Shows You Assumed Were More Popular

Pooky

Staff member
My perception is that if you were in the target audience at the time, or a parent or sibling of someone who was, there's a good chance you're familiar with shows like Prime, Animated and the Unicron trilogy, but only the Original series and the live action movies are really recognisable to the general public. A possible exception is Beast Wars, but that didn't seem to help Rise of the Beasts that much.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
My perception is that if you were in the target audience at the time, or a parent or sibling of someone who was, there's a good chance you're familiar with shows like Prime, Animated and the Unicron trilogy, but only the Original series and the live action movies are really recognisable to the general public. A possible exception is Beast Wars, but that didn't seem to help Rise of the Beasts that much.
Yes, exactly, this is also my impression. As controversial / hated as Beast Wars was, I think it was still quite popular compared to all of the Transformers series that came after it.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Maybe it's because that was the primary Transformers series of my childhood (give or take Armada, or Robots in Disguise's brief run), but Beast Wars has always seemed to me to be the only series close to the original 80s Transformers in popularity. Not nearly on that level, but a reasonably popular series from the time.

I wasn't in the target demo, but I was a fan of Transformers Animated and it did appear to be somewhat popular, but hardly as generation-defining as the original.

Vuxovich

Judging by Christy Hui's words, XIaolin Showdown's spin-off Xiaolin Chronicles was a ratings hit. But the Disney XD broadcast was cut short after 20 episodes. Weird (in my opinion).

JoeMabbon

Robot Clone
I'm gonna cheat and talk about film franchises. Right before Despicable Me 2 came out, I labored under the mistaken view that Despicable Me and Megamind were roughly equal in popularity. I was very wrong.

Speaking of Unkitty, I didn't expect the Lego Movie franchise to burn out so quickly.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
This one isn't a cartoon, but it's got puppets, so it's cartoon-adjacent:

When Muppets Tonight was airing on ABC, I thought that the show was doing well, until a read an issue of TV Guide that had a list of shows that would or wouldn't be returning the following season and Muppets Tonight was listed under the heading of "Probably Gone".

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts