"Deadpool & Wolverine" News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Deadpool 3 wouldn't be an appropriate name for the movie considering the first two aren't in the MCU. But I do want it to maintain the R-rating, because then Samuel L. Jackson can say MF in character as Nick Fury - and not have it censored (like when he disintegrates trying to say the word in Infinity War). As far as I'm concerned, Jackson should have been able to say it uncensored once in each of his previous Marvel movies. PG-13 movies are allowed one non-sexual use of the F-bomb, and I'm pretty sure non-sexual uses of MF are included in that.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
Personally, that would have done nothing good for the movies. What might get a quick pop from some 19 year old viewers might get more parents of 10 year old viewers to write the movies off. As loud, brash and violent as the Marvel movies might seem, they have still managed to walk that line where they can be experiences for everyone in the family, much like Star Wars or the PG-13 movies I grew up on in the 90s.

The F bomb continues to have a stigma around it, beyond the other common swear words. The mere addition of it still manages to feel like the flick of the switch from general audience fare to teen and up territory. The habit of using one in the X-Men movies of the last decade didn't seem to help them with maintaining their young audience but then you look at the Transformers movies (which I might mistakenly remembering as not using them) and they were still able to trick people into thinking the movies were kid safe. Sure, you can't really blame any of that on one word but who knows.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Freddy

Besides, I really don't see Nick Fury as a type of person, who just casually drops F-bombs. Just because actor is famous for a gimmick (for lack of a better term), doesn't mean they have to shoehorn it to every single role of theirs.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Besides, I really don't see Nick Fury as a type of person, who just casually drops F-bombs. Just because actor is famous for a gimmick (for lack of a better term), doesn't mean they have to shoehorn it to every single role of theirs.
Exactly. It's crass and stupid to always do that. The joke in Captain Marvel was enough.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
Michael Bay has made movies that I still enjoy the heck out of to this day but no matter how exciting I think he was able to shoot some old action that could have easily been mundane in the wrong person's hands, I think he's absolutely terrible when he's in charge of the comedy. Sometimes, stars might have enough timing or chemistry to get past Bay's own comedy sensibilities but that is really tough to shine past. He recently worked with Ryan Reynolds on 6 Underground and that didn't exactly leave me thinking that he could do Deadpool. Sure he could direct some cool action pieces but he would destroy the comedy. The last two Deadpool movies had great action sequences already but they also had directing that allowed Ryan Reynolds to take over comedically. I don't think that is happening with Michael Bay.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

PF9

If a movie with SLJ desires a PG or even G rating I would be fine with him not saying MF in those movies.

Otherwise, he should be allowed one use in his PG-13 movies. That should have been the one use of the F-bomb in Kong: Skull Island for example. Instead, they used the F-bomb in another scene and had SLJ's character get killed trying to say MF (like in Infinity War).

Frontier

Staff member

PF9

Well, at the end of the day, it's still Deadpool :p.
I hope you are reading this Marvel Studios.

Do not pass up on the chance to have Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) say his first-ever uncensored MF in the MCU.

I should also point out SLJ said MF in Big Game - and it still got a PG-13 rating. I think it is the only time Jackson ever used the word in a PG-13 movie.

PF9

Now if only Marvel can take back complete control of the characters currently assigned to Sony.

To me, Sony doesn't need Marvel rights, especially as the IPs are owned by a competing studio. There are plenty of smaller comic book companies (not owned by other media conglomerates or to me are candidates to be purchased by one: IDW by ViacomCBS and Dark Horse by NBCUniversal) that Sony could collaborate with on movies.

How can Disney/Marvel get back control of Sony's Marvel rights?

Simple, Disney trades the US rights to the Sony-owned Who Wants to Be a Millionaire format, including back catalog of completed episodes (with ABC having right of first refusal to air network specials), to Sony, as it is now, Sony produces several hit series on ABC, including The Good Doctor, Shark Tank, and The Goldbergs.

In return, Disney would get back the rights to the Marvel characters that Sony had owned the rights to, not just Spider-Man but characters intended to be used in Sony's Marvel Universe.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Now if only Marvel can take back complete control of the characters currently assigned to Sony.

To me, Sony doesn't need Marvel rights, especially as the IPs are owned by a competing studio. There are plenty of smaller comic book companies (not owned by other media conglomerates or to me are candidates to be purchased by one: IDW by ViacomCBS and Dark Horse by NBCUniversal) that Sony could collaborate with on movies.
We know Sony is at least trying to get the Valiant material off the ground last year with Bloodshot. They could be entertaining that notion.

PF9

I edited my last post since you replied. I make a good point about Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Technically this could go in the X-Universe thread because this is about a proposed idea from when the X-Men Universe was owned by Fox and not what this movie as it stands is going for but.. eh I'm putting it here. Because Ryan Reynolds revealed today one of the original ideas for Deadpool 3 BEFORE The Disney merger went through (as yeah remember Deadpool 2, 3 and an X-Force film were planned before the merger with only DP2 done in time to come out under the Fox banner) was a road trip team up movie... with Wolverine.

Which may of seemed ridiculous to do after Logan ended but if there was ONE movie Hugh would come back to after that film it was a Deadpool team up and honestly the idea of an entire film of Ryan Reynold and Hugh Jackman's Wade and Jimmie bouncing off one another would of been great and yeah with freaky DP logic still could of worked tying it into the X-Men movies... much as those wind up tying in on themselves. Obvious that's not going to happen now though as I'm sure for the most part Disney Marvel wants to only keep only the most essential things from the Fox verse... mostly just related to the core DP cast and not stuff like actors who long since retired from the role.

Spotlight

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts