Disney Company Content Libraries Discussion Thread

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
I wish David Greenbaum would lead a campaign to have 20th Century Studios and Searchlight Pictures, along with the catalogs/libraries of said units, sold off/spun off from Disney (with some exceptions like the Marvel/Fox stuff, Star Wars, and Avatar), and maybe given back to Fox Corp., even if you don’t like that idea. I know the Disney/Fox purchase worked when streaming was big and they wanted to beef up Disney+ with library content, but now, from seeing Warner Bros. Discovery's actions, content licensing is about to become a thing. Disney+ is also starting to cut back on making original content.

GRPHX

I don’t think Disney and 20th Century Studios are merging/consolidating, because Steve Asbell, the president of the latter, will continue in his current position.

I wish, and I know you wouldn’t like this idea and I’ve said it many times here, David Greenbaum would lead a campaign to have 20th Century Studios and Searchlight Pictures, along with the catalogs/libraries of said units, sold off/spun off from Disney (with some exceptions like the Marvel/Fox stuff, Star Wars, and Avatar), and maybe given back to Fox Corp., even if you don’t like that idea. I know the Disney/Fox purchase worked when streaming was big and they wanted to beef up Disney+ with library content, but now, from seeing Warner Bros. Discovery's actions, content licensing is about to become a thing. Disney+ is also starting to cut back on making original content.
Which assets should they definitely sell?

Pre March 2019 - 20th Century FOX Studios and Television Assets (Except FX networks, FOX international networks, Marvel and SW rights, Adult animations, Wheldonverse (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse) AHS, Alien vs. Predator, The X-Files, Avatar franchise and like this)

Pre-November 2001 – ABC Family Worldwide titles (Fox Family, Fox Kids, Saban/BVS/SIP, The Family Channel, Non-Marvel New World Animation/Marvel Productions/DFE Libraries)
(Except Post-acquisition, Disney-produced ABC Family-Freeform properties, Jetix Animation Concepts and SIP-produced W.I.T.C.H.)

We are now at the end of the streaming era. Considering that their entire asset catalog is not in use due to nonsense like residual payments or music licenses, they can do more business with less assets.

In this case, they will have evacuated the libraries of many other legacy companies such as 20th Century FOX, New World Communications, Saban Entertainment, MTM Enterprises, Four Star Television and much more...

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!

Pre March 2019 - 20th Century FOX Studios and Television Assets (Except FX networks, FOX international networks, Marvel and SW rights, Adult animations, Wheldonverse (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse) AHS, Alien vs. Predator, The X-Files, Avatar franchise and like this)

Pre-November 2001 – ABC Family Worldwide titles (Fox Family, Fox Kids, Saban/BVS/SIP, The Family Channel, Non-Marvel New World Animation/Marvel Productions/DFE Libraries)
(Except Post-acquisition, Disney-produced ABC Family-Freeform properties, Jetix Animation Concepts and SIP-produced W.I.T.C.H.)

We are now at the end of the streaming era. Considering that their entire asset catalog is not in use due to nonsense like residual payments or music licenses, they can do more business with less assets.

In this case, they will have evacuated the libraries of many other legacy companies such as 20th Century FOX, New World Communications, Saban Entertainment, MTM Enterprises, Four Star Television and much more...
Definitely the pre-2019 stuff, but why have Disney keep the rights to Adult animations, Wheldonverse (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse) AHS, Alien vs. Predator, and The X-Files? The reason Disney should only keep the Marvel, Star Wars, and Avatar rights is because they have a heavy presence in the Disney parks, unlike the others.

Moe

Streaming era isn't end anytime soon and they continue to evolve, and eventually turn into mainstream like cable TV was new in 1980s and became mainstream in 1990s. When streaming services become profitable, investors are ready to shore their investment like they did with cable TV. Disney was struggle with Disney Channel and ultimately, they ended up have fewer original series in 1980s, and more original series didn't come until mid-late 1990s and more boom in 2000s.

Hulu brand isn't going anywhere soon and they are primary brand for adult contents.

Last edited:

GRPHX

Definitely the pre-2019 stuff, but why have Disney keep the rights to Adult animations, Wheldonverse (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse) AHS, Alien vs. Predator, and The X-Files? The reason Disney should only keep the Marvel, Star Wars, and Avatar rights is because they have a heavy presence in the Disney parks, unlike the others.
Because they are no longer just a children's and family brand. Having these will give them the subscriber pool needed for streaming. A general entertainment library consisting only of Touchstone/ABC seems pretty empty

Also, why do you think pre-2001 FFW assets should not be sold?
That's part of post-acquisition streamlined/combo with one president to handle with all live action under one roof but still two separate divisions.

Nothing is significant and just boring post-acquisition corporate restructuring.

Streaming era isn't end anytime soon and they continue to evolve, and eventually turn into mainstream like cable TV was new in 1980s and became mainstream in 1990s. When streaming services become profitable, investors are ready to shore their investment like they did with cable TV. Disney was struggle with Disney Channel and ultimately, they ended up have fewer original series in 1980s, and more original series didn't come until mid-late 1990s and more boom in 2000s.

Hulu brand isn't going anywhere soon and they are primary brand for adult contents.
They might keep the few franchises I mentioned and sell the rest because catalog access is already pretty limited, especially at legacy shows. The Touchstone/Hollywood/Caravan Pictures library and ABC TV legacy will be enough for Disney. The studios and know-how must remain, but except for popular titles Disney doesn't need the pre-2001 FFW and pre-2019 FOX library.

If you don't use something and are unlikely to use it in the future, it shouldn't belong to you anymore. What you don't use may be useful to others.

Last edited:

Moe

They might keep the few franchises I mentioned and sell the rest because catalog access is already pretty limited, especially at legacy shows. The Touchstone/Hollywood/Caravan Pictures library and ABC TV legacy will be enough for Disney. The studios and know-how must remain, but except for popular titles Disney doesn't need the pre-2001 FFW and pre-2019 FOX library.
That is Elijah's opinion because he didn't want 20th Century to be bought by Disney at first place. I have no interest to discuss about whether Disney should sell 20th Century or not after same discussions existed in several threads last 1-2 years ago. I felt this discussion serve on purpose and it is unlikely for Disney to consider those divestiture. You are likely to see Disney sell some of linear TV assets (cable channels) in near future.

This thread is more about corporate restructuring/corporate shakeup to save money that has little to no effect on contents.

If you don't use something and are unlikely to use it in the future, it shouldn't belong to you anymore. What you don't use may be useful to others.
Contents unavailable on streaming services are very unfortunate and I do think that they are interested to license some contents to other streaming services like Netflix. That could changes after Disney+/Hulu becomes profitable. Sell contents to other companies are unlikely to help with unavailability on streaming services and it does cause more confusion when different sets of contents went to other companies with no good use, beside license out to any streaming services whichever want those contents.

I suspected that Hulu is just want to cut some of expenses by not renew old shows, even if it is owned by same corporation and Hulu still have to pay for it if they want to continue carry those on their service.

Also, why do you think pre-2001 FFW assets should not be sold?
That is hard question to answer because I didn't know a real reason. My theory is if Disney decided to sell Power Rangers and Bobby's World, and it means Disney tried to get rid of non-Marvel BVS/Jetix but no buyers want those contents and ultimately, they end up in vault with unclear about whether those contents come to Disney+ or other streaming services.

GRPHX

That is hard question to answer because I didn't know a real reason. My theory is if Disney decided to sell Power Rangers and Bobby's World, and it means Disney tried to get rid of non-Marvel BVS/Jetix but no buyers want those contents and ultimately, they end up in vault with unclear about whether those contents come to Disney+ or other streaming services.
There's been some fierce debate in the past about why non-Marvel FFW properties aren't streaming, and I'm not keen on debating that again. Also this has its own thread. But I asked the question to Elijah, not you. Because his attitude seemed contradictory to me. It's strange that he want the 20CF library to be sold but not the FFW library that comes from the same place. He did not give a satisfactory answer. These are both non-Walt Disney "General Entertainment" assets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moe

Moe

There's been some fierce debate in the past about why non-Marvel FFW properties aren't streaming, and I'm not keen on debating that again. Also this has its own thread. But I asked the question to Elijah, not you. Because his attitude seemed contradictory to me. It's strange that he want the 20CF library to be sold but not the FFW library that comes from the same place. He did not give a satisfactory answer. These are both non-Walt Disney "General Entertainment" assets.
Alright, I understand now.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I wish, and I know you wouldn’t like this idea and I’ve said it many times here, David Greenbaum would lead a campaign to have 20th Century Studios and Searchlight Pictures, along with the catalogs/libraries of said units, sold off/spun off from Disney (with some exceptions like the Marvel/Fox stuff, Star Wars, and Avatar), and maybe given back to Fox Corp.
That's not going to happen, regardless of whether anyone likes the idea or not. Disney spent a lot of money to acquire Fox Entertainment. They're not going to give it up just because a handful of fans don't like the idea of Mickey Mouse owning it. If Fox Corp. still wanted it's wanted its entertainment branch, they wouldn't have sold it off in the first place. Disney didn't steal 20th Century Fox from the Murdochs; they gave it away willingly.

I don't like that the company that spawned Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo and Dr. Pimple Popper owns Warner Brothers now, but they do, and they still have it 2 years after the fact. That's just business. Not much we fans can do about it.

Last edited:

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony's TV channels
Staff member

What assets? The Disney share of A+E Networks. They give it to Hearst, in exchange of the 20% of ESPN that Hearst has. I said it so many times and I'm still waiting this.

Moe

That's not going to happen, regardless of whether anyone likes the idea or not. Disney spent a lot of money to acquire Fox Entertainment. They're not going to give it up just because a handful of fans don't like the idea of Mickey Mouse owning it. If Fox Corp. still wanted it's wanted its entertainment branch, they wouldn't have sold it off in the first place. Disney didn't steal 20th Century Fox from the Murdochs; they gave it away willingly.

I don't like that the company that spawned Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo and Dr. Pimple Popper owns Warner Brothers now, but they do, and they still have it 2 years after the fact. That's just business. Not much we fans can do about it.
Exactly, he said same in several threads and that gets old fast now. I'm not going to say this again after few times.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
They could give up Fox Entertainment if a situation did occur. I mean, with Warner Bros. Discovery licensing their content instead of putting them on Max, other companies may end up doing the same. I also think Disney needs more money to put into expanding and maintaining their parks in the US and France for the better (look at Tokyo Disney Resort and their upcoming Fantasy Springs expansion for Tokyo DisneySea, for example, and that’s thanks to the Oriental Land Company). Disney+ is even starting to cut back on making original content, from the evidence of turning the planned Moana TV series into the theatrical film Moana 2. Reminder also that Disney had a bad 2023 box office.

Moe

I also think Disney needs more money to put into expanding and maintaining their parks in the US and France for the better (look at Tokyo Disney Resort and their upcoming Fantasy Springs expansion for Tokyo DisneySea, for example, and that’s thanks to the Oriental Land Company).
Disney studios/networks and theme parks are separated since 1980s under Michael Eisner and haven't changed since, so funds raised for theme parks cannot be used for expenses with studios and networks. That what you said didn't help very much. Disney World in Florida got numbers of expansions like Star Wars is one of them and as for Disneyland in California, they have issue with limited land to expand and they would have to pay millions if not billions to buy the properties out to expand.

Reminder also that Disney had a bad 2023 box office.
That's not end of Disney and loss in Disney+ has been narrowed after price hikes and scale back on numbers of contents. Disney is no strange to license some contents out to third party streaming services like Amazon and Netflix. Home video sales helped to nearly or closed the loss.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Disney studios/networks and theme parks are separated since 1980s under Michael Eisner and haven't changed since, so funds raised for theme parks cannot be used for expenses with studios and networks. That what you said didn't help very much. Disney World in Florida got numbers of expansions like Star Wars is one of them and as for Disneyland in California, they have issue with limited land to expand and they would have to pay millions if not billions to buy the properties out to expand.

That's not end of Disney and loss in Disney+ has been narrowed after price hikes and scale back on numbers of contents. Disney is no strange to license some contents out to third party streaming services like Amazon and Netflix. Home video sales helped to nearly or closed the loss.
I forgot to mention the potential Warner Bros. Discovery/Paramount Global merger getting scrapped today, which could worry Disney, and that if they start licensing content, they’d have too much licensing power.

Moe

I forgot to mention the potential Warner Bros. Discovery/Paramount Global merger getting scrapped today, which could worry Disney, and that if they start licensing content, they’d have too much licensing power.
I'm glad to see this merger isn't going to happen and I do have problem with other mergers that aren't related to movies and TV shows, and if you read the news, you will know about what I means.

Market power may changed today when compared to 2019 that where Disney used to have much market share after merger with 20th Century finalized, and it seems become more tame now. Disney is more compete with Universal, Sony, WBD and Paramount for animated films nowadays.

Pooky

Staff member
This thread has been split off from discussion that originated in this thread. Henceforth, please discuss any matters relating to ideas for Disney's content library (potential sales etc.) here. Thank you.

Moe

Some of you may know my opinion, after acquisition closed, I opposed about Disney sell 20th Century off because contents are likely end up in multiple different companies, some could fall into obscure or not take a good use or caring with contents, Disney could do surgical and cherry-picking keep profitable and sell unpopular IP and much of $70 billions dollars are wasted for much nothing, so that is going to upset a lot of shareholders.

The merger and acquisition would needs to be stopped at first place and it is much hard to do after merger and acquisition closed. Fox is blamed for resort to sell the company that cannot be reversed and they only care about money, much less with contents.

If load of contents on Disney+/Hulu aren't option anymore so Disney can easily license contents out to streaming services and they make a lot of money, so tune can changes if Disney+ gets profitable, become mainstream and attract more subscribers in the future. It is just like syndication for cable TV - they were less valuable in 1980s and became very valuable in 2000s. 20th Century stays as united like family and not end up into pieces to other companies. The legacy licensing with 20th Century libraries helped Disney to raise billions dollars.

I don't think Disney is looking for major merger and acquisition, nor major divestiture, beside sell cable TV assets if they are no longer to make a large profitable.

GRPHX

Some of you may know my opinion, after acquisition closed, I opposed about Disney sell 20th Century off because contents are likely end up in multiple different companies, some could fall into obscure or not take a good use or caring with contents, Disney could do surgical and cherry-picking keep profitable and sell unpopular IP and much of $70 billions dollars are wasted for much nothing, so that is going to upset a lot of shareholders.

The merger and acquisition would needs to be stopped at first place and it is much hard to do after merger and acquisition closed. Fox is blamed for resort to sell the company that cannot be reversed and they only care about money, much less with contents.

If load of contents on Disney+/Hulu aren't option anymore so Disney can easily license contents out to streaming services and they make a lot of money, so tune can changes if Disney+ gets profitable, become mainstream and attract more subscribers in the future. It is just like syndication for cable TV - they were less valuable in 1980s and became very valuable in 2000s. 20th Century stays as united like family and not end up into pieces to other companies. The legacy licensing with 20th Century libraries helped Disney to raise billions dollars.

I don't think Disney is looking for major merger and acquisition, nor major divestiture, beside sell cable TV assets if they are no longer to make a large profitable.
Unfortunately, the proliferation of streaming will not help bring more content that has been vaulted to the surface. It will continue on it's own path. What Disney will license or want to license is again at their own initiative. I think Disney should still sell some of this very large library, as they have not done a wide catalog search or thought that other platforms would not be interested in purchasing them even if they did. Therefore, content licensed to other platforms will still be limited to what is available on Disney+/Hulu.

But you opposed the sale of pre-2001 non-Marvel FFW assets, even though I clearly said Disney had no interest in owning or using them. Why?

Moe

But you opposed the sale of pre-2001 non-Marvel FFW assets, even though I clearly said Disney had no interest in owning or using them. Why?
My opinion only applies to 20th Century, not Family Family Worldwide (You can see my explicit mention "20th Century").

Disney got rid of Miramax and probably attempted to get rid most of Fox Family Worldwide with only Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation and Bobby's World are sold off years ago.

and Disney hasn't take a good use with overwhelming numbers of old Disney contents that went obscure after Vault Disney block discontinued in 2002. Many of those contents weren't aired on Disney Channel when they were premium from 1983 to 1997.

Unfortunately, the proliferation of streaming will not help bring more content that has been vaulted to the surface. It will continue on it's own path. What Disney will license or want to license is again at their own initiative. I think Disney should still sell some of this very large library, as they have not done a wide catalog search or thought that other platforms would not be interested in purchasing them even if they did. Therefore, content licensed to other platforms will still be limited to what is available on Disney+/Hulu.
I do think Disney realized Disney+ is unprofitable with loads of contents and ultimately, they mostly stopped add old contents, along with price hikes and cut on numbers of original series, as Disney is retooling the service until they become profitable, so they can resume to add old contents, also some of contents may be license out to other streaming services.

Disney isn't only one, WBD, NBCUniversal and Paramount stopped or slow down on add old contents as they start to license some out to other services, and others went to FAST.

If third party streaming services like Netflix, Amazon and others don't want to carry specific contents and have studios to sell large numbers of contents aren't going to help, so studios would have to put on their own services. For example, no streaming services are interested to carry The Weekenders, and what is Disney's option? They only can put on Disney+ (paid) or FAST service (free).

GRPHX

My opinion only applies to 20th Century, not Family Family Worldwide (You can see my explicit mention "20th Century").

Disney got rid of Miramax and probably attempted to get rid most of Fox Family Worldwide with only Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation and Bobby's World are sold off years ago.

and Disney hasn't take a good use with overwhelming numbers of old Disney contents that went obscure after Vault Disney block discontinued in 2002. Many of those contents weren't aired on Disney Channel when they were premium from 1983 to 1997.

I do think Disney realized Disney+ is unprofitable with loads of contents and ultimately, they mostly stopped add old contents, along with price hikes and cut on numbers of original series, as Disney is retooling the service until they become profitable, so they can resume to add old contents, also some of contents may be license out to other streaming services.

Disney isn't only one, WBD, NBCUniversal and Paramount stopped or slow down on add old contents as they start to license some out to other services, and others went to FAST.

If third party streaming services like Netflix, Amazon and others don't want to carry specific contents and have studios to sell large numbers of contents aren't going to help, so studios would have to put on their own services. For example, no streaming services are interested to carry The Weekenders, and what is Disney's option? They only can put on Disney+ (paid) or FAST service (free).
Is there no other solution to offer old titles deemed to have no commercial value on a non-profit basis? For example, Cartoon Network uploads most of its worldwide dubbed content to YouTube. These are valid in my country and are not offered on any streaming service. It will take time to wait for FAST services to become widespread and come to this side of the world, but even when it does, I doubt Disney will add pre-dubbed content that has aired in certain parts of the world in the past.

For example, Prime Video chose to lease Sweet Valley High or LA Law from Disney's vault. It's not Life with Louie or The Weekenders. Also, why didn't Disney make a global deal for these titles like WBD? For example, why isn't Netflix or Amazon interested in releasing Dark Angel or Legend of the Seeker? In short, we do not know the criteria. I don't know if Disney is holding on to pre-2001 FFW assets or pre-2019 20th Century assets to license them to 3rd party organizations. However, it seems that it is not certain that everything will be given there either.

In summary, my future predictions for how much legacy content streaming platforms will offer are pretty dark, and I don't think it will happen even if streaming becomes profitable.

• Informative
Reactions: Moe

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts