Shows That Are Seen In A Better Light Nowadays

doglover44

Uncle Grandpa. I remember back when it first came in 2013, a lot of people were tearing that show apart, to the point it was consider the worst thing they ever seen in their lives. Sadly, I was guilty of too, and as a young lad, I was influenced by other people's opinions.

Uncle Grandpa came out around the time when story driven animation on cable was at the height of their popularity like Adventure Time and Gravity Falls. Something as episodic and wacky as Uncle Grandpa didn't really dig with a lot of people.

As I got older, I did watch Uncle Grandpa myself, and I thought it was not that bad. It was pretty good. Sure, it can be weird and out there at times, but at least this show wasn't afraid to be silly and goofy. I'm glad that people are warmed up to it now since it does feel like a classic Cartoon Cartoon in a modern era, which something Cartoon Network didn't do nowadays.

I'm sure there's more shows I can think of, but I'll get back to it eventually.
I remember When Uncle Grandpa came out didnt care for it

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
To be perfectly honest, I think some of this reappraisal might be BECAUSE of backlash against YouTube cartoon reviewers. There's been a pretty sizable anti-Mr. Enter backlash ever since his Turning Red review, and now it's fashionable to praise shows he and others did reviews for.

I've noticed a lot more praise for Seasons 4 and on of both Spongebob and Family Guy, plum Mr. Enter targets in the past. There was a time for much of the last decade where post-revival Family Guy was one of the internet's punching bags, and that's died down quite a bit.
People are turning their backs on ''Critics'' Like En-Dork??? Good. I'd call him something much meaner if it wasn't against the rules. The guy was bad news from the very beginning.

Sam the Cartoonist

While fans now regard Spongebob season 3 as the best season due to the number of classic episodes it spawned like The Idiot Box and The Camping Episode, back when it was airing, it was widely considered a downgrade from the first two seasons. The half-hour specials were particularly hated like Spongebob's House Party and The Sponge Who Could Fly (to be fair, to this day, they're still pretty weak episodes from the pre-movie era).

Ace

Ace
I agree with The Looney Tunes Show, that's a good example. I understand why certain diehard fans of the original cartoons weren't happy with this take, and I was initially somewhat on their side, but it's endured well as its own take.

And as a fan of the franchise, I think it's worth lauding for doing more to keep the characters relevant with today's generation than anything in the previous decade.

Right, I think that's the case for later Simpsons, SpongeBob and Family Guy seasons having positive reappraisals, as younger fans start making their voices known, they'll keep rooting for their peak years as fans. I keep saying that I don't believe Mr. Enter and his ilk have the kind of influence their followers think they do.

For instance, I saw recently that an animation YouTuber was supposedly negative on "Bobby Goes Nuts" from King of the Hill, and that there's apparent backlash to the episode. I haven't seen or heard of that elsewhere, it's still easily the most beloved episode of the series (THAT'S MY PURSE! I DON'T KNOW YOU!) and it's likely going to stay that way regardless of one contrary opinion.
I understand TLTS. I think the show's first season could be quite boring at times but they improved a bit in the second.

Kind of also like Ed Edd n Eddy which was hated at first (reading some of the reviews and discussion at the time) but it's understandable considering the show was very rough in it's first season. I probably would have hated it if it kept at the same exact quality in the first initial batch of episodes.

Spongebob I think was pretty well liked from the start and just grew in popularity.

First impressions matter a lot. Perhaps even too much. Especially seeing the number of shows which only last 1-2 seasons because they failed to make a good impression on the audience.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
I understand TLTS. I think the show's first season could be quite boring at times but they improved a bit in the second.

Kind of also like Ed Edd n Eddy which was hated at first (reading some of the reviews and discussion at the time) but it's understandable considering the show was very rough in it's first season. I probably would have hated it if it kept at the same exact quality in the first initial batch of episodes.

First impressions matter a lot.
Perhaps even too much. Especially seeing the number of shows which only last 1-2 seasons because they failed to make a good impression on the audience.
Yeah, that's kinda how I felt about OK KO back when it first came out. I was very apprehensive about OK KO at first because the art style threw me off and I'm not too crazy about its concept and characters. It wasn't until the Crossover Nexus hype in late 2018 where I warmed up to the show and became my all-time favorites.

I agree that first impressions matter, especially when either the marketing team or the showrunners are completely disconnected from the products they were trying to sell to. If the marketing was bad or the shows themselves was bad, then of course, it's gonna leave a bad first impression on a lot of viewers.

However, there are some cases where the shows does improves as time went on on their second or third season. Just like what happened with every show, really.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
It was never "hated" by a long shot, but Cybersix apparently has enough nostalgic attention to justify a Blu-ray release after the DVD release from Discotek media. Not bad for a cartoon from Canada that got animated in Japan based on a comic strip from Argentina that got cancelled after a single run on Fox Kids in 1999!

Yeah.

DeanBurrito25

One example of this would definitely be The Looney Tunes Show. I was here in 2011 when that series premiered on Cartoon Network and there were folks here who straight-up hated it. One member went so far as to declare TLTS to be "the worst thing that the studio has ever produced" (Clearly, this person hasn't seen Loonatics Unleashed or Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain). Fast forward to now, there are people on YouTube who proudly declare that The Looney Tunes Show was the G.O.A.T. (Greatest Of All Time).

Myself, I didn't love The Looney Tunes Show, but I liked it. TLTS wasn't perfect, but I didn't think that it was the worst show ever. Wacky Kristen Wiig Lola Bunny and Fred Armisen Speedy Gonzales were the best things to come from TLTS, and that's my opinion.
Ditto on this. When I started seeing out of context clips trending on Twitter and the show getting high views on HBO Max, I knew the tide had turned. I still remember how much that show was hated by some in its initial run, especially Jessica Borutski's character designs. Now I'm convinced the series debuted a decade too soon.

Vuxovich

Yeah, that's kinda how I felt about OK KO back when it first came out. I was very apprehensive about OK KO at first because the art style threw me off and I'm not too crazy about its concept and characters. It wasn't until the Crossover Nexus hype in late 2018 where I warmed up to the show and became my all-time favorites.

I agree that first impressions matter, especially when either the marketing team or the showrunners are completely disconnected from the products they were trying to sell to. If the marketing was bad or the shows themselves was bad, then of course, it's gonna leave a bad first impression on a lot of viewers.

However, there are some cases where the shows does improves as time went on on their second or third season. Just like what happened with every show, really.
Too bad we missed to see the crossovers with Sailor Moon, Mega Man et alibi.

Pooky

Staff member
You might have seen recently that Gen Z is pretty keen on Snoopy (that is Snoopy specifically and not necessarily Peanuts as a whole), as part of that I've seen that images and gifs etc from Snoopy's Reunion have been particularly popular, particularly, as you can imagine, anything involving Snoopy as a puppy. It had historically (I always disagreed) been considered one of the weakest Peanuts specials, criticized as being sentimental and fluffy, and for "non-cannon" elements like a changed backstory and extra siblings for Snoopy, and the ever controversial appearance of clearly visible and audible adults.

Obviously Snoopy has been extremely popular for over 60 years but Gen-Z hipsters embracing him to such an extent is a bit of a turnaround from less than a decade ago when it was trendy to say he was (or at least became) the worst part of Peanuts.

Light Lucario

Staff member
You might have seen recently that Gen Z is pretty keen on Snoopy (that is Snoopy specifically and not necessarily Peanuts as a whole), as part of that I've seen that images and gifs etc from Snoopy's Reunion have been particularly popular, particularly, as you can imagine, anything involving Snoopy as a puppy. It had historically (I always disagreed) been considered one of the weakest Peanuts specials, criticized as being sentimental and fluffy, and for "non-cannon" elements like a changed backstory and extra siblings for Snoopy, and the ever controversial appearance of clearly visible and audible adults.

Obviously Snoopy has been extremely popular for over 60 years but Gen-Z hipsters embracing him to such an extent is a bit of a turnaround from less than a decade ago when it was trendy to say he was (or at least became) the worst part of Peanuts.
I hadn't heard of Snoopy getting more attention lately, but reading that article warmed my heart. I love Snoopy. He's always been so cute and fun to watch in the various Peanuts specials, movies and series. My classmates used to make fun of me for liking Peanuts and especially Snoopy. It's sweet that more people in the Gen Z crowd like Snoopy, but I also hope it means that fewer, or ideally no one, is made fun for liking him like I was.

aegisrawks

I
I hadn't heard of Snoopy getting more attention lately, but reading that article warmed my heart. I love Snoopy. He's always been so cute and fun to watch in the various Peanuts specials, movies and series. My classmates used to make fun of me for liking Peanuts and especially Snoopy. It's sweet that more people in the Gen Z crowd like Snoopy, but I also hope it means that fewer, or ideally no one, is made fun for liking him like I was.
Poor Light Lucario, if anyone doesnt deserve bullying its her. Hope you are having a better time now.

Shiloh Otter

Anxiety in the house
The 4Kids dub of Magical Doremi is not exactly hated now, from what I've seen. Which is good, because while I think the name changes were silly, they did everything else right.

aegisrawks

The 4Kids dub of Magical Doremi is not exactly hated now, from what I've seen. Which is good, because while I think the name changes were silly, they did everything else right.
I think the dub is super cute, it's such an underrated show. Even if its inferior to the Japanese version.

Vuxovich

I think the dub is super cute, it's such an underrated show. Even if its inferior to the Japanese version.
I think that 4Kids Entertainment would have dub all 4 seasons of Ojamajo Doremi. It's too bad that they gave up after the first one for unknown reasons.

CassieTheDragon

I've seen a fair bit of nostalgia for Wow Wow Wubbzy (06). Lot of people did not care for it at the time (granted they were probably parents that found the show obnoxious)

Shiloh Otter

Anxiety in the house
I think that 4Kids Entertainment would have dub all 4 seasons of Ojamajo Doremi. It's too bad that they gave up after the first one for unknown reasons.
It did poorly in the ratings. So bad that only a few episodes actually aired on TV and the rest were quietly streamed on the 4Kids website.

I've seen a fair bit of nostalgia for Wow Wow Wubbzy (06). Lot of people did not care for it at the time (granted they were probably parents that found the show obnoxious)
Huh. Interesting you say people didn't care for Wubbzy before, because I remember it quite differently. Wubbzy was always praised for how whimsical it was.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts