Disney, Warner, and FOX coming together to make a super sports streamer (Venu Sports)

Moe

None of them are really innocent in this area, though. Whether it's through middlemen or DTC, customers will be squeezed as much as possible for live TV, of which the revenue generated will be divvied up between the cable/satellite/live TV companies, media companies, and the sports league
I see Google as the lesser evil when compared to other middlemen and studios.

I'm going to wait and see about what studios do with their sport streaming plan, and of course, anti-competitive behavior is part of my concern.

I do have to point out, the carriage of CBS, CBS Sports, Pop TV, Showtime, Smithsonian, and the CW (pre-Nexstar) was able to help Paramount get BET, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, MTV, etc. to be carried by YouTube TV after the reunification.
YouTube TV and Hulu Live TV didn't carry Viacom/CBS channels at launch. YouTube TV added those major channels in 2020 and added secondary channels in 2021. Hulu added almost all of them in 2021.

@Silverstar @Goldstar! YouTube TV can add Boomerang anytime like they did with other secondary channels, but one question would be when. If they start to carry Weigel owned channels - it is going to be awesome deal, especially if new 24/7 cartoon channel becomes reality. More cartoons for ya.

lowell

I see Google as the lesser evil when compared to other middlemen and studios.

I'm going to wait and see about what studios do with their sport streaming plan, and of course, anti-competitive behavior is part of my concern.

YouTube TV and Hulu Live TV didn't carry Viacom/CBS channels at launch. YouTube TV added those major channels in 2020 and added secondary channels in 2021. Hulu added almost all of them in 2021.

@Silverstar @Goldstar! YouTube TV can add Boomerang anytime like they did with other secondary channels, but one question would be when. If they start to carry Weigel owned channels - it is going to be awesome deal, especially if new 24/7 cartoon channel becomes reality. More cartoons for ya.
Honestly, I also look at it as the next step in the always evolving landscape.

Home media changes formats & availability, the distribution of TV expands beyond traditional cable/satellite, etc.

It's another way to claw as many cord-cutters who still has live TV in the DTC route.

But yeah, we'll have to see where they go with this joint-venture.

That's true they weren't added at launch, but the carriage of sister networks likely helped the other channels get carried as well.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Merge companies : they sleep
Want do a streaming service and not merge together , but with sports: they wake
The Justice Department is now reviewing the idea of this streaming service.

The NFL is also like "woah buddy, only we can be a (near) monopoly!" MSN

lowell

Merge companies : they sleep
Want do a streaming service and not merge together , but with sports: they wake
The Justice Department is now reviewing the idea of this streaming service.

The NFL is also like "woah buddy, only we can be a (near) monopoly!" MSN
The leagues want the prices for the rights to increase as much as possible so that's why every time a contract expires, there is an opportunity for them to start bidding wars between the entertainment companies.

The decline in cable/satellite subscribers makes it harder for those companies to do aggressive bids, thus needing more creative ways to claw more money to pay for these rights.

Even NFL Sunday Ticket was distributed exclusively for many years by DIRECTV, then YouTube TV, and now the NFL licenses it to all businesses that want it.

In the end, consumers get squeezed by the middlemen (cable/satellite/live TV distributors), entertainment companies, and the leagues for all they can get out of them.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
That's interesting. Considering their earlier statements, you would think they'd be all over this.

The ratings on linear tv for this season were at or near record highs, so while they obviously won't abandon streaming, there's no reason to abandon linear tv anytime soon.

Moe

Fubo is suing now, anti-trust and anti competitive is their claim.

I do think this would end up with US Supreme Court's decision and it could establish the precedent to determine whichever constitute the anti-competitive and/or antitrust if those parties don't get settlement out of court.

It could be possible settlement with cable companies and allow them to sell sport only package separately and of course, non-sport package for subscribers who aren't sport fan.

ESPN and other sport cable channels are obviously MUST if you are college football fans like my grandma and mom are two of them.

I have to agree with @lowell about NFL and NCAA want highest price as possible.

Do you heard about YouTube TV surpassed Dish as 4th largest TV provider now?

lowell

I do think this would end up with US Supreme Court's decision and it could establish the precedent to determine whichever constitute the anti-competitive and/or antitrust if those parties don't get settlement out of court.

It could be possible settlement with cable companies and allow them to sell sport only package separately and of course, non-sport package for subscribers who aren't sport fan.

ESPN and other sport cable channels are obviously MUST if you are college football fans like my grandma and mom are two of them.

I have to agree with @lowell about NFL and NCAA want highest price as possible.

Do you heard about YouTube TV surpassed Dish as 4th largest TV provider now?
Yup, the leagues might show similar worries as the cable/satellite/live TV distributors but honestly, if the check clears, they could easily not care about the whole issue.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Didn't they already try this with Hulu?

But once again, it looks like it's Fox and Disney, the two that "play well together" (and Turner, sure, toss them in). It's CBS and NBC that still won't play ball.

Be interested in what MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL think about it.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I'm honestly curious on what the name of the upcoming streaming service will be and in relation to the Fubo lawsuit, Disney has filed a 43-page request for it to be dismissed.

Moe

I'm honestly curious on what the name of the upcoming streaming service will be and in relation to the Fubo lawsuit, Disney has filed a 43-page request for it to be dismissed.
If Fubo win the lawsuit so studios are going to make sure that Fubo is feeling the pain, especially costly carriage disputes, won't able to carry channels anymore and other retaliations. Disney's tactic is kill Fubo and ballooning the numbers of new subscribers on Hulu Live TV.

I don't know if it could warrant the Congress to get involved and fix the flaws like they did with 1992 Cable Act after decade of unfair practices by cable TV companies.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Fubo knows that their doesn't make money business would make less not money if this exists. I do think it should be reviewed a bit more. the local ABC and FOX stations should be slightly concerned if the thing is going to air sports that air on their feeds. There's right for a lot of groups to be at least some what concerned.

• Informative
Reactions: Moe

lowell

If Fubo win the lawsuit so studios are going to make sure that Fubo is feeling the pain, especially costly carriage disputes, won't able to carry channels anymore and other retaliations. Disney's tactic is kill Fubo and ballooning the numbers of new subscribers on Hulu Live TV.

I don't know if it could warrant the Congress to get involved and fix the flaws like they did with 1992 Cable Act after decade of unfair practices by cable TV companies.
I mean, the leagues aren't even innocent here. They're trying to have it both ways, they have their own channels and streaming operations and also licensing to the sports networks.

If there is going to be an official determination, the leagues need to be placed on the list for doing the same thing the entertainment companies are doing to the cable/satellite/live TV companies.

Fubo knows that their doesn't make money business would make less not money if this exists. I do think it should be reviewed a bit more. the local ABC and FOX stations should be slightly concerned if the thing is going to air sports that air on their feeds. There's right for a lot of groups to be at least some what concerned.

People have multiple ways to get their sports programming now: networks through cable/satellite distributors (the entertainment companies, the leagues' own channels) and streaming ( live TV providing the networks, the entertainment companies's services, the leagues' own services)

But in the end, consumers will still get squeezed by the middlemen (cable/satellite/live TV distributors), entertainment companies, and the leagues for all they can get out of them.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
This does seem like a good idea but the leagues/sports networks need to be careful since outside of breaking news/cable news and Yellowstone episodes, sports still bring in huge ratings for both broadcast and cable networks. No need to really mess with that right now, even with cord cutting.

lowell

This does seem like a good idea but the leagues/sports networks need to be careful since outside of breaking news/cable news and Yellowstone episodes, sports still bring in huge ratings for both broadcast and cable networks. No need to really mess with that right now, even with cord cutting.
Either way, the leagues, the entertainment companies, and the cable/satellite/live TV companies still thrive in all the revenue that's brought in.

If it's still lucrative in any way, they will all work together to make sure it continues in any shape or form until it's no longer possible to do so.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts