Disney Channel or Disney XD?

Which Disney network is better?

• Total voters

TheMisterManGuy

Disney has 2 main networks for its content. There's the Disney Channel, and there's Disney XD. Disney Channel consists of tween sitcoms that are supposedly family shows, and they skew a more female demographic. Meanwhile, shows on Disney XD are geared more towards males, and has a bit edgier programming.

Of these 2, which do you think is a more worthwhile network? I personaly have to say Disney XD. Mainly because it has one thing Disney Channel lacks, variety. While Disney XD has its own tween comedies aimed at a male audience, it also hosts its own original animated shows, aquired Canadian shows, Marvel & Star Wars Cartoons, and also gives Wander Over Yander and Gravity Falls a new home. Plus, DXD even had the balls at one point to air Pirates of the Carabian with a TV-14 rating, something squeaky clean Disney Channel would never do.

Meanwhile, Disney Channel just feels like its nothing but tween sitcoms. Even Phineas & Ferb, their most popular cartoon, hardly airs. Its pretty obvious Disney Channel has no interest in animation because that apparently isn't what sells music albums to bratty preteen girls. At least DXD doesn't need to turn their stars into rappers or singers. While Disney XD isn't perfect, I would still rather watch it, over Disney Channel any day.

CoolEric158

She rocks both ways.
I don't really think either is far superior to the other, but if a gun was pointed to my head to answer, I guess XD since it has a huge animation push occurring, and I'm a fan of the 'toons on that channel, though some like Randy Cunningham and The 7D I have yet to see. I don't really care for the live-action shows on either, but if my two sisters are any indication, it's clearly appealing to the target audience, and there isn't anything I've seen that has been remotely awful or insulting. I'm just too old for it. :p

ILDC

Meanwhile, Disney Channel just feels like its nothing but tween sitcoms. Even Phineas & Ferb, their most popular cartoon, hardly airs. Its pretty obvious Disney Channel has no interest in animation because that apparently isn't what sells music albums to bratty preteen girls.
They still premiere the Mickey Mouse shorts at primetime, but those are posted online like a day later.

Dynamite Soldier

Disney XD, full stop. Not only it has a wide variety of both animation and live-action, but it has a more diversified schedule (at least recently) than Disney Channel. Most of DXD's programming, even the live-action sitcoms, aren't that bad compared to DC and are actually enjoyable to watch. In fact, Disney XD is the only kids network I watch nowadays (sometimes Cartoon Network, but not all the time). I pretty much watch every show on DXD now except Crash and Bernstein, Boyster, Kirby Buckets and the Marvel cartoons (save for the occasional Spider-Man), but my favorites there are The 7D, Gravity Falls and Wander Over Yonder.

I've stopped watching Disney Channel regularly since 2006 when it begin to focus on tween/teen pop star sitcoms too much (*cough*Hannah Montana*cough*), lost respect for all of its animation and had more of a marathon type fluid schedule. Nowadays, I'll watch DC if there's a new Mickey Mouse short on, an occasional Sofia the First pops up or when some of the Disney movies come on. Other than that, I don't watch or care about Disney Channel anymore, period.

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
Definitely Disney XD because that's where all the cartoons are. Granted, I'm only watching Disney XD for Gravity Falls at the moment, but I'm looking forward to Star vs. The Forces of Evil and Penn Zero: Part Time Hero. It's a good thing that on-demand lets me watch shows on channels that I don't have.

SaneMan

Disney XD all the way, ever since all of the cartoons moved there

some of the pre-school shows on Disney Channel are good, but I'm not the target audience to put it lightly

Dudley

Staff member
Disney XD, because of all the animation they air, especially since certain animated shows premieres have been moved there. The only time I watch Disney Channel now is for when they air animated movies, and those can be found on other Disney owned channels.

Getouttamylab!

Was a coiled up attack snake before it was cool
Doesn't Phineas & Ferb air on Disney XD? I thought they moved it a couple of years ago.

Yeah, Phineas and Ferb airs a lot on there. It's basically its home network now. (Though sometimes episode premieres will pop up on Disney Channel.)

Anyway, I'm gonna have to say Disney XD all the way. It has many shows I like (P&F, Gravity Falls, Wander Over Yonder, Randy Cunningham, etc.) and I can actually sit through (most of) its live action shows. Even my younger sister prefers XD over DC.

mqg96

The most disappointing thing about Disney Channel is that they lack so many animated shows nowadays. Animation was the backbone of what started out the Disney company. Disney used to be for everyone back in the day, family oriented with the decent live-action shows on Disney Channel (90's-early 2000's), but the heart and soul of Disney, TOON DISNEY! Disney Channel today is just about as bad as it's been since 2006 with the exception of a few cartoons & a couple decent sitcoms still running, but it's been getting worse since 2008-2009 and continues to do the same formula with preteens and teens set in school. The tween sitcom is either pop music oriented, or a rip-off to other sitcoms from the 90's. Like So Random being a rip-off to All That or Jessie being a rip-off to the Nanny. While the rest are just pop music oriented with terrible acting in them. Disney XD was not that good at first but now they have gotten their act together and gotten much better. So Disney XD wins and it's not even close.

Honestly, I believe Disney XD has always been better than Disney Channel in terms of variety and great programming, even when Toon Disney and Jetix used to be around, it has always been better than Disney Channel. I've noticed a lot people saying that Disney Channel started going downhill in 2006 when Hannah Montana and High School Musical took over the network, and I can agree because that's when Disney Channel started hitting rock bottom. However, y'all want to know when Disney actually started it's decline, it was really in September 2002 when it rebranded because that's when the channel started having a tween sitcom focus more than animated shows. The channel was no longer family oriented like it used to be during the Vault/Zoog era. The channel now appealed to girls only. Keep in mind, Cheetah Girls was from 2003 before High School Musical so that must have started the tween music stuff I guess. It's never really been that good ever since with the exception of a lot of decent original cartoons. However, we all know it got worse in 2006. In the end, Toon Disney/Jetix and Disney XD has always been the better channel. I call it the brother channel of Disney.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
I really want to say I'd like the Disney Channel, but Disney won't let us, will they?

XD it is, then.

Pac-Attack

Honestly, they should just move any live-action on XD to Disney Channel, it's only fair, animation pretty much takes up the entire schedule for Disney XD anyways.

But yeah, while I don't like the live-action shows, Disney XD has some great cartoons, while Disney Channel has a swamp full of horrid tweencoms.

mqg96

Honestly, they should just move any live-action on XD to Disney Channel, it's only fair, animation pretty much takes up the entire schedule for Disney XD anyways.

But yeah, while I don't like the live-action shows, Disney XD has some great cartoons, while Disney Channel has a swamp full of horrid tweencoms.

This is exactly why there was no point of changing the name from Toon Disney to Disney XD. The only reason they did that was so they could add live-action shows to the lineup, but now 5 1/2 almost 6 years later from the time the channel was launched. It's almost like they should return the name to just Toon Disney again, not saying that they should change the programming, but it should really be called Toon Disney again because the majority of the shows on the channel are animated shows that are doing so well.

Most of the live-action shows on Disney XD should be on Disney Channel only, I agree with you, but I doubt it. Why, because Disney just wants a boundary between the two channels. Disney Channel to have girl-oriented tween sitcoms only and for Disney XD to have just boy oriented shows as well, when some of the programming on Disney XD right now I think many girls enjoy as well, not just boys.

Disney really should go to the old formula and make Disney Channel more of a family oriented channel that everyone could enjoy, not just girls, and I believe Disney XD should just become an all animation channel for Disney cartoons only and switch the name back to Toon Disney and have some new animated shows owned by Disney and Marvel to stay on the channel 24/7.

As long as there is a gender boundary between Disney Channel and Disney XD, Disney XD will continue to strive with more great animated series and Disney Channel will continue to suffer with all the tween sitcoms like they've been doing for the last almost 10 years now.

Pac-Attack

I don't necessarily think they need to change the name back to Toon Disney, I think the Disney XD name is fine for the channel (and to be fair, the name never had any meaning, it was just mean't to look "cool" pretty much). But yeah, the network should be all-animation again.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Disney XD ALL THE WAY.

Mostly thanks to the likes GF, WoY, The 7D, Randy Cunningham, etc... Hopefully Penn Zero & Star Vs. can continue that trend, too (provided both turn out to be good shows, of course!).

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I picked up Disney XD because they have been making good shows, plus they have Star vs. the Forces of Evil, a show that I've been anticipating for.

JedEmily

I'd have to say both really.
Disney Channel - For the tween sitcoms (let's be fair, mostly Violetta.) and the soon-to-be-showing old shows
Disney XD - For the animation and live action shows

RegularCapital

Staff member
I say neither (however, I'm inclined to say DXD is the better channel), I'd say Sky Movies Disney, as films is what Disney is best at. :)

SleepyBat

Yo-kai, won't you be my friend?
Disney XD is pretty much the only channel I watch on TV nowadays. Disney Channel was my 24/7 up until March when they shoved their only remaining cartoons to Disney XD, and I only watch it at those rare instances where they DO play the cartoons there. Strangely enough, Gravity Falls and Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero (its only aired episode as of now) got MORE than one rerun on Disney Channel per episode, and Gravity Falls still airs from time-to-time, but Wander Over Yonder? They only air each episode once on Disney Channel and it's literally been months (excluding "The Gift" on December 19th, which also aired only once) since it had one rerun.

Disney XD still has sitcoms like Disney Channel, but I enjoy them. They take on much different themes than Disney Channel ever does. (K.C. Undercover might as well be a horrible attempt to take on an action-like theme, but they STILL ended up going back to what they normally do.)

Speaking of K.C. Undercover? I bet they bribe their old stars to stay at Disney and make new shows. (not even just on Disney Channel.) Zendaya came back from Shake It Up, Bradley Steven Perry and Jake Short went to Mighty Med from Good Luck Charlie and A.N.T. Farm (respectively), amongst many other examples including the main characters of an upcoming DCOM.

But just because I like Disney XD and their shows, doesn't mean they're...that good. They are horrible at schedules, they are bad at advertising (they only get half a million views per episode on a lot of their shows, compared to Disney Channel which I usually see 2 million+ per ep). All of that stuff bugs me most whenever I think about Doraemon, that one specific show was heavily unadvertised and they shoved the entire first season into the first two months of its run, now it only airs once a day at like 6 in the morning and we haven't gotten any news since the season ended. The reason I'm so worried is because Doraemon's been airing in other countries for decades and only got to the US this year, you'd expect them to take more care of the show. (I heard they dubbed a recent movie, but no word if it's gonna be in the US or not.)

Okay, drifting away from the subject of Doraemon, I'm definitely saying Disney XD is better, but I still have my issues with both channels.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts