DC's One Year Later: A Failure? (Potential Spoilers)

jv2k

Faster than the fat flash
I never got the confusion over the multiverse even when I didn't read comics.
One character lives in one universe another character lives in another universe. Occasionally they meet to fulfill some fanboy's wet dreams. It really isn't confusing at all.

Damien

Watching
It's not so much confusing as it is annoying. I like the more down-to-earth storylines, so I haven't read either Crisis.
I also didn't see the need to jump a year ahead and fill in the gap week-by-week. Granted, it's a good starting point for anyone who's dropped off or doesn't read DC, especially with new titles like the current Flash run.
Still, it all gets to be a little much. With all the books leading up to Infinite Crisis, the Crisis itself and all its tie-ins, jumping ahead a year, and 52, it gets overwhelming. There's also the question of "Why would I want to read this? What's this all about?" At least with Marvel's Civil War, the basic premise was out there. It hooked potential readers. I still don't get the point of the new Crisis, jumping ahead a year, this new Countdown to this summer...what is all this?
I prefer DC heroes over Marvel's, but Marvel pulled me into the Civil War with the greatest of ease, while I just read Aquaman and Flash because I happen to like those two and they were getting fresh starts.
The point is that DC is doing too much at once, and it automatically turns me off as a reader. In that way, it failed. Maybe it's good if you can get into it. I just can't get into it.

jv2k

Faster than the fat flash
Personally I think that OYL succeeded because it is how I got into DC. Getting into comics is almost intimidating due to the years of History most heroes have but OYL was a pretty decent start up point. It was especially a good point for Batman and Superman. I also really enjoyed 52 and am looking forward to countdown(mostly because of Paul Dini).

danreyes1

In some cases a success and others a failure. Batman and Superman both had succesful returns. The new JSA series is a blast, and JLA took a little while, but did pick up. Others haven't been succesful. Bart Allen makes a terrible flash, and as much as I tried to get into the new Blue Beetle, that didn't work.

I'll tell you this much: I am reading far more OYL DC comics than I am post-Civil War Marvel comics.

Robin2099

In some cases a success and others a failure. Batman and Superman both had succesful returns. The new JSA series is a blast, and JLA took a little while, but did pick up. Others haven't been succesful. Bart Allen makes a terrible flash, and as much as I tried to get into the new Blue Beetle, that didn't work.

I'll tell you this much: I am reading far more OYL DC comics than I am post-Civil War Marvel comics.
Just out of curiosity are you talking about the Bilson/DeMeo run or Gugenheims? Because Gugenheims, while not spectacular is still a pretty solid read each month.

danreyes1

Just out of curiosity are you talking about the Bilson/DeMeo run or Gugenheims? Because Gugenheims, while not spectacular is still a pretty solid read each month.

The Bilson/DeMeo run. They made me lose my interest before Gugenheim came along, unfortunately.

Hanshotfirst1138

Morphinomenal!
Yes, IC/OYL was indeed an attempt at streamlining the DC universe, but it didn't tackle the job of fixing continuity errors and sorting out the conflicting multi-verse stuff which only Diehard DC fans can understand, (casual DC fans like myself can't make heads or tails of it all).

I've tried reading both and have a similar problem.

Robin2099

The Bilson/DeMeo run. They made me lose my interest before Gugenheim came along, unfortunately.
You really need to give the Flash another shot. Gugenheim's run has so far been entertaining and made Bart like he used to be when he was Impulse.

DR.MID-NITE

The Original
I have heard rumors of a return of Barry Allen. I wonder if sales of the Flash keep shrinking...They might actually bring him back?

Damien

Watching
Maybe, but it was also rumored that he would be the Flash for this title. I'm fairly certain that Barry's return has always been an unspoken possibility at this point. :p

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts