Dr. Doom's scars: Your preference

Doom's face

• Total voters

Samhaine

Time To Relax
Also, someone correct me if I am wrong about this, but didn't they make two versions of the Marvel Legends Dr. Doom figure, with removable mask... one with horrible burns and one with a simple scar?? I can attest to the burned one because I have it, but I am pretty sure there is a small scar version as well.
Kind of. While they did release two versions, a regular and a chase. The regular was the burned face, and the chase was a Doombot. Apparently, the original idea was to release the figure the opposite way, with the Doombot being the regular and the real Doom being hard to find - just like in the comics. They realized response would not have been positive, and reversed it.

Nightwing

WF Old Man
Not necessarily, I believe if you brace yourself to expect something horrifying and then see nothing, you would be horrified in a "THIS GUY IS GOD DAMN NUTS!!!" kinda way. It would be a shock.

Possibly, but only if it's established shortly beforehand that he says he's very physically scarred before showing you. Since we know Doom, we know about his face. Obviously anyone else wouldn't look at Dr. Doom, check out his scary mask and say, "he must be hideously deformed under there." The fact that he's batty is the reason why I'd go with the one scar. It's better than going with the movies in which he pretty much mostly has NO scars most of the time. ;)

Lots of great points in the thread about his face, but I have to go with Ditko, by simple preference. I also lean towards not knowing at all, because imagination is ALWAYS the right choice in comic book matters, but when a character is developed for decades, things left unsaid can eventually come up (and it's okay that they do). Again, zillions of great points in the thread, but I can't help but remember that one general constant: Ditko good, Byrne bad. lol, sorry, I liked a little of Byrne's work, but that's all. Maybe it's a bias, I dunno.

Also, someone correct me if I am wrong about this, but didn't they make two versions of the Marvel Legends Dr. Doom figure, with removable mask... one with horrible burns and one with a simple scar?? I can attest to the burned one because I have it, but I am pretty sure there is a small scar version as well.

That's pretty weird and interesting. Maybe it just looks worse if Doom has his mask of and stands in a certain kind of light that disagrees with him, or wears an outfit that doens't quite go with his eyes. ;) Boy am I reaching.

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
Possibly, but only if it's established shortly beforehand that he says he's very physically scarred before showing you. Since we know Doom, we know about his face. Obviously anyone else wouldn't look at Dr. Doom, check out his scary mask and say, "he must be hideously deformed under there." The fact that he's batty is the reason why I'd go with the one scar. It's better than going with the movies in which he pretty much mostly has NO scars most of the time. ;)

Lots of great points in the thread about his face, but I have to go with Ditko, by simple preference. I also lean towards not knowing at all, because imagination is ALWAYS the right choice in comic book matters, but when a character is developed for decades, things left unsaid can eventually come up (and it's okay that they do). Again, zillions of great points in the thread, but I can't help but remember that one general constant: Ditko good, Byrne bad. lol, sorry, I liked a little of Byrne's work, but that's all. Maybe it's a bias, I dunno.

That's pretty weird and interesting. Maybe it just looks worse if Doom has his mask of and stands in a certain kind of light that disagrees with him, or wears an outfit that doens't quite go with his eyes. ;) Boy am I reaching.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you mean Kirby. Not Ditko. And if you really believe Kirby=always good, I've got copies of The Dingbats of Danger Street, Devil Dinosaur and Captain Victory that I will sell to you for $50 each.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingbats_of_Danger_Street

Nightwing

WF Old Man
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you mean Kirby. Not Ditko. And if you really believe Kirby=always good, I've got copies of The Dingbats of Danger Street, Devil Dinosaur and Captain Victory that I will sell to you for $50 each.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingbats_of_Danger_Street

Sorry, comic brain fart. I most certainly meant to say Jack Kirby.

Dingbats, huh? Don't tempt me. I'm very analytical and detail-oriented, so I'm sure I could find perfectly logical reasons why such a group of characters existed and were created by Kirby. :p

Shawn Hopkins

Sorry, comic brain fart. I most certainly meant to say Jack Kirby.

Dingbats, huh? Don't tempt me. I'm very analytical and detail-oriented, so I'm sure I could find perfectly logical reasons why such a group of characters existed and were created by Kirby. :p

He needed the money. Actually, he really did. One of the reasons he left Marvel was because they wouldn't provide health insurance. For all of the multi-million dollar franchises he created or co-created, he saw very, very little of the profits from them. The "King" of comics sure wasn't treated like it for most of his career.

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter

Shawn Hopkins

I KNOW you're not dissing Devil Dinosaur, the Mightiest of All in an Age when GIANTS walked the world.

Devil Dinosaur is AWESOME. 'Nuff said!

:p

-- Ed

I love Devil Dinosaur like a fat kid love cake. Moon-Boy, too. Just saying that not everything he did was a perfect, blockbuster hit. Some of it is more appreciated by those who love the weird.

I rescued that issue of Dingbats of Danger Street from a quarter bin, by the way, I didn't discover it on some Web site where people point and laugh at weird old comics. And I buy weird and quirky Kirby stuff whenever I find it within my price range, like my super trippy Captain Victory and OMAC issues. I love Kirby and his contributions to the medium, I was just trying to make a point that no creator is infallible.

As for your link:

"Bonk! Bonk! Bonk!" That may be the best choice of sound effect of all time.

Doop

Mutant cucumber!
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Byrne's retcon sort of like a compromise between what Lee and Kirby wanted? Lee want it so Doom's face was left horribly scarred by the accident, and Kirby wanted it so that it only left a small scar. Byrne made it so the accident only left a small scar, but when Doom put the metal mask on it left him horribly scarred. And while I prefer the "Only has a small scar" version, I think Byrne still wrote a pretty good Doom and did a lot for his character.

Also, what was the Kirby issue with Doom and Thor in it?

Concerning the action figures; the Marvel Legends II Doom figure has a removable mask where his face has the small scar, whereas the Marvel Legends Ronan series (where each figure came with a small piece of Ronan, and the pieces from all the figures would make a giant Ronan figure when put together) Doom had a removable mask where is face was horribly scarred.

http://marvellegends.net/Faces/pages/DrDoom.htm

Russkafin

Bringer of Darkness
Concerning the action figures; the Marvel Legends II Doom figure has a removable mask where his face has the small scar, whereas the Marvel Legends Ronan series (where each figure came with a small piece of Ronan, and the pieces from all the figures would make a giant Ronan figure when put together) Doom had a removable mask where is face was horribly scarred.

http://marvellegends.net/Faces/pages/DrDoom.htm

Doop, thanks for the clarification on the figures. The Doom figure I have is actually another version even than any of those... he came with a Fantastic Four Gift Pack that also included the FF, Franklin, and HERBIE the robot. With his mask on he looks like the Marvel Legends Series 2 fig, but under the mask he is horribly scarred, though he looks different from the Ronan series version!!

http://www.action-figure.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=ImageBank&file=index&id=38147

Last edited by a moderator:

Doop

Mutant cucumber!
Ok, so people were talking about the Thor issue where Donald Blake sees Doom's face.

I did some research; the issue where that happened was in The Mighty Thor #182. Kirby wasn't involved with that issue; it was written by Stan Lee and illustrated by John Buscema.

AlgeaX

Oh, hello?
Something that makes the "tiny scar" theory a bit more plausible is the fact with all his wacky super science and mastery of the dark arts, Doom has apparently never been able to fix up his face by himself. This makes a bit more sense if we suppose the damage is mainly psychological.

Kazuya Prower

Keeping it Tails since 2005
I love Jack Kirby, but sometimes people can fall too far over into the "Kirby is God" thing and start to think everything he ever did was right and all his own and ignore the positive contributions of his co-creators. Would you, for instance, prefer Kirby's standard superhero vision of the proto-Spider-Man to what we eventually got? This is from an essay on the subject by Ditko.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_JpznoEUR-gY/SNfkhBhQzuI/AAAAAAAAABo/_a7fSU-GWcI/s1600-h/Kirbys_Spiderman_page2.jpg
I can't believe Kirby wanted Spidey to look like that.

Doop, thanks for the clarification on the figures. The Doom figure I have is actually another version even than any of those... he came with a Fantastic Four Gift Pack that also included the FF, Franklin, and HERBIE the robot. With his mask on he looks like the Marvel Legends Series 2 fig, but under the mask he is horribly scarred, though he looks different from the Ronan series version!!

http://www.action-figure.com/modules...dex&i d=38147
Heh, he looks like Freddy Krueger's long lost twin.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?
TVLand, CMT, MTV2 (as well as Nickelodeon channels) will be simulcasting Kids Choice Award 2024 according to zap2it!

Featured Posts