Cartoons You Wish You Paid More Attention to as a Kid

AnimatedFan01

There are many cartoons that aired during my childhood which I appreciate today but regretfully didn't pay much attention to as a kid when they were airing or at least early in reruns. Either I never saw them, only vaguely remember them, didn't care to watch them and just changed the channel or wandered out of the room to do something else, or ignored them and just used them as background noise since I wasn't interested. Here's my rundown of such cartoons, separated by network:

Cartoon Network

Cartoon Network was pretty much a staple in my early-to-mid childhood (ages 4-7) household. It was mainly used as filler or background noise when my family couldn't find something else good on TV. However, the only originals I went out of my way to watch were Foster's, Billy and Mandy, Ben 10 (which I think I mainly just liked for the visuals and the toys; I don't remember watching much of the Season 1 DVD I had gotten for my 6th birthday), and Chowder. As for non-originals, I remember becoming hooked on Skunk Fu! for some reason around the time it premiered and eventually The Mr. Men Show (I lost interest in SF! by the time it disappeared from the schedule and in TMMS about several months before it too disappeared). I think Tickle-U is what got me into CN in the first place, since I would regularly watch Peppa Pig, Little Robots, and Gordon the Garden Gnome before preschool. Oh, and I was allowed to watch Adult Swim from an early age, pretty much every night, as long as I didn't repeat anything I saw (which I never did), with Family Guy being my earliest memory from the block.

Anyway, with the four originals I regularly watched being addressed, here are the ones I wish I paid attention to more:

-Ed, Edd 'n Eddy: At most I found the show okay and used it as filler for Foster's or B&M. One thing I didn't like even as a kid was Ed's antics. I found his behavior annoying at times and thought there was something mentally wrong with him (as I grew older I began to tolerate him a lot more and saw the funny in him, though I still stand by some of my original opinions on him). The only episodes I remember seeing during my childhood which I can cite are One Plus One Equals Ed and Knock Knock, Who's Ed?.

-Camp Lazlo: I was really ambivalent to it as a kid. The first time I remember seeing the show was when I was getting ready for school one morning and the Halloween episode was on. I liked that it reminded me of SpongeBob and used some of the same background music as it, but at the same time there was something grating about the characters and pacing that turned me off. Anyway, it wasn't even one I would sit down to watch, mainly it would just play in the background as I preoccupied myself with something else. Now that I look back, I realize there's a lot from the show that I should have appreciated more as a kid but didn't, especially since it was basically SpongeBob at summer camp but with non-aquatic animals.

-My Gym Partner's a Monkey: The only episodes I remember "seeing" during its run were "Shiny Thing" and the one with Adam on the football team. I'm surprised I didn't recognize Jake Spidermonkey as having the same VA as SpongeBob. If I'd recognized it back then, I'm sure I would have been more drawn to the show. Otherwise, the theme song was the only thing that really stuck out for me when I was young. There was something that turned me off slightly about the show and it wasn't Jake's obsession with his butt (oh please, I found butt humor hilarious as a kid; when Shin-Chan danced with his butt showing I'd burst out laughing). As with Lazlo, MGPaM is one of those shows I appreciated more as I got older, and realized I overlooked a lot of positives during its run.

-Squirrel Boy: Now I'm not sure I even watched this one at all during its run or brief rerun time, as I literally have zero memories of seeing even a glimpse of it on TV. I was definitely aware of the show's existence though externally, to some extent, as I remember seeing a Spot the Block commercial around 2007 which started with Billy and Mandy on the couch with Billy eating chips, then it transitioned into a song with various CN characters across the screen, one of whom was Rodney. Additionally, when McDonald's was having the CN tie-in around the same year, I remember seeing the commercials which showed the Rodney and Leon toys, and also saw the show's title in the toy display stand inside McDonald's which showed said toys, though I vaguely recognized it if at all (I don't remember getting any of the toys beside the Bloo and Wilt ones, and the Gym Partner Bull Shark one time). Anyway, I became hooked on the series after searching it online several years later and appreciated it as an underrated gem; I've watched all the episodes and memorize all the lines to a good amount of them.

-Class of 3000: I'm not sure if I even remember when it was airing at all, but since it was rather short-lived and never reran after its final episode due to legal issues, I sure wish I'd cared enough to have seen it while it was still airing rather than finding out about it long after. Okay, truth be told, I still haven't watched a single episode of it today (though I've seen several brief clips from CN promos and commercial breaks), but having gotten the chance to see it back then would have added to the quality due to the nostalgia.

-Flapjack: I very vaguely remember seeing it at the premiere of its run. All I remember was a Nood bumper taking place at the grocery store with Captain K'nuckles on a conveyor belt with a bunch of bottles of maple syrup. That, and a bumper parodying the Tootsie Pop commercial. It wasn't until a year after its premiere that I finally saw a full episode. The first time I saw it, my impression was low, as I was turned off by the dark and washed out artwork, and the over-reliance on gross-out and disturbing close-ups. As I got older, while I do stand by my main gripes with the show as a kid, I think it complemented the pirate-y feel, and I overall view Flapjack as a great combination of Chowder with SpongeBob with Courage with Ren and Stimpy.

Nickelodeon

Truth be told, I was probably more of a Nickelodeon and Disney kid than a CN one, which is probably why I didn't care enough for a majority of CN's originals. SpongeBob was the first show I remember seeing and it has been a longtime favorite of mine since toddlerhood. And of course the Nick Jr. block also catered to my viewing of the channel with Blue's Clues, Oswald, Oobi, Franklin, and Little Bear. Aside from SpongeBob and Nick Jr., my main interests in the channel also came from The Fairly OddParents, Jimmy Neutron, and later, for a brief period, ChalkZone. But here are the ones I missed out on:

-Rugrats: Despite hearing so much about it and it still playing in reruns by the time I was in preschool, I barely remember seeing it outside of the movies for it which my mom rented for me from Hollywood Video, and the morning it played on the Super Stuffed Nicktoons Weekend in 2007. Apparently nobody in my family liked the show and outright disliked it. Not sure why.

-Danny Phantom: It was still airing when I started school. I barely remember watching it, but I remember comparing it to Ben 10. I guess I was never home when it was showing.

Disney Channel

Actually, I've seen pretty much every 2000s DC original cartoon, only some I cared to watch more than others. The only one I barely remember seeing was The Buzz on Maggie, which I only remembered the title and main character design from. As I later saw it post-cancelation, first I liked it, now, not so much.

Other (preschool shows)

-PB&J Otter: I'm not sure if it was even playing reruns by the time I was in preschool, but my two older siblings remember the show more than I do, and after having watched it on YouTube, I'd wish I had seen it during the period of my childhood which I remember.

I'm sure there are a few others but I wanted to get the ones from the top of my head. It's even more frustrating to me when I can't tell if I even saw a show during its run but still get the same nostalgia from it as other shows that were airing which I do remember. If it's a show I still don't care for to this day but was airing during my childhood, then I don't feel the slightest nostalgia for it. But if it's a show I actually enjoy but have no memories of seeing during its run, I do feel the nostalgia, which gives me the impression that I *may* have seen the show at least partially but the memories are locked far away in my head (if what I've heard from research is correct, once an old long-forgotten memory pops into your head, there's a specific receptor in your brain which can differentiate whether it was real or made-up).

Last edited:

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
Recess: when it originally came on One Saturday Morning, I wanted to watch it but I barely got the chance (long story). By the time reruns came to Disney/Toon Disney, I was going through a phase where if it wasn’t Ed Edd n Eddy or Kids Next Door, I didn’t care.

Nick Jr: I almost never watched Nick outside of Nick @ Nite on occasion until the summer I headed into 3rd grade. I was too old for preschool shows. I feel out of the loop since I have no nostalgia for Nick.

Phineas and Ferb: okay, so I wasn’t exactly a kid but bear with me. I saw the show about a dozen or so times early on and liked it. Like there was legitimacy a point where I had it in my top 10 favorite cartoons. But then I started college, stuff got in the way, and I never really saw the show since then. I keep feeling like I should check it out again.

Kim Possible: this show totally slipped under my radar. I only saw it a handful of times, but I know it was good and I should have checked it out more,

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
I would say the only cartoon that I wish I paid attention to was My Little Pony Friendship is Magic. If I were to watch it when it first came out on The Hub in 2010, that I would've got into it much earlier than 2013.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
I wish I paid more attention to various cartoons and anime that were aired on Saturday morning blocks Kids WB and 4KidsTV. Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Jackie Chan Adventures, Xiaolin Showdown, Spectacular Spider-Man, Sonic X, Kirby: Right Back at Ya!, and TMNT 2003. I didn’t watch Saturday blocks that frequently as I’d usually sleep in on the weekend and at the time in the Early-Mid 2000’s I almost always gravitated to Nick to watch TV instead of the broadcast networks that usually aired News and adult live action content. Since Vortexx ended I highly regret not watching Saturday blocks that often. Similarly I wish I had payed more attention to Cartoon Network in the Early-Mid 2000’s especially since Nick has fallen out of my favor.

Pooky

Staff member
I wish I'd been aware of Hamtaro when it was on in the UK, because it's something I know my mother, grandmother and I would have enjoyed watching together.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I don't have any examples. My interest in cartoons has always been steady and accurate and I have yet to come across a "hidden gem" from the 1980's I've missed. Every decent cartoon from the 1980's is one I already saw as a kid.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
Here’s another one I can think of. I was already graduating from high school at this point but when Harvey Beaks and Star vs. the Forces of Evil came out I ended up paying more attention to Star vs. early on. Though I appreciated the production values in Harvey Beaks I was more drawn to Star vs. the Forces of Evil because it looked more epic and I found Star Butterfly hot. That and I was still in the mindset that networks would still air a variety of shows so I thought given how well received Harvey I was falsely confident it would be fine and I could watch reruns of it later when Nick (never) aired them. Stupid me…

I really wish I put my focus on Harvey Beaks early on to give it the support It needed that and Star vs. has fallen out of my favor. I feel partially responsible for it’s tragic demise. I also felt partially responsible for why Nick is corporate and overzealous with cash cow franchises because I used to collect SpongeBob and Fairly Odd Parents DVD’s as a kid and some other merchandise so I regret putting too much support into shows that no longer appeal to me. But this was when I was a stupid kid when I thought cartoons only existed for quick gags and nothing else, not appreciating the art that goes into them.

Though I knew about TV shows getting screwed over before and networks over relying on cash cow shows, it was Harvey Beaks that made me understand this situation a lot more because sadly since then it’s become an even bigger practice among networks and even streaming services.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
A few more came to mind:

Sailor Moon: I can count on one hand the number of times I saw it on Toonami. I’ve been watching it on Hulu (granted a different dub), I have been liking it. I wish it was part of my growing up.

Basically any Saturday morning lineup: I was a kid in the ‘90’s so I basically would have been the last generation to see a strong Saturday morning presence on broadcast networks. But I rarely did. I wanted to watch One Saturday Morning, but my dad would normally change the channel (he would rather me watch channels he was familiar with), and I sort of watched Kids WB when I was going through a Pokémon phase, and an even lesser extent Fox Kids with Digimon.

ToonsJazzLover

Most of the Nicktoons during the mid-late 2000s. Although I wasn't into ATLA as a kid, the other Nicktoons (which were episodic) deserved much better and I didn't watch much of them since I was still obsessed with SpongeBob. So, even though I blame SB fans for refusing to check out new Nick shows, I was once guilty of this too. Now, I'm more alert to promoting new shows on my second Twitter account.

Also, I Missed out on a bunch of Disney cartoons (especially the 80s/90s ones) when I was a kid, since they were limited to Toon Disney (which I barely watched when it was still around) rather than on Disney Channel. So that means the only pre-2000 Disney cartoons I grew up watching were The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, The Little Mermaid, Timon and Pumbaa, and Recess.

Sam the Cartoonist

MLP: FIM -- I didn't start watching it until late 2014 after season 4 ended and The Hub became Discovery Family. Though I still followed the show for most of its run, I missed out on it during its height of popularity.

Phineas and Ferb: I had been regularly watching it since its beginning, but I stopped keeping up with it during the final year of its run and, to this day, haven't watched the finale since that would make me feel obliged to rewatch the show in general which I don't feel like doing at the moment.

I also wish that I watched the 4kids/CW4kids/Toonzai block more often during the late 2000s and early 2010s. Ditto for the Kids WB during the last two years of its existence.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
One that comes to mind for me is Arthur. When it started, I was just phasing out of preschool shows, but not entirely. Still, since I was in either kindergarten or first grade when it started, the only time I could really see it was at 5:30, and around the time it really caught on, the show was up against Toonami. And I'm sorry, but against Goku, you lose, every time.

What I have seen, back then and now, could be pretty clever and sweet, but it's never going to be a series that I especially react to as I missed it during the best time for me to regularly see the series. Ah well, I do appreciate that it was there for many other kids, the vast majority of them at least a little younger than me.

Zorak Masaki

The DCAU. I watched B:TAS in its first couple of seasons, but I checked out around the time it moved to Saturday Mornings as the Adventures of Batman and Robin. Didnt finish watching the entire series until it reran on the Hub. Same thing with Superman: TAS which I never watched until reruns and I still havent seen any of Static Shock or the Zeta Project. I did get back into it hardcore around the time of Justice League though, but I wish I had seen all of the shows at the time they were airing, would have been more rewarding.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
One big one that springs to mind is Sonic The Hedgehog aka Sonic SatAM. After my folks got me Sonic 2 when I was a kid I was (and still am) HUGE into Sonic and not only wanted to actually finish that game properly but get into more aspects of the fandom. Which wound up including the two cartoons airing. I remember watching a lot of Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog and managing to find out when that was properly airing and catch a lot of the episodes as itw as coming out, but was shock and blind sided there was ANOTHER Sonic Cartoon coming out. One that had a totally different tone and plot and characters to it. I should point out that I guess this is a technical "cheat" on what the topic's talking about since Sonic SatAM was a show I got quickly invested in mostly due to Sonic. Hell I remember having a tape recorder to record like the opening intro and listening to that tons of time as a kid but I was never able to fully find out what the schedule is or when a lot of the new episodes came out so as a result it's a show I never fully caught as a kid. I know I saw a few episodes but there's quite a lot I missed especially what wound up being the series finale "Doomsday Project". I guess in hindsight I might of been like super ticked off watching that and then finding out "oh they aren't going to make a third season due to low ratings" but as big as I was into Sonic I always considered it a shame I never got into SatAM and watched it as regularly as I should. To at least pay attention more when new episodes were coming out.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
One that comes to mind for me is Arthur. When it started, I was just phasing out of preschool shows, but not entirely. Still, since I was in either kindergarten or first grade when it started, the only time I could really see it was at 5:30, and around the time it really caught on, the show was up against Toonami. And I'm sorry, but against Goku, you lose, every time.

What I have seen, back then and now, could be pretty clever and sweet, but it's never going to be a series that I especially react to as I missed it during the best time for me to regularly see the series. Ah well, I do appreciate that it was there for many other kids, the vast majority of them at least a little younger than me.
I wouldn’t really call Arthur a preschool show though. Heck, I was in 1st grade when it premiered and I watched it fairly regularly until 5th (or possibly 6th) grade. It’s totally fine if you wanted to watch Toonami, but I think it’s unfair to say it was too young for you.

Anyways, a show I wish I paid more attention to was Avatar The Last Airbender. At the time, I was in high school and I didn’t watch Nick. I think I saw like half an episode when a cousin was at my house and that was it. I remember it being popular on sites like these, so I knew it had to be good. I never saw it until it came to Netflix.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I wouldn’t really call Arthur a preschool show though. Heck, I was in 1st grade when it premiered and I watched it fairly regularly until 5th (or possibly 6th) grade. It’s totally fine if you wanted to watch Toonami, but I think it’s unfair to say it was too young for you.
I'll be honest, I tend to associate all PBS Kids shows with the preschool demographic, and I recall Arthur airing primarily during those hours. In hindsight, it appears that it does skew a bit older, you're right, although I think it's still meant for a slightly younger demographic than Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network's general programming.

Regardless, I meant no ill will by the "pre-school" term, as those series can be of quality. I was also a little old for Blues Clues and Bear in the Big Blue House, but I could and still recognize that those were good shows for their demographic, and even beyond. Not Dora, though. And clearly, Arthur still resonates with plenty well outside its target demographic, like many of the best cartoons.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Avatar: The Last Airbender. No, seriously because I didn't really watch the show back when it was still on Nickelodeon in the UK and would only watch it when it first became available on Netflix UK back in 2013.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Avatar: The Last Airbender. No, seriously because I didn't really watch the show back when it was still on Nickelodeon in the UK and would only watch it when it first became available on Netflix UK back in 2013.
When it was new, it aired on Saturday mornings here, during my swimming lessons. Once it became popular, I never really paid attention to it. I only watched it in 2016 and loved it :')

MrBabySpencer

What a Mess (DiC version): I wish I would've paid more attention to this as a kid, I almost got the Christmas Mess DVD, but it never came to our door. I watched it again in full episodes starting this year, and it's a pretty good show to me. I wish I would've caught as a kid on Toon Disney, considering it did air reruns there.

Class of 3000: I remember playing the music game on CN's website back when I was in School in 2006/2007. Though I never was interested in watching the show. Now looking back, and hearing all the positive reception the show got, wish I would've got to watch it as a kid. Still looking for it now.

Sym-Bionic Titan: I eventually watched on Netflix, but wish I would've caught it earlier when I was a preteen/teen. I was so into Adult Swim, and only a couple of Cartoons aimed at kids, that I didn't watch that much shows during this time. I remember catching only a clip of this show when it was on, but never saw too much.

Yogi's Treasure Hunt: I wish I would've had Boomerang a lot earlier as a kid, So I would've been able to watch this Yogi Bear show, Cause I heard this one had pretty positive reception and it was one of the few Yogi Bear material I didn't watch as a kid. I've watched a few episodes now, and they're pretty great.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
When it was new, it aired on Saturday mornings here, during my swimming lessons. Once it became popular, I never really paid attention to it. I only watched it in 2016 and loved it :')
Not to mention that for me, the only episodes I saw when I was a kid was "The Southern Air Temple" (the episode in which Aang realises that he is the last Airbender as well as the Zuko vs. Zhao Agni Kai) and "The Chase" (the episode in which Aang, Katara, Sokka, Toph, Zuko and Iroh confront Azula in the climax only for Azula to escape) as well as seeing The Last Airbender before seeing the entire series on Netflix when it was first available during the streaming service's launch in early 2012.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts