Current longest running anime series in Japan?

Samurai

Here's my list so far, feel free to add more:

Pokemon series, Yu-Gi-Oh! series
-----------
Doraemon, Sazae-san
-----------
Chibi Maruko-chan, Crayon Shin-Chan
-----------

Anpanman
Furakappa

ATASHIn`CHI

-----------

Sergeant Keroro, GeGeGe no Kitaro
-----------
Detective Conan
One Piece, Naruto Shippuden, Bleach
Gintama, D.Gray-Man
-----------
Major

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
Off the top of my head, there's Blue Dragon, Deltora Quest, Eyeshield 21, Pretty Cure and Dinosaur King. All have at least 50 episodes and don't look like they'll be ending anytime soon.

Samurai

Off the top of my head, there's Blue Dragon, Deltora Quest, Eyeshield 21, Pretty Cure and Dinosaur King. All have at least 50 episodes and don't look like they'll be ending anytime soon.

I thought Eyeshield 21 already ended?

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
From the looks of it, the anime pretty much stopped.

I really hate Studio Gallop with a passion.

DinoQueen13

Life is Now or Never
Truth to be, Dinosaur King's 1st season (series) only had 49 episodes (1 short), however they do have the Pterosaur Legends, which will boost up the number of episodes (if you count up all the episodes, original and Pterosaur).:sweat: I was also going to say Sailor Moon, but I'm not sure if it's the longest running anime. It has 5 seasons, and started in 1995 and ended ?.

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
Truth to be, Dinosaur King's 1st season (series) only had 49 episodes (1 short), however they do have the Pterosaur Legends, which will boost up the number of episodes (if you count up all the episodes, original and Pterosaur).:sweat: I was also going to say Sailor Moon, but I'm not sure if it's the longest running anime. It has 5 seasons, and started in 1995 and ended ?.

Well, yes, Dinosaur King is kind of pulling a Pokémon, where they call it a new series, but the show has the same leads and is in the same continuity. The same can be said of Pretty Cure and Blue Dragon.

Sailor Moon'
s Japanese run was from 1992-1997 and it had 200 episodes, but I think this thread is designed to mention shows that are currently running in Japan.

Oh...and I guess I should mention that Deltora Quest did end earlier this year. Totally forgot about that.

Quarkboy

Just to correct something. Pretty Cure has rebooted twice so far, with COMPLETELY new characters, story, and universe continuity. The only thing that is consistent between the 3 different continuities are the fact that the girls are in middle school, and that they transform into Pretty Cure, the legendary warriors, specifically "Cure XXXX" (and sometimes a supporting character that's not a cure), and that they have cute talking mascots.

Seasons 1 and 2 (Futari wa Pretty Cure and Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart) were the same continuity, season 3 (Pretty Cure splash star) was a reboot, and season 4-5 was another reboot (Yes! Pretty Cure 5 and Yes! Pretty Cure 5 Go! Go!)
The next season has already been planned, tentatively titles "No! Pretty Cure 666".

It is now the longest running Magical Girl show EVER in the history of anime, surpassing sailor moon's 200 episodes about 3 months ago.

River26

MAJOR, just wrapped it's 4th season. And NHK will be doing it again in January 2009. With it's 5th season.

silverfox1027

Sazae-san is the longest-running animated series in history (it's been going since 1969), so yeah...pretty sure it wins.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Just to correct something. Pretty Cure has rebooted twice so far, with COMPLETELY new characters, story, and universe continuity. The only thing that is consistent between the 3 different continuities are the fact that the girls are in middle school, and that they transform into Pretty Cure, the legendary warriors, specifically "Cure XXXX" (and sometimes a supporting character that's not a cure), and that they have cute talking mascots.

Seasons 1 and 2 (Futari wa Pretty Cure and Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart) were the same continuity, season 3 (Pretty Cure splash star) was a reboot, and season 4-5 was another reboot (Yes! Pretty Cure 5 and Yes! Pretty Cure 5 Go! Go!)
The next season has already been planned, tentatively titles "No! Pretty Cure 666".

It is now the longest running Magical Girl show EVER in the history of anime, surpassing sailor moon's 200 episodes about 3 months ago.

Does it quite count though, since all of Sailor Moon's episodes were in continuity? Well, it does speak to the strength of the property I suppose.

Geez. Pretty Cure 666? They're practically begging to be parodied on that one.

Quarkboy

Does it quite count though, since all of Sailor Moon's episodes were in continuity? Well, it does speak to the strength of the property I suppose.

Geez. Pretty Cure 666? They're practically begging to be parodied on that one.

Yeah, I dunno if it counts either. Sort of pointless to argue about it though :).

Uh, They were being parodied. That line was supposed to be a joke... (gogogo = 555, so next season is 666?)

CoolJ7

I am the Oblivion King.

Actually the Simpsons had the most I believe it had 20 seasons.
Bart: Woo Hoo!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

So, lemme get this straight. VA's have gone on strike protesting AI replicating their voices, and SAG-AFTRA signs a partnership deal with Narrativ? Apparently this is the second time SAG-AFTRA has done something like this.
Toonsylvania is a hidden gem from the late 90s, A real shame that the show hasn't been recognized since the early 2000s.
25 years ago today! Fox Kids introduced the United States to Digimon , the anime. Happy American 25th anniversary to it!
I think The Cramp Twins, the TV series, is set in the Southeastern USA. Not just because of the swamp, they also drink root beer floats too (not at A&W but at Western-themed places).

The irony is that us Europeans don't like root beer and root beer floats

Featured Posts