Jake, more often than not I found myself laughing at Jake's own obsession with his butt. It's always entertaining to watch Adam's misfortunes of his miserable school life unfurl and how Jake's always winning in the end. Poor guy can never seem to catch a break, though thankfully he's lucky every now and then to end on a high note. Nika Futterman did an impressive job capturing the nerdy, unlucky everydude category Adam was intended to fall under. I loved the unique animal setting designs and how the show did a good job at portraying the type of animal with a matching personality, such as the shark being a bully.

-Johnny Test: At least the earlier seasons; the newer seasons aren't really that good. But early on the show did a pretty good job at portraying childhood mischief with innocent intent. Johnny is a typical boy who likes being cool and everything a kid could dream of, such as expensive toys and superheroes. Dukey was a funny comic relief and I supported his voice of reason; dare I say he was a better talking dog sidekick than Jake? The sisters' obsession with Gil was pretty funny too. I wasn't too fond of the villains and perceived them as obnoxious rather, but at least they'd get their karma at the end. As it became too formulaic and cheesy later on, as well as Johnny becoming more annoying and narcissistic, I eventually lost interest, but the earlier seasons are under-appreciated massively.

-Skunk Fu!: I thought this was a pretty cool show with entertaining action resolutions and character dynamics. While it was pretty lame of them to lazily use the "A Dog Named Dog" trope, the animation wasn't that creative and it didn't have to use so many fart jokes, I found the characters to all be pretty likeable and the stories entertaining.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Look at Jimmy Neutron, a blatant Dexter ripoff which is regarded as a classic.
Jimmy Neutron/Johnny Quasar was developed around the same time as Dexter's Lab, probably even earlier since the design and concept was made in the 80s.
Johnny Test is that Dexter's Lab ripoff.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I always feel that Clarence gets too much hate. It seems like many consider it one of CN’s worst, but I think it’s one of their best. It’s actually heartwarming.
Even though I think Craig of the Creek is better, I stand by THIS oh so much, m8.
BOTH are definitely better than TLH/Casagrandes, which are just mediocrity incarnate with some decent episodes sprinkled in/actually decent, but nothing special respectively.

I will never not stop missing Harvey Beaks/Glitch Techs/Welcome to the Wayne - I'd take those shows being on the air again anyday (as in more seasons/new episodes/rerun airtimes) over TLH/Casagrandes, honestly, in terms of actually underrated/overhated shows, outside of the comparison being made here.

Last edited:

khuddle

"Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes". Possibly a better series than its DC counterpart "Justice League: The Animated Series.". That's how good it was.

Zanneck

My own Underrated/Overhated List of Recommendations (trust me, most of these aren't nearly that beloved/respected as I would like, especially outside of here, besides what I mentioned in my first post that fits the criteria perfectly, IMHO... They're mostly underrated, only a small handful of these get too much hate for their own good, thankfully enough.):

- Penn Zero: PTH
- Randy Cunningham: 9GN
[Hit-or-miss moments aside, THESE TWO shows did something right by making me actually laugh/feel immersed in their simple enough settings & concepts, rather than annoyed & disappointed about 100% like Star Vs. sadly/unfortunately did to me, despite it having so much potential to be better than that ultimately was, too...]

- Littlest Pet Shop (2012) [especially S2 and S3] / AWOO [which I would love to see a S2 of, but it AIN'T ever gonna happen; Oh, well. RIP.]; obvious flaws aside, I enjoyed BOTH far more than the Horse show that isn't Bojack Horseman, which is actually GOOD (BTW) and doesn't talk down to me like I'm dumb for not having a lot of friends IRL (usually for good reasons, too.), IHMO.

- Tuca and Bertie [My concerns aside, I'm glad it's getting a 2md chance at all.]

For obvious choices I won't describe too deeply; as a man of simple taste, they knew how to make me laugh/inject episodic conflict in meaningful ways:
- Pickle & Peanut
- Right Now Kapow!
- Future-Worm!
- Harvey Street Kids/Harvey Girls Forever!
- It's Pony!
- Bless the Harts
- Central Park

- OK K.O.! [Like Craig of the Creek, this was the better thing to come outta Steven Universe (a show I sadly dislike royally for its bad storytelling/mediocre comedy/overuse of anime refs that don't give me anything worth sitting down to that isn't a headache.) being around to unfortunately annoy and/or disappoint me, personally.]

- Final Space [Despite some unfortunate executive meddling in S2, I still look forward to S3 and am proud to have been keeping up with this, since the bery beginning, unlike some people out there.]

- Legend Quest [S1, especially. S2 ruined it, though, so it's understandable why it's sadly forgotten.]

- Costume Quest [This could use another season to really flesh it out more. Sucks that it ain't gonna happen, either.]

- Kitty is NOT a Cat! [the BEST Australian Cartoon I've sat down to; shame it got canned, as I've heard no word on the rest of S2...]

Yeah, in terms of Canadian/outside jurisdiction shows thay are actually good and should have not gone away after 1 season:
- Fangbone!
- Atomic Puppet

- Big City Greens [Yes, you better believe certain types of Amphibia/The Owl House fans hate this show because it's more successful with its target audience than either of those 2 examples are...]

- Home: Adventures of Tip & Oh [actually managed to be decent, unlike the awful movie it's based on, anyway.]

- Sanjay and Craig [for actually being funny when they slow down on the gross-out that did hold it back in S1, honestly.]

- Summer Camp Island [IMHO, if it wasn't for that crappy pilot, this show would be much more beloved, despite how overly cutesy it looks and comes off sometimes...]

- Mighty Magiswords [This show deserved more time to find its groove and a less crappy ending point; speaking of crappy endings - Gumball needs a movie to rectify an equally similar situation, oh so badly, already!]

If I can think of two or more animated sitcoms, besides Bless the Harts [which I'll be sad to say goodbye to if S2 is its unfortunate end.], that could have lasted longer:
- Tarantula [Only one season? COME ON.]
- Dan Vs. [To be fair, it did end on a happy note, despite only being 3 seasons long. Still... UGH.]

Now, I could add more; these are just the most obvious ones that come to into my mind, immediately.

So, once again - thanks for giving me a place to update and vent with this, m8. It always makes me feel better when I have a place to do so...

Last edited:

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
Clutch Cargo. I suppose I’ve historically cared more about detailed drawings than complex movements, so the limited animation doesn’t bother me. It also offers some fairly fun adventure storylines.

Zanneck

If I can think of two more... Because they aren't completely, or in time's passing case, weren't as well recieved as they should have been, compared to what actually was popular to lump worship on when they were around, anyway:

Big Hero 6: TAS [DCSHG (2019), except it actually has an idea of what it's trying to do and say for itself - being a hero and doing the right thing isn't always easy and that strong characters are actually vulnerable ones, at the end of the day - Flaws aside early on, another case of taking something that was already good in a film-based sense and expanding on it with some sense of class, rather than just worrying about getting paid or whatever. Also helps that it is the 2nd best Marvel animated series to come out in the past decade, only outdone by Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, obviously.]

Tangled: TAS [Star Vs., except actually good & endearing in its efforts at what it's aiming to do, honestly. For a continuation of something that didn't seem like it needed it at first glance, it still came and went with an effective beginning, middle, and end like a good story should, IMHO.]

OK, take care.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I find George of the Jungle (2007) overhated. It really didn't deserve the online hatred. The cartoon is absolutely fine and did have its fans. It helps that it is probably one of the least obnoxious Canadian cartoons in the last 15 years. There were barely any (no?) fart jokes.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Me: Officer, arrest that man! He hates Sheep in the Big City and Clone High!

Officer: That's not a crime.

Me: Well, shouldn't it be?

Officer: Hmmm.

On the topic at hand,

Underrated. Disenchantment. I'm going to declare the entire run of Disenchantment underrated. Even the second part (which I didn't like). No way a series with as unusual a heroine as Bean deserves THAT much smack talked about it.

Overrated: Transformers: Generation One. I rewatched this as few years ago and was appalled. My taste as a kid was apparently awful.

Overrated: Scooby Doo, Where Are You? It's not just the fact that it's low quality. I simply do not understand the appeal.

Overrated: The Flintstones. This is about as embarrassingly bad as Scooby Doo, except the fact that it was made for adults (who actually dug it) makes it even more shameful. The Jetsons belongs on this list for the same reason.

Underrated: SilverHawks. I will not deny it's awful. But the imagination involved in the bizarre characters makes it fun. What is up with the yellow robot guy dressed as the Fruit of the Loom grape? Or Smithersesque snake-guy suck up? Or the monster who turns into a giant robot and rides a giant space squid? Or the space cowboy with the guitar? Or the robot alien mime kid? Or the weird little cab driver with the annoying green bird in the backseat? Whatever the creators were smoking was either exceptional, or dangerously brain-frying.

Underrated: The Zeta Project: I will go so far as to say that this hated DCAU series, which is considered only DC Comics adjacent, is actually better than almost any other non Timmverse DC toon. If you had asked me to choose between bringing back Young Justice or The Zeta Project, I would have chosen The Zeta Project without hesitation.

Overrated: The Powerpuff Girls (Original). Cynical, violent, and seems to be written in a smug satirical fashion in which it's actually making fun of the intelligence of its target audience. I was an adult when it came out but the subtext behind every episode screamed out to me "Boy, you kids at home are sure dumb. Especially for liking something that believes you are this stupid."

Overrated: The Smurfs. Although this one is probably a gimme.

Underrated: Transformers: Prime Wars Trilogy. This series is largely despised by the fandom, but I think it has two really good things going for it. It think its version of Megatron is my favorite animated version PERIOD. And I don't know if this will register with the haters, but I hated most of the series too. And yet the series finale was phenomenal. Which tells me a lot of shaky series would probably be looked back on a lot more fondly if they had had a satisfying ending. Prime Wars Trilogy did, and I'd argue it's the second most satisfying Transformers ending after Transformers: Prime.

Overrated: The Critic. Jon Lovitz is one of my most despised celebrities but it's not just him that's the problem. The series is unfathomably mean-spirited. I don't know where Al Jean got off criticizing Family Guy. The Critic's celebrity slams were almost all meaner (and more personal and hurtful) than any nonsense Seth MacFarlane has ever done. Which is a statement considering how cruel MacFarlane actually is. If you had told me Kathy Griffin was the head writer of the show, that wouldn't shock me. That's how mean it is.

Underrated: Rise Of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Best animated Turtles series hands down. Canceled far too quickly and unfairly. It is literally the only Turtles series that wants you to enjoy it. Which leads me to...

Overrated: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2012. Absolutely appalling on every level. If there was a bad storytelling move the producers could make, they made it. It is very hard to believe they got away with making some of the asinine storytelling moves they made without Nickelodeon ever sending the episode back and saying "This is terrible. Try again." Also contains what is for my money the worst animated series finale in television history.

Overrated: Avengers: Black Panther's Quest. Yes, it's actually hated. But it's one of the worst animated series in the past 20 years and probably the worst superhero show ever too. Until that is the common opinion it should be, it's overrated.

Overrated: The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I like it and it contains one of my favorite Hulks ever. But the amount of fan campaigning to get it brought back is ridiculous considering it's not THAT great. Sign me up for the petition for a Wolverine And The X-Men revival instead.

Underrated: Beware The Batman: The CGI animation admittedly sucks (where did everyone in Gotham go?) but I am a little perplexed by its lukewarm reception by fans. It's one of those shows where I can't really pinpoint any real missteps in the arc. Green Lantern: The Animated Series went completely off the rails in the second season so I find it being beloved quite bewildering. BTB was solid the entire time.

Overrated: Goof Troop. Granted, most Disney fans correctly believe it is far inferior to the Disney Afternoon cartoons that came before it. But it's SO bad, it deserves to be ignored by Disney the way WB does the Loonatics and Lucas did The Star Wars Holiday Special.

Underrated: Ultimate Spider-Man. Honestly? All things considered, it's my favorite Spider-Man cartoon. The last season was really great and it's the only Spider-Man cartoon with a great and satisfying ending. I will also argue that it is probably up there as the best Marvel Television era cartoon (although Marvel Rising is excellent too).

Overrated: The Spectacular Spider-Man. I think this series is legitimately badly written. It being beloved sort of alarms me.

Overrated: Young Justice. Unlike Spectacular Spider-Man, this show has numerous virtues. But at the same time, it doesn't play fair with the viewer, so I'm a bit annoyed that it was rewarded for that with a relaunch.

Overrated: DuckTales 2017. Everything I love about the Disney Comics is apparently everything the show hates about them. The producers can claim this is the perfect show for people who think the Disney Ducks are boring. Those of us who actually like the Disney Ducks are poop outta luck.

Underrated: ThunderCats Roar. Truthfully, probably best ThunderCats cartoon period.

Overrated: ThunderCats 2011. Made a lot of missteps. and judging by what we were promised by the producers, the second season would have been absolutely horrible and disgusting. and we were lucky it was canceled when it was.

Underrated: Be Cool Scooby Doo! My favorite version of Daphne ever. I found this cartoon quite likable.

Underrated: The Looney Tunes Show. Kristen Wiig's Lola is a revelation and she is now my favorite Looney Tunes character because of this show. Seriously. THIS SHOW REHABILITATED LOLA BUNNY. Why is it hated? I'd like to see YOU do that.

Overrated: Tiny Toon Adventures. Badly written and embarrassing. And I thought so as a teenager.

Overrated: Buzz Lightyear Of Star Command. Not well loved, but it's so bad, like Goof Troop, I'm shocked Pixar hasn't disavowed it a la Loonatics or The Star Wars Holiday Special. The only animated Disney cartoon with more annoying animated characters than Buzz's supporting cast IS Goof Troop. Because of course it is.

Overrated: Animaniacs TOS. Unlike Tiny Toons, this has SOME virtues (namely the Warners, Slappy, and Pinky And The Brain). But literally every other segment was a dud. And those segments comprised at least half of the show's actual runtime.

Overrated: Ben 10 2017. The fact that this isn't considered the worst Cartoon Network series of all time means it's overpraised.

Overrated: King Of The Hill. Probably the longest running terrible cartoon I can imagine. Most cartoons with characters this unlikable and stupid don't usually last nearly 15 years. It's one of those shows I tolerated as it aired, but each time I see a given episode again, I like it less than the last time I've seen it. Adult Swim made it so I essentially now detest the show.

Overrated: Teen Titans. It's cliched, badly written, and beloved. I don't get it. At all.

Underrated: Teen Titans Go! This series is usually pretty bad. But it's actually FAR better written and performed than the original series. I don't understand people who are happy with the original show but think this sucks.

Underrated: Elena Of Avalor. Underrated? Its fans definitely love it. But a better word for it might be "underseen". Just because it's a preschool show is no reason it's online fandom should be smaller than Tangled: The Series, DuckTales 2017, or Big Hero 6: The Series.

Underrated: Static Shock. Is it my least favorite DCAU series? Yes. Is it still far better than most other non Timmverse DC toons including Young Justice? Yup.

Overrated: Futurama. Futurama in general is an amazing series. But I can never fully enjoy it as long as a character as reprehensible as Bender is given the large role he is. He literally stepped on the bittersweet ending of The Luck Of The Fryish which would have been a perfect episode otherwise. Futurama has a Bender problem and the producers never realized how much worse he made the show.

Underrated: Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures. Yes, everybody loved it at the time, and yes, now it seems a little dated. But it was such a groundbreaking and historic animated show, and nobody seems to remember it anymore, or the careers and tropes it launched. Ren and Stimpy and The Simpsons get a LOT of the credit for adult oriented animation that is actually due this show.

Overrated AND Underrated: Family Guy. The first 50 episodes of the show are some of the worst animation ever created for television. Those episodes routinely appalled me. And many fans consider them the high point of the series. However when Family Guy returned with elaborate musical numbers, breathtaking animated sequences, and hilarious observational voice performances, fans called it far inferior. Like the "Teen Titans Go is SO much worse than Teen Titans!" phenomena, this attitude confuses and perplexes me.

Zorak Masaki

Underrated: Mad, Right Now Kapow, Two More Eggs. These sketch comedy shows could be hit and miss (especially Mad), but when they hit they were hilarious. It's a shame that they all got cancelled, as they had lots of potential.

harry580

Underrated: Mad, Right Now Kapow, Two More Eggs. These sketch comedy shows could be hit and miss (especially Mad), but when they hit they were hilarious. It's a shame that they all got cancelled, as they had lots of potential.
me too, mad is so bad its good

khuddle

@ Fone Bone

Agree: King of the Hill (absolute abomination), Futurama, and Disenchantment

Disagree: Young Justice and Avengers EMH (two great shows); Beware the Batman
and Ultimate Spider Man (both boring and poorly animated).

Zanneck

Me: Officer, arrest that man! He hates Sheep in the Big City and Clone High!

Officer: That's not a crime.

Me: Well, shouldn't it be?

Officer: Hmmm.

On the topic at hand,

Underrated. Disenchantment. I'm going to declare the entire run of Disenchantment underrated. Even the second part (which I didn't like). No way a series with as unusual a heroine as Bean deserves THAT much smack talked about it.

Overrated: Transformers: Generation One. I rewatched this as few years ago and was appalled. My taste as a kid was apparently awful.

Overrated: Scooby Doo, Where Are You? It's not just the fact that it's low quality. I simply do not understand the appeal.

Overrated: The Flintstones. This is about as embarrassingly bad as Scooby Doo, except the fact that it was made for adults (who actually dug it) makes it even more shameful. The Jetsons belongs on this list for the same reason.

Underrated: SilverHawks. I will not deny it's awful. But the imagination involved in the bizarre characters makes it fun. What is up with the yellow robot guy dressed as the Fruit of the Loom grape? Or Smithersesque snake-guy suck up? Or the monster who turns into a giant robot and rides a giant space squid? Or the space cowboy with the guitar? Or the robot alien mime kid? Or the weird little cab driver with the annoying green bird in the backseat? Whatever the creators were smoking was either exceptional, or dangerously brain-frying.

Underrated: The Zeta Project: I will go so far as to say that this hated DCAU series, which is considered only DC Comics adjacent, is actually better than almost any other non Timmverse DC toon. If you had asked me to choose between bringing back Young Justice or The Zeta Project, I would have chosen The Zeta Project without hesitation.

Overrated: The Powerpuff Girls (Original). Cynical, violent, and seems to be written in a smug satirical fashion in which it's actually making fun of the intelligence of its target audience. I was an adult when it came out but the subtext behind every episode screamed out to me "Boy, you kids at home are sure dumb. Especially for liking something that believes you are this stupid."

Overrated: The Smurfs. Although this one is probably a gimme.

Underrated: Transformers: Prime Wars Trilogy. This series is largely despised by the fandom, but I think it has two really good things going for it. It think its version of Megatron is my favorite animated version PERIOD. And I don't know if this will register with the haters, but I hated most of the series too. And yet the series finale was phenomenal. Which tells me a lot of shaky series would probably be looked back on a lot more fondly if they had had a satisfying ending. Prime Wars Trilogy did, and I'd argue it's the second most satisfying Transformers ending after Transformers: Prime.

Overrated: The Critic. Jon Lovitz is one of my most despised celebrities but it's not just him that's the problem. The series is unfathomably mean-spirited. I don't know where Al Jean got off criticizing Family Guy. The Critic's celebrity slams were almost all meaner (and more personal and hurtful) than any nonsense Seth MacFarlane has ever done. Which is a statement considering how cruel MacFarlane actually is. If you had told me Kathy Griffin was the head writer of the show, that wouldn't shock me. That's how mean it is.

Underrated: Rise Of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Best animated Turtles series hands down. Canceled far too quickly and unfairly. It is literally the only Turtles series that wants you to enjoy it. Which leads me to...

Overrated: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2012. Absolutely appalling on every level. If there was a bad storytelling move the producers could make, they made it. It is very hard to believe they got away with making some of the asinine storytelling moves they made without Nickelodeon ever sending the episode back and saying "This is terrible. Try again." Also contains what is for my money the worst animated series finale in television history.

Overrated: Avengers: Black Panther's Quest. Yes, it's actually hated. But it's one of the worst animated series in the past 20 years and probably the worst superhero show ever too. Until that is the common opinion it should be, it's overrated.

Overrated: The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I like it and it contains one of my favorite Hulks ever. But the amount of fan campaigning to get it brought back is ridiculous considering it's not THAT great. Sign me up for the petition for a Wolverine And The X-Men revival instead.

Underrated: Beware The Batman: The CGI animation admittedly sucks (where did everyone in Gotham go?) but I am a little perplexed by its lukewarm reception by fans. It's one of those shows where I can't really pinpoint any real missteps in the arc. Green Lantern: The Animated Series went completely off the rails in the second season so I find it being beloved quite bewildering. BTB was solid the entire time.

Overrated: Goof Troop. Granted, most Disney fans correctly believe it is far inferior to the Disney Afternoon cartoons that came before it. But it's SO bad, it deserves to be ignored by Disney the way WB does the Loonatics and Lucas did The Star Wars Holiday Special.

Underrated: Ultimate Spider-Man. Honestly? All things considered, it's my favorite Spider-Man cartoon. The last season was really great and it's the only Spider-Man cartoon with a great and satisfying ending. I will also argue that it is probably up there as the best Marvel Television era cartoon (although Marvel Rising is excellent too).

Overrated: The Spectacular Spider-Man. I think this series is legitimately badly written. It being beloved sort of alarms me.

Overrated: Young Justice. Unlike Spectacular Spider-Man, this show has numerous virtues. But at the same time, it doesn't play fair with the viewer, so I'm a bit annoyed that it was rewarded for that with a relaunch.

Overrated: DuckTales 2017. Everything I love about the Disney Comics is apparently everything the show hates about them. The producers can claim this is the perfect show for people who think the Disney Ducks are boring. Those of us who actually like the Disney Ducks are poop outta luck.

Underrated: ThunderCats Roar. Truthfully, probably best ThunderCats cartoon period.

Overrated: ThunderCats 2011. Made a lot of missteps. and judging by what we were promised by the producers, the second season would have been absolutely horrible and disgusting. and we were lucky it was canceled when it was.

Underrated: Be Cool Scooby Doo! My favorite version of Daphne ever. I found this cartoon quite likable.

Underrated: The Looney Tunes Show. Kristen Wiig's Lola is a revelation and she is now my favorite Looney Tunes character because of this show. Seriously. THIS SHOW REHABILITATED LOLA BUNNY. Why is it hated? I'd like to see YOU do that.

Overrated: Tiny Toon Adventures. Badly written and embarrassing. And I thought so as a teenager.

Overrated: Buzz Lightyear Of Star Command. Not well loved, but it's so bad, like Goof Troop, I'm shocked Pixar hasn't disavowed it a la Loonatics or The Star Wars Holiday Special. The only animated Disney cartoon with more annoying animated characters than Buzz's supporting cast IS Goof Troop. Because of course it is.

Overrated: Animaniacs TOS. Unlike Tiny Toons, this has SOME virtues (namely the Warners, Slappy, and Pinky And The Brain). But literally every other segment was a dud. And those segments comprised at least half of the show's actual runtime.

Overrated: Ben 10 2017. The fact that this isn't considered the worst Cartoon Network series of all time means it's overpraised.

Overrated: King Of The Hill. Probably the longest running terrible cartoon I can imagine. Most cartoons with characters this unlikable and stupid don't usually last nearly 15 years. It's one of those shows I tolerated as it aired, but each time I see a given episode again, I like it less than the last time I've seen it. Adult Swim made it so I essentially now detest the show.

Overrated: Teen Titans. It's cliched, badly written, and beloved. I don't get it. At all.

Underrated: Teen Titans Go! This series is usually pretty bad. But it's actually FAR better written and performed than the original series. I don't understand people who are happy with the original show but think this sucks.

Underrated: Elena Of Avalor. Underrated? Its fans definitely love it. But a better word for it might be "underseen". Just because it's a preschool show is no reason it's online fandom should be smaller than Tangled: The Series, DuckTales 2017, or Big Hero 6: The Series.

Underrated: Static Shock. Is it my least favorite DCAU series? Yes. Is it still far better than most other non Timmverse DC toons including Young Justice? Yup.

Overrated: Futurama. Futurama in general is an amazing series. But I can never fully enjoy it as long as a character as reprehensible as Bender is given the large role he is. He literally stepped on the bittersweet ending of The Luck Of The Fryish which would have been a perfect episode otherwise. Futurama has a Bender problem and the producers never realized how much worse he made the show.

Underrated: Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures. Yes, everybody loved it at the time, and yes, now it seems a little dated. But it was such a groundbreaking and historic animated show, and nobody seems to remember it anymore, or the careers and tropes it launched. Ren and Stimpy and The Simpsons get a LOT of the credit for adult oriented animation that is actually due this show.

Overrated AND Underrated: Family Guy. The first 50 episodes of the show are some of the worst animation ever created for television. Those episodes routinely appalled me. And many fans consider them the high point of the series. However when Family Guy returned with elaborate musical numbers, breathtaking animated sequences, and hilarious observational voice performances, fans called it far inferior. Like the "Teen Titans Go is SO much worse than Teen Titans!" phenomena, this attitude confuses and perplexes me.
I don't agree with everything here, but I love what I'm hearing. So much respect for you, m8.

Zanneck

I agree with you on Right Now Kapow!, if not much else. That show was too damn good for Disney and too good to last, once it truly found its proper bearings, honestly.

Eurbane

I love Mad, It's my favorite show.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts